Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Quitting Gym Advice 11:38 - Jun 29 with 25999 viewsWeaverQPR

G/F decided she hasn't got the time to go to the gym. The gym membership is £20pm no contract.

15/6 a months payment goes out, g/f decides to quit and emails gym. Gym replies says contact Harlands who do the the Direct debit.

17/6 emails harlands to say DD has been cancelled with immediate effect and here is my 14 days notice.

This weekend receives a letter from Harlands insisting we reinstate the DD before the 15/7 or incur admin charges? Theres no outstanding membership fees, no contract so surely thats the end of the matter. JD gyms themselves even say to cancel just stop the DD and inform in writing which she did on the 17/6.

@WeavQPR

Quitting Gym Advice on 12:19 - Jun 29 with 25918 viewsswisscottage

There's usually a notice period.

No Contract often relates to a monthly rolling agreement.

Even though is says 'no contract' in all likelihood there's a terms and conditions which will stipulate a notice period on the DD cancellation.

However they need to have informed her that there is a notice period. This will probably be with paperwork provided at the time of making out the direct debit. If they provided this and she hasn't read the T&Cs then she will need to pay the final month.
Quitting Gym Advice on 12:29 - Jun 29 with 25880 viewsWeaverQPR

you pay a month up front so paid on the 15th june for a month so there shouldn't be any outstanding payments, and gave them two weeks notice on the 17th

@WeavQPR

Quitting Gym Advice on 12:56 - Jun 29 with 25808 viewsswisscottage

JD gyms require a 30day notice period I think.

Here's a link to someone else having problems with JD/Harlands on consumeractiongroup website, you'll likely get better advice there:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?448004-JD-Gym-Harlands
Quitting Gym Advice on 13:20 - Jun 29 with 25753 viewsYorkRanger

If you are confident in your position and that you haven't breached any Terms or Conditions then just instruct your bank not to meet any future direct debit requests
Quitting Gym Advice on 20:09 - Jun 29 with 25551 viewsLblock

I had a small mare doing this with Fitness First.

My 3 month introductory period expired, I let it slide and carried on using for a while then my back flared up so i stopped going and cancelled DD
They rang chasing and I said I'd left.
Then they wrote, I wrote back.
Then they rang and we had a row
Then they sent a letter threatening court action and to instruct baliffs to reclaim £185.00 plus admin plus legal fees
I wrote back by recorded delivery, quoted the verbal assurances I was given when signing contract, referred to the UFCTA 1977, the four fundamentals of a contract plus time extinguishing plus said I'd be launching a counter suit for harassment and stress.
They rang and were refreshingly sheepish and offered to settle for a fiver!!! I went mental but the very apologetic girl said this was an "admin release fee"... I just paid it in the end (the fiver that is).

Once bitten --- now I'm very wary of release notice periods and termination in gym contracts. I went as far as to cross the standard T&C out of my current contract and add my own handwritten part about notice to cancel plus one of the grounds being if I had to move away from the area due to deployment or redundancy. The were great about it and agreed subject to a letter of proof from my employer plus also added in any injury with a letter from my quack.
I've no intention of leaving unless any of the above happen as it's a fantastic gym!!!

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Quitting Gym Advice on 20:35 - Jun 29 with 25515 viewsHoop_Du_Jour

Go down there with a rounders bat and smack the the fock out of them, very anaerobic.
Quitting Gym Advice on 20:52 - Jun 29 with 25501 viewsTacticalR

Everyone should make a New Year's Resolution to quit gyms.

Air hostess clique

Quitting Gym Advice on 21:13 - Jun 29 with 25459 viewsBklynRanger

Quitting Gym Advice on 20:09 - Jun 29 by Lblock

My 3 month introductory period expired, I let it slide and carried on using for a while then my back flared up so i stopped going and cancelled DD
Then they sent a letter threatening court action and to instruct baliffs to reclaim £185.00 plus admin plus legal fees
I wrote back by recorded delivery, quoted the verbal assurances I was given when signing contract, referred to the UFCTA 1977, the four fundamentals of a contract plus time extinguishing plus said I'd be launching a counter suit for harassment and stress.
They rang and were refreshingly sheepish and offered to settle for a fiver!!! I went mental but the very apologetic girl said this was an "admin release fee"... I just paid it in the end (the fiver that is).

Once bitten --- now I'm very wary of release notice periods and termination in gym contracts. I went as far as to cross the standard T&C out of my current contract and add my own handwritten part about notice to cancel plus one of the grounds being if I had to move away from the area due to deployment or redundancy. The were great about it and agreed subject to a letter of proof from my employer plus also added in any injury with a letter from my quack.
I've no intention of leaving unless any of the above happen as it's a fantastic gym!!!

Fcuking impressive consumer self-advocacy. I need more of that in my daily words and actions.
Login to get fewer ads

Quitting Gym Advice on 08:43 - Jun 30 with 25309 viewsWokingR

I think you are all missing the point here.
The worry isn't an extra £20 here or there
The big concern is that he might end up with a fat girlfriend once she stops going to the gym
Quitting Gym Advice on 08:53 - Jun 30 with 25294 viewsDiscodroids

back in the early 2000's my old boss in the city signed up to a flash gym under lloyds of london, right gym freak, fought for wales in karate at the commonwealth games in the 80's ..6ft 3 and a ringer for chris lewis the former england cricket player .

anyway he decided after about a week all the pencil necks were'nt for him so he played out the old don logan scenairo from the plane and the cabin crew.

said he was propositioned by a member of the male staff and that he had no option but to terminate his contract with them and demanded a full refund.

job done .they was falling over themselves to accommodate him

"the one with the ginger hair."

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Quitting Gym Advice on 10:30 - Jun 30 with 25244 viewsLewes_r

Gyms are bollox.. they are losing members left right and centre.. the fad is dying

i know the weather aint good in this country but you can get better exercise for free outside.. even just walking.. or play some team sport

much cheaper.. their days are numbered!

this has nothing to do with OP but fancied a rant

Poll: Who do we want down with us and Burnley?

Quitting Gym Advice on 15:25 - Jun 30 with 25182 viewsBklynRanger

Quitting Gym Advice on 10:30 - Jun 30 by Lewes_r

Gyms are bollox.. they are losing members left right and centre.. the fad is dying

i know the weather aint good in this country but you can get better exercise for free outside.. even just walking.. or play some team sport

much cheaper.. their days are numbered!

this has nothing to do with OP but fancied a rant

Was just reading about Georges Hebert and his Natural Method Training on the way to work this morning.

I was knackered after about 5 pages BOOM BOOM!

Quitting Gym Advice on 08:34 - Jan 12 with 10892 viewsJamieMyers

Hello, you old to engrave magnificent, except the last few posts have been kinda boring… I skip your super writings. Historical several posts are merely a bit out of track! extend on!
<a href=" Link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" title="Do you trust this link?">https://www.fiverr.com/sereen/submit-60-exclusive-dofollow-comments-from-20pr2-2 Building Service</a>
[Post edited 12 Jan 2019 8:34]
Quitting Gym Advice on 10:58 - Jan 12 with 10697 viewsLoftgirl

Quitting Gym Advice on 08:34 - Jan 12 by JamieMyers

Hello, you old to engrave magnificent, except the last few posts have been kinda boring… I skip your super writings. Historical several posts are merely a bit out of track! extend on!
<a href=" Link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" title="Do you trust this link?">https://www.fiverr.com/sereen/submit-60-exclusive-dofollow-comments-from-20pr2-2 Building Service</a>
[Post edited 12 Jan 2019 8:34]

What?
Quitting Gym Advice on 11:00 - Jan 12 with 10692 viewsdanehoop

Quitting Gym Advice on 10:58 - Jan 12 by Loftgirl

What?

He can also sell you a kitchen.......reported to Clive

Never knowingly understood

Quitting Gym Advice on 14:37 - Jan 12 with 10497 viewsSimonJames

I gave up my gym membership 12 years ago. One of the best decisions I've made.
Bought a Concept II Rower, a chin up bar, some adjustable dumbells, resistance bands, and learned loads of bodyweight exercises. Save me thousands of hours not traveling to a gym and I can train when I like and as often times in the day (e.g. rowing early morning, strength exercises in the evening).

100% of people who drink water will die.

Quitting Gym Advice on 16:42 - Jan 12 with 10418 viewsthame_hoops

Quitting Gym Advice on 14:37 - Jan 12 by SimonJames

I gave up my gym membership 12 years ago. One of the best decisions I've made.
Bought a Concept II Rower, a chin up bar, some adjustable dumbells, resistance bands, and learned loads of bodyweight exercises. Save me thousands of hours not traveling to a gym and I can train when I like and as often times in the day (e.g. rowing early morning, strength exercises in the evening).

That’s great if you have the room for all that stuff and worth doing. I’m strapped for space

I enjoy the Social aspect of my gym and the HIIT classes
Quitting Gym Advice on 14:35 - Jan 13 with 10194 viewsSimonJames

Quitting Gym Advice on 16:42 - Jan 12 by thame_hoops

That’s great if you have the room for all that stuff and worth doing. I’m strapped for space

I enjoy the Social aspect of my gym and the HIIT classes

I don't have space, but all I need is a temporary area 6ftx6ft (or 9ftx4ft for the rower - which separates into two pieces).
I have a small cupboard that I get things out of when I need them, and I train in the kitchen (or living room for the rower).

100% of people who drink water will die.

Quitting Gym Advice on 22:48 - Jan 13 with 10052 viewsCiderwithRsie

The old scam with Gyms used to be that you didn't have a monthly fee, you had a year's fee up front which you paid by a credit agreement (probably interest-free) and then paid off the credit monthly.

That way you could cancel the gym membership any time you liked but all that meant was that you couldn't use the facilities, you still had to pay th minty instalments. I think that's been clamped down on a bit.

TBH it's a dodgy old world, they sell memberships but know full well most people won't stick it out. Instead on working on ways to keep customers wanting to go they resort to this sort of crap so they can get their money anyway.
Quitting Gym Advice on 10:59 - Jan 14 with 9946 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Quitting Gym Advice on 20:09 - Jun 29 by Lblock

Shepherd would be proud!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024