Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ramsey satisfied after Newport game 21:41 - Jul 26 with 10995 viewsSomersetHoops

REALLY!?????

Who's Next?

Ramsey satisfied after Newport game on 21:51 - Jul 26 with 9144 viewsGetMeRangers

http://www.qpr.co.uk/news/article/qpr-newport-county-chris-ramsey-pre-season-257

Not disastrous given that it was the first pre-season game for some. Also he has highlighted the areas which we need to address. Surely you dont expect him to say otherwise?

Certainly some positives to be taken from today... in my eyes anyway. Ale back. Chery looks promising . Poulter not so, though

At least we are trying to play football rather than hoofing down the field
Ramsey satisfied after Newport game on 21:58 - Jul 26 with 9099 viewsMaggsinho

It's almost like it's a preseason friendly to get some minutes under their belt and he has the nerve to be satisfied at that?
Ramsey satisfied after Newport game on 22:01 - Jul 26 with 9080 viewsSomersetHoops

He promised honesty I expect no less. For whatever reasons and with a few exceptions in the good signings we are too far away from where we need to be to be anywhere near satisfied. Lets not kid ourselves; unless we get things sorted quickly we are in for another few hammerings at the start of the season.

Who's Next?

Ramsey satisfied after Newport game on 22:15 - Jul 26 with 9001 viewsDylanP

Ramsey satisfied after Newport game on 22:01 - Jul 26 by SomersetHoops

He promised honesty I expect no less. For whatever reasons and with a few exceptions in the good signings we are too far away from where we need to be to be anywhere near satisfied. Lets not kid ourselves; unless we get things sorted quickly we are in for another few hammerings at the start of the season.

Oh for gawks sake. Stop being such drama queen, the season hasn't even started yet!!

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

Ramsey satisfied after Newport game on 22:21 - Jul 26 with 8954 viewsDorse

When I read the title of the thread, I was expecting salacious gossip.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Ramsey satisfied after Newport game on 22:35 - Jul 26 with 8913 viewsRuislipHoop

Every pre season in the last eight years I have wished and hoped for inspiring signs for the season ahead and every season has dished up its various forms of disappointment.
This will be the first pre season where I expect nothing more than the previous one,s and I will not be gutted if the season pans out to be not what I had hoped for, but at least now the team we will be watching is not filled with over aged, over paid has beens.
Ramsey satisfied after Newport game on 07:52 - Jul 27 with 8548 viewsqueensparker

We always look crap pre-season, year in year out. The years we got promoted we looked crap, the years we came mid table in the top division we looked crap. Nobody wants to get injured, nobody's fit. I wouldn't get too wound up about it
Ramsey satisfied after Newport game on 08:49 - Jul 27 with 8387 viewsderbyhoop

It does seem that our pre-season has left us underprepared and not up to the necessary fitness levels.
Defensively, we appear very vulnerable. Although we've hardly played our first choice CB pairing - Onouha and Caulker. Yun is still injured and we have no cover for Furlong.
Midfield - we currently have too many options and I couldn't pick the starters as yet.
Up front - I find it difficult to believe that Austin will be with us after the transfer window closes, but he may start the season. He doesn't seem to be fit and his replacements (JET and Polter) appear to be struggling.

An awful lot of work remains to be done.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Login to get fewer ads

Ramsey satisfied after Newport game on 09:03 - Jul 27 with 8349 viewsWeaverQPR

From the outside looking in it looks like a shambles and given last years pre season that's going some.
No fullbacks and no centre forwards. Austin not fit and one game to go. Team gelling?

@WeavQPR

Ramsey satisfied after Newport game on 09:51 - Jul 27 with 8234 viewsadhoc_qpr

Ramsey satisfied after Newport game on 08:49 - Jul 27 by derbyhoop

It does seem that our pre-season has left us underprepared and not up to the necessary fitness levels.
Defensively, we appear very vulnerable. Although we've hardly played our first choice CB pairing - Onouha and Caulker. Yun is still injured and we have no cover for Furlong.
Midfield - we currently have too many options and I couldn't pick the starters as yet.
Up front - I find it difficult to believe that Austin will be with us after the transfer window closes, but he may start the season. He doesn't seem to be fit and his replacements (JET and Polter) appear to be struggling.

An awful lot of work remains to be done.

What was Polter like?

Any promising signs or is it going to take a bedding in period before we know if he's up to it or not?
Ramsey satisfied after Newport game on 09:54 - Jul 27 with 8219 viewsdaveB

Ramsey satisfied after Newport game on 07:52 - Jul 27 by queensparker

We always look crap pre-season, year in year out. The years we got promoted we looked crap, the years we came mid table in the top division we looked crap. Nobody wants to get injured, nobody's fit. I wouldn't get too wound up about it

I'd go along with that, we have the same moans every year
Ramsey satisfied after Newport game on 10:15 - Jul 27 with 8151 viewsNeil_SI

I'm reasonably satisfied by what I've seen so far and there's plenty to be encouraged about.

Here's why.

It's the small details that matter, not the overall performances or results. Yes there will be some problems that need addressing — but that's normal.

You have to first look at the football you see before you consider the performance and results, or the personnel, and then you have to get an idea about the personnel and how they will come together to form a core nucleus of players that make up the starting squad.

I've watched a couple of matches on a stream and have been to see us play against Dundee United and Newport County.

I'm only interested in the small details, so I'll focus on those, because these are the things that give you the clues on what's going on behind the scenes.

Let's take Tjarron Chery as an example. He took a free-kick in the first-half against Newport, a poor one, that struck the wall and then we were suddenly being hit on the counter attack.

The free-kick was to the right of the penalty box, but the resulting play materialised quickly down our left side, with Darnell Furlong and Jay Emmanuel-Thomas nowhere to be seen on our right as they were lagging behind having been so far forward for the free-kick.

Chery sprinted quietly back into position and filled in for them. He took responsibility for team shape and waited until the danger averted and cover arrived before heading back into position.

How often could you say that last season when it came to the likes of Junior Hoilett or Leroy Fer, for example? Even some of our central midfield players wouldn't have done that for the team.

That's just one of many small examples I've seen from things we've worked on.

Against Newport, the deepest lying central midfielder often dropped back on top of his centre-back when the opposition had the ball, creating a sandwich between them and the opposing striker and freeing up the other central defender to sweep in behind if necessary or pick up someone else who might be lurking. That is something I haven't seen Rangers do for years.

I've seen much better build up play from the back and more intelligent passing into corridors of space, that they've clearly worked on. Against Dundee United, I saw Nedum Onouha make far better passes than I've actually really ever seen him play. He wasn't on the ball, nervously waving his hands around "jazz hands" style like he can do, he simply knew what runs were going to be made and where to slot his pass.

Across the last two matches, I've seen balls sprayed into wide areas, intelligent switches and passages of play designed to encourage the full-backs to attack and overlap and provide additional support to attacks.

We've got into great positions out wide and have clearly worked on trying to put balls into the box with players supporting quickly from behind or the other flank to get into the penalty area. Sure, the quality of delivery isn't quite there yet, but the potential most certainly is.

But more importantly. Whenever the play has broken down, we've worked hard to get back into shape and pick up in the event of being hit on the counter. The legs and pace of the team have allowed us to be a lot more dynamic in our response to defence and attack.

Yes we have weaknesses. And the set up has provided a much clearer separation at this point between roles and who is supposed to do what in defence and attack, therefore, there are occasions where we're asking particular units to deal with particular scenarios. Some of that we've done well with and some of that we haven't, however, we've also not played our strongest side in these games, so you have to balance both the good and bad elements in your mind with what it looks like and will be like when the best team is available.

I like that we've looked fast and incisive on the counter attack ourselves, with several occasions where we moved up the pitch quickly after winning the ball.

We've also worked on some passages of play that allow the reverse through ball to be played to runners from deep, as we saw with Matt Phillips' goal against Dundee, as well as numerous nearly there opportunities across both games, and again, the pace and legs of the side allow us to play this way now — it's not something we could have done with just Bobby Zamora or Charlie Austin leading the line.

We've worked on picking up the ball from deep and playing it around comfortably at the back, but to open our lines of attack and not just willy nilly kicking the ball up field, which is a huge bonus if they can maintain that going forward, especially if they don't dally around there too long.

The triangle in midfield was nicely set up and positioned across both games. It wasn't two sitting deep with one in front, it was more of a rotated triangle, with one deep to protect the defence, one further forward to the right and one even further forward to apply pressure on opposing players on the ball. The balance of this triangle makes for good pressing in zones, but also really good options to pass and move the ball quickly.

So there are lots of positives.

Yes we could have looked a little sharper in front of goal in these games, yes we do need some additional players, particularly in defensive areas, but with what they're trying to do — there's things there that will hopefully fall into place either way.

There are always going to be concerns and unknowns, particularly with a new team. I wasn't impressed, for example, with how Emmanuel-Thomas berated the kids all the time when they didn't do something he wanted from them, or to the level he wanted. It lacked a bit of sensitive encouragement, but that might have just been one game, it doesn't make it terrible and the kids do need to learn.

The second half the match petered out, but we had a lot of youngsters on the pitch and some of their play was youthful.

Across the two matches so far, I'd say Massimo Luongo is crucial to the way we want to maintain possession and attack — we tried him in two different roles across both games — which again is sensible to see how that works and when he went off, Alejandro Faurlin didn't quite have the same style or range of passing so wasn't as effective.
Ramsey satisfied after Newport game on 10:29 - Jul 27 with 8097 viewsAntti_Heinola

Ramsey satisfied after Newport game on 10:15 - Jul 27 by Neil_SI

I'm reasonably satisfied by what I've seen so far and there's plenty to be encouraged about.

Here's why.

It's the small details that matter, not the overall performances or results. Yes there will be some problems that need addressing — but that's normal.

You have to first look at the football you see before you consider the performance and results, or the personnel, and then you have to get an idea about the personnel and how they will come together to form a core nucleus of players that make up the starting squad.

I've watched a couple of matches on a stream and have been to see us play against Dundee United and Newport County.

I'm only interested in the small details, so I'll focus on those, because these are the things that give you the clues on what's going on behind the scenes.

Let's take Tjarron Chery as an example. He took a free-kick in the first-half against Newport, a poor one, that struck the wall and then we were suddenly being hit on the counter attack.

The free-kick was to the right of the penalty box, but the resulting play materialised quickly down our left side, with Darnell Furlong and Jay Emmanuel-Thomas nowhere to be seen on our right as they were lagging behind having been so far forward for the free-kick.

Chery sprinted quietly back into position and filled in for them. He took responsibility for team shape and waited until the danger averted and cover arrived before heading back into position.

How often could you say that last season when it came to the likes of Junior Hoilett or Leroy Fer, for example? Even some of our central midfield players wouldn't have done that for the team.

That's just one of many small examples I've seen from things we've worked on.

Against Newport, the deepest lying central midfielder often dropped back on top of his centre-back when the opposition had the ball, creating a sandwich between them and the opposing striker and freeing up the other central defender to sweep in behind if necessary or pick up someone else who might be lurking. That is something I haven't seen Rangers do for years.

I've seen much better build up play from the back and more intelligent passing into corridors of space, that they've clearly worked on. Against Dundee United, I saw Nedum Onouha make far better passes than I've actually really ever seen him play. He wasn't on the ball, nervously waving his hands around "jazz hands" style like he can do, he simply knew what runs were going to be made and where to slot his pass.

Across the last two matches, I've seen balls sprayed into wide areas, intelligent switches and passages of play designed to encourage the full-backs to attack and overlap and provide additional support to attacks.

We've got into great positions out wide and have clearly worked on trying to put balls into the box with players supporting quickly from behind or the other flank to get into the penalty area. Sure, the quality of delivery isn't quite there yet, but the potential most certainly is.

But more importantly. Whenever the play has broken down, we've worked hard to get back into shape and pick up in the event of being hit on the counter. The legs and pace of the team have allowed us to be a lot more dynamic in our response to defence and attack.

Yes we have weaknesses. And the set up has provided a much clearer separation at this point between roles and who is supposed to do what in defence and attack, therefore, there are occasions where we're asking particular units to deal with particular scenarios. Some of that we've done well with and some of that we haven't, however, we've also not played our strongest side in these games, so you have to balance both the good and bad elements in your mind with what it looks like and will be like when the best team is available.

I like that we've looked fast and incisive on the counter attack ourselves, with several occasions where we moved up the pitch quickly after winning the ball.

We've also worked on some passages of play that allow the reverse through ball to be played to runners from deep, as we saw with Matt Phillips' goal against Dundee, as well as numerous nearly there opportunities across both games, and again, the pace and legs of the side allow us to play this way now — it's not something we could have done with just Bobby Zamora or Charlie Austin leading the line.

We've worked on picking up the ball from deep and playing it around comfortably at the back, but to open our lines of attack and not just willy nilly kicking the ball up field, which is a huge bonus if they can maintain that going forward, especially if they don't dally around there too long.

The triangle in midfield was nicely set up and positioned across both games. It wasn't two sitting deep with one in front, it was more of a rotated triangle, with one deep to protect the defence, one further forward to the right and one even further forward to apply pressure on opposing players on the ball. The balance of this triangle makes for good pressing in zones, but also really good options to pass and move the ball quickly.

So there are lots of positives.

Yes we could have looked a little sharper in front of goal in these games, yes we do need some additional players, particularly in defensive areas, but with what they're trying to do — there's things there that will hopefully fall into place either way.

There are always going to be concerns and unknowns, particularly with a new team. I wasn't impressed, for example, with how Emmanuel-Thomas berated the kids all the time when they didn't do something he wanted from them, or to the level he wanted. It lacked a bit of sensitive encouragement, but that might have just been one game, it doesn't make it terrible and the kids do need to learn.

The second half the match petered out, but we had a lot of youngsters on the pitch and some of their play was youthful.

Across the two matches so far, I'd say Massimo Luongo is crucial to the way we want to maintain possession and attack — we tried him in two different roles across both games — which again is sensible to see how that works and when he went off, Alejandro Faurlin didn't quite have the same style or range of passing so wasn't as effective.

Great stuff, thanks Neil.

Bare bones.

Ramsey satisfied after Newport game on 10:49 - Jul 27 with 8027 viewsngbqpr

What Neil said

Also...CR has effectively said we're looking to bring in 3-4 more defenders, not like he's blissfully unaware...equally, for the new look, realistic, 'prudent' QPR a defence at Charlton of Furlong / Onouha / Caulker / Yun isn't too shabby is it?

It's all about what's happening that we can't see - in short, do we have replacements lined up for Austin & Phillips if / when they go...and are they scouted & budgeted replacements rather than Redknapp style knee jerk reaction signings of crocks and players he's managed before on excessive wages

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Ramsey satisfied after Newport game on 10:50 - Jul 27 with 8016 viewsSomersetHoops

We had a good pre-season in advance of being promoted under Warnock. It was clear the unheralded players he had brought in were becoming a bit of a special unit and were enjoying playing for him and QPR. The following season it was different when the players who had won us promotion were being poorly treated and told they were only around until the sale was done so they could be replaced by "better" ones. I recall a pre-season game under Wilkins against Exeter when Kevin Gallen was returning from injury and he and the team were awful - another relegation.

In recent times the first Warnock season was the only time I've felt genuinely optimistic about our prospects for the new season after watching pre-season games. Since then I have considered pre-season to be a good indication of how we will perform in the real games and I don't accept they are unimportant.

Who's Next?

Ramsey satisfied after Newport game on 10:57 - Jul 27 with 7984 viewsdodge_stoke_r

Ramsey satisfied after Newport game on 22:35 - Jul 26 by RuislipHoop

Every pre season in the last eight years I have wished and hoped for inspiring signs for the season ahead and every season has dished up its various forms of disappointment.
This will be the first pre season where I expect nothing more than the previous one,s and I will not be gutted if the season pans out to be not what I had hoped for, but at least now the team we will be watching is not filled with over aged, over paid has beens.

Am I reading this right? Are you saying that you are happy to watch a sh!t team so long as it doesn't contain expensively paid players?
Ramsey satisfied after Newport game on 10:59 - Jul 27 with 7975 viewsNorthernr

Ramsey satisfied after Newport game on 10:50 - Jul 27 by SomersetHoops

We had a good pre-season in advance of being promoted under Warnock. It was clear the unheralded players he had brought in were becoming a bit of a special unit and were enjoying playing for him and QPR. The following season it was different when the players who had won us promotion were being poorly treated and told they were only around until the sale was done so they could be replaced by "better" ones. I recall a pre-season game under Wilkins against Exeter when Kevin Gallen was returning from injury and he and the team were awful - another relegation.

In recent times the first Warnock season was the only time I've felt genuinely optimistic about our prospects for the new season after watching pre-season games. Since then I have considered pre-season to be a good indication of how we will perform in the real games and I don't accept they are unimportant.

That's a myth - we dicked on some amateur sides in Cornwall and went round to his for a barbecue. A week before the season we played Plymouth and we were absolutely dreadful.
Ramsey satisfied after Newport game on 11:08 - Jul 27 with 7937 viewsadhoc_qpr

Ramsey satisfied after Newport game on 10:59 - Jul 27 by Northernr

That's a myth - we dicked on some amateur sides in Cornwall and went round to his for a barbecue. A week before the season we played Plymouth and we were absolutely dreadful.

Didn't Hogan Ephraim score about 234 goals that pre-season?

Whatever happened to him anyway!?

We are a shambles, but we're probably not the only ones!

However, Charlton seem to have built a big, physical team which might not make it the best game to rely on unproven kids at fullback and a tentative Ali Faurlin in midfield!

http://www.wharf.co.uk/sport/charlton-use-brute-force-bash-9733426
Ramsey satisfied after Newport game on 11:16 - Jul 27 with 7903 viewsWeaverQPR

Ramsey is just satisfied he's still employed after we got relegated.

@WeavQPR

Ramsey satisfied after Newport game on 11:17 - Jul 27 with 7898 viewsNeil_SI

Ramsey satisfied after Newport game on 10:29 - Jul 27 by Antti_Heinola

Great stuff, thanks Neil.

Cheers.

Actually what I really liked, and forgot to mention, was how often we've put three or four players right on the opposition backline whenever we've had the ball at the back, either with Robert Green or when playing it out from the back.

That's slightly risky perhaps, but when the ball comes in, if you win the first or second ball, suddenly the opposition are under a lot of pressure. So I really love that, obviously that can cause some problems if the delivery is not up to scratch in terms of defensive reaction, but those are real positive signs of intent to me. But that's one of the reasons why technical players who can pass, like Luongo, are crucial to the system.

Aside from that, we've seen occasions where the wide players have tucked in defensively to thicken the midfield, or even come in very centrally and picking the ball up deep. The latter one I like, but am not so sure about in terms of I haven't seen it used well enough on the counter yet.

In addition, for the central midfielders, at least two of them have been given the license to roam in the last two matches. We've seen them popping up on the left or right flanks, or getting beyond the striker or joining alongside them, which is an encouraging sign. Again, the legs of those players make those transitions and movement possible, as I couldn't see players like Barton, Sandro, etc, being able to do that.
Ramsey satisfied after Newport game on 11:26 - Jul 27 with 7842 viewsAntti_Heinola

Ramsey satisfied after Newport game on 11:17 - Jul 27 by Neil_SI

Cheers.

Actually what I really liked, and forgot to mention, was how often we've put three or four players right on the opposition backline whenever we've had the ball at the back, either with Robert Green or when playing it out from the back.

That's slightly risky perhaps, but when the ball comes in, if you win the first or second ball, suddenly the opposition are under a lot of pressure. So I really love that, obviously that can cause some problems if the delivery is not up to scratch in terms of defensive reaction, but those are real positive signs of intent to me. But that's one of the reasons why technical players who can pass, like Luongo, are crucial to the system.

Aside from that, we've seen occasions where the wide players have tucked in defensively to thicken the midfield, or even come in very centrally and picking the ball up deep. The latter one I like, but am not so sure about in terms of I haven't seen it used well enough on the counter yet.

In addition, for the central midfielders, at least two of them have been given the license to roam in the last two matches. We've seen them popping up on the left or right flanks, or getting beyond the striker or joining alongside them, which is an encouraging sign. Again, the legs of those players make those transitions and movement possible, as I couldn't see players like Barton, Sandro, etc, being able to do that.

Just good to read some proper analysis and some decent thoughts rather than someone wailing like a harridan over how the end is nigh.
Very hopeful about Luongo and Chery in particular and it will be great to see a team play with a bit of pace!

Bare bones.

Ramsey satisfied after Newport game on 11:40 - Jul 27 with 7785 viewsSomersetHoops

Not a myth, just my opinion. I saw all the pre-season games that year except one and even allowing for the poorness of the opposition it was the attitude of play and impression of togetherness that seemed right compared to other seasons before or after. I confess I've only seen some of this season's PS by stream but it looks like work in progress with quite a few missing players, less than two weeks from the real thing. I am encouraged by Neil's analysis though and just hope we fill the gaps and it comes together in time.

Who's Next?

Ramsey satisfied after Newport game on 12:20 - Jul 27 with 7650 viewssimmo

Ramsey satisfied after Newport game on 11:26 - Jul 27 by Antti_Heinola

Just good to read some proper analysis and some decent thoughts rather than someone wailing like a harridan over how the end is nigh.
Very hopeful about Luongo and Chery in particular and it will be great to see a team play with a bit of pace!

Agree RE Luongo and Chery. Particularly the former after seeing him up close at Barnet. Hard to gauge too much from a short cameo with Chery, but his delivery from wide was a real step up in quality on the occasions he got the chance. Also had a bit of roughness to deal with and didn't shy away. Fingers crossed he's the ittle bit of magic we need in the final 3rd...

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Ramsey satisfied after Newport game on 12:34 - Jul 27 with 7588 viewsdaveB

Ramsey satisfied after Newport game on 10:50 - Jul 27 by SomersetHoops

I thought we looked shambolic that pre season under Warnock and thought we'd do welll to stay up again. it was only after we signed Adel and Tommy Smith that everything just clicked.

That pre season under Wilkins as well i had a good feeling about us, i saw us beat Orient, Barnet and Fulham. Steve Slade looked a world beater and then it all went tits up.
Ramsey satisfied after Newport game on 12:35 - Jul 27 with 7585 viewsGetMeRangers

This. At the plymouth game, we made them look so good I was certain tehy would walk the league below and we looked woeful. The first game against Barnsley, I felt not only did the result flatter us, but we were fortunate to win.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024