Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cork 14:03 - Sep 7 with 6033 viewsMonahoop

Heading to Cork city for a long weekend coming. This is a city in Ireland I have not visited, [such a sin, since I have lived in Ireland for 13 years]. I gather there are one or two Corkegians who post regularly on this site or folk who have been there a few times. Any recommendations for things to see, places for good nosh or good music venues?

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Cork on 14:18 - Sep 7 with 6010 viewsbob566

I believe a leisurely saunter up Patricks Hill is a must.
Cork on 14:40 - Sep 7 with 5972 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Well, first of all you've to meet me for a pint!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Cork on 14:41 - Sep 7 with 5972 viewsbatmanhoop

Cork on 14:18 - Sep 7 by bob566

I believe a leisurely saunter up Patricks Hill is a must.

The English Market, Cobh Harbour and kiss the blarney and wish for us to return to the promised land, urrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr's to be sure
Cork on 14:42 - Sep 7 with 5967 viewsjohncharles

Don't see many corks these days, mostly screw tops now.

( already got me coat on )
[Post edited 7 Sep 2015 14:53]

Strong and stable my arse.

Cork on 14:48 - Sep 7 with 5952 viewsPablo_Hoopsta

Skibbereen is a nice old town not far from the City. historical walks and such like in the area plus bountiful beautiful countryside https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skibbereen

The Ring of Kerry https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_of_Kerry

The Mizen https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mizen_Head

To name but a few places.
Cork on 14:54 - Sep 7 with 5934 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Cork on 14:48 - Sep 7 by Pablo_Hoopsta

Skibbereen is a nice old town not far from the City. historical walks and such like in the area plus bountiful beautiful countryside https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skibbereen

The Ring of Kerry https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_of_Kerry

The Mizen https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mizen_Head

To name but a few places.

He's coming to Cork and you're diverting him to Kerry? That's like diverting people from Loftus Road to Stamford Bridge?

Cork on 15:03 - Sep 7 with 5903 viewsPablo_Hoopsta

Cork on 14:54 - Sep 7 by BrianMcCarthy

He's coming to Cork and you're diverting him to Kerry? That's like diverting people from Loftus Road to Stamford Bridge?

Well....in my defence, these are all things I see when Im in Cork, I think most of these things really ARE in Cork, its just not be officially confirmed yet

That said, for sure dont take my advice, but these are great places and a very easy ride from Skib'!
[Post edited 7 Sep 2015 15:04]
Cork on 15:04 - Sep 7 with 5895 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Mona,

If you only have a weekend do you intend to go driving? If so, day trips to Kinsale and Clonakilty and Inchydoney are a must. The latter can ne combined with a trip to the beautiful seaside villages of Union Hall, Glandore and Leap.

As for the city itself, the English Market is great, eat at the Farmgate which is in the Market and cooks with only the market produce. A few pints in the adjoining Mutton Lane Inn is a must - an ancient dark and dingy pub with a cool crowd that spans the generations and where the music is always class.

Other great pubs are:-

Great music (not live) and atmosphere - The Oval, The Raven, The Vicarstown, Tom Barry's
Great music (live): Sin é
A bit posh but still cool:- Mayne's (a converted chemist that does great wine and tapas
Later at night:- Crane Lane (a converted theatre with three bars, a choice of choons and adjoining Mayne's
Traditional pubs:- Mok's, Canty's, Counihan's, The Hi-B (but no mobiles!)

Food recommendations to follow
Any other queries? Arts, culture?

Login to get fewer ads

Cork on 15:04 - Sep 7 with 5890 viewspaulparker

If you get the chance visit Abbots Ale House , The best pub in Cork

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Cork on 16:07 - Sep 7 with 5815 viewskingshill

Cork on 14:41 - Sep 7 by batmanhoop

The English Market, Cobh Harbour and kiss the blarney and wish for us to return to the promised land, urrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr's to be sure

If you were there longer you could visit Bantry out in West Cork which is a beautiful coastal town.

If you're in the English market try the gourmet sausage place (Flynns?) for a dog roll, superb! They also have a shop in town somewhere.
Also ring the bells at Shandon.

Enjoy yourself, outside of London it's probably my favourite place to be.
Cork on 16:24 - Sep 7 with 5795 viewsBrisbaneR

Monahoop, if you decide to head west let me know. I'm visiting Drimoleague just north of Skibbereen, leaving Friday night to be in London for the game against Forest.
Perhaps I can catch yourself and Brian McCarthy?
Cork on 16:39 - Sep 7 with 5765 viewsnedflanders

If you get a chance, take a drive out to Youghal. Gorgeous Sandy beach and a lovely little town.
Cork on 16:58 - Sep 7 with 5734 viewsrobith

I've only been once as an adult despite my mum being from there but I really loved the pub The Oval. They were playing Holy F**k and I said to the barman how much I loved them and he gave me a discount on me pint
Cork on 19:30 - Sep 7 with 5645 viewsHollowayRanger

cork jail its a tourist attraction now

Camden fort

blarney castle easy to get a bus from cork if you don't drive

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Cork on 20:59 - Sep 7 with 5598 viewsBrightonhoop

Great town is Cork, best in all Ireland. Stayed some way out in wooden caravans one year, and somehow cycled to Bantry and back. Cork City itself was very chilled, has it's own rhythm and take a day or so to get into, don't fight it, just enjoy it.

Lovely pubs, great people, chilled out vibe, knocks spots off Dublin, even Donegal, another favourite. Ask a local about Skibereen, and listen to the lilting answer of ' the only thing to come out of Skibereen was a fooling bunch of munters.' local folklore apparently.

Great place, you can't go too wrong, have a great time.
Cork on 22:03 - Sep 7 with 5552 viewsIrishR

Im from North Cork myself and Brian has given you some solid advice.

Unless its a city break you will need a car, Make a trip out to Kinsale, enjoy a pint at the Bulman if its somebit warm and go onto the Old head for beautiful scenery and relaxation. Food in Kinsale is great, try Jim Edwards or the Spaniard maybe.

Beara pennisula for me is as beautiful as the ring of kerry but maybe im a little biased. Make a trip over to Dursey Island on Ireland only Cable car(mind the locals there they are a breed of there own).

Take a trip to Balitmore and onto Sherkin Island.

Go Glamping if thats what you would like.

If you have to stray into Kerry and do the Ring go to Skellig Michael, Irelands most beautiful spot in my opinion and our own Macchu Picchu :P

All depends on what you want really, it can be as relaxing or hectic as you want.
Cork on 22:59 - Sep 7 with 5504 viewsMrSheen

Kinsale! Less than half an hour in a cab and a beautiful place for eating, drinking or just strolling. Don't let the Cork hoors put you off.

Just bought an old ruin with a view over to the Skelligs. Can't wait to get it ready to stay there.
Cork on 09:46 - Sep 8 with 5398 viewsMonahoop

Thanks all for the feedback. Not intending to do much driving when there, just hang around the city, [ the wife will probably want to do wifely things like bloody shopping ]. Will be heading to Co. Waterford at the end of the weekend.
My only stop in Cork city itself was in 1985 while on a motorbike tour of Ireland, to find an ATM. All I remember was it was lashing with rain that day and I found an ATM. I wonder if it is still there? Will have to do a special memory trip!!

Thanks Brian for the venues. Will do some research on some of these places when I get a moment before we head off. I'm looking forward to it. Many folk I have spoken too say it is better than Dublin. A less threatening place by the sounds of it.

Cork on 12:41 - Sep 8 with 5352 viewsMrSheen

Cork on 09:46 - Sep 8 by Monahoop

Thanks all for the feedback. Not intending to do much driving when there, just hang around the city, [ the wife will probably want to do wifely things like bloody shopping ]. Will be heading to Co. Waterford at the end of the weekend.
My only stop in Cork city itself was in 1985 while on a motorbike tour of Ireland, to find an ATM. All I remember was it was lashing with rain that day and I found an ATM. I wonder if it is still there? Will have to do a special memory trip!!

Thanks Brian for the venues. Will do some research on some of these places when I get a moment before we head off. I'm looking forward to it. Many folk I have spoken too say it is better than Dublin. A less threatening place by the sounds of it.

Co Waterford? Where are you going?
Cork on 13:03 - Sep 8 with 5336 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Cork on 09:46 - Sep 8 by Monahoop

Enjoy!

Cork on 13:41 - Sep 8 with 5305 viewsA40Bosh

Cork on 20:59 - Sep 7 by Brightonhoop

Great town is Cork, best in all Ireland. Stayed some way out in wooden caravans one year, and somehow cycled to Bantry and back. Cork City itself was very chilled, has it's own rhythm and take a day or so to get into, don't fight it, just enjoy it.

Lovely pubs, great people, chilled out vibe, knocks spots off Dublin, even Donegal, another favourite. Ask a local about Skibereen, and listen to the lilting answer of ' the only thing to come out of Skibereen was a fooling bunch of munters.' local folklore apparently.

Great place, you can't go too wrong, have a great time.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Cork on 21:22 - Sep 8 with 5223 viewsMonahoop

Cork on 12:41 - Sep 8 by MrSheen

Co Waterford? Where are you going?

A very random place, Ardmore. Supposed to be nice around there. As I say, we picked it at random, so that is where we will head after Cork on Saturday evening.

Cork on 22:02 - Sep 8 with 5205 viewsA40Bosh

Cork on 21:22 - Sep 8 by Monahoop

A very random place, Ardmore. Supposed to be nice around there. As I say, we picked it at random, so that is where we will head after Cork on Saturday evening.

Nice beach there.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024