Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How much exercise do you get a week? 18:30 - Sep 15 with 15485 viewsstuabd

I just had a check up and according to that bloody BMI index I need to lose some weight. I wouldn't say I was fat and I don't have a big gut, but according to my doctor I still need to lose some weight to get the BMI down.

I was just wondering how much exercise you guys get a week.
I'm 46
I play one hour of footy every Sunday
I then practise golf for 2 hours later in the week
I also get 18 holes a week in at the weekend

I hate gyms so the only alternative is to do more walking.

I feel like I could do more but with two kids and a ball-breaker of a wife :) its hard to get the time to do stuff.

How much exercise do you get a week? on 14:33 - Jul 11 with 1169 views100percent

How much exercise do you get a week? on 14:20 - Jul 11 by loftboy

I get up at least 3 times a night, have blood in my urine when it’s tested (can’t visibly see it) anyhow my doc put me on a fast path cancer track, had to have a camera down the eye of my dick, the camera went past my prostate and into my bladder and they can’t find anything amiss.
Hope everything works out okay for you 100%.

Hope things even out for you Loft boy. I won't go into the details of my biopsy - it still makes me squirm a bit...! The actual robotic surgery was amazing.
It seems a million years ago now when we played Brentford rivals board..... years fly by.
How much exercise do you get a week? on 14:35 - Jul 11 with 1163 views100percent

How much exercise do you get a week? on 14:26 - Jul 11 by BazzaInTheLoft

All the best mate.

thank you.....
How much exercise do you get a week? on 14:54 - Jul 11 with 1141 viewsloftboy

How much exercise do you get a week? on 14:33 - Jul 11 by 100percent

Hope things even out for you Loft boy. I won't go into the details of my biopsy - it still makes me squirm a bit...! The actual robotic surgery was amazing.
It seems a million years ago now when we played Brentford rivals board..... years fly by.

2004 mate, where’s the time gone.? I struggled big time that day and I was a mere 37, couldn’t run a bath these days due to dodgy knees and ankles.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

How much exercise do you get a week? on 15:34 - Jul 11 with 1132 viewsBklynRanger

How much exercise do you get a week? on 14:12 - Jul 11 by 100percent

I'm nearly 59. I've got T3A cancer - it is cancer that spread to my prostate wall after having surgery for removing the prostate in December. When I got diagnosed last year I stepped up my training - I run 10k every other day and do loads of weights etc. Luckily I have a gym in my garden, I'm 11stone 3lbs, which is over my suggested weight for my height 5'11' but I'm comfortable with it. I feel great and no matter what anyone says, its major important to have the right diet when you are getting older. The cancer made me change my diet and I actually feel so much better for it.
As a side note to anyone in the 50 plus bracket - if you are getting up in the night to piss more than once, get yourself tested. I've always been pretty healthy so put it off. Don't do this - get fcking tested. It doesn't hurt and it gives peace of mind. Never under estimate the impact of having something like cancer has on your family and friends - you owe it to them but most of all you owe it to yourself to get tested..... And if you do have prostate cancer - it's not the end of the world. 90% of men live longer than 10/15 years, so don't hide. Get tested.

Best of luck with it mate - with that attitude sounds like you'll be more than ok. What is the test these days? Know I should be thinking about it.
How much exercise do you get a week? on 23:29 - Jul 11 with 1096 views100percent

How much exercise do you get a week? on 15:34 - Jul 11 by BklynRanger

Best of luck with it mate - with that attitude sounds like you'll be more than ok. What is the test these days? Know I should be thinking about it.

hi Brooklyn...The test starts with a visit to the GP and a finger up the rse.... if the prostate is enlarged, they will send you for an MRI, if that shows a shadow lesion, you will then have a biopsy. I won't lie, that biopsy is intrusive and quite painful.
If you have prostate cancer, I would elect for the robotic surgery - its keyhole, six small incisions in your stomach, done by a surgeon sitting behind a computer screen.
the worst part is the catheter - but that should be out within 10 days.
Get ready for the surgery - train, eat well and look after yourself. It makes your recovery quicker.... 1 in 3 men will get prostate cancer.
hope this helps...
How much exercise do you get a week? on 01:32 - Jul 12 with 1069 viewstimcocking

Always do three days a week in the gym. Used to play footie three days a week as well, but not for the last year or two.
[Post edited 12 Jul 2020 2:18]
How much exercise do you get a week? on 15:23 - Jul 12 with 1015 viewsOakR

My top end deal weight is meant to be just under 80kg. I was up to 96kg a few years ago, was down to around 90kg mainly through stopping drinking 90% of the soft drinks I used to have.

Since the start of June I decided I wanted to hit my ideal weight. I decided to mainly do this thought diet, so no more sugar, no bad snacks, portion control, only a small amount of alcohol each week etc (pubs being closed has helped). 2 weeks in I also started doing some HIIT workouts from youtube 2-3 times a week. So far I've got down to just over 85kgs. I also cycle 3-4 times a week in just 2x 10 or 15 minute blocks.

First few weeks I had my kids weigh me as extra motivation each morning first thing, I have a spreadsheet I put the totals in and this focuses me in the evening if I want a bad snack. I have the months broken down in 10 or 11 day slots, have a target average weight for those 10 days and a target lowest weight which again is what works for me motivation wise.

Once I'm back to my ideal weight I will up my excercise a bit more adn probably amend my diet a bit also (I'm still having the odd pizza etc, no treat foods and portion control have been the biggest factors I'm sure, with no alcohol or fizzy drinks also).

Poll: Will we stay up?

How much exercise do you get a week? on 16:40 - Jul 12 with 993 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I'm nearly 59. I've got T3A cancer - it is cancer that spread to my prostate wall after having surgery for removing the prostate in December. When I got diagnosed last year I stepped up my training - I run 10k every other day and do loads of weights etc. Luckily I have a gym in my garden, I'm 11stone 3lbs, which is over my suggested weight for my height 5'11' but I'm comfortable with it. I feel great and no matter what anyone says, its major important to have the right diet when you are getting older. The cancer made me change my diet and I actually feel so much better for it.
As a side note to anyone in the 50 plus bracket - if you are getting up in the night to piss more than once, get yourself tested. I've always been pretty healthy so put it off. Don't do this - get fcking tested. It doesn't hurt and it gives peace of mind. Never under estimate the impact of having something like cancer has on your family and friends - you owe it to them but most of all you owe it to yourself to get tested..... And if you do have prostate cancer - it's not the end of the world. 90% of men live longer than 10/15 years, so don't hide. Get tested.

Best of luck to you, mate.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Login to get fewer ads

How much exercise do you get a week? on 20:13 - Jul 12 with 967 viewsFearless

55 and always been a beer pig with little or no exercise.

Felt like crap throughout 2018 and weight went up to c95kg.
Got diagnosed with diabetes type 2 in June 2019.

The advice was:
Eat better, eat less, move more & wait

Bought a treadmill, cut out most snacks, started eating healthily, reduced the beer a huge amount,
Started using the treadmill (slowly at first, now doing about 10k 5x a week)

A year later down to 80kg, cholesterol more than halved, and diabetes (hba1c number) massively reduced
Feeling so much better

Good luck to those trying 👍 best of luck 100%
[Post edited 12 Jul 2020 20:17]
How much exercise do you get a week? on 23:32 - Jul 12 with 917 viewsBoston

How much exercise do you get a week? on 23:29 - Jul 11 by 100percent

hi Brooklyn...The test starts with a visit to the GP and a finger up the rse.... if the prostate is enlarged, they will send you for an MRI, if that shows a shadow lesion, you will then have a biopsy. I won't lie, that biopsy is intrusive and quite painful.
If you have prostate cancer, I would elect for the robotic surgery - its keyhole, six small incisions in your stomach, done by a surgeon sitting behind a computer screen.
Get ready for the surgery - train, eat well and look after yourself. It makes your recovery quicker.... 1 in 3 men will get prostate cancer.
hope this helps...

Had the prostate test a number of times, y’up right up the bum. Same with colonoscopy, (prep is the uncomfortable part), all standard procedure when you hit 50.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

How much exercise do you get a week? on 10:35 - Jul 13 with 883 viewshovehoop

How much exercise do you get a week? on 08:11 - Sep 16 by Lblock

"Boxing, running and sex everyday"

Sounds like a serial rapist.

I'm a prolapsed disc sufferer and I've really found that keeping even a nit moderately "fit" helps no end.
I lost almost 2 stone due to a major complication over a year ago and that was due to a complete diet change with no exercise whatsoever. I decided then to join a gym near to my office purely for the use of the pool and sauna plus started pilates locally.
My diet reverted back to ways of old but the bit of moderate fitness allowed me to only slip to a certain level. Unfortunately due to a combination of gym refurbishment, me being moved onto another contract which means I'm not near the gym and the return of the football season means I'm putting weight on and my back is playing me up again!!!

So I've decided to re-focus and I'm back at pilates 10am today and not drinking at the R's tonight!!!

Fellow prolapsed disc sufferer and had surgery 2 years ago. Took a while to get back but cycling and Pilates are my primary exercise these days. And swimming 2-3 times a week when the pools re-open. The back flexibility took a while to return on the bike but I've adjusted that by say 50mm over the last year by incrementally putting up the saddle and lowering the handlebars, so it's gone well.

Have experimented with a bit of jogging but suffered some back discomfort after. So have decided to doubly focus on leg strengthening and core exercises to see if that helps.
How much exercise do you get a week? on 11:11 - Jul 13 with 856 viewshovehoop

How much exercise do you get a week? on 20:09 - Sep 15 by BklynRanger

That BMI always seems to come out as bollox for just about everybody. Granted we're all probably a touch overweight but still!

I exercise more than usual at the moment because I've got a marathon in 4 weeks. Like so many people though, I can eat my way through any amount of exercise.

The one thing that caused me to loose weight recently was cutting down a lot on sugars and simple carbs. Just dramatically reducing chocolate, chips, cakes, etc can help a lot. Even red wine gets assimilated more slowly than beer. For an extreme example of that diet, with an exercise benefit, you should google 'Mafetone Method'.

Did you try the Maffetone Method personally? I read his book and tried it out a while. The concept is sound. It felt weird running what felt like ridiculously slowly to keep the heart rate in the right zone. But, it limited fatigue so I was ready to run the next day if I wanted. I started the process during winter. And it's fairly hilly where I live. So, I found that when starting out, warming up and the hills caused the heart rate to exceed target zones until I was about 20 minutes into the run. I also got cold in my usual kit and needed another layer. To overcome this I almost needed to do a 15 min warm up indoors but unfortunately lacked the patience. I never got to trying it on the bike, that would have had yet lower heart rate training zones compared to running but, as it's hilly around here it's difficult to go out and avoid some form of heart stress within 5 mins of the front door! I gave the book to a guy diagnosed with a heart condition and it's perfect for him as he wants to train at low heart rates. This does mean that during lockdown he's been able to get out every day and run or bike and from a weight standpoint, there's not a pick on him. If anyone is plagued by running injuries or has had a start/stop aspect to their running then it's worth a look. I believe it's proven that the heart and lungs respond to run training quicker than tendons/ligaments etc. so they can become injured if stressed too much too soon. Maffetone knows this and his approach considers it. As summer is here I may give it another go.

The 80/20 method is another book that is on similar lines to Maffetone but I've looked at it only loosely. Suspect a lot of the challenge is how much time we have to exercise and making it count when we do.
How much exercise do you get a week? on 11:29 - Jul 13 with 850 viewshovehoop

How much exercise do you get a week? on 20:37 - Sep 15 by Toast_R

Was into my cycling, did the London to Brighton just bought myself a Felt Road Bike and just did a 70 mile Night Ride around London last month (including cycle home after) and my left knee's been absolutely f*cked since. Not sure what happened but think I probably wasn't ready for that ride and over did it. Had an X-ray (waiting for results) and been taking a course of anti inflammatories but it's still sore. Annoying as even swimming is a struggle.
[Post edited 15 Sep 2015 20:39]

Dolcelatte gave good advice to consider a bike fit. Found that knee pain usually comes from saddle being too low. It can affect only one leg as some of us have different leg lengths - even slight. If your night ride was a sudden increase in distance/load and if you had moments grinding big gears rather than spinning a highish cadence then that could explain things. You don't say if you're wearing cleats but if so, one could be angled in or out or too far forward/back and this can bring on knee pain too.

You can experiment a bit with saddle height setup at home using an online video I suppose. This might show if the saddle height is low by some margin. Once you rule this out, it could then be a question of changing 3mm at a time and seeing how that feels. My setup has been progressing since back surgery 2 years ago. As flexibility has returned the combination of raising the saddle and lowering handlebars has been 50mm in 12 months and it feels so much better with more adjustment to come.
How much exercise do you get a week? on 11:31 - Jul 13 with 848 viewshovehoop

Best of luck to you. Brilliant attitude.
How much exercise do you get a week? on 11:46 - Jul 13 with 839 viewskensalriser

hope this helps...

There is an intermediate test, the PSI, which is done from a blood sample. I had this a few years ago after the doc suspected enlarged prostate. The reading was so low no further action was required, luckily.

Good luck. My dad had prostate cancer for years and like most, died with it not from it.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

How much exercise do you get a week? on 12:35 - Jul 13 with 812 viewsSnipper

Good luck to you 100percent. A very thought provoking inspirational post.
How much exercise do you get a week? on 12:56 - Jul 13 with 798 viewsYorkRanger

Get a dog.

Now I'm working from home for the foreseeable future walk about 5k every day with the dog. Made a massive difference to both physical and mental health.

Try to get on the golf course one night a week and once at the weekend.

Beer remains a downfall.
How much exercise do you get a week? on 13:06 - Jul 13 with 784 views100percent

Without cannibalising the thread, just wanted to say thanks to Brian, Fearless, Boston, Hovehoop. Kensal Riser (it's a PSA test - I have them each month) and Snipper. Really appreciate your wishes - I'm positive and realistic - I will be around for a few years yet...!
How much exercise do you get a week? on 09:36 - Jul 14 with 706 viewsBklynRanger

hope this helps...

Sorry for late reply - very helpful, 100, cheers. Yeah have had the first part of that test in the past but didn't know what happens these days after that. One thing about coming back here after being away for so long has been sorting out what does and doesn't get done in terms of health care. Good practical advice.
How much exercise do you get a week? on 10:14 - Jul 14 with 677 viewsBklynRanger

How much exercise do you get a week? on 11:11 - Jul 13 by hovehoop

Did you try the Maffetone Method personally? I read his book and tried it out a while. The concept is sound. It felt weird running what felt like ridiculously slowly to keep the heart rate in the right zone. But, it limited fatigue so I was ready to run the next day if I wanted. I started the process during winter. And it's fairly hilly where I live. So, I found that when starting out, warming up and the hills caused the heart rate to exceed target zones until I was about 20 minutes into the run. I also got cold in my usual kit and needed another layer. To overcome this I almost needed to do a 15 min warm up indoors but unfortunately lacked the patience. I never got to trying it on the bike, that would have had yet lower heart rate training zones compared to running but, as it's hilly around here it's difficult to go out and avoid some form of heart stress within 5 mins of the front door! I gave the book to a guy diagnosed with a heart condition and it's perfect for him as he wants to train at low heart rates. This does mean that during lockdown he's been able to get out every day and run or bike and from a weight standpoint, there's not a pick on him. If anyone is plagued by running injuries or has had a start/stop aspect to their running then it's worth a look. I believe it's proven that the heart and lungs respond to run training quicker than tendons/ligaments etc. so they can become injured if stressed too much too soon. Maffetone knows this and his approach considers it. As summer is here I may give it another go.

The 80/20 method is another book that is on similar lines to Maffetone but I've looked at it only loosely. Suspect a lot of the challenge is how much time we have to exercise and making it count when we do.

I did Hove, yeah. Used it to train for that marathon. Found it a very useful approach to stretching out the miles. It does require patience keeping to that slower pace but it helped me a lot in being able to run longer distances.

I know what you mean about difficulty staying within the target zone - I wasn't really religious about it I must admit - was running all round Brooklyn in the summer and did stray over at times but it's a good way of at least checking that.

Managed to enlarge my left atrium by doing it which freaked my doctor out at first who sent me for an echogram to check what was going on :)

Don't know if we've read about in the same book - Born to Run? Anyway, running is all behind me now so to speak. Spent 4 weeks in Granada when we emigrated running up and down the Alhambra - beautiful experience but knackered one of my knees...
How much exercise do you get a week? on 11:01 - Jul 14 with 661 viewsRBlock

How much exercise do you get a week? on 20:36 - Sep 15 by RBlock

Gym 5 times a week and then footy twice. I'm just 23 though, I'm sure it's not going to last if my old man is anything to go by.

Can confirm that that all went out the window in the last 5 years, and I'm well on my way to becoming an old fat boy with a beer belly like everyone else.
How much exercise do you get a week? on 09:29 - Jul 15 with 619 viewshovehoop

How much exercise do you get a week? on 10:14 - Jul 14 by BklynRanger

I did Hove, yeah. Used it to train for that marathon. Found it a very useful approach to stretching out the miles. It does require patience keeping to that slower pace but it helped me a lot in being able to run longer distances.

I know what you mean about difficulty staying within the target zone - I wasn't really religious about it I must admit - was running all round Brooklyn in the summer and did stray over at times but it's a good way of at least checking that.

Managed to enlarge my left atrium by doing it which freaked my doctor out at first who sent me for an echogram to check what was going on :)

Don't know if we've read about in the same book - Born to Run? Anyway, running is all behind me now so to speak. Spent 4 weeks in Granada when we emigrated running up and down the Alhambra - beautiful experience but knackered one of my knees...

Confess to having an embarrassing collection of books on swimming, biking and running but Born to Run is not one of them! Maffetone worked best for me when I got up on the South Downs and ran on trails without anyone around. It was easier staying in the target HR zone when focussing on nice surrounds.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024