Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
worst away day? 06:21 - Nov 25 with 24027 viewsYorkRanger

Reflecting on the 141 York supporters who travelled to Portsmouth last night to see the team beaten 6-0. Left me thinking about the worst away day that people have had. Could be unfriendly locals, the weather, or just the result.

There have been many, but for me the day I hosted a table at Elland Rd, for a group of predominantly Leeds supporters, when Brian Deane finally worked out how to score, is right up there...

Any offers?
worst away day? on 06:34 - Nov 25 with 9087 viewsFDC

This one comes around on here quite often.

Mine is Chesterfield 4 v QPR 2, 2004.

It rained, hard, and it was bloody freezing in open terrace in the away end.

The toilet was a wall you pissed against.

There was no bar or anywhere to get anything to eat.

I'd dragged three non-QPR mates who weren't even that in to football along with me. They hated me for taking them to stand in the rain with a couple of hundred other miserable men.

The half time entertainment was one of the most misjudged things I've ever witnessed. A cheer-leader troupe came and waved their pom-poms about in front of us. There was deadly silence, before the angriest, most cockney man I've ever heard screamed "YOU"RE A F*CKING DISGRACE!" directly at the young girl in front of me, before adding " AND YOU PORKY!"

What a day out.
worst away day? on 07:33 - Nov 25 with 9004 viewsRs_Holy

away at Huddersfield for me. Relegated to League 1 by a last minute Delroy Facey goal... The locals giving it large after the match and multiple fights breaking out on the way back to the coach.
a miserable end to a season and a miserable journey back to London.
[Post edited 25 Nov 2015 9:13]
worst away day? on 07:37 - Nov 25 with 8999 viewsloftboy

Liverpool away 1986 3 days after the league cup.semi, about 70 of us up there, Leroy Rosenior scores in the first minute and we lost 4-1

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

worst away day? on 07:39 - Nov 25 with 8998 viewsRanger78

worst away day? on 06:34 - Nov 25 by FDC

This one comes around on here quite often.

Mine is Chesterfield 4 v QPR 2, 2004.

It rained, hard, and it was bloody freezing in open terrace in the away end.

The toilet was a wall you pissed against.

There was no bar or anywhere to get anything to eat.

I'd dragged three non-QPR mates who weren't even that in to football along with me. They hated me for taking them to stand in the rain with a couple of hundred other miserable men.

The half time entertainment was one of the most misjudged things I've ever witnessed. A cheer-leader troupe came and waved their pom-poms about in front of us. There was deadly silence, before the angriest, most cockney man I've ever heard screamed "YOU"RE A F*CKING DISGRACE!" directly at the young girl in front of me, before adding " AND YOU PORKY!"

What a day out.

Easy for me. As above, 2001 at Huddersfield when relegation was sealed. It was a Horrible horrible day out!

I'll forget a copper in full riot gear telling us to "F off back to big smoke " while laughing his head off

A close second was Port Vale the same season and I think just a few weeks before.
[Post edited 25 Nov 2015 7:42]
worst away day? on 07:45 - Nov 25 with 8977 viewsYorkRanger

worst away day? on 07:33 - Nov 25 by Rs_Holy

away at Huddersfield for me. Relegated to League 1 by a last minute Delroy Facey goal... The locals giving it large after the match and multiple fights breaking out on the way back to the coach.
a miserable end to a season and a miserable journey back to London.
[Post edited 25 Nov 2015 9:13]

Yes that was a miserable day, I remember it well...
worst away day? on 07:52 - Nov 25 with 8953 viewsTheChef

worst away day? on 07:39 - Nov 25 by Ranger78

Easy for me. As above, 2001 at Huddersfield when relegation was sealed. It was a Horrible horrible day out!

I'll forget a copper in full riot gear telling us to "F off back to big smoke " while laughing his head off

A close second was Port Vale the same season and I think just a few weeks before.
[Post edited 25 Nov 2015 7:42]

Port Vale was the last away game of the 98-99 season (before we beat Palace 6-0 on the last day to stay up). I seem to remember Steve Slade missing a couple of sitters that day, and then Carl Griffiths (?) getting the winner for them and winding us up.

Interesting scenes outside the ground after. Also a lot of us thought we were down, but then West Brom (?) got a late winner against some one which mean it came down to the last day. Plus towards the end of the game, I remember some nutter QPR fan getting on to the pitch and running all the way across the away end and throwing himself into the baying mob of Vale fans in the other corner of the ground.

Fun times!

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

worst away day? on 08:06 - Nov 25 with 8918 viewsqueensparker

Losing 4-0 (?) to Oxford at their old ground under Harford. It was the game that made me realise the good days were over and heralded the next decade of admin, Div 1, Paladini etc
worst away day? on 08:21 - Nov 25 with 8881 viewsenfieldargh

one that springs to mind not for any other reason other than that it was a shit day all round was away V Sunderland 20th October 1979.

Got soaked walking from the station to the ground, QPR wore Sunderlands away Blue kit because the kit man only bought our Red 2nd kit, we got stuffed 3-0, trudged back in the pouring brain to the station with a couple of ambushes on the way, got in the train and had the windows smashed in by bricks flying from an embankment just after leaving the station.

Also Shrewsbury away 1981, lost 2-1, broke down on the M6 on the way back and saw the team coach fly buy us.

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Login to get fewer ads

worst away day? on 08:25 - Nov 25 with 8877 viewskingsburyR

Does the Milk Cup final count as an away day????

The ultimate in shite days out. And the old man made us walk the whole way home as Oxford fans drove past taunting us.

Bizarrely Watford away - 29th December 2013 - freezing cold, a dire turgid nil-nil and no beer available.

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

worst away day? on 08:39 - Nov 25 with 8833 viewswombat

worst away day? on 08:25 - Nov 25 by kingsburyR

Does the Milk Cup final count as an away day????

The ultimate in shite days out. And the old man made us walk the whole way home as Oxford fans drove past taunting us.

Bizarrely Watford away - 29th December 2013 - freezing cold, a dire turgid nil-nil and no beer available.

Partisan Belgrade away for me nothing else to add apart from mullery is still a full on. C;unt to this day

Poll: which is your favouite foot

worst away day? on 08:40 - Nov 25 with 8833 viewsLblock

Blimey there's plenty!

One that always gets discussed:-

PNE away

Lost either 5 or 6 nil and I'd driven
Fans openly fighting one another in away end as the tide turned against Gerry Francis
Clarke Carlisle sat in row behind us and when the 4th went in he said "Jesus, we are sh1t" and left.
But best of all -- I drive back down the M1 in freezing fog and just before the Hemel junction I broke down.... turned out the fuel dial was stuck on 1/4 full and I'd run out of juice.
Car load of abuse (well deserved)

I think we went down that season as well

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

worst away day? on 08:48 - Nov 25 with 8820 viewsenfieldargh

worst away day? on 08:40 - Nov 25 by Lblock

Blimey there's plenty!

One that always gets discussed:-

PNE away

Lost either 5 or 6 nil and I'd driven
Fans openly fighting one another in away end as the tide turned against Gerry Francis
Clarke Carlisle sat in row behind us and when the 4th went in he said "Jesus, we are sh1t" and left.
But best of all -- I drive back down the M1 in freezing fog and just before the Hemel junction I broke down.... turned out the fuel dial was stuck on 1/4 full and I'd run out of juice.
Car load of abuse (well deserved)

I think we went down that season as well

10th of Feb 2001 just so that you never forget that date.

The next away game was at Wimbledon, we did slightly better there only losing 0-5

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

worst away day? on 08:52 - Nov 25 with 8814 viewsMrSheen

worst away day? on 08:06 - Nov 25 by queensparker

Losing 4-0 (?) to Oxford at their old ground under Harford. It was the game that made me realise the good days were over and heralded the next decade of admin, Div 1, Paladini etc

Did you leave before Tony Scully's last minute piledriver? Shame on you!

First time I'd seen Dean Windass. Much too good for Steve Morrow.
worst away day? on 09:14 - Nov 25 with 8771 viewsBrightonhoop

A freezing cold March day away at Stoke, on open terrace at the old Brit 1977 I think. Lost 1-0. And the natives gave us hell all game and getting out, all 6 of us R's on the terrace that grim Saturday in Stoke. Fcking hated them ever since lol.
worst away day? on 09:46 - Nov 25 with 8703 viewsCamberleyR

Surely the 13th April 1996, Highfield Road has to be up there?

That day we were 3rd bottom but above Coventry with a 3 better goal difference although they had a game in hand. There was a point between Coventry in 2nd bottom and Southampton who were 5th bottom. Although our destiny wasn't in our own hands we had the best GD of all the bottom 5 so it was all still to play for especially as Saints had Champions elect Man Utd to play (it was the grey shirt day) that day.

Everything looked okay midway into the second half for a valuable point until expensive flop and second half substitute Eoin Fcking Jess popped up to score his only goal for Coventry. Gutting. You had hardly heard the Cov fans until then. Impey got sent off right at the death for chinning one of theirs as well, can't remember who it was.

A horrible, horrible feeling as we left the ground that day realizing that this was the game that relegated us effectively. What made it worse was finding out afterwards that Saints had beaten Man U and City had also won. A miserable weekend.

Looking back at our team that day, we never had a forward on the bench. Hateley lumbered around up front with Gallen but where was Danny Dichio that day? Anybody remember?
[Post edited 25 Nov 2015 9:50]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

worst away day? on 09:51 - Nov 25 with 8689 viewsngbqpr

Port Vale. Not just the 2-0 "are we down" pre-Palace game, but every other trip to Port fkin Vale. Always unutterably miserable. The evening game where Warren Barton had a mare was probably worst of a truly dire bunch.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

worst away day? on 10:06 - Nov 25 with 8661 viewsrobith

Not really a proper away day, but my mate's wife's company had a box at Chelsea so I went with them to the 6-1 game.

I'd been at a wedding in Newbury the day before so I was stinkingly hung over, no trains so had to get a lift back off a mate then was super late as they could only get me so far and I had to get a bus then walk.

I then had to sit surrounded by THEM as they completely humiliated us, while they all booed Anton Ferdinand for the heinous crime of being racially abused, while my friends all looked very concerned as I had a mini breakdown.

I didn't even come out for the second half, I stayed in the box, and pulled the curtains so I could drink them out of rose.

Then on the journey home I got told off by a policeman for being too drunk, and my gf made me sleep on the sofa because I was sick in the bed.

Not up there in terms of weather or travel, but the spiritual damage, off the chart
worst away day? on 10:10 - Nov 25 with 8656 viewsDevonWhite

The 5-0 at Southend was grim. And the 5-0 at Wimbledon.

For me it's actually probably the 6-0 and 4-0 defeats at Fulham. Best mate is a Fulham fan so the 6-0 was awful. But for some reason the 4-0 this season felt worse.
worst away day? on 10:47 - Nov 25 with 8583 viewsRangersDave

6-1 to lids at Elland Road

Great start to the day with Cookie scoring the opener, for us to then fall asleep and get reemed.

I left with my family 10 minutes early to get away, and in retrospect I'm still glad I did!

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

worst away day? on 10:52 - Nov 25 with 8576 viewspaulparker

How Long you got

Wimbledon 0-5 was awful especially as this was Gerrys last game I think
Swindon 1-3 , p1ssed down all afternoon on the open terraced, infact every time ive been to Swindon it has p1ssed down
Burton 0-1 in the cup , was the worst angriest ive been at an away game, the players especially Hoilett & SWP were a disgrace
Port vale 0-2 watching that fat plum Griffiths give it to us and then thinking we were down , huge ruck outside as well
Peterborough 0-1 they hadn't won in about 30 games until we arrived with Bent & Priskin up top , we didn't even have a shot on goal, the away end amused themselves with chants of former players
Southampton simod cup lost 2-0 , when paul parker broke his leg in a meaningless game,
any game at plough lane in the 80's , especially when gus ceaser & brian laws were at the back
Coventry when Eion poxy jess scored and all but relegated us
oh and Sheff wed away 0-0 draw the coldest and most bored I have ever been at football , to this day I never know what possessed me to make that trip

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

worst away day? on 11:13 - Nov 25 with 8524 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

worst away day? on 10:52 - Nov 25 by paulparker

How Long you got

Wimbledon 0-5 was awful especially as this was Gerrys last game I think
Swindon 1-3 , p1ssed down all afternoon on the open terraced, infact every time ive been to Swindon it has p1ssed down
Burton 0-1 in the cup , was the worst angriest ive been at an away game, the players especially Hoilett & SWP were a disgrace
Port vale 0-2 watching that fat plum Griffiths give it to us and then thinking we were down , huge ruck outside as well
Peterborough 0-1 they hadn't won in about 30 games until we arrived with Bent & Priskin up top , we didn't even have a shot on goal, the away end amused themselves with chants of former players
Southampton simod cup lost 2-0 , when paul parker broke his leg in a meaningless game,
any game at plough lane in the 80's , especially when gus ceaser & brian laws were at the back
Coventry when Eion poxy jess scored and all but relegated us
oh and Sheff wed away 0-0 draw the coldest and most bored I have ever been at football , to this day I never know what possessed me to make that trip

The 0-0 with Wednesday, was that the one where Rowlands missed a pen?
worst away day? on 11:21 - Nov 25 with 8497 viewspaulparker

worst away day? on 11:13 - Nov 25 by BazzaInTheLoft

The 0-0 with Wednesday, was that the one where Rowlands missed a pen?

No Baz, im pretty sure that Waddock was manager at the time and our midfield was steve lomas & Bircham

it was one of the worst games of football I have ever seen and following this club for 31 years that is saying something

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

worst away day? on 11:24 - Nov 25 with 8495 viewsBrixtonR

84-85 Leicester 0-4 not Mullery's finest hour , Forest 0-2 never been so cold in my life (until the next season (0-4) ), Coventry away 0-3 in 84-85 is up there about 300 in a the whole end of horrible sky blue seats with no roof.

Losing 1-4 again at fckin Coventry and 1-7 at Sheffield Wednesday in 86-87 within a few days of each other were pretty awful.
worst away day? on 11:28 - Nov 25 with 8482 viewsAlbRanger

worst away day? on 09:46 - Nov 25 by CamberleyR

Surely the 13th April 1996, Highfield Road has to be up there?

That day we were 3rd bottom but above Coventry with a 3 better goal difference although they had a game in hand. There was a point between Coventry in 2nd bottom and Southampton who were 5th bottom. Although our destiny wasn't in our own hands we had the best GD of all the bottom 5 so it was all still to play for especially as Saints had Champions elect Man Utd to play (it was the grey shirt day) that day.

Everything looked okay midway into the second half for a valuable point until expensive flop and second half substitute Eoin Fcking Jess popped up to score his only goal for Coventry. Gutting. You had hardly heard the Cov fans until then. Impey got sent off right at the death for chinning one of theirs as well, can't remember who it was.

A horrible, horrible feeling as we left the ground that day realizing that this was the game that relegated us effectively. What made it worse was finding out afterwards that Saints had beaten Man U and City had also won. A miserable weekend.

Looking back at our team that day, we never had a forward on the bench. Hateley lumbered around up front with Gallen but where was Danny Dichio that day? Anybody remember?
[Post edited 25 Nov 2015 9:50]

I wasn't there because I was busy getting married.
Father in Law is a Saints fan and he's on the video in the background at one point commenting on their result by saying 'Best news I've had all day'!
Crap day all round
[Post edited 25 Nov 2015 11:29]
worst away day? on 11:38 - Nov 25 with 8447 viewsngbqpr

The 5-0 at Forest a few years back was particularly hard to take if, like me, you live within walking distance of the City Ground...

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024