Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Some boring stats to put things in perspective 14:11 - Jan 7 with 6127 viewsSuperhoop83

I'm much more of a reader than a poster on here (please never leave us Disco!), but I'm glad that there has recently been a growing trend towards reality and joking about our more impatient/blinkered/angry fans, e.g. joking about Gladwin being written off before half time on Saturday (just watch this space...).

Anyone who has been following our great, but irredeemably unsuccessful, club for as long as me (38 years in which we've never won a top trophy) knows that there is always more rough than smooth. For example, even the good teams of the mid 80s and early 90s turned in regular abject away performances every season (with the possible exception of 83/84) but the hype and the endless coverage of football was nothing like it is now, so we kept things in perspective. Anyone remember mass meltdowns when we flirted with relegation from Division One in, say, 1985, 1987 and 1991? No, neither do I.

Nowadays we are force fed the message that the Premier League is the only place to be and that every single game matters if it's live on Sky. Back in the real world Clive's analysis of the Championship's 35,240 fixtures is much nearer the mark but we all get sucked into the hype machine and start to believe that a mid season game against Ipswich is a must win when, plainly, it is nothing of the sort.

I'm not going to give my opinion on whether the club is being run properly because that isn't the point of this message. While I understand people's serious concerns, 99.9% of us on here haven't got a clue about owning or running a football club, or selecting a team from a large squad we never see in training (although Henry at number 10 was beyond belief), and for all the mayhem around the club and the numerous dud players, 3 of the past 5 seasons were spent in the Premier League. Yes, we stank the place out most of the time but I never imagined we'd get back to that level after so long out of it.

Anyway, the point of this message is that QPR is, basically, a second flight club which, thankfully for us, has often punched well above its weight. Based on ground size, support base, etc. we had no right to expect a second place in the top flight, three fifth place finishes and a UEFA Cup quarter final, just as we wouldn't have expected three years in the third flight and losing to Vauxhall Motors. The average stats for our "great" club are these:

Average league position in the past 50 years: 25th
Average league position since formation: 43rd
Position on the all time Premier League table: 27th

I'm not putting on rose tinted spectacles or saying that the team is doing well enough right now, but we are where we are right now partly, and possibly mainly, because we are QPR. We are all entitled to feel annoyed by the poor patch/season/era we're going through, but we shouldn't be surprised by our current league position.

Anyone who loses their rag because anything other than promotion to the promised land isn't good enough has either got a short memory or wasn't around when we were, as usual, not very good.

Come on you R'ssss!!!!
[Post edited 7 Jan 2016 14:11]

Suffering since 1978.

Some boring stats to put things in perspective on 14:20 - Jan 7 with 4930 viewsDannyPaddox

(38 years in which we've never won a top trophy)

Just for the record:

2010: Football League Championship WINNERS!
2005: Ibiza Cup WINNERS!
1984: Evening Standard 5-A-Side Tournament WINNERS!

And too many Football Programme Of The Year Awards (regional and national) to mention.

[Post edited 7 Jan 2016 14:22]
Some boring stats to put things in perspective on 14:27 - Jan 7 with 4902 viewsaston_hoop

Some boring stats to put things in perspective on 14:20 - Jan 7 by DannyPaddox

Just for the record:

And too many Football Programme Of The Year Awards (regional and national) to mention.

Damned right! How quickly we forget

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/183840.stm

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Some boring stats to put things in perspective on 14:35 - Jan 7 with 4876 viewsloftboy

Just for the record:

Seem to.remember a nice trophy being lifted at Wembley in 2014 as well.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Some boring stats to put things in perspective on 14:57 - Jan 7 with 4808 viewsisawqpratwcity

I got dragged into the maelstrom when we were a Third Division club (admittedly a hell of a Third Division club) and had been for the entire life of the Third Division except for about three or four years in Division Two.

Things change. We are not an "irredeemably unsuccessful" club. On the contrary, the last fifty years have been the most successful times we've ever seen. There are some old blokes on here, peejaybee, Addinall, rongould, (Blob) and they probably grew up with the expectation that we were a 3rd div side, no bones about it.

Nobody thinks that way anymore. I tell you, if we're 27th on the PL table, that puts us ahead of a few teams that are in there now!

COYRs!

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Some boring stats to put things in perspective on 15:04 - Jan 7 with 4782 viewsSuperhoop83

Some boring stats to put things in perspective on 14:57 - Jan 7 by isawqpratwcity

I got dragged into the maelstrom when we were a Third Division club (admittedly a hell of a Third Division club) and had been for the entire life of the Third Division except for about three or four years in Division Two.

Things change. We are not an "irredeemably unsuccessful" club. On the contrary, the last fifty years have been the most successful times we've ever seen. There are some old blokes on here, peejaybee, Addinall, rongould, (Blob) and they probably grew up with the expectation that we were a 3rd div side, no bones about it.

Nobody thinks that way anymore. I tell you, if we're 27th on the PL table, that puts us ahead of a few teams that are in there now!

COYRs!

I should perhaps qualify the "unsuccessful" bit - I just mean that we have never won a major trophy in my time supporting the club and I'm fine with that, although Wembley 1986 will always haunt me.

Don't get me wrong. We've had some great teams and times but even then we had bad periods but we just got on with it - nowadays a lot of people's expectations are out of control but I wouldn't change teams for anything and there will be good times ahead, as well as bad, but it will rarely be dull.

Suffering since 1978.

Some boring stats to put things in perspective on 15:36 - Jan 7 with 4725 viewsisawqpratwcity

Some boring stats to put things in perspective on 15:04 - Jan 7 by Superhoop83

I should perhaps qualify the "unsuccessful" bit - I just mean that we have never won a major trophy in my time supporting the club and I'm fine with that, although Wembley 1986 will always haunt me.

Don't get me wrong. We've had some great teams and times but even then we had bad periods but we just got on with it - nowadays a lot of people's expectations are out of control but I wouldn't change teams for anything and there will be good times ahead, as well as bad, but it will rarely be dull.

And I shouldn't be so bombastic. There have been some rotten disappointments with three 'silvers' in the League, FA Cup and League Cup in that time ("Missed it by that much"). We've had Administration, bucket collections, fan's 'shares', changed managers as quickly as calendar pages, relegations and a handy collection of people best described as 'dubious', with our last three seasons in the Prem as the distinctly unsavoury cherry on top.

But then there's been promotions, long runs of being the best around, humblings of the 'mighty' and football, wonderful football to stir the blood, great players playing at their peak, football so marvelous it makes your heart leap.

All from the little club that could.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Some boring stats to put things in perspective on 15:43 - Jan 7 with 4711 viewsmcqpr10

Excellent post superhoop83. The years in the top flight, allied with the briatore/tf money has really turned us into the most demanding fan base. Twitter after a qpr defeat is a no go. Empty vessels make the most noise as they say.
Some boring stats to put things in perspective on 15:52 - Jan 7 with 4686 viewsHadders

My word, there are some sensible people on here! Take a bow for a wonderful post, Superhoops83.
Login to get fewer ads

Some boring stats to put things in perspective on 16:19 - Jan 7 with 4639 viewsjamois

The OP is right of course but where is the fun in a bit of perspective?

I think that a lot of the discontent on this board stems from the incredible opportunity wasted to become something more than the 29th best club by frittering away the proceeds from two PL promotions with an incoherent strategy. So yes, now we are where we've always been.

I'm sure if Man City fans reviewed the same stats for perspective, another historically unsuccessful club (in relative terms), then they'd be content to sit in their average position pre Etihad, which I'm assuming would be something like 9th?

Poll: What's our back 4 for Wembley?

Some boring stats to put things in perspective on 16:26 - Jan 7 with 4618 viewsSimonJames

Some boring stats to put things in perspective on 15:52 - Jan 7 by Hadders

My word, there are some sensible people on here! Take a bow for a wonderful post, Superhoops83.

No! No!! NO!!!!!!

Don't encourage him. It's this sort of sensible realism that ruins it for all us neurotics and conspiracy theorists.

100% of people who drink water will die.

Some boring stats to put things in perspective on 16:33 - Jan 7 with 4596 viewsQPRDave

Tbh I've been happy to win the odd game here and there in my time, let alone trophies.
Trophies are for wimps
Some boring stats to put things in perspective on 16:51 - Jan 7 with 4556 viewsSuperhoop83

Some boring stats to put things in perspective on 16:19 - Jan 7 by jamois

The OP is right of course but where is the fun in a bit of perspective?

I think that a lot of the discontent on this board stems from the incredible opportunity wasted to become something more than the 29th best club by frittering away the proceeds from two PL promotions with an incoherent strategy. So yes, now we are where we've always been.

I'm sure if Man City fans reviewed the same stats for perspective, another historically unsuccessful club (in relative terms), then they'd be content to sit in their average position pre Etihad, which I'm assuming would be something like 9th?

I couldn't agree more about a wasted opportunity - and we even let it happen twice after scrambling back up thanks to Charlie Austin and then BZ.

It's also been horrible looking on as clubs like Swansea and Leicester, each of which went up with us, stay up and win plaudits for their style and passion while we humiliate ourselves live on TV and go from a lot of people's second team to one of the most hated clubs in England.

I'm not suggesting that the club has done well this season, or is even making par, but we are currently punching around our own weight and it's worth remembering that, if only for our sanity.

Suffering since 1978.

Some boring stats to put things in perspective on 17:19 - Jan 7 with 4515 viewsJuzzie

Whilst things have indeed been somewhat frustrating the last few years, I'm not one for demanding PL football at any cost.
Nor, like many other football fans/media etc, do I subscribe to the idea it's a 'results business'. It's all that kind of money driven crappy pressure that's turning (well, has turned) football into a horrible thing.

Thankfully I'm very aware of what QPR is and I've been going since the 1982/83 season.

How I laughed when Briatore said on the pitch QPR would be playing Champions League football in 4 years - that was the real 4 year plan, it got conveniently changed to 'getting to the PL' when it was obvious CL football was not going to happen.

The last few years has turned people into very demanding folk.
Some boring stats to put things in perspective on 17:28 - Jan 7 with 4501 viewsMatch82

Some boring stats to put things in perspective on 17:19 - Jan 7 by Juzzie

Whilst things have indeed been somewhat frustrating the last few years, I'm not one for demanding PL football at any cost.
Nor, like many other football fans/media etc, do I subscribe to the idea it's a 'results business'. It's all that kind of money driven crappy pressure that's turning (well, has turned) football into a horrible thing.

Thankfully I'm very aware of what QPR is and I've been going since the 1982/83 season.

How I laughed when Briatore said on the pitch QPR would be playing Champions League football in 4 years - that was the real 4 year plan, it got conveniently changed to 'getting to the PL' when it was obvious CL football was not going to happen.

The last few years has turned people into very demanding folk.

Apparently TF gave similar rhetoric when he took over, albeit adding "winning the premier league"
Some boring stats to put things in perspective on 17:34 - Jan 7 with 4483 viewsfrancisbowles

Just for the record:

Didn't we win an award for best toilets one year?
Some boring stats to put things in perspective on 17:37 - Jan 7 with 4476 viewsFredManRave

Some boring stats to put things in perspective on 17:34 - Jan 7 by francisbowles

Yes. The year when all the other clubs boycotted the competition.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Some boring stats to put things in perspective on 17:44 - Jan 7 with 4449 viewsfrancisbowles

Some boring stats to put things in perspective on 17:37 - Jan 7 by FredManRave

Yes. The year when all the other clubs boycotted the competition.

Believe it or not I was being serious. Anyone else remember this?
Some boring stats to put things in perspective on 18:07 - Jan 7 with 4426 viewsterryb

Some boring stats to put things in perspective on 17:34 - Jan 7 by francisbowles

I'm not doubting you, but the standard had to be a litte s****y though!

That's something you can't do in the Upper Loft after an hour before kick off.
Unlike our defence, the loo's are always blocked by then!
Some boring stats to put things in perspective on 18:25 - Jan 7 with 4414 viewsQPRDave

Some boring stats to put things in perspective on 17:44 - Jan 7 by francisbowles

Flushed with success that year
Some boring stats to put things in perspective on 19:41 - Jan 7 with 4336 viewsaston_hoop

Some boring stats to put things in perspective on 17:44 - Jan 7 by francisbowles

Feel free to read my post higher up

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Some boring stats to put things in perspective on 19:43 - Jan 7 with 4335 viewsytt28

We won a BAFTA in 91/92. Best Away Fan Toilets!
Some boring stats to put things in perspective on 21:12 - Jan 7 with 4286 viewsQPRDave

Just for the record:

Every one forgotten when we were Kings of Italy?

Trofeo Bortolotti winners 2011
[Post edited 7 Jan 2016 21:15]
Some boring stats to put things in perspective on 21:20 - Jan 7 with 4259 viewsDannyPaddox

Some boring stats to put things in perspective on 21:12 - Jan 7 by QPRDave

Every one forgotten when we were Kings of Italy?

Trofeo Bortolotti winners 2011
[Post edited 7 Jan 2016 21:15]

Ah yes ... The Battenberg Cake Kings!
Some boring stats to put things in perspective on 22:25 - Jan 7 with 4213 viewsLythamR

We also won "best away toilets" about 15 years ago as well

Thats not to be sniffed at!
Some boring stats to put things in perspective on 12:58 - Jan 8 with 3981 viewsGetMeRangers

Our proud cup history has left tomorrows game nicely posed for the converted second spot

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024