Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Being a QPR legend 11:13 - Jan 24 with 7039 viewsnightwish

How many years do you think a player needs to play for QPR to become a QPR legend.Where would Charlie Austin rate.I believe if he had been at QPR for another couple of seasons he would have been in that category.You have your real legends like Rodney Marsh,Stan Bowles,Gerry Francis etc Then you have the likes of Kevin Gallen,I sort of even regard the likes of Gino Padula as a bit QPR legend.In the end it is where a great player makes his name at one particular club.I suppose you could grade it like grade 1 legends ie Marsh,Bowles,Francis etc Grade 2 legends Padula etc then great players ie Charlie Austin that don't fit the legend category.
Being a QPR legend on 11:42 - Jan 24 with 5061 viewsHollowayRanger

play 10 seasons
score 100 goals
score final winner
be exception

Austin was very good but no legend

zamorra is for one moment of brilliance

taarabt is a legend for that season but a tainted one at that

clint hill would have been but we got him a few seasons too late

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Being a QPR legend on 11:47 - Jan 24 with 5044 viewsJuzzie

Example: When we played Brighton i had a bit of a 'disagreement' with a bloke behind me about Zamora.

Zamoras named was cheered by the crowd in the team line ups before kick off, he was cheered as he warmed up along the touchline, he was cheered when he came on.

I was losing my patience at this point. We we 2-1 down at the time and we are cheering an opposition striker?!! It was overkill.

So i turned around and said so aimed at anyone generally behind me who were in the main seemingly really happy whilst we were losing a game. This one bloke bit back and said "he's a fking legend, i'll cheer him in the same way i cheered Marsh and Bowles".

Fk me, comparing Zamora to those two?? I said to him "are you kiddiing? He did fk all for years earning some £10m and he's a legend because of one goal?!". We agreed to disagree then shook hands when Austin equalised!

So, no, IMO Zamora is not a legend. Thanks for 'that' goal but a legend it does not make.

On to Austin.... 2 1/2 seasons (only seems like yesterday he got his first goal at Exeter in the League Cup) and scored some great goals (hat trick v WBA, the two v Brighton his last for us) but I would not class him as a legend. Had he been with us a couple more years and continued in the same vein then yes. But 2 1/2 years is not long enough imo to be a legend.

Close, but not close enough.

Same with Taarabtt, wonderful season in 2010/11 but not enough.

The term 'legend' has been diluted, it's banded around far too casually IMO.

[Post edited 24 Jan 2016 12:06]
Being a QPR legend on 11:48 - Jan 24 with 5042 viewsRSoul

Would you count Cookie's 250k as exception? I would, LEGEND!!
Being a QPR legend on 12:14 - Jan 24 with 4988 viewsPlanetHonneywood

What makes a legend is the next/future generations being interested by tales regaled with extreme fondness, love, reverence by previous generations!

Zamora's legendary status is not linked to his play as it is to the the fact that against the run of play and a man down, he scored at Wembley to give us a collective orgasm not experienced round these here parts for nearly 50 years.

If Hoilett's cross had made it's way to Austin and deprived us of another Bobby dazzler, it's inconceivable that any of us will be waxing lyrical to some pup in thirty years time about Bobby's years at QPR, aside of that magical moment.

Which it most definitely was, and the commentary of which usually heralds the arrival of the morning for Mrs PlanetHonneywood and myself as its my alarm sound and should I ever meet Mr. Zamora, I would happily blow the froth off a few with him.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Being a QPR legend on 12:29 - Jan 24 with 4963 viewsHollowayRanger

will be watched and enjoyed till my end of days

Sinclair goal is the next most recent thing I can remember wanting to watch over and over
[Post edited 24 Jan 2016 12:31]

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Being a QPR legend on 12:36 - Jan 24 with 4946 viewsRamseyR

Zamora gave us a legendary moment.....but the man himself is not a QPR legend in my book.
Being a QPR legend on 12:53 - Jan 24 with 4915 viewsqpr85

If we are talking about fondness and love then yes he is a legend. You can talk about how he left us for what we paid for him all you want.

However, look back on he done for our club. His goals helped us get promoted. Without him we would be in our third year in the championship or quite possibly second year in league 1.

He could have followed the money to Leicester or whoever came in for him during the summer but believed like the rest of the squad and some fans we could get promoted. So he stayed to try and make that happen.

Something happened between November and December that made him and the board realise we are not going up so did what he thought was best for him and the club and left with a fee and add ons.

You wouldn't get many players doing that in today's game they would have been off in August so for that and everything else he did, for me he is a legend. Not in the same vain as Marsh, Bowels or Francis but in the same Way I see Lee Cook, Abdel Tarrabt and Shaun Derry.
I loved watching him in a QPR shirt and feel privileged to have helped his career. Absolutely a legend!!
Being a QPR legend on 13:01 - Jan 24 with 4903 viewsWatford_Ranger

I'm way too young for Bowles and Marsh and only saw Ferdinand when I was five or six. Cook, Austin, Shittu and Taarabt are all legends to me.
Login to get fewer ads

Being a QPR legend on 13:13 - Jan 24 with 4880 viewsQPRDave

Seems to be a far too easy to gain this accolade these days.
Sexton's team would have 5 I reckon that could claim the title, simply because of what they achieved.
Les could claim it too, and Alan McDonald, Danny Maddix.
Oh and Marsh of course
[Post edited 24 Jan 2016 13:14]
Being a QPR legend on 13:15 - Jan 24 with 4865 viewsTheBlob

I thought legends were those people you haven't actually seen,the tales of whom handed down usually over a tankard or two of a foaming ale and seated beside a crackling log fire.

Like Colonel Sanders

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Being a QPR legend on 13:21 - Jan 24 with 4851 viewspeejaybee

A legend before their were legends
Don Masson.

If at first you dont succeed, pack up and f**k off home.

Being a QPR legend on 14:20 - Jan 24 with 4779 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

No set criteria for legends.

Jimmy Glass for Carlisle and Matt Le Tissier for Southampton . Both legends for two different reasons.

For the record, Austin not a legend for me, just a good player.
Being a QPR legend on 14:42 - Jan 24 with 4739 viewsDougal_RBlock

The thing is it depends on what generation of QPR you have watched.....

A legend is an untouchable, an individual that has done so much for the club that they when you speak their name you always think of their association of the club.

Marsh, Francis, Bowles (too young to have seen them play) come under this category.

But then you have your cult heros.

Wegerle, Ferdinand, Bircham, chris day, shittu, Rowlands, Gallen, Taraabt, Zamora (and im sure theres plenty more) are in this bracket for myself.

This won't apply for all, but I loved Rob Steiner when he played for us (mainly after my first away trip, at Ipswich, when he scored a couple) Cult hero, not a legend.
Everyone will have their own cult hero, some will agree others won't. But very few, will make it to true legendary status.
[Post edited 24 Jan 2016 14:44]
Being a QPR legend on 15:13 - Jan 24 with 4715 viewsAntti_Heinola

Being a QPR legend on 14:42 - Jan 24 by Dougal_RBlock

The thing is it depends on what generation of QPR you have watched.....

A legend is an untouchable, an individual that has done so much for the club that they when you speak their name you always think of their association of the club.

Marsh, Francis, Bowles (too young to have seen them play) come under this category.

But then you have your cult heros.

Wegerle, Ferdinand, Bircham, chris day, shittu, Rowlands, Gallen, Taraabt, Zamora (and im sure theres plenty more) are in this bracket for myself.

This won't apply for all, but I loved Rob Steiner when he played for us (mainly after my first away trip, at Ipswich, when he scored a couple) Cult hero, not a legend.
Everyone will have their own cult hero, some will agree others won't. But very few, will make it to true legendary status.
[Post edited 24 Jan 2016 14:44]

Agree, although I wouldn't say Les Ferdinand was a cult hero - I think he's a genuine legend. Possibly the best striker to ever play for QPR (*possibly* before anyone shouts at me!). I think cult heroes tend to be mavericks (Taarabt, Gino), or great club men (Clint Hill).

Much of this comes down to people's definition of legend, though. Ultimately, if a player is a 'legend' in your eyes, for whatever reason, then that's up to you - I don't like the sniffiness that is around the word 'legend' sometimes. It's almost as if you're not allowed to really like any modern players anymore (and that is part of a huge article I'm planning to write at the end of this season). For example, we will never have a player who anyone will allow you to say is better than Bowles. He's number one, that's it. No argument. And that's fine, I'd agree with it, but with time players achieve a mythical status that newer players haven't a hope of reaching.

For me, having watched since the 80s, my QPR legends are:

Gerry Francis
Alan McDonald
Les Ferdinand
Paul Parker
Paul Furlong
Kevin Gallen

Then I have my own cult heroes just below that level: Maddix, Cook, Gino, Shittu, Taarabt, Austin, Wilson, Bardsley, Sinclair, Sinton, Bannister, Byrne, Clint Hill, Derry, Faurlin, Warnock, Ainsworth and I like to remember just how utterly brilliant Wilkins was for us, too - I think that gets forgotten these days, which is a shame.

Obviously, Bowles, Marsh, Ingham, Springett, Parkes, Masson, Thomas, Stock, Sexton, Venables etc also come in there, but the above are from my time.

Bare bones.

Being a QPR legend on 15:59 - Jan 24 with 4672 viewseasthertsr

Been a supporter since the mid sixties legends Rodney ,Stan, Gerry, Les all the others are greats or good players not legends!
Being a QPR legend on 16:04 - Jan 24 with 4661 viewsterryb

Thankfully there is no set criteria.

I wouldn't disagree too much with the Annti definition & the distinction between legend & cult hero. I also would agree mostly with him about his positioning of the players he mentioned.

However, for me, there are two player's he didn't mention & one of his cult hero's that are legends.

Bobby Hazel is the first. Due solely to one match. His mastery of Regis & being the main reason why we beat West Brom in the semi final lifted him to this level.

The next is the little kid from Kingsbury that grew up supportimng Rangers & was a true representative of us all on the pitch. Gary Waddock displayed his love of the club every time he put on the shirt. He could also play a little bit too!

My other candidate is Ale Faurlin. Not just because he has survived nearly ten years with us. He joined us with no love of the club or of London. Now, both are very much a part of him & have been passed down to his son. Add to that his sheer determination to overcome three career threatening injuries so he could continue to play the game he loves & for the team he loves.

We will be telling the future generations how we were privillged to see a professional footballer refuse to let fate destroy him!
Being a QPR legend on 16:09 - Jan 24 with 4653 viewsHarbour

Like others it is all a matter of opinions...As a Kid watching Rangers Phil Parkes Dave Clement Dave Thomas Stanley and Rodney were Legends to me,,,,As an adult les, Shittu,Charlie Adel Ale Faurlin Shaun Derry Clint Hill are my legends....
Being a QPR legend on 16:14 - Jan 24 with 4642 viewsShotKneesHoop

Being a QPR legend on 15:59 - Jan 24 by easthertsr

Been a supporter since the mid sixties legends Rodney ,Stan, Gerry, Les all the others are greats or good players not legends!

This is correct - these four players named are legends.

The rest are in the same category as Mark Lazarus, Brian Bedford, Clive Clarke. Great players but not legends. Macca is the only other one on the borders of legendary. In fact, bung him in too.

Who could not disagree with that choice if they'd endured rationing, gripe water, orange juice, cod liver oil, Jubblies, Black Jacks, tripe, spam fritters, school dinners custard, the 105 bus and Doctor Beeching's cuts.

All the things that made this country what it is. Totally phooked.

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

Being a QPR legend on 16:17 - Jan 24 with 4636 viewsTGRRRSSS

SOmeone mentions cult hero - and suggests Ferdinand.Disagree he's in legendary status for me for what he did in his time and the context of QPR at that time, and to be honest for what happened after he left, oh and lets face it £6m then must be like getting someone today for say £1m then getting offer of 30m odd later on.

Austin for me comes somewhere between legend and cult hero I guess, what is not in doubt is how much he developed as a play at QPR and thats despite playing in some of the most disastrous and chaotic (even for us) times.

Just watch the fuss he gets and fawning now he ISNT at QPR anymore and has joined a "media darling" club.
Being a QPR legend on 16:23 - Jan 24 with 4624 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Bowles
Marsh
Francis
Les
Daphne

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Being a QPR legend on 16:31 - Jan 24 with 4616 viewsRSoul

Jamie "most influential person last 2016 years" Pollock.
I know, but it did make you smile
Being a QPR legend on 16:42 - Jan 24 with 4599 viewsQPRDave

Think the days of Legend in modern football are as long gone as one substitute.
With the money and agents involved players aren't staying anywhere very long.
The days of having an Alan McDonald at a club our size is very unlikely to be repeated
Being a QPR legend on 16:46 - Jan 24 with 4593 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Being a QPR legend on 16:42 - Jan 24 by QPRDave

Think the days of Legend in modern football are as long gone as one substitute.
With the money and agents involved players aren't staying anywhere very long.
The days of having an Alan McDonald at a club our size is very unlikely to be repeated

We might as stay at home every Saturday then.
Being a QPR legend on 17:16 - Jan 24 with 4567 viewsRSoul

Jim Gregory, who made our club what it is.
Being a QPR legend on 17:19 - Jan 24 with 4561 viewsessextaxiboy

Steve Palmer

Captain , while we came back from the brink . Delivered Ollies message on the pitch, not the best but gave everything every game until he left .

[Post edited 24 Jan 2016 17:21]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024