Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Kids... 07:11 - Mar 16 with 16504 views18StoneOfHoop

..who'd want to be one today? What have they to look forward to ???

(1) A chance of the first step on the housing ladder in London? No foo king chance!
(2) University education subsidised by the state like in the good old 80's?
Sorry, minimum of 30k for 3 years for you or your parents to have hanging over your head for years to pay back eventually.
(3) Imminent elderly nursing home explosion..who's going to pay for it?..the kids of course!
(4) Pensions to start at 70.
and now the absolute tin lid killer from George Osborne:
(5) An 8 hour school-day!
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/georgeosborne/12195132/Budget-2016-Geor

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/mar/15/british-teenagers-among-least-sat

What with all the stress I can't see them getting any skinnier.
Taking comfort refuge in their mobiles,fizzy drinks and cake and burgers very understandable.

[Post edited 16 Mar 2016 7:35]

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

Kids... on 07:43 - Mar 16 with 11085 viewsizlingtonhoop

Climate emergency.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/mar/14/february-breaks-global-temperatu
Kids... on 08:53 - Mar 16 with 11021 viewsClive_Anderson

Also kids aren't allowed to do anything anymore. They banned playing football in the street in the 90s, but now they're banning it on green spaces too by sticking "no ball games" signs up everywhere.

Parents seem to give their kids loads less freedom as well these days with every minute of their free time being carefully managed. We were just left to get on with it.
Kids... on 08:59 - Mar 16 with 11004 viewsozexile

Very very hard to be a good nowadays,. What with social mefia, internet, mobiles there's no off button for them.
Kids... on 09:23 - Mar 16 with 10969 viewsCroydonCaptJack

My son is at University and in his own words is having the time of his life.

Kids... on 09:31 - Mar 16 with 10945 viewsjamois

You see that announcement about Academies yesterday? So central government is going to control their education too. Stealthy totalitarianism.

One thing though is that kids aren't going to see what they're missing out on if they never had it. It's the inverse of why hooray henrys get to live in such ignorant bliss.......

Poll: What's our back 4 for Wembley?

Kids... on 09:44 - Mar 16 with 10919 viewsdaveB

Lots of great movies for kids though like the Marvel films and Star Wars plus Lego is fantastic these days and theme parks get better every year. Ok when they grow up it will be crap and boring but that was the same for us as well
Kids... on 09:57 - Mar 16 with 10892 viewsTheBlob

They've got a better chance of meeting real life extra terrestrials.

And seeing a new ground built.*

*(hold on thar Blob,let's not go too far)

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Kids... on 10:05 - Mar 16 with 10882 viewsbob566

I'm sure our parents were saying the same thing when we were buying our houses for 200k when they probably bought theirs for 10k.
Login to get fewer ads

Kids... on 10:25 - Mar 16 with 10844 viewsN12Hoop

I'm 45, but since my childhood:
1. Over population in London
2. Increasing violence on the streets
3. Jammed tubes, even at 7am
4. Jammed roads as early as 6am (North Bloody Circular)
5. Proliferation of 'legal highs' that can kill you
6. 5 hour waits at A&E (see 1 above)
7. No chance to buy a home near family (£500k for a 2 bed flat 'round my way).
8. Instant gratification - no patience required anymore and no gratitude: no need to sit through adverts, wait for your birthday to get a new game etc. Now we have fast forward TV and the App Store
9. Speed cameras, average speed cameras, road humps (particularly in bloody Ealing!). Driving in a few years will be torture.
10. £30++ to watch a crap game of football now. God knows what they'll end up paying. I remember paying a fiver to watch England.
11. A degree to flip burgers in McDonalds
12. Work 'til you die.

I feel sorry for my lot! Hopefully they'll also get to see the demise of the Scum though

Poll: Who would you most like to see win the Premiership?

Kids... on 10:34 - Mar 16 with 10817 viewsAgedR

I have complete faith in them to build a better society and put right some of the awful fuxk ups of the baby boomer generation.

And they have the joy of experiencing their first leg over, first pint and first Rangers trip to Wembley, so I don't feel that sorry for them.

Poll: Who do we want out of the way?

Kids... on 10:41 - Mar 16 with 10794 viewsBluce_Ree

I reckon I was born at the perfect time. 1974.

It meant that I grew up with 80s music and movies. I was in high school and college in the 90s when music was incredible (grunge, post-hardcore, the only good period for rap music, really good metal). I got to experience old gaming tech when it was new. I got to grow up without the pressure of the internet.

And now I get to enjoy how things have changed.

That said, a kid today is growing up in the future. It'll have to work out one way or another. Yeah it sucks trying to get a house in London but leave London and you'll be fine. They'll get all the gadgets and all the medical advances.

You'll be injecting stem cells into your f**king face and curing blindness and shit by then.

And Chelsea will have collapsed financially and physically.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Kids... on 10:59 - Mar 16 with 10758 viewsJuzzie

Juzzie Jnr is 17 months old now and it does concern me what world he has now entered and will grow up in.

But then, I try not to think about it and switch on the PS4 for half an hour when he's gone to bed.
Kids... on 11:01 - Mar 16 with 10754 viewsbacardiinbrissie

That's the reason we moved to Aus
Kids... on 11:31 - Mar 16 with 10691 viewsTheBlob

Kids... on 11:01 - Mar 16 by bacardiinbrissie

That's the reason we moved to Aus

How do you say that in Mandarin?

Kids... on 11:32 - Mar 16 with 10689 viewsMrSheen

Kids... on 10:25 - Mar 16 by N12Hoop

I'm 45, but since my childhood:
1. Over population in London
2. Increasing violence on the streets
3. Jammed tubes, even at 7am
4. Jammed roads as early as 6am (North Bloody Circular)
5. Proliferation of 'legal highs' that can kill you
6. 5 hour waits at A&E (see 1 above)
7. No chance to buy a home near family (£500k for a 2 bed flat 'round my way).
8. Instant gratification - no patience required anymore and no gratitude: no need to sit through adverts, wait for your birthday to get a new game etc. Now we have fast forward TV and the App Store
9. Speed cameras, average speed cameras, road humps (particularly in bloody Ealing!). Driving in a few years will be torture.
10. £30++ to watch a crap game of football now. God knows what they'll end up paying. I remember paying a fiver to watch England.
11. A degree to flip burgers in McDonalds
12. Work 'til you die.

I feel sorry for my lot! Hopefully they'll also get to see the demise of the Scum though

I'm not sure it's that bad. I have three teenagers and their fear of violence is much less than mine in the late 70s and early 80s. Everyone you didn't know then was a potential threat, but now they have such enormous numbers of contacts through social media that even if they don't know a stranger, they tend to have a lot of people in common. They are happy to go anywhere and talk to anyone. Depends where you live, I suppose.

As for work til you die, that applied much more when the retirement age was 65 and average male life expectancy was 67. Part of the crisis of pension and social care provision is that everyone hangs around much longer these days, a real problem of real success. Don't fancy going past 80 myself though.
Kids... on 12:17 - Mar 16 with 10625 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Kids... on 11:32 - Mar 16 by MrSheen

I'm not sure it's that bad. I have three teenagers and their fear of violence is much less than mine in the late 70s and early 80s. Everyone you didn't know then was a potential threat, but now they have such enormous numbers of contacts through social media that even if they don't know a stranger, they tend to have a lot of people in common. They are happy to go anywhere and talk to anyone. Depends where you live, I suppose.

As for work til you die, that applied much more when the retirement age was 65 and average male life expectancy was 67. Part of the crisis of pension and social care provision is that everyone hangs around much longer these days, a real problem of real success. Don't fancy going past 80 myself though.

Good post, it always amuses me when people moan about working longer whilst conveniently forgetting that they are living much longer.
Kids... on 12:32 - Mar 16 with 10584 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Lost count of how many times I have returned to London/UK from living overseas and the only real solace I think I can offer, is that much of what is said above, is the same as I have experienced all around the planet.

If you haven't read Orwell's '1984' or 'Animal Farm' for that matter, the unerring accuracy of his predictions is chillingly obvious for all to see on a daily basis. How life is imitating art is also fascinating - if you've seen the existence envisioned by Fritz Lang in his 1927 film 'Metropolis', its uncanny.

Yesterday the news carried a piece about an AI machine trouncing the human world champion of some Chinese board game. That alone should ring alarm bells about the rise of the machines!

Kids today, don't envy them at all!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Kids... on 12:51 - Mar 16 with 10538 viewsnix

My God some of you are a cheery lot!

My kids have been to a number of different countries by early teens. I used to go on awful hols to b&bs where they literally put one tea bag in the pot to share for three people.

They've had football lessons, tennis lessons and swimming lessons since they were small. I had to get a Saturday job in Woolies before I could afford to join the local tennis club.

My heyday was the 80s when big hair and shoulder pads was the fashion - not very flattering, believe me for the, ahem, more fully figured lady. These days there's loads of choice. Pretty much anything goes,

There are tons of different restaurants now, with massive choice. Apart from holidays I don't think I went to a restaurant until I was 18, and then it was an Angus steak house (!)

Most of their teachers care about their education and bother to make lessons interesting. My school years tipped between terror by sadistic monsters or being bored silly by teachers who couldn't be arsed to teach - just give out facts.

I don't think I had it hard - just that's how things were. I take the point that some things are much harder - getting into a career or buying a property. But I do think there are far more options and variety of leisure now. It's my job to take some of the pressure off them and I may have to live in a smaller house so they can afford to buy somewhere. But really why should I need a family house when I'm in my 60s and 70s?

I guess my point is that all times have their advantages and disadvantages. My parents retired early, made fortunes in property, had cracking pensions but my mum was evacuated in the war and dad was a prisoner of war for five years.
Kids... on 12:54 - Mar 16 with 10531 viewsBoston

It's so bad in London that five million people are moving in next week alone.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Kids... on 13:15 - Mar 16 with 10476 viewsTheBlob

Kids... on 12:32 - Mar 16 by PlanetHonneywood

Lost count of how many times I have returned to London/UK from living overseas and the only real solace I think I can offer, is that much of what is said above, is the same as I have experienced all around the planet.

If you haven't read Orwell's '1984' or 'Animal Farm' for that matter, the unerring accuracy of his predictions is chillingly obvious for all to see on a daily basis. How life is imitating art is also fascinating - if you've seen the existence envisioned by Fritz Lang in his 1927 film 'Metropolis', its uncanny.

Yesterday the news carried a piece about an AI machine trouncing the human world champion of some Chinese board game. That alone should ring alarm bells about the rise of the machines!

"The Machine Stops" by EM Forster is quite prophetic.
You can find all manner of potentially plausible dystopias (dystopiae?)in serious science fiction.

I'm not one of the doom laden.I'd love to be a kid again - so many opportunities,much more so than when I was growing up.And the discoveries - one lifetime just isn't enough.

Kids... on 15:02 - Mar 16 with 10382 viewsrunningman75

If Leicester City win the league there is the chance of QPR getting out of the championship in the next 50 years time.
Kids... on 15:32 - Mar 16 with 10338 viewsMetallica_Hoop

What nobody mentioned the impending rise of the dead and following Zombie apocalypse? Pfft.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Kids... on 15:33 - Mar 16 with 10334 viewskensalriser

I think it's a myth there's more violent crime in London than in previous decades.

Yes, there's a problem with knife crime related to gangs but turf wars between groups of youths from rival areas is nothing new and neither is gangster violence. Look at what we had to contend with in the 70s and 80s - rampant football hooliganism and much higher levels of casual street violence, often stranger to stranger. Anyone who went to gigs in the late 70s and early 80s knows what I'm talking about.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Kids... on 15:42 - Mar 16 with 10322 viewsA40Bosh

Kids... on 12:32 - Mar 16 by PlanetHonneywood

I saw an Orwell related post somewhere recently perhaps on here or maybe on Facebook that made me chuckle.

To paraphase, it was something along the lines of "FFS I wrote it as a warning not as an instruction manual!!!"

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Kids... on 16:57 - Mar 16 with 10249 viewspaulparker

No Raves,
No E's
No dodgy pirate radio stations
No underage drinking in dodgy pubs
No great QPR side like in the 80's and 90's
No mobiles

we had it great , the kids today have it worse

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024