Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just back 19:43 - Mar 19 with 6613 viewsingeminate

Some great performances today, Clint Hill was magnificent, as was James Perch who put his body(or to be accurate head) on the line for the cause. Continues to look a completely different player. Ned and mackie seemed to struggle defensively as a unit and felt it was a bit too easy for them to get a ball in with us standing off. Mackie tried as always, but was off the pace and prob weak link today.

I thought polter was good, scored, put himself about and went for a few through balls which either didn't quite come off but you could see what he was doing, or did and Cherry really should have done better. Junior had a decent game, just here and there he switches off and Smithies was giving him an earful on a couple of occasions for not properly tracking. That said he worked his socks off, made some great challenges(!>) too.

A draw wasn't complete unfair, it was an even game, just annoying they scored so late and just after cherry missed the chance of the game. Reffing diabolical throughout, both sets of supporters giving him pelters - esp their end, seemed massively out of his depth to me.

If not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled. PG Wodehouse
Poll: Should Jimmy be sacked?

Just back on 19:48 - Mar 19 with 6569 viewsconnell10

Thanks mate good report, what did you think of jimmy bringing on Hall near the end? Did we start to defend to deep? Were we over crowded in defence?

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Just back on 20:21 - Mar 19 with 6392 viewsingeminate

Just back on 19:48 - Mar 19 by connell10

Thanks mate good report, what did you think of jimmy bringing on Hall near the end? Did we start to defend to deep? Were we over crowded in defence?

He brought Hall on so late, just checked BBC to see what the minute was and it has got 89th minute, I don't think it was a bad move. We were getting pushed back at the end so think it made sense. Where the 4th official got 6 minutes from I'll never know, we always looked dangerous on the break, only bug bear is after polter scored so early I'd have loved for him to have got more service in the air which didn't really happen.

If not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled. PG Wodehouse
Poll: Should Jimmy be sacked?

Just back on 22:50 - Mar 19 with 5897 viewsDWQPR

Should also be mentioned that Hall almost got on the end of a short back pass and came close to getting the ball before the keeper before their keeper made a great meal of things claiming that Hall had kicked him, which subsequently led to Hall getting a telling off from the ref, 100 lines on why he should not be so aggressive on a football match and detention on Monday afternoon after games. And he also gave him a yellow card.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Just back on 01:46 - Mar 20 with 5600 viewsNeil_SI

Thought that was a really good dogged performance from us. We were unfortunate not to win, though I guess if you let that many balls come into the box then you're always prone to one going in eventually and that's what happened.

But we defended so resolutely throughout, with players getting their head or feet onto almost everything that came into the box. It was a gritty display and one you'd often say was more akin to a Northern team in those parts.

And we played some decent stuff on the break too. We countered nicely and really should have won the game but for Lindergaard's save from Chery and there's no doubt we probably should have seen a red card given for another incident involving Chery when he got through on goal.

The refereeing was bizarre. It's not often I take notice of them, but in this instance, there were some farcical and baffling decisions made that angered both teams. We were the ones however that probably should have felt more aggrieved at the end.

Overall that was a really solid away day performance. The team looked fitter and sharper overall and that's always going to help your cause and I came away entertained and pleased with what we produced over the course of the game. Good signs.
Just back on 02:20 - Mar 20 with 5578 viewsBrixtonR

Just back on 01:46 - Mar 20 by Neil_SI

Thought that was a really good dogged performance from us. We were unfortunate not to win, though I guess if you let that many balls come into the box then you're always prone to one going in eventually and that's what happened.

But we defended so resolutely throughout, with players getting their head or feet onto almost everything that came into the box. It was a gritty display and one you'd often say was more akin to a Northern team in those parts.

And we played some decent stuff on the break too. We countered nicely and really should have won the game but for Lindergaard's save from Chery and there's no doubt we probably should have seen a red card given for another incident involving Chery when he got through on goal.

The refereeing was bizarre. It's not often I take notice of them, but in this instance, there were some farcical and baffling decisions made that angered both teams. We were the ones however that probably should have felt more aggrieved at the end.

Overall that was a really solid away day performance. The team looked fitter and sharper overall and that's always going to help your cause and I came away entertained and pleased with what we produced over the course of the game. Good signs.

Fair play. Glad things are looking up. Looking forward to next season and going again
Just back on 02:35 - Mar 20 with 5567 viewsJAPRANGERS

Just back on 01:46 - Mar 20 by Neil_SI

Always like your stuff. Thanks! By the way, I still have all those videos you took at matches a few seasons ago. You had an amazing ability to start filming when a goal would be scored!
Just back on 10:52 - Mar 20 with 5091 viewsterryb

Thank you Neil & Ingeminaste.

It sounds as if this was another performance that is moving us in the right direction.

Of course I would have preferred us to win, but we are in mid table where the result has little bearing on our season.

Therefore, I was more interested in eye witness reports than that we conceeded late on. I quite like match days being restful!
Just back on 11:07 - Mar 20 with 5056 viewsNeil_SI

Just back on 10:52 - Mar 20 by terryb

Thank you Neil & Ingeminaste.

It sounds as if this was another performance that is moving us in the right direction.

Of course I would have preferred us to win, but we are in mid table where the result has little bearing on our season.

Therefore, I was more interested in eye witness reports than that we conceeded late on. I quite like match days being restful!

That's a key point as well. It's a mid-table clash with little riding on it, but the players played with excellent focus and commitment throughout. They worked really hard during the game and there was a nice balance tactically. We picked and chose our moments to stick and hold our positions when not in possession, or when to press the play, and when we did press it was done collectively rather in dribs and drabs. It's been a long time since I've seen us play with that kind of tactical intelligence, and that comes from preparation and working hard in training.

JFH deserves praise for building momentum and keeping it going. It will still be hard to maintain that all the way through until the end of the season, because we are reaching a point of dead rubber matches, but when signs of that creep in, that's the perfect opportunity to freshen things up and get some of the younger players involved.

So we have an opportunity to turn any negatives into positives. But certainly there has been an improvement in fitness and work ethic recently and that's starting to translate into full performances across 90 minutes, rather than for just 45-60 minutes as we've so often seen. If we can keep this up we'll be able to build on it.

There were around 700 fans who made the trip up to Preston and they gave the team a worthy ovation at the end. It was an entertaining and engrossing game. We also were on the same train back with many of the players, who were warmly greeted by supporters and there was a nice relaxing attitude from the players and staff, who were happy to chat with fans and say hello and have pictures taken. Top stuff all round.
Login to get fewer ads

Just back on 11:54 - Mar 20 with 4956 viewsterryb

Thanks for that Neil.

A togetherness between club, management, players & supporters appears to be growing. You never know, perhaps this has been a far more sucessful saeson that any of us could have wished for!
Just back on 12:01 - Mar 20 with 4932 viewsTacticalR

Sounds too good to be true.

Air hostess clique

Just back on 12:52 - Mar 20 with 4825 viewsrsonist

Things finally seem to be coming together in terms of uniting the club (fans included) and JFH's playing philosophy taking a foothold.

Am I alone though in thinking we really need to stick or twist now about letting the play offs go and fully committing 100% to working for next season - the "extended pre-season". That means getting clear answers about who will be here next year and who won't be and making firm decisions on that basis - I'd rather be drawing a few meaningless games now with Washington, El Khayati, Luongo acclimatizing than winning them with Hoilett if he's not staying. (Phillips is a different case in that him being in the shop window will benefit us financially but it still applies that we shouldn't be putting out sides centered around him tactically).
[Post edited 20 Mar 2016 12:53]
Just back on 12:54 - Mar 20 with 4814 viewsnix

I wasn't at Preston but I did feel that we started to defend too deep at the Derby game and put our defence under too much pressure. In fact I shouted out to JFH to that effect (I'm very near the dugout) and he gave me a funny look but did usher them out after that. Maybe I need to go to away games too (!). Joking apart, I'm not sure our defence, though much improved, is quite solid enough to deal with sustained pressure from just holding onto a lead. We look better when we defend by still pushing forward and asking the question of the opposition defence.
Just back on 13:05 - Mar 20 with 4774 viewsNeil_SI

I don't think we should be thinking about the play-offs at all, we should just be taking it one game at a time and block building. Keep in mind that there will be a turnover of players in the summer, so this is just groundwork ahead of further re-shaping that needs to be done and that could stall things a little again, whether it's Championship or Premiership.

And, that's where we will really see what JFH's plans are. The team may sit a little deep for example, but that may also be because of the personnel he has available to him. He is bound by the attributes of the existing squad, so it's very possible that he needs different players to actually play the way he would like to. He has generally seemed to want a high pressing game across the whole match, but in his post match press conference yesterday, it was the first time he said that we can't play that way the whole game and have to pick and choose our moments.

So what I think what we've seen since he's been here, is that he's stuck to his philosophy and his players have struggled initially with that, because they've needed to be much fitter and then on top of that, some of the players may not have the style to still play how he wants after and that's not easy to do slap-bang in the middle of a season.

So right now, we're seeing some improvements as players get fitter and as that happens, their ability and confidence to play the way JFH wants improves, especially once you start picking up results and getting more consistent performances under your belt. That will give the players belief in the overall vision and that it can yield results.

But next season, what kind of team will we be once he's brought some players in? Will it be a team that sits deep and counters well? Will it be one that presses high up the park at all times? Will it be a more possession based team or direct team, etc? These are all questions that still need to be answered and will largely be based around player recruitment.

For example, the past few matches have clearly shown the need for a bruiser type of defender. Clint Hill's performances have been magnificent, but, there's no one else like him in the club. A player with experience and pedigree, who's willing to stick his head and feet in front of anything and these last few matches have been a reminder about what a player like that can add to the squad. And he can clearly still do a job at this level.
Just back on 13:17 - Mar 20 with 4732 viewsisawqpratwcity

As I replied to Bosh67 on the thread entitled "Disgraceful", the Beeb half-time stats were 65% possession for them, 35% for us, and I suggested at the time that Jimmy should consider bringing on another defender.

I didn't mean that in a 'park the bus' sense, our defence is too brittle and easily spooked for that, but rather we had to do something to get the ball off them and stop letting them build up the play to suit themselves.
[Post edited 20 Mar 2016 13:22]

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Just back on 13:58 - Mar 20 with 4649 viewsNeil_SI

Just back on 13:17 - Mar 20 by isawqpratwcity

As I replied to Bosh67 on the thread entitled "Disgraceful", the Beeb half-time stats were 65% possession for them, 35% for us, and I suggested at the time that Jimmy should consider bringing on another defender.

I didn't mean that in a 'park the bus' sense, our defence is too brittle and easily spooked for that, but rather we had to do something to get the ball off them and stop letting them build up the play to suit themselves.
[Post edited 20 Mar 2016 13:22]

Yeah perhaps, but we were very comfortable with them when they were in possession of the ball, even if we still allowed too many crosses to be fired in from wide positions too easily. In the end, we threw on Grant Hall to try and see the game out and it didn't really work, as it pretty much took our counter attacking threat away.

Sometimes those things go well for you and sometimes they don't. But I am really not that bothered at this point about results. I just want to see progressive football and us moving in the right direction, and you sense that even with the draw here, that was the case.

In the future, I'd like to see us do better in terms of defending and preventing crosses to come into the box too easily. We did well here in a different sense, Jamie Mackie did offer a lot more work rate and helping out by getting back, so we doubled up well enough, and Junior Hoilett did his fair share on the other side too. From there though, it's the technical aspect that needs work; the agility to engage and the tactical nous to know when and how to do that. Both full backs and wide players could do better with this.

But the two centre-halves were utterly magnificent on the day. Angella and Hill really put in a gutsy display and dealt with everything thrown at them. Then on top of that, we did a great job of picking up those second balls as they dropped, which allowed us to fire off some counter attacks.

Stats and possession wise, we started really well in the first half and got in front, and then perhaps sat back just a little too much for a period of time where we could have maybe gone for the killer second more quickly. That was the time when Preston had a lot of the ball, and in those moments we didn't counter as well as we did in the second, where we recognised what we needed to do to take the next steps forward and to try and kill the game off. And we should have done, but more pleasingly even if we didn't, were some of the through balls were excellent. You can see if we play like that with Conor Washington in the side, his pace will get him into positions that utilise his strengths. This time around, we built it just a little slower so that Chery could bomb beyond Polter and get in behind. So those are two good options to explore.
Just back on 14:19 - Mar 20 with 4599 viewsisawqpratwcity

Just back on 13:58 - Mar 20 by Neil_SI

Yeah perhaps, but we were very comfortable with them when they were in possession of the ball, even if we still allowed too many crosses to be fired in from wide positions too easily. In the end, we threw on Grant Hall to try and see the game out and it didn't really work, as it pretty much took our counter attacking threat away.

Sometimes those things go well for you and sometimes they don't. But I am really not that bothered at this point about results. I just want to see progressive football and us moving in the right direction, and you sense that even with the draw here, that was the case.

In the future, I'd like to see us do better in terms of defending and preventing crosses to come into the box too easily. We did well here in a different sense, Jamie Mackie did offer a lot more work rate and helping out by getting back, so we doubled up well enough, and Junior Hoilett did his fair share on the other side too. From there though, it's the technical aspect that needs work; the agility to engage and the tactical nous to know when and how to do that. Both full backs and wide players could do better with this.

But the two centre-halves were utterly magnificent on the day. Angella and Hill really put in a gutsy display and dealt with everything thrown at them. Then on top of that, we did a great job of picking up those second balls as they dropped, which allowed us to fire off some counter attacks.

Stats and possession wise, we started really well in the first half and got in front, and then perhaps sat back just a little too much for a period of time where we could have maybe gone for the killer second more quickly. That was the time when Preston had a lot of the ball, and in those moments we didn't counter as well as we did in the second, where we recognised what we needed to do to take the next steps forward and to try and kill the game off. And we should have done, but more pleasingly even if we didn't, were some of the through balls were excellent. You can see if we play like that with Conor Washington in the side, his pace will get him into positions that utilise his strengths. This time around, we built it just a little slower so that Chery could bomb beyond Polter and get in behind. So those are two good options to explore.

Cheers for the extra observations, it all sounds very positive.

As I said on the other thread, I didn't see the game, I didn't even hear the game, so I'm happy to be corrected, but the half-time stats were telling me something had to be done. From memory, besides the 65-35% possession, they were also six corners to our one, and that was after 40 minutes of defending our lead.

Jimmy had to do something. That sort of pressure can't be sustained indefinitely.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Just back on 17:50 - Mar 20 with 4334 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Thanks for the reports, folks.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Just back on 09:30 - Mar 21 with 4043 viewsGetMeRangers

Thank you Neil.. your insight is much appreciated , as ever
Just back on 09:34 - Mar 21 with 4028 viewsTacticalR

Can anyone who was there comment on the state of the pitch? It looked quite poor on the highlights.

Air hostess clique

Just back on 10:02 - Mar 21 with 4005 viewsfrancisbowles

Thanks Neil. I usually agree with your comments and am educated by some of the insight when I have been at the match. When I miss the game then, along with Clive's report, I eagerly anticipate them and enjoy them enormously.
Just back on 10:09 - Mar 21 with 3991 viewssimmo

Bring back the Neil SI tactics articles! Like QPR's Michael Cox.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Just back on 20:04 - Mar 21 with 3754 viewsenfieldargh

Karl Henry has held his hand up at rushing out too quickly for their equaliser allowing the player to gain an extra yard before getting the cross in.

Also having watched cherrys miss from the tv angle and not from behind the goal feel he should have shot before he reached the box.......having said that Matt Phillips did this against Ipswich when put clean through, shot early and the keeper saved.

Can't remember the last one on one we had which we scored from.

RoWan vine up at burnley?

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Just back on 22:48 - Mar 21 with 3659 viewsLadbrokeR

I take it that Jimmy opted for 3 centre backs when Hall went on. I have never felt comfortable with this its almost as if you invite team in. The game was there for the taking.
Just back on 10:04 - Mar 22 with 3561 viewsfrancisbowles

Just back on 20:04 - Mar 21 by enfieldargh

Karl Henry has held his hand up at rushing out too quickly for their equaliser allowing the player to gain an extra yard before getting the cross in.

Also having watched cherrys miss from the tv angle and not from behind the goal feel he should have shot before he reached the box.......having said that Matt Phillips did this against Ipswich when put clean through, shot early and the keeper saved.

Didn't Poulter get a one on one against Brentford?
Just back on 12:18 - Mar 22 with 3523 viewssimmo

Just back on 20:04 - Mar 21 by enfieldargh

The Routledge away at Reading was particularly special.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024