Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Faurlin Leaving 09:34 - May 9 with 26281 viewsdaveB

according to this

http://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/junior-hoilett-qpr-contract
Faurlin Leaving on 12:24 - May 9 with 2893 viewsbosh67

Faurlin Leaving on 12:12 - May 9 by hoof_hearted

You can't link wingers to forwards without some midfielders who have the capacity to go forward with them and then get back to defend. It crossed my mind on Saturday that our stilted slow play was actually rooted in Henry and Faurlin. The long pass or hoof is their only option most of the time if the ball is ever going to get upfield.

In JFH I trust - guaranteed until December!

PS Love the new Marty Feldman look. A hint of Gino Padula.

I get what you are saying hoof. My argument is that how many goals can you remember coming from a byline cross. I can only remember two all season. I get the lack of pace thing but it seems odd for Ale to complete a season without injury and be significantly better than anyone else in that position, only to find himself moved on. Very big call. I like JFH but there are certain areas of what he does that concern me and our wide play is one of them. Hoilett and Phillips will go.

Next season he has Petrasso, possibly Manning, El Khayati, Gladwin (on the left for god sake), Mackie and hopefully a few more to play wide but he needs players who can cross from the byline on their left and right feet, as appropriate. Of that group only Petrasso and Manning are out and out wingers.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Faurlin Leaving on 12:33 - May 9 with 2852 viewsCiderwithRsie

Faurlin Leaving on 10:14 - May 9 by DejR_vu

The problem with Faurlin is that he is effectively only half a player. Fantastic on the ball but he can't run and he can't tackle anymore. So we have to have another player who can cover for him which overall is detrimental to the team.

The problem with retaining Hill is, ironically, that you know you can rely on him and so will end up using him more than you should. That's game-time that should be going to someone with a few years ahead of him, not a 37/38 year old, because you're just kicking the can down the road.

If we're serious about putting proper foundations in place and building a team for the long-term it has to be without both of them. Painful to see them go as I think they're both fantastic. In Hill's case in particular I can't think of many players I've ever liked and respected more in 40 years of supporting the club. If he would accept a non-playing role he should be retained in some capacity around the playing staff.

Sad but true.
Faurlin Leaving on 12:39 - May 9 with 2818 viewsCiderwithRsie

Faurlin Leaving on 11:07 - May 9 by daveB

all well and good wanting a pressing game but it's a long season and you need more than one way to win games. A poor decision imo and one that will come back and bite the manager by the end of August.

Much in that.

Faurlin does give you the option of a different sort of game, one where he plays a similar role to Ray Wilkins in his pomp, who was also pretty much excused running and tackling. Wilkins of course played in a team with excellent wingers and attacking full backs, giving him plenty of options to spray the ball four ways diagonally (left or right forward to winger, left or right backwards to full back.) Also a very mobile forward pairing in Les plus Allen or Penrice. Bit different to current squad.

But I think finances come into it. If the pressing game is first choice then I doubt we have the cash to keep someone of Faurlin's quality as a sort of super-sub. I wish we did.

You're right that it will bite JFH in the bum if he doesn't get Plan A right.
[Post edited 9 May 2016 12:45]
Faurlin Leaving on 12:44 - May 9 with 2776 viewssimmo

all well and good wanting a pressing game but it's a long season and you need more than one way to win games. A poor decision imo and one that will come back and bite the manager by the end of August.

You might be overlooking the fact that Ale doesn't want a bit part role - he wants to play week in week out. Not only could we probably not offer him that, we're also not flush enough to pay the wages Ale would get on someone that's part of a 'Plan B'.

We're not privvy to conversations behind closed doors but maybe this decision was a little more mutual than JFH saying he's not wanted. He's been playing an awful lot for someone the manager doesn't rate.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Faurlin Leaving on 12:45 - May 9 with 2769 viewsRBlock

Absolutely gutted to see him go. Agree with De Ja's post above, however can't shake the feeling that this is a big mistake, even putting aside actual footballing reasons. We need people like Ale and Clint at the club, to teach the new arrivals what the place is about and why it is an honour to play for the here.
Faurlin Leaving on 12:46 - May 9 with 2754 viewsRANGERS4EVER

Will always love Ale, but if he is not in JFHs plans I have no complaints. Word rather see him go an enjoy his football week in week out, instead of rot on the bench with us. It's the least he deserves. Will always remember Ale, but also respect JFHs decision on this one

Poll: Who would you most like to see at QPR?

Faurlin Leaving on 12:50 - May 9 with 2713 viewsdaveB

Faurlin Leaving on 12:44 - May 9 by simmo

You might be overlooking the fact that Ale doesn't want a bit part role - he wants to play week in week out. Not only could we probably not offer him that, we're also not flush enough to pay the wages Ale would get on someone that's part of a 'Plan B'.

We're not privvy to conversations behind closed doors but maybe this decision was a little more mutual than JFH saying he's not wanted. He's been playing an awful lot for someone the manager doesn't rate.

Faurlins post on instagram doesn't suggest it was mutual
Faurlin Leaving on 12:53 - May 9 with 2691 viewsHunterhoop

And let's not forget his corners. How many have we scored from this season? His set piece delivery is excellent and better than anyone else's at the club. That, in itself, is a gap we need to fill.
Login to get fewer ads

Faurlin Leaving on 12:53 - May 9 with 2690 viewsPey

Hill and Faurlin are my favorite players at QPR, would keep them both as squad payers if the would like that role.
Think both are not to replace without losing some QPR family and love for the club feeling.
Faurlin Leaving on 12:53 - May 9 with 2688 viewsjohncharles

Faurlin Leaving on 12:44 - May 9 by simmo

Ale Instagram sounds like he's not at all happy about it.
Clint was obviously choked. More upset than he might have been had it been his own decision.
[Post edited 9 May 2016 12:54]

Strong and stable my arse.

Faurlin Leaving on 12:54 - May 9 with 2684 viewsTheBlob

Must not be allowed to leave.

On pain of death.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Faurlin Leaving on 12:59 - May 9 with 2645 viewssimmo

Faurlin Leaving on 12:50 - May 9 by daveB

Faurlins post on instagram doesn't suggest it was mutual

Yeah maybe so, but his post also tells us that he wants to play, every week, as he has said many times before. Even if we kept him he wouldn't be a guaranteed starter as he can't play the game that JFH wants to play and we can't afford to pay someone 1st team wages to be a mostly bench player. So the suggestion that we should keep him based on the fact he can offer a plan b doesn't work for either side.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Faurlin Leaving on 13:12 - May 9 with 2573 viewsYorkRanger

I know I may be in a minority of one on this, but I would sooner retain Henry than Faurlin.

If Hill is to be retained as back up, surely we should be looking for a younger player to fulfill this type of squad role.

Don't get me wrong, I've a lot of time for both players, both in terms of who they are, how they conduct themselves and the influence around the club.

If we are to move on though we have to avoid making sentimental decisions.

This post sounds harsh on Hill and Faurlin, its not meant to - I have nothing but admiration for both players
Faurlin Leaving on 13:21 - May 9 with 2527 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Faurlin Leaving on 10:14 - May 9 by DejR_vu

The problem with Faurlin is that he is effectively only half a player. Fantastic on the ball but he can't run and he can't tackle anymore. So we have to have another player who can cover for him which overall is detrimental to the team.

The problem with retaining Hill is, ironically, that you know you can rely on him and so will end up using him more than you should. That's game-time that should be going to someone with a few years ahead of him, not a 37/38 year old, because you're just kicking the can down the road.

If we're serious about putting proper foundations in place and building a team for the long-term it has to be without both of them. Painful to see them go as I think they're both fantastic. In Hill's case in particular I can't think of many players I've ever liked and respected more in 40 years of supporting the club. If he would accept a non-playing role he should be retained in some capacity around the playing staff.

Great post mate. Hard to disgree with that.
Faurlin Leaving on 13:24 - May 9 with 2510 viewsPunteR

Gutted. Lovely player and lovely guy. One of my all time favourite players.
I guess you've got to trust JFH judgment on this one though. Lets hope he brings in another quality player. And by quality I mean he has to be better than Faurlin otherwise what would be the point? big questions will be asked if it goes wrong.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Faurlin Leaving on 13:25 - May 9 with 2507 viewsR_from_afar

I totally agree. Forget what the fans will think of the decision due to Faurlin's popularity, this is madness from a tactical perspective. I was saying to those with me at the game last Saturday "How can Rangers score a goal?" There are three main ways at present: A set piece, a knock-down from Polter or a killer ball from Faurlin. Two of these three actually require Faurlin because he is by some distance the best we have at delivering a set piece.

Leaving Henry and Chery (whom I am treating as a striker, rightly or wrongly) to one side, we have ended up with a lot of midfield players who, theoretically, should be creating and scoring goals, but aren't (and I include Ale in the not scoring bit) and who are also poor at providing defensive cover. Junior and Phillips are on their way and were only occasional contributors anyway and apart from them, we have seen very few match-winning contributions from our other "creative" midfielders. Our midfield without Ale is barely Championship standard and I am very worried. Unless the likes of Luongo, El K, Gladwin etc really up their performances and/or quality new players are brought in, we will end up with a soft centre providing minimal support to the strikers and negligible cover to the defence. If the trend of our creative midfielders playing Parejo style cameo roles continues, we are in for a torrid time next season.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Faurlin Leaving on 13:28 - May 9 with 2469 viewsDannytheR

The thing that does surprise me is that this is going to mean even more player turnover this summer. We're going to have to recruit an entirely new midfield on top of the positions where it's clear we have to improve (RB, CB, strikers).

As others have said, there are good footballing arguments for this. We've spent all season complaining about the team not having enough energy and momentum, and much as I love Ale, him and Henry in the middle has been the biggest part of that.

But it's also going to mean yet more incomings, after Les talked about wanting to put an end to our habit of buying an entirely new team every summer (which spends the first half of the season trying to work out how to pass to each other). We probably needed a clean slate, but it's also strange to think we could start next season with Onuoha being the only player in the whole squad to have played in the first team for longer than a year.
Faurlin Leaving on 13:33 - May 9 with 2428 viewsR_from_afar

Faurlin Leaving on 10:21 - May 9 by hoof_hearted

Harsh truth? Faurlin is too slow to create any pressure on the opposition. Keeping him and Henry means we plan on playing hoof ball up to Poulter next season like we've drifted to so often in the last few months.

If we're going to turn those draws into wins next season then we need a pressing midfield pair so that they can get forward and still have the energy to get back when the opposition break. All the evidence says that can't be done by Faurlin, for sure and possibly not by Henry either.

That's the easy bit. The difficult bit is to find the players who can fulfil the role better. We'll certainly see if Sir Les and JFH are worth the big bucks this summer.

Well it's all opinions, isn't it, but I feel that Faurlin making his mostly excellent forward passes puts pressure on the opposition. He opens up teams like no one else in Hoops can, currently.

Ironically, I think this means that *without* Faurlin, we are *more* likely to have to rely on long balls up to Polter.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Faurlin Leaving on 13:37 - May 9 with 2410 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Faurlin Leaving on 13:28 - May 9 by DannytheR

The thing that does surprise me is that this is going to mean even more player turnover this summer. We're going to have to recruit an entirely new midfield on top of the positions where it's clear we have to improve (RB, CB, strikers).

As others have said, there are good footballing arguments for this. We've spent all season complaining about the team not having enough energy and momentum, and much as I love Ale, him and Henry in the middle has been the biggest part of that.

But it's also going to mean yet more incomings, after Les talked about wanting to put an end to our habit of buying an entirely new team every summer (which spends the first half of the season trying to work out how to pass to each other). We probably needed a clean slate, but it's also strange to think we could start next season with Onuoha being the only player in the whole squad to have played in the first team for longer than a year.

I agree.
On the face of it this would suggest another season of consolidation.
Faurlin Leaving on 13:46 - May 9 with 2358 viewsQPRDave

Well I'm only upset to see Clint go tbh, not bothered about the other 3
Faurlin Leaving on 13:48 - May 9 with 2342 viewsPlanetHonneywood

You scratch your head. You take a step back and maybe go for a walk around the garden and while doing so, you recall how in Hill and Ale, we enjoyed not just footballers, but QPR footballers.

You come in, you reread dejR-vu and you realise, yup, that's the right call. Why, because in your more lucid moments since Christmas, the evidence was there.

So its not so much of a brave call by JFH, but a logical one and the type we've seen precious little of over the last few years. As we should hope and expect, I'd JFH had made known who he wants and that three or four are lined up and I suspect this decision has been contributed to by economic factors as well.

Insofar as people are sad isn't so much the fact they are leaving, but rather the fact that in the midst of the mess we've been in over the last few years, Hill and Ale were not the muck rakers or the phish takers. They will always be welcomed back at HQ.

The bigger question for me however, we allegedly wanted Toilett to stay!
[Post edited 9 May 2016 13:49]

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Faurlin Leaving on 13:51 - May 9 with 2303 viewsLblock

Gutted. Genuinely gutted.

Every club needs heart, sole and fabric.

The heart's going -- with Clint.
The soul's going -- with Ale.
The fabric that's left is Mackie but surely he's got less of a claim than Ale after the season he's had with fitness!!!

I know players have to leave eventually but two charterers like this at the same time aint good.
Any replacements better sweat blue and white hoops from day one or JDH is liable to become a "Chelscum karnt" pretty quickly!!!

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Faurlin Leaving on 14:02 - May 9 with 2233 viewsToast_R

The right thing to do is support their decisions and hope they know their onions. These are the big calls they get paid handsomely to make.
Faurlin Leaving on 14:03 - May 9 with 2228 viewsterryb

My wish is that the club had announced this prior to Saturday so that Ale (and Clint) could have been given the send off that they deserved.

Thank you Ale. Watching you play for Rangers has been wonderful. If in London & available, please join us in the pub before a game!

If anyone knows of a way for us non facebook, twitter, instagram fellows to show Ale our gratitude please let me know.

Hopefully, this will prove a good decision for you Ale & that you continue to play for a few more years. You will be very welcome on any return to the Bush.

To anyone at the club, or someone who can convey a message to the club, if possible please arrange something to give us a chance to say goodbye.

ALE FAURLIN, a Queens Park Rangers legend!
Faurlin Leaving on 14:08 - May 9 with 2202 viewsVish

so who is our longest serving play now - Onuoha?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024