Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brentford Youth Academy 15:55 - May 13 with 4179 viewsdanehoop

Surely an opportunity for us?

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/shocked-parents-spea

Never knowingly understood

Brentford Youth Academy on 17:22 - May 13 with 4029 viewsTacticalR

'The Bees, under Matthew Benham's ownership, had made youth development a priority but have decided it is no longer worth the investment if category one clubs, such as Manchester City, can cherry pick young talent for nominal sums by football's standards.'

This is the fallout from Dyke's destruction of youth football in the interest of the elite clubs, at no expense to the elite clubs. People go on about corrupt foreigners, completely missing that the English authorities legalise theft, so that the elite don't even need to pay bribes!

Air hostess clique

Brentford Youth Academy on 20:00 - May 13 with 3870 viewsMrSheen

Brentford Youth Academy on 17:22 - May 13 by TacticalR

'The Bees, under Matthew Benham's ownership, had made youth development a priority but have decided it is no longer worth the investment if category one clubs, such as Manchester City, can cherry pick young talent for nominal sums by football's standards.'

This is the fallout from Dyke's destruction of youth football in the interest of the elite clubs, at no expense to the elite clubs. People go on about corrupt foreigners, completely missing that the English authorities legalise theft, so that the elite don't even need to pay bribes!

Odd. Do you want to reintroduce slavery, so small clubs can get a fair price for their property?
Brentford Youth Academy on 20:40 - May 13 with 3826 viewsBasingstokeR

The EPPP is a joke, I'm surprised more clubs haven't done similar already.
Brentford Youth Academy on 20:44 - May 13 with 3812 viewsHayesender

There's a young lad at my stepsons primary school. He's only 10 or 11 but he is absolute mustard for his age.

Anyway, he is on the books of QPR but Chelsea have been sniffing around for months.

Just this week, QPR have paid for this lad and his family to go on holiday, all expenses, just to keep them happy, and hopefully out of the clutches of Chelsea, or some other bigger club who decides they want him.

It's fcking wrong, but the fa have allowed this

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Brentford Youth Academy on 00:22 - May 14 with 3687 viewsBrianMcCarthy

When Atletico closed their academy Raúl walked out the door and straight oiver to Real Madrid.

I'm not saying that Raúl can be snapped up from Brentford, not at all. Besides, he's too old now that Redknapp's gone.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Brentford Youth Academy on 09:45 - May 14 with 3582 viewsderbyhoop

Brentford Youth Academy on 20:44 - May 13 by Hayesender

There's a young lad at my stepsons primary school. He's only 10 or 11 but he is absolute mustard for his age.

Anyway, he is on the books of QPR but Chelsea have been sniffing around for months.

Just this week, QPR have paid for this lad and his family to go on holiday, all expenses, just to keep them happy, and hopefully out of the clutches of Chelsea, or some other bigger club who decides they want him.

It's fcking wrong, but the fa have allowed this

The trouble is that if the kid is that good, the PL clubs will keep coming back until our resistance breaks. Remember Sterling had an agent at 14 who got 10% of the £750k initial transfer fee.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Brentford Youth Academy on 10:08 - May 14 with 3549 viewsPommyhoop

The good thing tho , is Leicester have proved that you don't have to have a team of superstars/wonder kids to do well at football.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Brentford Youth Academy on 10:22 - May 14 with 3517 viewsQPR_Jim

Brentford Youth Academy on 10:08 - May 14 by Pommyhoop

The good thing tho , is Leicester have proved that you don't have to have a team of superstars/wonder kids to do well at football.

The way I see it, the youth team doesn't need to produce stars, one or two every 5 - 10 years would be a bonus, it seems hard enough for us to bring through anyone let alone wonderkids. However i would expect the youth team to produce squad players that save the club the cost of running a large first team squad or dipping in for loans to add cover.

Unfortunately the new rules may make it hard to bring anyone through, the cost for large clubs to pick off talent is peanuts and they will probably Hoover up anyone half decent to avoid missing out.
Login to get fewer ads

Brentford Youth Academy on 14:24 - May 14 with 3360 viewsMatch82

Brentford Youth Academy on 10:22 - May 14 by QPR_Jim

The way I see it, the youth team doesn't need to produce stars, one or two every 5 - 10 years would be a bonus, it seems hard enough for us to bring through anyone let alone wonderkids. However i would expect the youth team to produce squad players that save the club the cost of running a large first team squad or dipping in for loans to add cover.

Unfortunately the new rules may make it hard to bring anyone through, the cost for large clubs to pick off talent is peanuts and they will probably Hoover up anyone half decent to avoid missing out.

The worst part of the system is that they can just take fliers on any player. I'm actually less annoyed with the ones like Sterling that make it, because he probably got better training from Liverpool than he would have done from us. And England have benefited (which after all is the point of the FA). But the likes of Bostock etc that just get hoovered up and never end up getting a game when they would have done in the lower leagues annoys me.

Thinking outside the box, but what if the system was flipped? Let's say spurs sign a 13 year old from say orient. If he never makes at least 10 appearances for spurs (Inc at least 1 start in league match) then they pay orient £1m. If he makes a few starts, they pay them nothing.
Brentford Youth Academy on 14:52 - May 14 with 3330 viewsQPR_Jim

Brentford Youth Academy on 14:24 - May 14 by Match82

The worst part of the system is that they can just take fliers on any player. I'm actually less annoyed with the ones like Sterling that make it, because he probably got better training from Liverpool than he would have done from us. And England have benefited (which after all is the point of the FA). But the likes of Bostock etc that just get hoovered up and never end up getting a game when they would have done in the lower leagues annoys me.

Thinking outside the box, but what if the system was flipped? Let's say spurs sign a 13 year old from say orient. If he never makes at least 10 appearances for spurs (Inc at least 1 start in league match) then they pay orient £1m. If he makes a few starts, they pay them nothing.

I agree in principle but I guess you'd just end up with them playing a few end of season games and league cup games in order to avoid the fee. I'd prefer it if they went the other way and increased the price to something similar to the Raheem Sterling deal. If he's a future star then pay the kind of price he'd be worth without the EPPP, if you're taking a punt it's going to be costly. Ultimately the likes of Sterling, as you say, will benefit from the academy and progression into the first team but really it's the second part of that, first team games, that will be of benefit. Just look at Alli, proof that academy's and youth teams are no substitute for matches.

At the moment the top of teams can buy potential cheap and only pay serious money if it turns into ability, similar to the deal we had with Faulin I guess but that's considered cheating.
Brentford Youth Academy on 09:53 - May 15 with 3101 viewsTGRRRSSS

Shame the reality is many many players and huge potential will never have a hope of realising it at any level as they simply won't have the places to go and learn.

The FA are therefore destroying the thing they are hoping will develope.

How come nobody looks at how things are done in Europe and beyond and try and take elements of it and apply here?
Brentford Youth Academy on 10:01 - May 15 with 3087 viewsdanehoop

Brentford Youth Academy on 09:53 - May 15 by TGRRRSSS

Shame the reality is many many players and huge potential will never have a hope of realising it at any level as they simply won't have the places to go and learn.

How come nobody looks at how things are done in Europe and beyond and try and take elements of it and apply here?

Because Europe is bad apparently.

Never knowingly understood

Brentford Youth Academy on 10:15 - May 15 with 3075 viewsDejR_vu

Brentford Youth Academy on 09:53 - May 15 by TGRRRSSS

Agree 100%

This is seriously bad news for English football generally. It's expensive to run an academy. If a club doesn't have Premier League income everything it does needs to be done from a business perspective. If it can't produce players of adequate quality for it's first team because it loses them to bigger clubs, and when it loses them is forced to accept peanuts, the academy loses money, the club closes it. So ultimately, the only academies remaining will be the Premier League clubs who can afford to indulge. They don't tend to use the players, preferring to buy a 'proven' overseas player, so the youth players drop out. Some will go to lower league clubs, but the Premier League clubs won't produce nearly enough to feed the lower league clubs. So the lower league clubs have to look elsewhere; either amateur league , in which case the standard of lower league football will drop, or abroad because the standard of player will be higher, in which case UK kids won't even get the chance.

Football in this country is run by idiots. They couldn't run a bath. The morons that run it and the leeches that broadcast it will utterly destroy it within 10 years.
[Post edited 15 May 2016 10:27]

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Brentford Youth Academy on 10:28 - May 15 with 3057 viewssuperhoopdownunder

We hae just released a dozen youngsters from our EDS
The only 3 we wanted to keep won't stay

The last time I looked we had around 160 - 170 people on the payroll including around 70 to 80 players and up to 30 to 40 people involved in coaching, first team and looking after the younger players
This is excessive

I suggest as we are trying to run the club to break even we need to focus on building a strong first team squad of around 25 players filled with quality, young talented skilful players who have great character
Like Brentford I would give up the youth side and buy players in from lower divisons including the Championship instead.
This would save us a lot of money - probably 50 less people on the payroll
We have only produced one player in 15 years (Sterling) and as such need to operate as efficiently as possible.

U R's
Brentford Youth Academy on 10:37 - May 15 with 3037 viewsQPR_Jim

Brentford Youth Academy on 10:28 - May 15 by superhoopdownunder

The last time I looked we had around 160 - 170 people on the payroll including around 70 to 80 players and up to 30 to 40 people involved in coaching, first team and looking after the younger players
This is excessive

I suggest as we are trying to run the club to break even we need to focus on building a strong first team squad of around 25 players filled with quality, young talented skilful players who have great character
Like Brentford I would give up the youth side and buy players in from lower divisons including the Championship instead.
We have only produced one player in 15 years (Sterling) and as such need to operate as efficiently as possible.

U R's

To be fair we also got good money for dean parrett, but I take your point. Brentford are well run generally and arent afraid of doing things their own way, so if they've weighed it up and decided academy's aren't worth running then they must have a strong case.
Brentford Youth Academy on 10:41 - May 15 with 3033 viewsDejR_vu

This is excessive

U R's

In 10 years' time the lower league players will be little better than non-league, because that's where they will be forced to find their players.

Talented boys need to be tested against other talented boys regularly. If the boys are spread out across fifty local teams they're not going to play each other very often, if at all, so won't develop quickly enough. They won't just turn into the finished article at 18 when they are big enough for men's football. So the standard of player will drop.

What's needed is heavy sanctions on clubs that poach other club's players over the age of 12. And I don't mean fines that will be meaningless to Premier League clubs. They need to be docked points, that would soon stop them doing it. But it will never happen all the time the Premier League exists.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Brentford Youth Academy on 13:18 - May 15 with 2952 viewsMatch82

This is excessive

U R's

Newcastle fans may disagree with this approach...
Brentford Youth Academy on 14:10 - May 15 with 2900 viewsderbyhoop

This is excessive

U R's

I thought the only 1 we wanted to keep was Mulraney. And I don't think we should lose too much sleep over the others who have been released. Frankie Sutherland was the best known but, IMO, I don't think he's developed much since he was 17. May make a L2 player but unlikely to be higher. I'm a little disappointed that Aaron Mitchell has gone and also note that Harly Wise and James Haran (2 CBs) have gone. Tom Matthews, the U18 captain had already signed for TNS in the Welsh league, so next years EDS side might be weak, defensively. As the U18s were conceding by the bucketful, I wouldn't hold out too many hopes of results at that level.

However, the plus is that Kpekawa, Petrasso and Furlong will, almost certainly, be an integral part of next season's first team squad.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Brentford Youth Academy on 14:24 - May 15 with 2886 viewsTGRRRSSS

EVentually football will have a decay and death unless it starts to reinvent itself I genuinely see no future in football if it is not interested in it's future and it's grassroots.

There are so many things and ideas around the world where people are developed, look at Rugby in New Zealand, Cricket (most sports really) in Australia, football in Holland, Germany, Brazil etc...

I can see the finacial arguments on the surface but somebody somewhere has to produce the most important thing for the "Brand the Products which is the players, without that you ain't got a brand product whatever.
Brentford Youth Academy on 12:33 - May 16 with 2716 viewsDesertBoot

I read an article prior to the last year's Rugby World Cup on the youth All Blacks players. They clean the first team squads boots, wash the baths and clean the changing rooms - they are told they haven't made it until the wear the famous shirt and represent their country at senior level.
Here you consider yourself to have made it when you're on crazy money at 18 and driving a fast car.

Wish I could be like David Watts

Brentford Youth Academy on 19:48 - May 16 with 2581 viewsTGRRRSSS

Not jsut youth from the top down - they have a "no dickheads" rule (what they actually call it).

He's retired now but from McCaw down everyone was expected to tidy changing rooms up after any test match
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024