Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Support acts better than the main acts. 13:37 - Jun 7 with 10888 viewsMonahoop

Another music post, so what it's summer and many LFW posters seem to love their music

Was there ever a concert or gig you went to where you thought the support act seemed to upstage the main act you paid good money to see? Mine was about 3 years ago at the O2 in Dublin when Clapton came to town. Andy Fairweather Low was his support act. He put life and soul into his sadly short 45 minute slot and I forgot what a good musician he was. His backing band were excellent. Then on plodded Eric, stood stutue like for an hour and a half plugging his old standards from Cream to recent stuff without any real feeling on his beloved strat, Blackie. Don't get me wrong, but I like Clapton at least most of his earlier offerings pre Lay Down Sally, but on the night I felt all he wanted to do was turn up then bugger off. There was no connection with his fans, just a cold performance. It was dull. Not good from one of the so called best guitarists alive.

Anyone else have an upstaging story?

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Support acts better than the main acts. on 13:41 - Jun 7 with 7048 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Lenny Kravitz Wembley stadium '99? 'Toxic Twin towers ball'

Absolutely smoked Aerosmith (who were good) but he was the daddy 90000 people singing 'let love rule' blinding.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Support acts better than the main acts. on 14:22 - Jun 7 with 7011 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Kasabian supporting Oasis in Atlanta 2005.

Bloke beside me had flown out from Leicester to see his home town band play several gigs stateside. Didn't wait for Burnage's finest.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Support acts better than the main acts. on 14:35 - Jun 7 with 6997 viewsDorse

Whoever supports Coldplay?

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Support acts better than the main acts. on 14:40 - Jun 7 with 6993 viewsqpr1976

Whilst I contemplate 'Better', I add a twist....

Howard Jones bottled off stage at an Undertones gig in Hemel Hempstead.
Don't recall if he was singing "Like to get to know you well, Like to get to know you better" at the time of his escape.
Support acts better than the main acts. on 14:46 - Jun 7 with 6981 viewssimmo

Support acts better than the main acts. on 14:22 - Jun 7 by PlanetHonneywood

Kasabian supporting Oasis in Atlanta 2005.

Bloke beside me had flown out from Leicester to see his home town band play several gigs stateside. Didn't wait for Burnage's finest.

Exactly what I was going to say, saw Oasis at Wembley a few years ago and Kasabian killed it. I'm not a huge fan of their albums but they are made for stadium gigs - quality stuff.

I was at the Toxic Towers ball too, Metallica, I think we spoke about it before. Kravitz was indeed great, so were Stereophonics.

As a side note I was at a stage at V Festival in 2001 to see Alabama 3 and saw the Avalanches set just before, they were incredible fun live.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Support acts better than the main acts. on 14:53 - Jun 7 with 6979 viewsSilverfoxqpr

Cardiacs supporting Marillion
Nirvana supporting Mudhoney
The Drones supporting Deerhoof
The Strokes supporting Rocket from the Crypt
REM supporting U2

Apologies lots of indie stuff, there's probably loads more, will have to rack my brains.
Support acts better than the main acts. on 15:16 - Jun 7 with 6958 viewsqpr1976

U2 supporting Stiff Little Fingers. They didn't have enough songs by then but you could tell the singer had aomething about him. I was Big into SLF at the time but I guess it was inevitable.....
Support acts better than the main acts. on 15:48 - Jun 7 with 6923 viewsizlingtonhoop

What's a support act?
[Post edited 7 Jun 2016 15:52]
Login to get fewer ads

Support acts better than the main acts. on 15:54 - Jun 7 with 6904 viewsA40Bosh

Support acts better than the main acts. on 15:48 - Jun 7 by izlingtonhoop

What's a support act?

Well my definition of it is slightly different.
A support band is a group of musicians who stand a third of the way back from the front of the stage whilst an egotistical maniac, swans around in front of them wailing, often out of tune, thinking that the entire world is there to see them and them alone. This person is more commonly known as the "singer" or "front man".

In between performances, the "singer" spends most of their time proving to everyone around him just what a self-centered cock they really are whilst at the same time still managing to get the most skirt.

Bitter of Ruislip

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Support acts better than the main acts. on 15:59 - Jun 7 with 6893 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Support acts better than the main acts. on 15:16 - Jun 7 by qpr1976

U2 supporting Stiff Little Fingers. They didn't have enough songs by then but you could tell the singer had aomething about him. I was Big into SLF at the time but I guess it was inevitable.....

Didn't U2 once play at the Dublin Castle in Camden before seven people?

Of course, the amount of people claiming to be among the seven, probably rivals the amount cabbies drinking in the Blind Begger the night Jack 'The Hat' McVite bought it and Chelsea fans present at the old Bolton ground when they stared into the abyss of relegation to the third tier!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Support acts better than the main acts. on 16:08 - Jun 7 with 6883 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Support acts better than the main acts. on 14:46 - Jun 7 by simmo

Exactly what I was going to say, saw Oasis at Wembley a few years ago and Kasabian killed it. I'm not a huge fan of their albums but they are made for stadium gigs - quality stuff.

I was at the Toxic Towers ball too, Metallica, I think we spoke about it before. Kravitz was indeed great, so were Stereophonics.

As a side note I was at a stage at V Festival in 2001 to see Alabama 3 and saw the Avalanches set just before, they were incredible fun live.

Yes we did! I'd forgotten about that.

Stereophonics were good that day it was before they went all 'handbags and gladrags'

3 colours red were ok. If they are still going I'd imagine they are playing pubs now.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Support acts better than the main acts. on 16:17 - Jun 7 with 6871 viewseccles

Support acts better than the main acts. on 15:48 - Jun 7 by izlingtonhoop

What's a support act?

Kevin Bond?
Support acts better than the main acts. on 16:25 - Jun 7 with 6861 viewsPeterHucker

talking of Stereophonics, saw Pixies play at Old Trafford Cricket Ground at a festival that the Stereophonics were headlining. After Pixies had to finish their gig, crowd started singing "F**k the Stereophonics"

also saw Pulp support someone, can't remember who, at Camden Underworld in early 90s. Only a dozen or so people there watching them but it was clear that the singer was a great frontman and they were going places.

Oasis at Knebworth supposedly one of the best gigs of all time, I remember Manic St Preachers and Prodigy being way better.

Similarly I was at Reading in 1992 for the legendary Nirvana performance that is also supposed to be one of the greatest gigs ever seen. Nirvana were alright but not as good as Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds who were on before them.

saw Elvis Costello supporting Bob Dylan at Brixton Academy. Just Elvis and his acoustic guitar but he still managed to get far more of a rapport with the crowd than Dylan did.

my mum saw the Rolling Stones on a 1964 package tour in Southend, she says the Stones were alright but The Swinging Blue Jeans were much better.
Support acts better than the main acts. on 16:44 - Jun 7 with 6835 viewsSimonJames

Went to see Big Country at Wembley Arena (13 December 1984) unaware that The Cult were supporting them.
Since I had been a huge fan of Ian Astbury from when I first saw Southern Death Cult support Bauhaus, I was absolutely ecstatic when they came on.

Also, I never saw it since I was only 3 at the time, but I imagine for biggest upstagings ever, Jimi Hendrix supporting The Monkees in 1967 takes some beating.

100% of people who drink water will die.

Support acts better than the main acts. on 16:51 - Jun 7 with 6817 viewsRamseyR

A few years back(2004/2005) ..had tickets to see Arctic Monkeys who were the support act on the NME tour at Cambridge Corn Exchange.Between buying the tickets and the day of the gig the AM went from being relatively unknown, to a week before the gig releasing "Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor" and going stratospheric.
I've been to some gigs over the years but I've never known an atmosphere of expectation like it or tout activity like it. Everyone wanted to see AM

Maximo Park were the headliners and a lot of people had gone by the time they came on as they only turned up for AM, but Maximo Park blew them away...Not quite what the spirit of the thread meant but in the same vain.
Support acts better than the main acts. on 16:55 - Jun 7 with 6805 viewsizlingtonhoop

Support acts better than the main acts. on 15:54 - Jun 7 by A40Bosh

A support band is a group of musicians who stand a third of the way back from the front of the stage whilst an egotistical maniac, swans around in front of them wailing, often out of tune, thinking that the entire world is there to see them and them alone. This person is more commonly known as the "singer" or "front man".

In between performances, the "singer" spends most of their time proving to everyone around him just what a self-centered cock they really are whilst at the same time still managing to get the most skirt.

Bitter of Ruislip

My definition is pub...
Support acts better than the main acts. on 17:01 - Jun 7 with 6797 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I saw Ash support The Darkness at Newcastle around ten years ago. Mostly took the piss out of them in between sets. Most of the crowd fvcked off when Justin Hawkins floated down on a plastic Zebra.
Support acts better than the main acts. on 17:14 - Jun 7 with 6788 viewsTheBlob

Support acts better than the main acts. on 15:54 - Jun 7 by A40Bosh

Bitter of Ruislip

You've met Bono then.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Support acts better than the main acts. on 17:30 - Jun 7 with 6761 viewsbaz_qpr

I saw Pulp as 3rd support to Lush at the New Cross Venue in 1992 they were quite decent
Support acts better than the main acts. on 17:38 - Jun 7 with 6757 viewsDWQPR

Big Country supporting The Jam on their farewell tour at Wembley in 1982. Blew The Jam right away. Also in recent times went to the Olympic closing ceremony concert at Hyde Park where Blur were headlining. They were shît but The Specials showed that class lasts.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Support acts better than the main acts. on 18:00 - Jun 7 with 6736 viewsBklynRanger

One that sticks out is when Bon Jovi played the Kings Hall in Belfast in about 1988. Dan Reed Network were the support and were far better I thought. It didn't help that The Jovi let off indoor fireworks at the end, th at stung the eyes of everybody near the front. Still, at least they came despite the 'troubles'.

I can remember certain support acts over tbe main act - Micah P Hinson might have been better than the headliner because I can't remember who it was. I saw Feist open for somebody near the very start of her career and she was fcuking dreadful - tuneless, fiddly vvank.
[Post edited 7 Jun 2016 18:01]
Support acts better than the main acts. on 18:16 - Jun 7 with 6704 viewsqpr1976

Support acts better than the main acts. on 15:59 - Jun 7 by PlanetHonneywood

Didn't U2 once play at the Dublin Castle in Camden before seven people?

Of course, the amount of people claiming to be among the seven, probably rivals the amount cabbies drinking in the Blind Begger the night Jack 'The Hat' McVite bought it and Chelsea fans present at the old Bolton ground when they stared into the abyss of relegation to the third tier!

Thanks for jogging my memory.

1976 Sex Pistols locally to me in Dunstable Queensway Hall (SPOTS tour). Less than 25 there, mostly entourage, but over the years, I've heard at least 100 people say they were there. If they had been, they might have seen the Support band who blew the Pistols offstage - The Jam
Support acts better than the main acts. on 19:04 - Jun 7 with 6652 viewsMrSheen

Support acts better than the main acts. on 17:38 - Jun 7 by DWQPR

Big Country supporting The Jam on their farewell tour at Wembley in 1982. Blew The Jam right away. Also in recent times went to the Olympic closing ceremony concert at Hyde Park where Blur were headlining. They were shît but The Specials showed that class lasts.

I saw Big Country make mincemeat of Theatre of Hate, I think it was their first London appearance. I also saw the Specials third on the bill to the Gang of Four, the most entertaining thing I ever saw.

How about another category? "Support bands you thought were terrible that made it big". For me, the Human League and Simple Minds.
Support acts better than the main acts. on 19:13 - Jun 7 with 6644 viewsHarbour

Thin Lizzy 1974 The Rainbow blew ELO out of the water...Phil Lynot in his pomp
Support acts better than the main acts. on 19:26 - Jun 7 with 6629 viewshook_hoops

Support acts better than the main acts. on 19:13 - Jun 7 by Harbour

Thin Lizzy 1974 The Rainbow blew ELO out of the water...Phil Lynot in his pomp

I remember seeing Thin Lizzy at the Greyhound in Fulham Palace Road around 1972. They opened their set with the Dr Who theme music - absolutely brilliant.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024