Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
40 years old. 12:30 - Jun 30 with 4702 viewsMonahoop

Punk is 40 years old this year.

BBC 4 are re showing Punk Britannia tomorrow night at 9pm.

I know some musos on here like punk/new wave stuff. Any stories of growing up with the music then and about or preferences of bands, whether mainstream or local.

I like a wide range of music genres and punk has stayed with me, well some of it. I got into listening to it via John Peel or through being into pre punk instigators, Dr Feelgood and Eddie and the Hot Rods. I liked The Stranglers, The Damned, Ian Dury and punk poet John Cooper Clarke. Locally I tapped into the vibrant Brighton punk scene in the late 70's. Great bands to be had there including, The Piranhas, The Parrots, The Golinski Brothers and my favourites, Nicky and the Dots.

I wouldn't have considered myself a punk per se, I just liked the music and its quirky scene. I didn't care too much for politically motivated bands especially the ultra right or left ones, or the Pistols for that matter. Always thought Lydon a bit of a fake character and still do.

Anyone else?

There aint half been some clever bastards.

40 years old. on 12:32 - Jun 30 with 3791 viewsrunningman75

There is a great little exhibition at the British Library near St Pancras about Punk. There was a poster of rock against racism. We need a movement like that now.
40 years old. on 14:05 - Jun 30 with 3735 viewsheadhoops

thanks for the tip off Monahoop - Punk remains my favourite musical genre after meeting two geezers in the pub one evening. Big black feller Norman Watt-Roy from the Blockheads and 'Topper' Headen from the Clash, invited me to a Clash gig and I never looked back.

Locally we had the Members, the UK Subs and the Lurkers who were mental. Anyone go to one of their gigs, riots? Then of course Sham 69. Gold old jimmy Pursey. Started off singing Bay City Rollers covers at the Walton Hop.

Also liked Siouxsie and Stiff Little Fingers. Went to the fairly recent Buzzcocks back to front gigs - where do all these punk haircuts - mohicans hide during the day?

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

40 years old. on 14:12 - Jun 30 with 3725 viewsjohncharles

Thanks for that Monahoop. I will definitely record it. I'll watching a football on Friday evening.
No one's mentioned Elvis Costello.

Strong and stable my arse.

40 years old. on 14:40 - Jun 30 with 3708 viewsSimonJames

Hüsker Dü, The Ruts and The Clash would be my favourites.

After that there were many excellent bands: Ramones, New York Dolls, The Adicts, Crass, U.K. Subs, Buzzcocks, SLF, Black Flag, The Damned, Dead Kennedys, and the Sex Pistols.
(I never got to see the Dolls or the Pistols live )

100% of people who drink water will die.

40 years old. on 15:12 - Jun 30 with 3695 viewsBoston

I had a passing interest.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

40 years old. on 15:22 - Jun 30 with 3687 viewsqpr1976

Still love The Clash, sadly was a fraction too young to see them live.
Saw The Damned at their 40th at the RAH recently. And going to see Costello next Wednesday at the Roundhouse. I might pop in the Library on the way beforehand. Thanks for that heads up. Although I doubt he would consider himself as punk, he like Joe Ja kson & Paul Weller with The Jam just happened to be successful around the same time.
Ian Dury was an inspiration to many including Mssr Rotten. But I've never heard Norman Watt-Roy described as big or black before ? Doubt he has either. Loved Buzzcocks, Stranglers, SLF & Undertones and more hardcore bands like Crass & Dead Kennedys.
Loads of bands have much to thank the late 70's for inspiration -
Madness, Specials, Smiths, Stone Roses, Oasis, Blur, Libertines.

From a ross the pond, Ramones had a great 1st album but for me, I prefer Talking Heads and Rancid
40 years old. on 16:51 - Jun 30 with 3654 viewsMonahoop

40 years old. on 14:12 - Jun 30 by johncharles

Thanks for that Monahoop. I will definitely record it. I'll watching a football on Friday evening.
No one's mentioned Elvis Costello.

Early Elvis Costello stuff was good, but I never considered him punk, just one of a number of new sounding bands/musicians that rode with and suited the time. This Years Model was a cracker of an album from the Attractions.
I saw The Clash in Crawley when they started out [ my second gig ] I thought they were rubbish and they only lasted three numbers on the stage before being bottled off by skinheads. For a long while I just didn't get them, but now I can dig their stuff and appreciate that they were one of the more creative and serious bands from that period.
John Ottway and Wild Willy Barrett were always worth a look in. A good mixture of punks and hippies would turn up united in eccentric music.
Of todays crop of punks and eccentrics I like Billy Childish, the Bard of Chatham and his various projects.

40 years old. on 17:07 - Jun 30 with 3643 viewsloftboy

I still.remember watching the punks at windsor charging £5 a time for the Japanese tourists to take their photos, kept them in glue for months.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Login to get fewer ads

40 years old. on 00:33 - Jul 1 with 3570 viewsBluce_Ree

When it's that three chord punk with the band members staring ahead and chewing like they are on speed, it's all a bit insincere for me. The years after punk where the bands started experimenting, that felt more genuine. Post punk is best.

Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore running down the wing. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore running down the wing. He runs like a cheetah. His crosses couldn't be sweeter. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore.

40 years old. on 01:01 - Jul 1 with 3560 viewskensalriser

40 years old. on 15:12 - Jun 30 by Boston

I had a passing interest.

You are much too modest.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

40 years old. on 02:04 - Jul 1 with 3553 viewsSonofNorfolt

At the time it did nothing for me but retrospectively I now enjoy much of it.

I still think that the Manic Street Preachers album 'The Holy Bible' is one the most punk albums ever released, showing vitriol and anger that Lydon would have been proud of.
40 years old. on 06:34 - Jul 1 with 3537 viewstimcocking

Too young but i've always loved punk music. Never mind the bollox still as good as any album ever will be.

More contemporary bands like Peter and the Test Tube Babies, they were/are a brighton band - absolutely first class. So many great songs.

John Lydon a fake? Huh? No chance mate. Bloody hell, being true not fake is everything he's about. One of the reasons i think the Sex Pistols were so amazing was they lucked out and found John Lydon, who is a man apart and a true visionary. I shouldn't think there would be more than a handful of humans who'd have been a better Johnny Rotten. He's from the same world as people like Jim Morrison (and me of course), not cut from the same cloth as "normal people". Nobody will ever tell John Lydon what to think or say about anything and he'll never do anything to try and impress the public. Such an irony to accuse John Lydon of being fake, probably the most genuine man in the music industry. These are the people who don't sell out.

John Lydon - the man the legend.

And of course Rat Scabies (or was it captain sensible?) from the Damned, Mick Jones Clash, was it Paul Cook Pistols all Rangers fans.
[Post edited 1 Jul 2016 6:47]
40 years old. on 06:54 - Jul 1 with 3523 viewsLadbrokeR

40 years old. on 06:34 - Jul 1 by timcocking

Too young but i've always loved punk music. Never mind the bollox still as good as any album ever will be.

More contemporary bands like Peter and the Test Tube Babies, they were/are a brighton band - absolutely first class. So many great songs.

John Lydon a fake? Huh? No chance mate. Bloody hell, being true not fake is everything he's about. One of the reasons i think the Sex Pistols were so amazing was they lucked out and found John Lydon, who is a man apart and a true visionary. I shouldn't think there would be more than a handful of humans who'd have been a better Johnny Rotten. He's from the same world as people like Jim Morrison (and me of course), not cut from the same cloth as "normal people". Nobody will ever tell John Lydon what to think or say about anything and he'll never do anything to try and impress the public. Such an irony to accuse John Lydon of being fake, probably the most genuine man in the music industry. These are the people who don't sell out.

And of course Rat Scabies (or was it captain sensible?) from the Damned, Mick Jones Clash, was it Paul Cook Pistols all Rangers fans.

I was only ever into the clash at the time. Train in vain, White man at the Palais probably my favourites.
40 years old. on 07:02 - Jul 1 with 3521 viewsizlingtonhoop

40 years old. on 14:05 - Jun 30 by headhoops

thanks for the tip off Monahoop - Punk remains my favourite musical genre after meeting two geezers in the pub one evening. Big black feller Norman Watt-Roy from the Blockheads and 'Topper' Headen from the Clash, invited me to a Clash gig and I never looked back.

Locally we had the Members, the UK Subs and the Lurkers who were mental. Anyone go to one of their gigs, riots? Then of course Sham 69. Gold old jimmy Pursey. Started off singing Bay City Rollers covers at the Walton Hop.

Also liked Siouxsie and Stiff Little Fingers. Went to the fairly recent Buzzcocks back to front gigs - where do all these punk haircuts - mohicans hide during the day?

Norman Watt Roy's black!?
40 years old. on 07:49 - Jul 1 with 3495 viewsMoonshineSteve

He never used to be.

I am still Steve but no longer in Dagenham.

40 years old. on 08:36 - Jul 1 with 3486 viewsMrSheen

If can remember what colour people were, you weren't there.
40 years old. on 08:46 - Jul 1 with 3477 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I was born in 1970 and by the time '76 came along we'd moved to Ireland, so I missed what it was about. But I still liked the music. Me and a few lads in school spent our pocket money on the music papers and the records and then argued for ages about who was punk (The Clash were) and who wasn't (Boomtown Rats weren't). We really hadn't a clue, bless us.

I came out of it with a lot of great singles but probably only The Clash, The Ramones and Television as lifelong friends.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

40 years old. on 08:46 - Jul 1 with 3477 viewsMonahoop

40 years old. on 07:02 - Jul 1 by izlingtonhoop

Norman Watt Roy's black!?

He's from India originally.

40 years old. on 08:58 - Jul 1 with 3467 viewsElHoop

Yeah that was my era - I was 17/18 when it all kicked off and it did kick off big time.

I think that people tend to confuse 'new wave' with 'punk'. Punk was really just a branch of the new wave - there was also 2 tone and mod and 'new' pop music which would have happened anyway as well. Who fitted into what category is quite difficult to agree upon. The Clash started off as punk, but by the time that I saw them (16 Tons tour after London Calling came out) they weren't a punk band any more. I would say that the Pistols were punk because they only made one album and never moved on from that. The Jam weren't punk. The Damned were punk . The Ramones were punk I would say. I don't know that I ever saw a 'full on' punk band. Most of what i saw was 'new wave'. I saw loads of bands - Clash, Jam, Blondie, Elvis Costello, The Police, The Beat, The Undertones, Squeeze etc - none of these were punk bands at the end of the day but they came through under the new wave umbrella. There was so much going on that it was hard to get to see everyone that you liked. I would have loved to have seen the Ramones. I missed the Pistols at Middx poly because it sounded like being a riot. A mate of mine went and he's the only person I know who saw the Pistols Clash and Jam live.
40 years old. on 09:13 - Jul 1 with 3458 viewsMonahoop

40 years old. on 06:34 - Jul 1 by timcocking

Tim, your views on Lydon are obviously opposite to mine, but I respect that. It's just what I think about him and surprisingly quite a few other ex punks do as well. Certainly under McClaren's influence, he helped to elevate the genre into the mainstream something I feel he was at odds with but couldn't control.

Good that you mention Peter and The Test Tube Babies one of Brighton's premier punk bands. I saw them on what must have been a bad night for them in the famed, now sadly gone Alhambra pub on Brighton's sea front. They were absolute shite, but oddly I still quite like them. If you are interested in the Brighton scene check out the website www.punkbrighton.co.uk. It's stirred up some great memories for me all those years ago in my 'yoof'.

40 years old. on 09:17 - Jul 1 with 3446 viewsizlingtonhoop

40 years old. on 08:46 - Jul 1 by Monahoop

He's from India originally.

So are Cliff Richard and Spike Milligan.
40 years old. on 09:41 - Jul 1 with 3432 viewsqpr1976

"And of course Rat Scabies (or was it captain sensible?) from the Damned, Mick Jones Clash, was it Paul Cook Pistols all Rangers fans."

Jonesy certainly is.
Sensible is Palace but lives in Brighton now ironically. No idea about Scabies. I heard it before but don't it's true.
Matlock is the QPR Pistol, not Cooky, although he lives in West London. His daughter, Hollie, can hold a tune too.
Robert Smith of The Cure is also a fan but doesn't go to many games anymore.
40 years old. on 09:50 - Jul 1 with 3423 viewsSimonJames

Where's my manners! I forgot to mention those great ladies of punk: Poly Styrene (RIP) and Siouxsie Sioux.

100% of people who drink water will die.

40 years old. on 11:09 - Jul 1 with 3387 viewsisawqpratwcity

Hope I die before I get old.

Ah, fckit.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

40 years old. on 11:21 - Jul 1 with 3377 viewsFredManRave

40 years old. on 09:17 - Jul 1 by izlingtonhoop

So are Cliff Richard and Spike Milligan.

Interesting fact; If Spike Milligan and Cliff Richard had been a celebrity Hollywood couple they would have been known as "Spliff".

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024