Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Non-QPR Bike tyre advice 14:14 - Jul 5 with 2175 views1MoreBrightonR

A few people on here recommended getting Schwalbe marathon tyres if you want to avoid punctures. I've got a 19inch Ridgeback Velocity Frame...How do i know what size tyres i can/should buy?

They seem a lot cheaper online than instore but i want to be sure im buying the right thing.
Non-QPR Bike tyre advice on 14:21 - Jul 5 with 2166 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I have them but I was in t'bike shop at the time.

I'm sure some of the more serious cyclists will be able to help.

Schwalbe Marathon rule. Two sets, two bikes, many miles NO punctures.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Non-QPR Bike tyre advice on 14:28 - Jul 5 with 2155 viewsBoston

I'd love to help, but over here we only have tires.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Non-QPR Bike tyre advice on 16:28 - Jul 5 with 2110 viewshovehoop

This is relatively easy. You can get the information you need from the side wall of your current tyres. If you look closely the tyre will have subtle markings, sometimes raised above the side wall surface. This may say for example 26 x 1.9 , meaning you need a 26 inch diameter tyre and in this case 1.9 is a reference to the width. Alternatively, it may say 700c x something or other. This means the tyre is the standard diameter of a wheel used on road race bikes and sometimes this is alternatively described as a 29 inch tyre.

You need to be careful on the tyre width though. Because if you buy a tyre that is much wider/fatter than the existing tyre, then it may not fit the wheel rim and it also may rub on the frame. Once you've got this information have a look online at Wiggle say for some options.
Non-QPR Bike tyre advice on 11:42 - Jul 6 with 2041 views1MoreBrightonR

Thanks. What are the advantages of getting a wider tyre? or Tire for boston :)
Non-QPR Bike tyre advice on 13:10 - Jul 6 with 2018 viewswestolian

Chain Reaction and wiggle are good sites

You should change your frame to a MTB and get the Swalbe Nobby Nics 😉

I've found a team sheet for the weekend - anyone interested ?

Non-QPR Bike tyre advice on 13:32 - Jul 6 with 1999 viewsjohann28

Schwalbe Marathon are great when it comes to wear and tear - very durable, as are the Schwalbe Durano S and Continental's GP4000S, but the Michelin Pro4s would be my choice for an all-round racing tyre. They are great to ride and their lower price gave them the edge.
Non-QPR Bike tyre advice on 15:06 - Jul 6 with 1984 viewshovehoop

Non-QPR Bike tyre advice on 11:42 - Jul 6 by 1MoreBrightonR

Thanks. What are the advantages of getting a wider tyre? or Tire for boston :)

Advantages of wider tyres? Depends if you maintain the same tyre profile really. I went from 23mm at 100psi on an aluminium frame to 28mm Schwalbe slicks on a carbon road frame with discs. The difference was night and day giving noticeably more comfort from road buzz and more tyre contact with the ground so I can brake later and more aggressively (unless riding in a group). Tho if you change the tyre profile from slicks to knobblies then you'll slow down and get more road hum on tarmac. Knobblies really only worthwhile if you envisage riding mostly on trails. I've got knobblies on my mountain bike which I use on the South Downs Way. On that bike I deliberately stick to trails.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024