Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Somme 22:27 - Jul 18 with 1536 viewsjohncharles

Just watched the first part on the tele tonight. SoberIng to say the least. What comes across strongly is how confident the generals were, Haig especially, that their plans, their bombardments, would render the enemy defenceless. No such thing, it was all bollox but then it's easy to be confident when you're not the one going over the top.
How confident our leaders were when they took us into Iraq and all the other wars before and after. No one seemed to know the Argies had an Exocet.
And now everyone is so confident that we can attack and destroy Isis and the Jihadists even though we don't really know who they are or where they are but hey, let's rattle some Sabres and go crashing into somewhere and make more enemies.

Strong and stable my arse.

The Somme on 08:35 - Jul 19 with 1439 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Always gets me.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

The Somme on 08:47 - Jul 19 with 1421 viewsToast_R

WW1 was slightly different as it was a new kind of warfare. All the British officers had years of experience working against them, not much intel and fckall regard for the lives of their men. Losing a few thousand soldiers to fein a push was acceptable.

Your right in that not much has changed since. The Tommy will always be putting his neck on the line ill prepared, under equipped and led by a donkey.

A bloke my dad worked with years ago who fought in Korea, used to tell him how their Yank counterparts couldn't believe the gear the British had...or didnt have.
They used to give a lot of their stuff to the British, winter coats in particular.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024