Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Travel Advice: Bologna or Copenhagen 11:59 - Jul 26 with 2926 views1MoreBrightonR

Any thoughts? There are very cheap flights to both in October/November and me and the lady are thinking of doing 2/3 nights in either but unsure which. We are both quite in to food and have liked Italy when we have been but have heard great things about Copenhagen.

We have both travelled a lot and done most the big Eastern European/Baltic cities and most the other major weekend break destinations already so are trying somewhere different.
Travel Advice: Bologna or Copenhagen on 12:28 - Jul 26 with 2905 viewshopphoops

October is normally very good weather in Italy. And you will eat well. And Venice or Florence only an hour away.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Travel Advice: Bologna or Copenhagen on 12:56 - Jul 26 with 2882 viewsCroydonCaptJack

I've been to Bologna a couple of times on business. It's very nice. A little known fact is that it is the oldest university city in the world.
Travel Advice: Bologna or Copenhagen on 14:15 - Jul 26 with 2833 viewsKonk

I love Copenhagen, but I would have thought there was a fair chance of rain at that time of the year. As with anywhere, it's a much nicer place to visit when you can just mooch about and hang out in the parks or outside bars/cafes.

Soooooooooo, I would go with Bologna. weather should be better, beautiful city, great food and drink, relatively few tourists, porticoes everywhere to keep you dry-ish if it rains, and if you fancy a change of scenery, Parma or Modena are just down the road and easy to reach by train.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Travel Advice: Bologna or Copenhagen on 14:28 - Jul 26 with 2811 viewsSonofNorfolt

Copenhagen is great but pricey, summer is the best time to go.
Bologna is very central for travelling purposes. Hence watching football regularilly in Italy it's a good base. Lost count the number of times I've eaten inconveniently at the McD's outside Bologna Centrale station. Forget Venice and Florence there's loads of other places you could visit within the Emilia Romagna region.
Travel Advice: Bologna or Copenhagen on 16:33 - Jul 26 with 2748 views1MoreBrightonR

Bologna it is...we were thinking copenhagen would be better in summer. and i forgot that both options may have a game on...may keep that one quiet from the lady for a bit ha ha
Travel Advice: Bologna or Copenhagen on 09:01 - Jul 27 with 2632 viewsdanehoop

Having lived in Copenhagen for about a quarter of my working life, I'd agree that it is best to visit in summer to get the best of it, including the tivoli gardens in the centre of town. That is when the outside cafe culture is at its best and you can do the canal tours etc.

It can be quite magical around Christmas as well, particularly if there is a bit of snow around (surpringly not so common in Copenhagen). Quite often it's just cold and clear, but much shorter days - sunrise around 9 and set around 1630. Again tivoli opens up for its traditional Danish (generic north European) Christmas market which is really good for an evening.

October, sort of between seasons, tends to shift towards wet and grey around then.

It is expensive, but basically very safe, locals are friendly, English is pretty much universally understood (30% or more of to tends to be English language with subtitles). City is relative small, very accessible thanks to excellent public transport links and generally very picturesque. Given the option I'd do in the summer.

The central tourist office opposite tivoli gardens is a good starting point for any visit, otherwise these websites have always been really useful:

http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/search/whatson

http://cph-tourist.dk/whats-on

Never knowingly understood

Travel Advice: Bologna or Copenhagen on 10:07 - Jul 27 with 2610 views1MoreBrightonR

all booked to Bologna. Annoyingly the gdf eas too tired to look at dates last night, the sale ended and now the only cheap date clashes with one of our home games but i've warned her that we will now be going to an italian game if we can as retribution .

Thanks everyone.
[Post edited 27 Jul 2016 10:07]
Travel Advice: Bologna or Copenhagen on 10:17 - Jul 27 with 2597 viewsBrightonhoop

Travel Advice: Bologna or Copenhagen on 14:28 - Jul 26 by SonofNorfolt

Copenhagen is great but pricey, summer is the best time to go.
Bologna is very central for travelling purposes. Hence watching football regularilly in Italy it's a good base. Lost count the number of times I've eaten inconveniently at the McD's outside Bologna Centrale station. Forget Venice and Florence there's loads of other places you could visit within the Emilia Romagna region.

Interesting, have visited Venice ones and converted the waiter to QPR having told him about Briatore takeover and left him my keyring, told to go do some research and follow the R's.
Florence I've visited several times, always enjoy it but a bit touristy in parts, but generally like it.
Where else nearby do you recommend?
Login to get fewer ads

Travel Advice: Bologna or Copenhagen on 10:31 - Jul 27 with 2582 viewshopphoops

Travel Advice: Bologna or Copenhagen on 10:17 - Jul 27 by Brightonhoop

Interesting, have visited Venice ones and converted the waiter to QPR having told him about Briatore takeover and left him my keyring, told to go do some research and follow the R's.
Florence I've visited several times, always enjoy it but a bit touristy in parts, but generally like it.
Where else nearby do you recommend?

Parma and Modena are nice enough. Ferrara is meant to be pretty. If Bologna aren't playing at home you could see Sassuolo, who play in Modena.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.

Travel Advice: Bologna or Copenhagen on 10:36 - Jul 27 with 2577 viewsBrightonhoop

Travel Advice: Bologna or Copenhagen on 10:31 - Jul 27 by hopphoops

Parma and Modena are nice enough. Ferrara is meant to be pretty. If Bologna aren't playing at home you could see Sassuolo, who play in Modena.

Cheers Hopp.
Travel Advice: Bologna or Copenhagen on 11:21 - Jul 27 with 2558 viewshopphoops

Travel Advice: Bologna or Copenhagen on 10:36 - Jul 27 by Brightonhoop

Cheers Hopp.

Prego!

Travel Advice: Bologna or Copenhagen on 14:53 - Jul 27 with 2529 viewsSonofNorfolt

Get two games in.
Serie B on the Saturday, and A on Sunday.
The mighty Cesena should be your first choice, an easy train from Bologna.
Sassuolo no longer share with Modena, they share with Reggiana at Reggio Emilia.
The coast should be nice in October, not Rimini.
Ravenna is beautiful.
Travel Advice: Bologna or Copenhagen on 15:24 - Jul 27 with 2507 viewsBrightonhoop

Agreed, Rimini is Italy's answer to Barry Island in south Wales....grim.
Travel Advice: Bologna or Copenhagen on 12:24 - Aug 2 with 2394 viewsCopenranger

On holiday so didn't see this until now.
Let me know, if you need tips for Cph later on - agree it's a better choive during May - August.
Happy holidays :)
Travel Advice: Bologna or Copenhagen on 13:41 - Aug 2 with 2349 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Travel Advice: Bologna or Copenhagen on 15:24 - Jul 27 by Brightonhoop

Agreed, Rimini is Italy's answer to Barry Island in south Wales....grim.

Yes, Rimini is their Blackpool.

I have just returned from Sorrento which was lovely.
Took my two teenage boys with us which was fine as there is Pompeii, Vesuvius etc to go with the relaxing bit.
[Post edited 2 Aug 2016 13:58]
Travel Advice: Bologna or Copenhagen on 13:50 - Aug 2 with 2343 views1MoreBrightonR

Travel Advice: Bologna or Copenhagen on 14:53 - Jul 27 by SonofNorfolt

Get two games in.
Serie B on the Saturday, and A on Sunday.
The mighty Cesena should be your first choice, an easy train from Bologna.
Sassuolo no longer share with Modena, they share with Reggiana at Reggio Emilia.
The coast should be nice in October, not Rimini.
Ravenna is beautiful.

only there a couple days but if we were to go to the coast for a day or afternoon, where would you recommend then?
Travel Advice: Bologna or Copenhagen on 14:01 - Aug 2 with 2325 viewsTheChef

Ferrara is close to Bologna and a lovely place to visit too. May have been mentioned already, but it's not too far on the train to Padua, Treviso, Verona and Vicenza if you want to avoid the tourist hordes in Venice.

To be honest nearly all the towns in Italy have so much history/art/architecture to appreciate (besides the food, drink and well dressed locals), you can't go too far wrong.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Travel Advice: Bologna or Copenhagen on 03:18 - Aug 3 with 2223 viewsSonofNorfolt

Travel Advice: Bologna or Copenhagen on 13:50 - Aug 2 by 1MoreBrightonR

only there a couple days but if we were to go to the coast for a day or afternoon, where would you recommend then?

Two days isn't very long. Bologna is fine without being, by Italian standards, very aesthetic. The coast is an hour or so away so unless the weather is boiling there are many other attractions to keep you occupied. San Marino just to tick it off, is a bus ride from Rimini. Mussolini's home town curiousities at Predappio, a bus from Forli, Ravenna an unknown gem. Cesena, have a Loftus Rd alike stadium, if you go to watch a game take your passport or proper ID for ticketing purposes.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024