Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Scottish Indy Ref 2 18:13 - Oct 13 with 8659 viewsQuakerJack

Go on Scotland!!! Smash that horrible union to pieces once and for all!!!!

Poll: Some scummer on the anus board reckons 80% of us want them to go down. so... do

Scottish Indy Ref 2 on 22:05 - Oct 13 with 1735 viewsblueytheblue

Scottish Indy Ref 2 on 22:01 - Oct 13 by sherpajacob

Oh it's complicated now.

Your previous statement.

"leave without being able to use the pound. "

Sounded simple and unequivocal.

BoE could refuse to regulate it's use in Scotland. Is that possible - yes/no? HM Treasury powers would need to be amended given need to be ratified by Parliament. How would that issue be resolved?

GBP is used in Britain and British overseas territories only. There's a reason for that.

Poll: Alternate POTY final

Scottish Indy Ref 2 on 22:06 - Oct 13 with 1734 viewsblueytheblue

And anyway, since I';m probably wrong as usual, backing out now. Thailand vs Kenya in Kabaddi world cup is on...

Poll: Alternate POTY final

Scottish Indy Ref 2 on 22:30 - Oct 13 with 1714 viewssherpajacob

Scottish Indy Ref 2 on 22:05 - Oct 13 by blueytheblue

BoE could refuse to regulate it's use in Scotland. Is that possible - yes/no? HM Treasury powers would need to be amended given need to be ratified by Parliament. How would that issue be resolved?

GBP is used in Britain and British overseas territories only. There's a reason for that.

BoE would have no jurisdiction in Scotland, so would be powerless to stop the Scots using £

Even if English govt and treasury said we don't want you using the £ , they can't stop them.

Non GB countries using currency substitution use either $ or € out of choice.

Montenegro uses the euro without EU approval or ratification.

Yes it would mean fiscal control lies in London in the short term, would that be much different to control being in Frankfurt.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Scottish Indy Ref 2 on 22:52 - Oct 13 with 1690 viewsJack_Meoff

Scottish Indy Ref 2 on 22:30 - Oct 13 by sherpajacob

BoE would have no jurisdiction in Scotland, so would be powerless to stop the Scots using £

Even if English govt and treasury said we don't want you using the £ , they can't stop them.

Non GB countries using currency substitution use either $ or € out of choice.

Montenegro uses the euro without EU approval or ratification.

Yes it would mean fiscal control lies in London in the short term, would that be much different to control being in Frankfurt.

If Scotland becomes a true sovereign nation, what's stopping it producing its own, debt-free currency? Sovereign nations can do just that. Just wondering.

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.

Scottish Indy Ref 2 on 23:03 - Oct 13 with 1685 viewslondonlisa2001

Scottish Indy Ref 2 on 22:52 - Oct 13 by Jack_Meoff

If Scotland becomes a true sovereign nation, what's stopping it producing its own, debt-free currency? Sovereign nations can do just that. Just wondering.

They will have to take on their share of the inherited UK debt position to start with.

On a different note (and not in reply to your post) I am struggling slightly to understand why a non binding vote for Brexit has to be followed through and yet a binding vote for Scotland to remain in the Union can be rerun two years or so after the event because the minority didn't like the result?
Scottish Indy Ref 2 on 23:13 - Oct 13 with 1681 viewsMorfa_Same

Go for it Scotland.

After the gloom of Brexit the only positive is the prospect of the union finally breaking up. Please let this happen.
Scottish Indy Ref 2 on 23:15 - Oct 13 with 1680 viewsJack_Meoff

Scottish Indy Ref 2 on 23:03 - Oct 13 by londonlisa2001

They will have to take on their share of the inherited UK debt position to start with.

On a different note (and not in reply to your post) I am struggling slightly to understand why a non binding vote for Brexit has to be followed through and yet a binding vote for Scotland to remain in the Union can be rerun two years or so after the event because the minority didn't like the result?

In regard to your first sentence Lisa - will they? Yes, we'll be indignant, but did they sign up for this debt? It's a really interesting one for me. As you'll know, our national debt dates back to the privitisation of our money supply in 1694 and the setting up of the Bank of England. Not UK, Bank of England.

And the interest from that 'debt' is currently a £1 billion a month.

Can't tire of pointing this out. Because it's theft on an astonishing scale.

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.

Scottish Indy Ref 2 on 23:28 - Oct 13 with 1671 viewsWatchman

stupid question from a stupid person

She wants independence but then as soon as she has it wishes to join a financial and legal union................ erm is it fughing me!

I am but a dot, but a dot that can cause an earthquake
Blog: Ignorance is not Bliss but it sure is Funny

Login to get fewer ads

Scottish Indy Ref 2 on 23:35 - Oct 13 with 1666 viewslondonlisa2001

Scottish Indy Ref 2 on 23:15 - Oct 13 by Jack_Meoff

In regard to your first sentence Lisa - will they? Yes, we'll be indignant, but did they sign up for this debt? It's a really interesting one for me. As you'll know, our national debt dates back to the privitisation of our money supply in 1694 and the setting up of the Bank of England. Not UK, Bank of England.

And the interest from that 'debt' is currently a £1 billion a month.

Can't tire of pointing this out. Because it's theft on an astonishing scale.

Yes they will have to.

Yes they signed up for the debt as much as anyone else did.

The bit about the Bank of England is false. Yes, it was founded with debt, but to say it's the reason for 'our national debt' is just not true.

Just over the past 100 years as an example, our national debt in 1914 was £650m. It was £7.5bn in 1919 with the money being borrowed for the war. Same in the Second World War - the debt increased massively, same in the seventies, and then again under the last Labour government and since the latest recession. Other times the debt has reduced.

If people want 'the State' to provide various things and there isn't enough tax raised to pay for it, the debt increases - it really is as simple as that.

The 'original debt' by the way was just over a million pounds, and it was lent to the King / government to finance war efforts. it wasn't a 'privatisation of our money supply', previously the King had been unable to pay his bills and borrowing money from people enabled him to do so in future.
Scottish Indy Ref 2 on 23:48 - Oct 13 with 1652 viewsmorningstar

Scottish Indy Ref 2 on 19:21 - Oct 13 by swan85

Personally I really believe in the Union in the UK, a few years ago it concerned me that the Scots would go. But to be honest, I am now so fed up with them, it's like a wife who keeps threatening to leave you, eventually you just say "go-on then!"

Or to coin a phrase f*ck em!

Does your wife keep threatening to leave you then? Take a tip, if she is, forget the politics talk on here and concentrate on your marriage as you're obviously doing something wrong. Unless of course you have taken the 'go on then' option, in which case it's too late. ....Just saying!

Only winner of Planetswans Petulant Diva award.
Poll: Southampton home next. How many points

Scottish Indy Ref 2 on 23:56 - Oct 13 with 1643 viewsJack_Meoff

Scottish Indy Ref 2 on 23:35 - Oct 13 by londonlisa2001

Yes they will have to.

Yes they signed up for the debt as much as anyone else did.

The bit about the Bank of England is false. Yes, it was founded with debt, but to say it's the reason for 'our national debt' is just not true.

Just over the past 100 years as an example, our national debt in 1914 was £650m. It was £7.5bn in 1919 with the money being borrowed for the war. Same in the Second World War - the debt increased massively, same in the seventies, and then again under the last Labour government and since the latest recession. Other times the debt has reduced.

If people want 'the State' to provide various things and there isn't enough tax raised to pay for it, the debt increases - it really is as simple as that.

The 'original debt' by the way was just over a million pounds, and it was lent to the King / government to finance war efforts. it wasn't a 'privatisation of our money supply', previously the King had been unable to pay his bills and borrowing money from people enabled him to do so in future.

You are correct, the initial loan was £1200000. They didn't want it paid back, they just wanted the interest payments. Smart move considering how much they are gaining today. £1 billion a week.

And yes, the Bank of England was (is) a private institution. Its apparent nationalisation in 1946 (interesting inversion on 1694), makes zero difference to where we find ourselves today.

Money is a concept we invented. When did we become enslaved to it?

William of Orange is also the biggest traitor in human history. IMO.

Scottish Indy Ref 2 on 00:56 - Oct 14 with 1616 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Scottish Indy Ref 2 on 18:20 - Oct 13 by blueytheblue

Yup.

So when Scotland leave, they :-

lose the Barnett formula money which they disproportionately benefit from.
leave without being able to use the pound.
join EU, which means joining EuroZone with zero credit history.
take on their share of the uk debt.
have only a share of the north sea oil, when the arse end has fallen out of oil prices.
no longer get ruled from London but from Brussels.
have zero chance of celtic and new rangers joining the Prem.
have tariffs applied on trade with England ( 90% of their trade ).
have to get visas to get into England.
have even more work to do as the hole in their spending plans gets even bigger.

Yay, I'm sure the ordinary Scot will thank the oompa loompa for the mess she wants to create.
[Post edited 13 Oct 2016 18:21]

They can't leave as their deficit stands at 14.7 billion pounds to Westminster . That's a low teens percentage. The EU limit is 3%. They'd have to raise income tax from 20% to 39% to make that up or slash nhs spending by 82%. Snigger

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Scottish Indy Ref 2 on 06:23 - Oct 14 with 1591 viewsKilkennyjack

Scottish Indy Ref 2 on 00:56 - Oct 14 by Brynmill_Jack

They can't leave as their deficit stands at 14.7 billion pounds to Westminster . That's a low teens percentage. The EU limit is 3%. They'd have to raise income tax from 20% to 39% to make that up or slash nhs spending by 82%. Snigger

They can leave if its the will of the Scottish people. Its as simple as that really.
They are a nation with the god given right of self determination.
Scotland will take its place again amongst the nations of the world.

If Scotland is really in such a bad way then why is the British government so keen to make sure that it never happens ?

Dai Cam will have unintentionally have delivered the end if the union after all. The Conservative and Unionist PM who lost the union. Quality.

Beware of the Risen People

Scottish Indy Ref 2 on 06:27 - Oct 14 with 1589 viewsswan85

Scottish Indy Ref 2 on 23:48 - Oct 13 by morningstar

Does your wife keep threatening to leave you then? Take a tip, if she is, forget the politics talk on here and concentrate on your marriage as you're obviously doing something wrong. Unless of course you have taken the 'go on then' option, in which case it's too late. ....Just saying!

Nah, me and my other half aren't married, lived together happily for 15 years. Which is why I said like a wife, not the wife!

Just saying.
Scottish Indy Ref 2 on 09:24 - Oct 14 with 1558 viewsfather_jack

shes kicking off that the majority of the uk voted for leave yet she thinks its fair a population the size of birmingham can have the sayso on breaking up the union.

fvckwit, hate her.

DRINK, FECK, GIRRRRLLSSS!

Scottish Indy Ref 2 on 09:50 - Oct 14 with 1537 viewsLoyal

Scottish Indy Ref 2 on 09:24 - Oct 14 by father_jack

shes kicking off that the majority of the uk voted for leave yet she thinks its fair a population the size of birmingham can have the sayso on breaking up the union.

fvckwit, hate her.

A population a quarter of that is the difference in a yes or a no decision.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Scottish Indy Ref 2 on 10:32 - Oct 14 with 1526 viewsHighjack

Scottish Indy Ref 2 on 09:24 - Oct 14 by father_jack

fvckwit, hate her.

Me too. You have to wonder who is governing Scotland in the snps absence because all their resources and time are going towards independence.

I doubt they'd win a second referendum of it were called today. But then they'd probably have another one next year, and the year after that. Perhaps they could fit referendums into the annual burns night celebrations and give out free laphroaig and haggis at the polling booth.

#indyrefAdNauseam

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Scottish Indy Ref 2 on 10:47 - Oct 14 with 1518 viewsDafyddHuw

Yup.

have only a share of the north sea oil, when the arse end has fallen out of oil prices.

Yay, I'm sure the ordinary Scot will thank the oompa loompa for the mess she wants to create.

Nowhere near the mess we've got by leaving the EU.

Ha'way you Scots!
Scottish Indy Ref 2 on 11:19 - Oct 14 with 1509 viewsfather_jack

im sure of our lot on here would see us living in round houses again just for the hell of welsh nationalism.

DRINK, FECK, GIRRRRLLSSS!

Scottish Indy Ref 2 on 12:05 - Oct 14 with 1497 viewsTrundle10

Scottish Indy Ref 2 on 11:19 - Oct 14 by father_jack

im sure of our lot on here would see us living in round houses again just for the hell of welsh nationalism.

didn't they have a vote on this a year or two ago?
Scottish Indy Ref 2 on 17:43 - Oct 14 with 1432 viewsjohnlangy

Scottish Indy Ref 2 on 10:32 - Oct 14 by Highjack

Me too. You have to wonder who is governing Scotland in the snps absence because all their resources and time are going towards independence.

I doubt they'd win a second referendum of it were called today. But then they'd probably have another one next year, and the year after that. Perhaps they could fit referendums into the annual burns night celebrations and give out free laphroaig and haggis at the polling booth.

#indyrefAdNauseam

This is not an argument for a second Scottish independence referendum but just a reminder of why they consider they are right to consider calling one.

Just before the last vote Dai Cam and others, including Labour and Lib Dems, went to Scotland and did their best to persuade the Scots to vote no to independence because that was the ONLY way to ensure that Scotland would remain part of the EU.
Scottish Indy Ref 2 on 17:59 - Oct 14 with 1422 viewsLohengrin

Unless I'm missing something here then a second referendum with the aim of Scots accession to the EU would be a forlorn hope for the SNP. The Spanish will most certainly veto such a move as Madrid knows full well the encouragement that would give to Catalan claims for independence.

Sturgeon et al know this and it makes their posturing unfathomable to me?

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Scottish Indy Ref 2 on 18:13 - Oct 14 with 1415 viewsyescomeon

Yup.

There will be free movement, same as there is with Ireland.

Upthecity!

Scottish Indy Ref 2 on 18:21 - Oct 14 with 1413 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Scottish Indy Ref 2 on 06:23 - Oct 14 by Kilkennyjack

They can leave if its the will of the Scottish people. Its as simple as that really.
They are a nation with the god given right of self determination.
Scotland will take its place again amongst the nations of the world.

If Scotland is really in such a bad way then why is the British government so keen to make sure that it never happens ?

Dai Cam will have unintentionally have delivered the end if the union after all. The Conservative and Unionist PM who lost the union. Quality.

They can't be accepted as members of the EU with a deficit of over 3.5%. That's the rules, no matter how many ginger wigs, claymores and Haggis is waved around.

Scottish Indy Ref 2 on 18:30 - Oct 14 with 1406 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Scottish Indy Ref 2 on 23:28 - Oct 13 by Watchman

stupid question from a stupid person

She wants independence but then as soon as she has it wishes to join a financial and legal union................ erm is it fughing me!

Believe me, the European hard line on brexit will seem like a walk in the park compared with the scots self inflicted agony and added torture from the Britishover the break up of the union.It ill be "you want to leave? ok f*ck off then" with no protection, financial, legal or otherwise. They will be made to feel every turn of the Sexit knife.
[Post edited 14 Oct 2016 18:31]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024