Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This FFP fine, is it ever going to happen? 10:27 - Oct 31 with 4479 viewsadhoc_qpr

It's been hanging over us for so long, but it never gets mentioned anymore?

Just curious really as the club seems to be in a bit of a malaise in general.

The football is stale and boring but we probably won't go down, which seems to be acceptable to the powers that be.

JFH isn't showing any signs of developing a plan or improving, but having backed him after the half-hearted Telegraph sting he seems like he'll get the season.

It's all just a bit 'meh' really.
This FFP fine, is it ever going to happen? on 10:38 - Oct 31 with 4461 viewsDorse

Quiet! Someone might hear you!

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

This FFP fine, is it ever going to happen? on 10:43 - Oct 31 with 4441 viewsTacticalR

It might not be mentioned very often, but surely it's the reason that the club is pursuing the strategy it's pursuing.

Air hostess clique

This FFP fine, is it ever going to happen? on 11:32 - Oct 31 with 4384 viewsadhoc_qpr

This FFP fine, is it ever going to happen? on 10:43 - Oct 31 by TacticalR

It might not be mentioned very often, but surely it's the reason that the club is pursuing the strategy it's pursuing.

Exactly - it seems to be a major factor in our club's strategy, but i can't remember the last official word on it from either the club or the football league?

I appreciate the courts take time, but there is just no urgency seemingly. For example, the difference between a £10m+ fine versus a slap on the wrist and no meaningful fine could change our entire approach to JFH, the January window etc
This FFP fine, is it ever going to happen? on 11:39 - Oct 31 with 4366 viewsLongsufferingR

This FFP fine, is it ever going to happen? on 11:32 - Oct 31 by adhoc_qpr

Exactly - it seems to be a major factor in our club's strategy, but i can't remember the last official word on it from either the club or the football league?

I appreciate the courts take time, but there is just no urgency seemingly. For example, the difference between a £10m+ fine versus a slap on the wrist and no meaningful fine could change our entire approach to JFH, the January window etc

If we just get a slap on the wrist, there will still be no change to the sensible policies LH and LF are implementing, and I wouldn't want there to be as what is the point of initiating a top to bottom overhaul of the club and the way it works if you're just going to abandon it after a year.

You also said there's a general malaise around the club. Really? On the pitch, yes, I agree. Results aren't what we want atm, but the club in general? Maybe under previous stewardship, but not now.
This FFP fine, is it ever going to happen? on 13:11 - Oct 31 with 4209 viewsWeaverQPR

I don't think anything will come of it.

@WeavQPR

This FFP fine, is it ever going to happen? on 13:37 - Oct 31 with 4157 viewshoopdog

I think it suits the club at the moment to have ffp hanging over the club , otherwise the criticism would be a lot louder and a lot more abusive
This FFP fine, is it ever going to happen? on 13:55 - Oct 31 with 4117 viewsJuzzie

This FFP fine, is it ever going to happen? on 13:11 - Oct 31 by WeaverQPR

I don't think anything will come of it.

I'm thinking (hoping) the same.

We're showing we're trying to redress the balance. We stopped playing Green to simply avoid triggering the contract extension then let him go in the summer. Other high earners went, we managed to sell one player for £4m and we got in more modest, reasonable signings. Sandro will probably see out his contract as with so many others before him as no one will match what we're paying.

I think we're doing enough to show the FA/FL we're trying our best to comply and that slapping a £10m fine on us will actually make the club worse off and not actually help matters.

[Post edited 31 Oct 2016 14:47]
This FFP fine, is it ever going to happen? on 13:59 - Oct 31 with 4101 viewsrobith

I suspect the following scenario. We are a club the league would love to nail with FFP. Let's face it, we are the case study in how not to run a club, and are pretty fortunate (in a blind luck kind of way, not a we should be grateful kind of way) that we had owners prepared to eat the debts rather than stuff us forever.

However, FFP of course has several issues with it - of which we are also the case study. FFP is against competition law, and is different between the Prem and the FL leaving you two months to bring a Prem squad in line.

As such, I suspect that the FL know if they did deliver the verdict, the whole FFP house of cards would collapse under our formal legal challenge. As such we have probably been negotiating a position of "we were planning to bring ourselves in line anyway" and we get left alone while the league claim the victory of modifying our behaviour and FFP lives on. They leave it long enough that no one cares any more - after all, in a league where Newcastle spend the better part of 50 mil who cares about what QPR did 3 years ago. Spending is cool again.
Login to get fewer ads

This FFP fine, is it ever going to happen? on 14:38 - Oct 31 with 4053 viewsNorthernr

It'll go to arbitration which will be interesting. The league's case is shot - we know this because if it wasn't they'd have just fined us, but they know if they do we'll take them to court over it and risk blowing the rules out altogether. We also know it because they changed the rules immediately afterwards because they were unworkable, therefore admitting themselves the rules QPR were punished under were sht.
This FFP fine, is it ever going to happen? on 14:51 - Oct 31 with 4035 viewsJuzzie

This FFP fine, is it ever going to happen? on 13:59 - Oct 31 by robith

I suspect the following scenario. We are a club the league would love to nail with FFP. Let's face it, we are the case study in how not to run a club, and are pretty fortunate (in a blind luck kind of way, not a we should be grateful kind of way) that we had owners prepared to eat the debts rather than stuff us forever.

However, FFP of course has several issues with it - of which we are also the case study. FFP is against competition law, and is different between the Prem and the FL leaving you two months to bring a Prem squad in line.

As such, I suspect that the FL know if they did deliver the verdict, the whole FFP house of cards would collapse under our formal legal challenge. As such we have probably been negotiating a position of "we were planning to bring ourselves in line anyway" and we get left alone while the league claim the victory of modifying our behaviour and FFP lives on. They leave it long enough that no one cares any more - after all, in a league where Newcastle spend the better part of 50 mil who cares about what QPR did 3 years ago. Spending is cool again.

Newcastle could spend £50m because they brought in something like £54m from player sales. As far as FFP goes, that's fine.

The amounts matter not, just as long as outgoings doesn't outstrip income via the clubs own means (no sugar daddy's).

It's the last bit that's the problem, clubs like QPR, Bournemouth etc cannot cope with the likes of any other club who get 30-40k+ attendance figures each home game.
This FFP fine, is it ever going to happen? on 15:28 - Oct 31 with 3992 viewsrobith

This FFP fine, is it ever going to happen? on 14:51 - Oct 31 by Juzzie

Newcastle could spend £50m because they brought in something like £54m from player sales. As far as FFP goes, that's fine.

The amounts matter not, just as long as outgoings doesn't outstrip income via the clubs own means (no sugar daddy's).

It's the last bit that's the problem, clubs like QPR, Bournemouth etc cannot cope with the likes of any other club who get 30-40k+ attendance figures each home game.

I meant more at the time we were splashing the cash everyone wanted to be like Swansea or Southampton, "doing things properly"

Now spending is back back in vogue again - when Newcastle went down a few years ago they didn't splash large like they've done now. This year everyone's throwing cash around like confetti.

As such the public perception of spending too much isn't against us as much any more
This FFP fine, is it ever going to happen? on 16:37 - Oct 31 with 3927 viewsDannytheR

Feels like there's a bit of a pincer movement going on financially. On the one hand there's the FFP situation, which you assume is going to be hanging over us until the random point in the future when it's all quietly dropped and forgotten about. But that could be a long while yet. On the other, there's the brake on the spending Fernandes' backers would presumably have put on the club anyway, given the vast amounts of cash pissed away in our two attempts at Premiership survival AND the ongoing uncertainty about Old Oak.

Wouldn't surprise me if the current plan was to try and stabilise the club financially ahead of quietly trying to find a buyer for it.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2016 16:38]
This FFP fine, is it ever going to happen? on 17:20 - Oct 31 with 3833 viewsJuzzie

This FFP fine, is it ever going to happen? on 15:28 - Oct 31 by robith

I meant more at the time we were splashing the cash everyone wanted to be like Swansea or Southampton, "doing things properly"

Now spending is back back in vogue again - when Newcastle went down a few years ago they didn't splash large like they've done now. This year everyone's throwing cash around like confetti.

As such the public perception of spending too much isn't against us as much any more

I see. Yeah, a few years ago we were "all that's wrong with football" now you have Palace spending far more than we ever did and no one bats an eyelid.
This FFP fine, is it ever going to happen? on 18:22 - Oct 31 with 3757 viewsLongsufferingR

This FFP fine, is it ever going to happen? on 17:20 - Oct 31 by Juzzie

I see. Yeah, a few years ago we were "all that's wrong with football" now you have Palace spending far more than we ever did and no one bats an eyelid.

...but Palace are spending what they can afford having been in the top flight for a few years. No way on earth Steve Parish will allow them to live beyond their means like we did.
This FFP fine, is it ever going to happen? on 18:26 - Oct 31 with 3746 viewsQPR_Jim

This FFP fine, is it ever going to happen? on 16:37 - Oct 31 by DannytheR

Feels like there's a bit of a pincer movement going on financially. On the one hand there's the FFP situation, which you assume is going to be hanging over us until the random point in the future when it's all quietly dropped and forgotten about. But that could be a long while yet. On the other, there's the brake on the spending Fernandes' backers would presumably have put on the club anyway, given the vast amounts of cash pissed away in our two attempts at Premiership survival AND the ongoing uncertainty about Old Oak.

Wouldn't surprise me if the current plan was to try and stabilise the club financially ahead of quietly trying to find a buyer for it.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2016 16:38]

Or they're thanking their luck that we broke the old FFP rules which we can challenge them and are making sure we don't break the new rules which might be harder to get out of.
This FFP fine, is it ever going to happen? on 19:48 - Oct 31 with 3673 viewsbosh67

This FFP fine, is it ever going to happen? on 14:38 - Oct 31 by Northernr

It'll go to arbitration which will be interesting. The league's case is shot - we know this because if it wasn't they'd have just fined us, but they know if they do we'll take them to court over it and risk blowing the rules out altogether. We also know it because they changed the rules immediately afterwards because they were unworkable, therefore admitting themselves the rules QPR were punished under were sht.

Let's face it, they almost punished Luton and a few others out of existence. FFP simply cripples smaller clubs. It's a bit like punishing someone with a credit card debt by ripping them out of their home and making them sleep in a landfill, to help them out. If they do us they have to do Bournemouth, Leicester, Aston Villa, Newcastle, etc etc. Idiotic badly thought out system. I wouldn't be surprised if Man City soon go back and get their £50m back.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024