Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Paul Nuttall new UKIP leader 13:03 - Nov 28 with 28753 viewsJacksDad

Photo in the Guardian https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/nov/28/paul-nuttall-elected-as-ukip-le Penfold? Even the clothes? On Purpose? Will labour elect DangerMouse? DM for PM .... stranger things have happened..........

Excuse me I seem to be having a breakdown!
Paul Nuttall new UKIP leader on 15:11 - Nov 28 with 2721 viewskensalriser

Paul Nuttall new UKIP leader on 14:58 - Nov 28 by essextaxiboy

Still waiting for the stock market to tank ..

It has, in sterling terms, which of course you already know.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Paul Nuttall new UKIP leader on 15:12 - Nov 28 with 2718 viewsessextaxiboy

Paul Nuttall new UKIP leader on 15:06 - Nov 28 by Northernr

The full effects, positive or negative, won't be known for years. You're still waiting because it (Brexit) hasn't happened yet.

No , these were things that we were told would happen straight after a vote to leave .
Paul Nuttall new UKIP leader on 15:14 - Nov 28 with 2712 viewsNorthernr

Paul Nuttall new UKIP leader on 15:12 - Nov 28 by essextaxiboy

No , these were things that we were told would happen straight after a vote to leave .

Like we were told we could spend an extra £350m a week on the NHS. Absolute bollox talked on both sides, lots of which people put their faith and vote in. Really sad campaign all round IMO which included several people - Johnson chief among them - campaigning for something they didn't believe in and didn't think would win purely to further their own career.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Paul Nuttall new UKIP leader on 15:17 - Nov 28 with 2707 viewsessextaxiboy

Paul Nuttall new UKIP leader on 15:04 - Nov 28 by Konk

Heading home in a minute, but

Dispute the Turkish situation - huge opposition to Turkey joining the EU from all across the political spectrum and throughout Europe. The Visa-free travel was for the Schengen zone and was always unlikely given improvements that had been stipulated in areas such as freedom of press, suppression of political opposition, independence of judiciary etc.

As for people not understanding what they were potentially voting for - absolutely the fault of people who were comforted by politicians/media commentators saying it would all be hunky-dory because we could just follow the Norwegian model, whilst neglecting to mention the fact that unlimited EU immigration was integral to that. I think you probably spent an awful lot more time considering the outcome of Brexit/Remain than most people who voted either way.

I did take it seriously ,and I did research it .

The only time emotion came into it for me was when the American President came here and threatened us while a smirking Prime Minister who I voted for stood next to him .
Paul Nuttall new UKIP leader on 15:19 - Nov 28 with 2703 viewsAntti_Heinola

Paul Nuttall new UKIP leader on 14:40 - Nov 28 by essextaxiboy

Still waiting for my house to lose 18%

We haven't left yet.

Bare bones.

Paul Nuttall new UKIP leader on 15:19 - Nov 28 with 2702 viewsessextaxiboy

Paul Nuttall new UKIP leader on 15:09 - Nov 28 by Konk

This argument always reminds me of the "Fall of Baghdad" where people opposed to the invasion were patted on the head and told they'd been worrying about nothing after all. Didn't turn out quite that way in the long run.

Hopefully some of us will have been fretting over nothing in terms of the UK economy/Brexit, but I guess we won't really know until we're out and we know what sort of relationship we have with the rest of Europe and the wider world. I think it's far too soon to be smug - and the crack team of Fox, Davis and Johnson aren't exactly filling me with confidence.

I was likened to Comical Ali on here when I supported Redknapp for too long .
Paul Nuttall new UKIP leader on 15:20 - Nov 28 with 2702 viewsNorthernr

Paul Nuttall new UKIP leader on 15:17 - Nov 28 by essextaxiboy

The only time emotion came into it for me was when the American President came here and threatened us while a smirking Prime Minister who I voted for stood next to him .

As Farrage and Trump are currently doing to the Americans.
Paul Nuttall new UKIP leader on 15:22 - Nov 28 with 2692 viewsKonk

Paul Nuttall new UKIP leader on 15:17 - Nov 28 by essextaxiboy

Evidently, and it's good to see. I know a lot of people who spent an awful lot of time reading up on it, debating it etc, but I also know a lot of people on both sides, who didn't have a clue.

In Cameron's defence, he always looks smug.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Login to get fewer ads

Paul Nuttall new UKIP leader on 15:23 - Nov 28 with 2687 viewsMrSheen

Paul Nuttall new UKIP leader on 15:01 - Nov 28 by BlackCrowe

My kids did some market research on the drive to Sunday sport activities by counting the number of 'Vote..' boards outside people's houses. They conclude that Lib Dems will get 75% of the vote, Cons, 25% and Labour 0%.

My son's friend, who's a Tory fanatic, got on the LibDems at 1.4 on Betfair at the weekend.
Paul Nuttall new UKIP leader on 15:24 - Nov 28 with 2685 viewsNorthernr

Paul Nuttall new UKIP leader on 15:23 - Nov 28 by MrSheen

My son's friend, who's a Tory fanatic, got on the LibDems at 1.4 on Betfair at the weekend.

Isn't the lib dem campaign there a bit of a mess though?
Paul Nuttall new UKIP leader on 15:28 - Nov 28 with 2673 viewsdaveB

Paul Nuttall new UKIP leader on 14:58 - Nov 28 by essextaxiboy

Still waiting for the stock market to tank ..

We haven't actually come out of the EU yet and the stock market won't react too much when that is several years away but you'll soon see the start of it in the new year when prices of everyday things start to go up. We're seeing it at work with several redundancies recently based on what is expected for next year. Happy Times
Paul Nuttall new UKIP leader on 15:33 - Nov 28 with 2662 viewsGloucs_R

Paul Nuttall new UKIP leader on 14:38 - Nov 28 by essextaxiboy

What didn't you know ?

Real cost of leaving
Timescales of leaving
The fact that we have absolutely no plan whatsoever

Maybe they were mentioned, probably got lost in the "immigration" row...

was 60/40 at the time of voting....probably 50/50 now

Poll: Warburton, What's next?

Paul Nuttall new UKIP leader on 15:38 - Nov 28 with 2658 viewsHunterhoop

Paul Nuttall new UKIP leader on 15:09 - Nov 28 by Konk

This argument always reminds me of the "Fall of Baghdad" where people opposed to the invasion were patted on the head and told they'd been worrying about nothing after all. Didn't turn out quite that way in the long run.

Hopefully some of us will have been fretting over nothing in terms of the UK economy/Brexit, but I guess we won't really know until we're out and we know what sort of relationship we have with the rest of Europe and the wider world. I think it's far too soon to be smug - and the crack team of Fox, Davis and Johnson aren't exactly filling me with confidence.

Essex,

I'm genuinely intrigued about your flippancy on this front.

As someone who wasn't rabidly anti or pro Brexit, a minority group in itself, and who a) is very interested in politics, b) knows my own political beliefs (which we both know differ from yours, albeit less than you'd like to appreciate, I feel ), and c) watched/read lots of the campaign coverage, where/when did Remain campaigners say that everything would go to sh*t straight after a "Leave" vote was in? Genuinely, who said this?

Everything I recall about "Project Fear", which I agree was over the top, was caveated with "if we leave the EU....". We have not left the EU yet. We don't even know when we'll leave the EU yet, nor on what terms. Ergo, it has not happened yet. Ergo, you can't say Project Fear was "wrong" or proven "wrong" as the premise on which it was based hasn't happened.

The only thing of any real note that happened, and was said would happen, immediately, was a hit to sterling. The overall impact of this is not straightforward to gauge, but applying basic economic principles it's likely to be negative overall to the UK since we import more than we export. It'll be a gradual trickle down effect through the business supply chain to consumers. And the government's independent forecasts have dropped their growth forecasts through to 2021 now from those before the vote, even leaving the assumption of getting the deal we want in March 2019). As far as I can see, this revision is based solely on the underperformance of the economy in 2016 and the drop in sterling.

Project Fear may well be proven to have been wrong, but you can't say it's wrong yet. March 2019 will be your earliest chance to say "I told you so", although I think around 2025, will be a more appropriate time to judge.

Incidentally, I don't like the EU, I think it's a busted flush as a bureaucratic entity, is an entirely different concept to "Europe", which everyone seems to gloss over, and will look very different or not exist in it's current guise within the next 20 years. However, I thought it wiser to stay inside the tent (so to speak) and effect/influence the change gradually, than jump out early. Trump's election, and potential isolationist approach, the likely canning of TTIP, and an expansionist Russia merely enhance my view that we'd have been wiser to stay inside the EU and mould/influence it's change than go it alone at this point in time, accepting that the EU is and will be a failed institution for today's society.
Paul Nuttall new UKIP leader on 15:59 - Nov 28 with 2615 viewsMrSheen

Paul Nuttall new UKIP leader on 15:24 - Nov 28 by Northernr

Isn't the lib dem campaign there a bit of a mess though?

It felt like every Liberal Democrat that ever there was came out on Saturday. The candidate is not particularly inspiring and they may be tripping over each others' feet, but you can't fault them for effort and enthusiasm, even if you can't understand it either. Round our way at least, Zac's response has been thin and Labour's near invisible, despite them having an office about 100m from my house. Not sure if it will be enough to overturn his huge majority though.
Paul Nuttall new UKIP leader on 16:15 - Nov 28 with 2593 viewsJacksDad

Man all I said was that the dude looked like Penfold!

Imagine what would have happened if I said Therese May reminded me of Bridget "the midget" McCluskey!
Paul Nuttall new UKIP leader on 16:29 - Nov 28 with 1979 viewsessextaxiboy

Paul Nuttall new UKIP leader on 15:20 - Nov 28 by Northernr

As Farrage and Trump are currently doing to the Americans.

Exactly , although Farage is not a of Head of State of a super power , he is not even an MP.

Thats why I make no comment on Trump getting elected , their vote , their business .
Paul Nuttall new UKIP leader on 16:31 - Nov 28 with 1972 viewsessextaxiboy

Paul Nuttall new UKIP leader on 15:19 - Nov 28 by Antti_Heinola

We haven't left yet.

We were told it would happen straight after the vote ..
Paul Nuttall new UKIP leader on 16:31 - Nov 28 with 1970 viewsTacticalR

Surely Hookem should have been leader as he has demonstrated his ability to deliver knockout blows to his opponents? It's the kind of strong leadership we need in these uncertain times.

Btw, they have some good names in UKIP. Nuttall, Hookem (and Bashem). Quite Dickensian.

Air hostess clique

Paul Nuttall new UKIP leader on 16:40 - Nov 28 with 1956 viewsessextaxiboy

Paul Nuttall new UKIP leader on 15:14 - Nov 28 by Northernr

Like we were told we could spend an extra £350m a week on the NHS. Absolute bollox talked on both sides, lots of which people put their faith and vote in. Really sad campaign all round IMO which included several people - Johnson chief among them - campaigning for something they didn't believe in and didn't think would win purely to further their own career.

This post has been edited by an administrator

We send 350 Mil to the EU
Lets fund the NHS instead

Where does that say how much we will fund it by ?

The power of suggestion , like thinking you will pull that women on the advert if you wear that aftershave. No one promises that they just suggest it ..

Agreed on Johnson , he has to put up now . He was collateral damage along with Farage to get the referendum and then win it ...both yesterdays men now .
Paul Nuttall new UKIP leader on 16:42 - Nov 28 with 1954 viewsElHoop

Turkey - I've no idea how that will end up but I doubt that there's room in the inn for an oppressive dictator. Having said that, the oppressive dictator was, last time i heard, threatening to let everyone through to Europe if the EU doesn't play ball. So that's looking like a mess.

It's not the fault of our politicians really - they were put somewhere between a rock and a hard place by the EU. There was no way that you could stay in and no way that you could leave. If you asked the entire population of the EU whether they thought that it was an effective or ineffective organisation then I suspect that a very low percentage would be in favour, and that's why Brexit will forge ahead. Whilst there's a lot of people in favour of staying in to avoid the negative consequences of leaving, there's nobody much singing for the EU itself.

Ultimately 'events' will dictate. We voted out. The Americans chose Trump. It's very unlikely that national elections in Europe next year will maintain the status quo over there. Then what? It's a waste of time worrying about Brexit. More than likely there won't be anything to Brexit from by the time that the two years are up. Either that or they'll back down on freedom of movement and give us enough for a second vote to remain.
Paul Nuttall new UKIP leader on 16:46 - Nov 28 with 1945 viewsessextaxiboy

Paul Nuttall new UKIP leader on 15:28 - Nov 28 by daveB

We haven't actually come out of the EU yet and the stock market won't react too much when that is several years away but you'll soon see the start of it in the new year when prices of everyday things start to go up. We're seeing it at work with several redundancies recently based on what is expected for next year. Happy Times

The stock market reacts to uncertainty , it will dip when Article 50 is invoked (buy) then recover

I wouldnt presume to comment on your work but there is some hiding bad news under Brexit .

Hewden the plant hire company went into liquidation last week after no accounts filed last year and in 2014 a 16 Mil loss ... they blame Brexit
[Post edited 28 Nov 2016 17:24]
Paul Nuttall new UKIP leader on 16:48 - Nov 28 with 1944 viewsTacticalR

Agent Boris is campaigning to get Turkey into the EU

Boris Johnson says UK will support Turkey's bid to join EU despite Brexit vote
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/boris-johnson-uk-support-tur

Air hostess clique

Paul Nuttall new UKIP leader on 16:54 - Nov 28 with 1934 viewsessextaxiboy

Paul Nuttall new UKIP leader on 15:38 - Nov 28 by Hunterhoop

Essex,

I'm genuinely intrigued about your flippancy on this front.

As someone who wasn't rabidly anti or pro Brexit, a minority group in itself, and who a) is very interested in politics, b) knows my own political beliefs (which we both know differ from yours, albeit less than you'd like to appreciate, I feel ), and c) watched/read lots of the campaign coverage, where/when did Remain campaigners say that everything would go to sh*t straight after a "Leave" vote was in? Genuinely, who said this?

Everything I recall about "Project Fear", which I agree was over the top, was caveated with "if we leave the EU....". We have not left the EU yet. We don't even know when we'll leave the EU yet, nor on what terms. Ergo, it has not happened yet. Ergo, you can't say Project Fear was "wrong" or proven "wrong" as the premise on which it was based hasn't happened.

The only thing of any real note that happened, and was said would happen, immediately, was a hit to sterling. The overall impact of this is not straightforward to gauge, but applying basic economic principles it's likely to be negative overall to the UK since we import more than we export. It'll be a gradual trickle down effect through the business supply chain to consumers. And the government's independent forecasts have dropped their growth forecasts through to 2021 now from those before the vote, even leaving the assumption of getting the deal we want in March 2019). As far as I can see, this revision is based solely on the underperformance of the economy in 2016 and the drop in sterling.

Project Fear may well be proven to have been wrong, but you can't say it's wrong yet. March 2019 will be your earliest chance to say "I told you so", although I think around 2025, will be a more appropriate time to judge.

Incidentally, I don't like the EU, I think it's a busted flush as a bureaucratic entity, is an entirely different concept to "Europe", which everyone seems to gloss over, and will look very different or not exist in it's current guise within the next 20 years. However, I thought it wiser to stay inside the tent (so to speak) and effect/influence the change gradually, than jump out early. Trump's election, and potential isolationist approach, the likely canning of TTIP, and an expansionist Russia merely enhance my view that we'd have been wiser to stay inside the EU and mould/influence it's change than go it alone at this point in time, accepting that the EU is and will be a failed institution for today's society.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/14/osborne-predicts-30bn-hole-in-p

I will try to find more later but my new TV has turned up and I am supposed to be building IKEA stuff ..
[Post edited 28 Nov 2016 16:57]
Paul Nuttall new UKIP leader on 17:02 - Nov 28 with 1917 viewsElHoop

Paul Nuttall new UKIP leader on 16:31 - Nov 28 by essextaxiboy

We were told it would happen straight after the vote ..

The pound went down which made shares more attractive (cheaper) for foreigh investors, so they held up. If the pound recovers then shares might well go down again. That's my (simplistic) understanding anyway.
Paul Nuttall new UKIP leader on 17:12 - Nov 28 with 1887 viewsPhildo

This is very 2016 though isn't it -a lifelong New York Democrat billionaire just got elected leader of the free world standing as a Protectionist Republican champion of the white blue collar worker.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024