Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Luongo 21:58 - Dec 27 with 3924 viewsoldmeadoniansR

Takes a lot of stick. He is actually a progressive player. He looks to go forward and today kept driving right to the end. Took the ball in tight situations and didn't hide. I suppose it is easy to be seen as rubbish in our current context but he is a good player and could possible shine in a team that had ability and confidence.
Luongo on 22:03 - Dec 27 with 3905 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Don't know if this will come out right as a link but its says he make the fifth most tackles per game in the league, and sixth total tackles in the league, despite playing three games less than the leader.

https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/7/Seasons/6365/Stages/13832/Pl
Luongo on 22:06 - Dec 27 with 3886 viewsozexile

I don't mind Luongo but for a box to box midfielder not to score a goal in a season and a half is a problem for me and certainly for the team.
Luongo on 22:17 - Dec 27 with 3845 viewsqprewan

Luongo on 22:03 - Dec 27 by BazzaInTheLoft

Don't know if this will come out right as a link but its says he make the fifth most tackles per game in the league, and sixth total tackles in the league, despite playing three games less than the leader.

https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/7/Seasons/6365/Stages/13832/Pl

Can't agree mate; I think he's generally a lightweight but if you are right hopefully there will be a load of other Championship teams trying to bite our hands off to get him but somehow I don't think so.
Luongo on 22:26 - Dec 27 with 3802 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Luongo on 22:17 - Dec 27 by qprewan

Can't agree mate; I think he's generally a lightweight but if you are right hopefully there will be a load of other Championship teams trying to bite our hands off to get him but somehow I don't think so.

This isn't my opinion mate, it's in black and white.
Luongo on 22:26 - Dec 27 with 3802 viewsWadR

Deserves stick for a performance like today's. Moronic challenge to make in a period where we were massively under the cosh. Was poor in the first half, a lot of aimless passes and eased off the ball frequently.

Generally I'm a big fan, think he's an excellent clever footballer who is just in a poor run of form in a dis functional side that is low on confidence.

He's suffered from being played in a number of different roles by 3 different managers in endless different formations with dozens of different teammates. In a functional side, I really think he'd be superb.

What I'd like to see is a midfield of Doughty, Cousins (thought he was our best player today), Luongo given the rest of the season to gel. Play them in the same side, same formation and allow them the patience and time to improve and get to know each other's games.
Luongo on 23:05 - Dec 27 with 3715 viewsisawqpratwcity

Luongo on 22:06 - Dec 27 by ozexile

I don't mind Luongo but for a box to box midfielder not to score a goal in a season and a half is a problem for me and certainly for the team.

Your 'exile' should let you know that in a roughly similar period with the Socceroos he has got 5 goals and numerous assists.

At the very least, it shows he is capable, and that maybe his Australian colleagues are able to generate something from him that we can't.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Luongo on 00:54 - Dec 28 with 3623 viewsbaz_qpr

Luongo on 23:05 - Dec 27 by isawqpratwcity

Your 'exile' should let you know that in a roughly similar period with the Socceroos he has got 5 goals and numerous assists.

At the very least, it shows he is capable, and that maybe his Australian colleagues are able to generate something from him that we can't.

Whats the level of the opposition though?

I just don't know where he fits he's not an 8 he has never dictated a game and can't hit a long pass and he's not a 10 because he does not create or score enough. He also has a very bad habit of taking two too many touches so gets disposed or ends up pirouetting and passing back. No one can deny he his quite skilful with the ball at his feet but the lack of end product or wasting a good position the team have got into is a problem
Luongo on 01:02 - Dec 28 with 3609 viewsjohncharles

Can't pass and tackle at the same time. When he's not tackling his passing is good. When he tackles and gets the ball he immediately gives it away.

Strong and stable my arse.

Login to get fewer ads

Luongo on 10:09 - Dec 28 with 3411 viewsisawqpratwcity

Luongo on 00:54 - Dec 28 by baz_qpr

I just don't know where he fits he's not an 8 he has never dictated a game and can't hit a long pass and he's not a 10 because he does not create or score enough. He also has a very bad habit of taking two too many touches so gets disposed or ends up pirouetting and passing back. No one can deny he his quite skilful with the ball at his feet but the lack of end product or wasting a good position the team have got into is a problem

Yeah, a few duds in amongst those fixtures, and certainly no-one as tough as Iceland, but that does include Oz winning the Asian Cup, with Luongo scoring a couple and picking up Most Valuable Player of the tournament.

Off-hand, I can't think of any other Ballon d'Or nominees in hoops.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Luongo on 12:05 - Dec 28 with 3283 viewsPhilmyRs

Luongo on 00:54 - Dec 28 by baz_qpr

I sort of agree with this. I think a problem is that he’s probably the standout player we have (with the exception of chery) with the ball at his feet. He moves the ball around with excellent balance, poise. He “looks” a class act. But he doesn’t boss a game, he doesn’t score. It’s incredible that a midfielder who admittedly has been more disciplined this year, has failed to score a single goal during his time with Rangers. Whatever way you want to look at it, to not have scored isn’t a good enough return for someone with his ability.
Accepting all the above though, the lack of quality we have on the pitch, the way we’ve struggled to play the ball to feet at times during games, we really do need him. He’s still a young man so will only improve but positional sense, experience, discipline knowing your game, are all qualities you really need in the middle of the park and we don’t seem to have it.

With 3 in the middle I think Llongo could be decent, especially if he had a player with decent midfield leadership and experience to guide him through games in the Derry mould. Play him alongside 1 or 2 inexperienced players that are also finding their way and he, and us, will struggle.

At the moment we have a bunch of individuals, some with decent potential, but still learning and would certainly benefit from one or two more experienced heads in the team to guide them .
Luongo on 12:15 - Dec 28 with 3266 viewsRanger78

I've been championing Luongo and can clearly see he has good technical ability but my patience is wearing pretty thin.

After each game, even with some of his clever touches and attempts at progressive forward passes, I'm left thinking " what impact did he actually have on today's game "?

Overall, our midfield is desperate and it's too important a position for us to have players that don't really have any influential impact on the game.

For me, we need to do everything possible to get Cousins in the team in CM, I don't care if others are dropped as a result. he seems like he might have a "presence " and the ability to really drive the team on. Something we desperately need
Luongo on 12:36 - Dec 28 with 3218 viewsR_from_afar

Luongo on 12:05 - Dec 28 by PhilmyRs

I sort of agree with this. I think a problem is that he’s probably the standout player we have (with the exception of chery) with the ball at his feet. He moves the ball around with excellent balance, poise. He “looks” a class act. But he doesn’t boss a game, he doesn’t score. It’s incredible that a midfielder who admittedly has been more disciplined this year, has failed to score a single goal during his time with Rangers. Whatever way you want to look at it, to not have scored isn’t a good enough return for someone with his ability.
Accepting all the above though, the lack of quality we have on the pitch, the way we’ve struggled to play the ball to feet at times during games, we really do need him. He’s still a young man so will only improve but positional sense, experience, discipline knowing your game, are all qualities you really need in the middle of the park and we don’t seem to have it.

With 3 in the middle I think Llongo could be decent, especially if he had a player with decent midfield leadership and experience to guide him through games in the Derry mould. Play him alongside 1 or 2 inexperienced players that are also finding their way and he, and us, will struggle.

At the moment we have a bunch of individuals, some with decent potential, but still learning and would certainly benefit from one or two more experienced heads in the team to guide them .

"Accepting all the above though, the lack of quality we have on the pitch, the way we’ve struggled to play the ball to feet at times during games, we really do need him".

That is a very telling comment. He is probably the best of the our central midfield bunch and that's a worry because he hasn't scored any goals, he can get eased off the ball and there are times where his tracking back is half-hearted and too slow. In common with most of our squad, he needs to up his game and also inject a bit of steel and determination into it. Our players are all too nice and too meek, it's as if they think they're playing in a training game. Compare and contrast with Brighton yesterday: Their grit and determination was palpable.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Luongo on 12:39 - Dec 28 with 3216 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Luongo on 12:36 - Dec 28 by R_from_afar

"Accepting all the above though, the lack of quality we have on the pitch, the way we’ve struggled to play the ball to feet at times during games, we really do need him".

That is a very telling comment. He is probably the best of the our central midfield bunch and that's a worry because he hasn't scored any goals, he can get eased off the ball and there are times where his tracking back is half-hearted and too slow. In common with most of our squad, he needs to up his game and also inject a bit of steel and determination into it. Our players are all too nice and too meek, it's as if they think they're playing in a training game. Compare and contrast with Brighton yesterday: Their grit and determination was palpable.

RFA

He is a bit unlucky in front of goal. Seen him at the shitty end of a few cracking saves this season, including yesterday.
Luongo on 13:02 - Dec 28 with 3188 viewsbaz_qpr

Luongo on 12:39 - Dec 28 by BazzaInTheLoft

He is a bit unlucky in front of goal. Seen him at the shitty end of a few cracking saves this season, including yesterday.

That was a fairly easy save yesterday and he should have shot across the keeper and forced the keeper to parry it out
Luongo on 13:04 - Dec 28 with 3184 viewsbosh67

He is work in progress but the problem is that the standard of the coaching here is never going to see him realise his full potential. At the moment I feel like he is stuck as a not as good Faurlin.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024