Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Do I Not Like That 13:46 - Jan 12 with 3618 viewsToast_R

Graham Taylor RIP.

Good club manager no matter what happened with England.
Do I Not Like That on 13:51 - Jan 12 with 3143 viewsNorthernr

Really nice fella as well.

CARLTON. CARLTON. HIT LES.
Do I Not Like That on 13:52 - Jan 12 with 3141 viewsRs_Holy

Oh sh1te!.... Great pundit too!
Do I Not Like That on 13:57 - Jan 12 with 3114 viewsAntti_Heinola

Sad news. Top man, lovely bloke, did tremendous jobs at Villa and Watford. And a very decent pundit.

Bare bones.

Do I Not Like That on 14:07 - Jan 12 with 3076 viewsqprxtc

Cor, that's a turnip for the books.
Do I Not Like That on 14:08 - Jan 12 with 3070 viewsLongsufferingR

Very sad. Always liked him no matter how much the press tried to turn him into a figure of ridicule. First time I realised that taking the England job was like committing professional suicide.
Do I Not Like That on 14:36 - Jan 12 with 2982 viewsCFW

Sad news - that programme - Do I not like that is one of the funnest things ever shown on TV about football. He was a very funny man. RIP.
Do I Not Like That on 14:38 - Jan 12 with 2971 viewspaulparker

In the past I could never really forgave him for the terrible way he managed England and wasted the likes of Les, Paul Parker, Wilkins, Sinton, Bardsley, Wilson
but then you look back and think well at least he gave a damn , at least it killed him to see us not qualify or go out of the Euros, at least he stuck his neck on the line to be shot down he was proud to get the job and he never hung his players out to dry , you compare that to the likes of hodgson and capello who were in it for the dosh

but then on the other hand what a great club manager , proper old school gave a bollicking when it was needed and wasn't afraid to have a go back at those who went after him , would have loved to have seen him deal with Payet
Football lacks characters today its all tattoos , dolly birds, pink boots, super duper stadiums and how much you can cream , we have a lost a good un today a real muck & nettles football man
RIP Graham ,

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Do I Not Like That on 14:39 - Jan 12 with 2959 viewsBrianMcCarthy

That's a shame. Always came across as a really decent skin. Never liked his style of football, but no doubting he was a superb manager.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Login to get fewer ads

Do I Not Like That on 14:43 - Jan 12 with 2937 viewsElHoop

RIP Turnip Taylor.

My abiding memory of him is of those lovely trips to Watford when he was in charge and we almost always received a stuffing.
Do I Not Like That on 15:23 - Jan 12 with 2849 viewsSimonJames

Excellent club manager. Very sad. RIP

100% of people who drink water will die.

Do I Not Like That on 15:24 - Jan 12 with 2835 viewsbosh67

RIP. Much much better manager than he was ever given credit for. Nice bloke too by all accounts.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Do I Not Like That on 16:04 - Jan 12 with 2752 viewsCamberleyR

He had a superb start as England manager up until Euro 92, only one defeat in 20 matches to world champions Germany.

People tend to forget it was fine margins as well in the WC qualifiers, a late worldy by Norway at Wembley to nick a point and Wouters elbowing Gazza fracturing his cheek forcing him off where they also nick a point at Wembley, not to mention the Platt/Koeman incident in the away game.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Do I Not Like That on 16:08 - Jan 12 with 2741 viewsLongsufferingR

Do I Not Like That on 16:04 - Jan 12 by CamberleyR

He had a superb start as England manager up until Euro 92, only one defeat in 20 matches to world champions Germany.

People tend to forget it was fine margins as well in the WC qualifiers, a late worldy by Norway at Wembley to nick a point and Wouters elbowing Gazza fracturing his cheek forcing him off where they also nick a point at Wembley, not to mention the Platt/Koeman incident in the away game.

Yes, but according to our fine upstanding press, it's much more fun to call somebody a turnip or a wally with a brolly, go digging around for a throwaway remark they said 20 years ago, or entrap them before they've even been in charge for one game.

Fking journalists. What a noble profession it's become.
Do I Not Like That on 16:16 - Jan 12 with 2702 viewsMrSheen

Giving Waddle and Beardsley five caps between them in three and a half years didn't help.
Do I Not Like That on 16:17 - Jan 12 with 2690 viewsMaggsinho

Do I Not Like That on 16:16 - Jan 12 by MrSheen

Giving Waddle and Beardsley five caps between them in three and a half years didn't help.

Wasn't Waddle tearing up Europe with Marseille at the time as well?
Do I Not Like That on 16:20 - Jan 12 with 2681 viewsMrSheen

Do I Not Like That on 16:17 - Jan 12 by Maggsinho

Yep, but won his last England cap in 1991. Le Tissier didn't get a sniff either, though Taylor wasn't alone in his opinion of him.
Do I Not Like That on 16:27 - Jan 12 with 2649 viewsToast_R

It is fine lines but he did make some bad misjudgments during his England tenure.
Heading out of Euro 92 needing a goal to stay in and subbing Lineker for Alan Smith??
His Euro 92 squad... and leaving Ian Wright at home??
Do I Not Like That on 16:28 - Jan 12 with 2640 viewsLimerickR

A good man hounded and ridiculed by the media. Watch them fawn over him now.
Do I Not Like That on 16:30 - Jan 12 with 2636 viewsCamberleyR

He did have some odd selections and non-selections but he acknowledged what a good team we had at that time by giving Sinton, Bards and Les their debuts.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Do I Not Like That on 16:42 - Jan 12 with 2600 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Do I Not Like That on 16:17 - Jan 12 by Maggsinho

Waddle is a worshiped in Marseille the way Cantona is for United.
Do I Not Like That on 17:06 - Jan 12 with 2538 viewsbob566

Do I Not Like That on 16:08 - Jan 12 by LongsufferingR

Yes, but according to our fine upstanding press, it's much more fun to call somebody a turnip or a wally with a brolly, go digging around for a throwaway remark they said 20 years ago, or entrap them before they've even been in charge for one game.

Fking journalists. What a noble profession it's become.

they loved Bobby Robson and to a lesser extent Venebles.

Its kind of tragic though that they want the English team to fail.
Do I Not Like That on 17:11 - Jan 12 with 2521 viewsMrSheen

Do I Not Like That on 17:06 - Jan 12 by bob566

they loved Bobby Robson and to a lesser extent Venebles.

Its kind of tragic though that they want the English team to fail.

It took them a while to love Robson. "Go, In The Name Of Allah, Go!" after a 1-1 draw with Saudi Arabia, not to mention playing away in a hotel in Sloane Square.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2009/jul/31/sir-bobby-robson-media-england-
[Post edited 12 Jan 2017 17:13]
Do I Not Like That on 17:14 - Jan 12 with 2506 viewsFredManRave

Really shocking news. Wasn't aware that he had any health issues.

All things considered he seemed like a decent, level headed guy and it's obviously a sad loss for his family and friends.

RIP.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Do I Not Like That on 17:30 - Jan 12 with 2472 viewsDevonWhite

Two nice stories about him I've read this afternoon:

"Ian, a friend had cystic fibrosis which meant although he was an avid Villa fan his condition wouldn't allow him to get to a game. My Dad wrote to Villa, Steve Stride if he remembers rightly, to see if Ian could get along to Bodymoor Heath one day for a bit of a behind the scenes visit. Ian had several complications with his CF and wasn't expected to live into his 30s.

Graham Taylor replied personally to my old man (I'm now hoping somewhere at their home he's kept that letter, I did ask him!) promising to fulfil Ian's dream of meeting some players and watching them play & train. Well, I can't even begin to describe what SGT ended up doing with Ian. I know he spent the day at BH and was put up at The Belfry by Villa for a couple of nights with his family. They were picked up on the Saturday and travelled with the team on a Flights coach to an away game, memory is failing, can't remember which one but we think it was Middlesborough. Ian sat next to SGT all the way there and back, I've seen some old Polaroids of him playing cards with some of the players. This meant Ian was away from his family for about 24 hours, CF sufferers need to be massaged and helped with dealing with the mucus build up in the respiratory tract & lungs. Ian's Mum usually helped with this but SGT said if she showed him how to do it he'd make sure him and the physios dealt with it, she can have the day off.

Ian died about 6 months after that amazing experience.

SGT came to Ian's funeral, no mean feat considering it was in Surrey. On Ian's coffin was a picture of him laughing and smiling with SGT."

and

"I had just arrived at Aston Villa as a junior reporter in 2002 — working as a No.2 on the matchday programme with the illustrious Rob Bishop.

To be working in football was something that had my heart glowing — for it to be at Villa Park, home to some of my fondest memories as a teenager was another thing entirely.

Every morning brought a concoction of nervousness and delight as I made my way to my new workplace to learn my trade under ‘Bish’ — he of Birmingham Mail, Express & Star and Birmingham Post repute — and something of a legend on the patch.

Bish’s role on the News & Record was standard — as was mine.

Bish spoke to the manager for his column, the captain too while I worked on the more peripheral pages like News Desk, Junior Villans and the Visitors section.

So imagine my shock when ‘Bish’ suggested that I take care of the manager’s notes one week as he had been called away on a family event.

Tension was the only emotion I felt as I made my way to Bodymoor Heath to chat to Graham Taylor — ‘The Gaffer’ and a man of the highest standing in the game.

I waited furtively in the reception of the old training ground before being beckoned in.

First words from Graham could easily have been: “Wow your palms are sweaty”, “Are you old enough to be working, shouldn’t you be at school?”

Instead he smiled and roared out: “Great to meet you young man and welcome to Aston Villa.”

I listened spellbound as he explained: “You’ll do well here. And please don’t forget — Juan Pablo Angel is over there and Dion Dublin too. You’re just as important as them…you’re one of my team.”

I could barely believe my ears.

Graham and I had a chat for 30 minutes during which time he previewed the Sunderland game and discussed a range of other issues for his upcoming column.

As we finished, my mind raced with how I was going to ‘shape’ the column, how I was going to make it flow well and how I hoped I ‘got it right’.

As I walked away, he finished: “One last thing, just send the column through to my secretary Kathy on fax. I usually change one or two things when Bish writes it so give me a chance to check it.”

Several hours later…it felt like days…I typed in the numbers and the 600-word piece zoomed from Villa Park to Bodymoor Heath.

All other work took a back seat as I stared intently at my phone…when will it ring?

Tring…Tring…”Hello”…..”Hi Paul, it’s Kathy….Graham says that’s perfect, thank you very much, no changes.”

I couldn’t believe it. I had nailed it.

Several days later, I made my way into the Player’s Lounge, with Bish who had driven me, ahead of the pre-match press conference to listen in on Graham face the press.

We arrived early and GT meandered past us on his way back to his office.

“Ah, it’s One Take Brown!” he said as he patted me on the shoulder. “Hey Bish, this lad is good. You can learn a thing or two from him” before he winked at my celebrated partner-in-crime and walked off into the distance.

Remember, this was during a very, very difficult spell in his career with Villa fighting relegation.

He must have had so much on his plate.

But instead he took the time to put a young reporter at ease and welcome him into the Aston Villa family.

I will never forget it — and I will never forget Graham. A true gent!"
Do I Not Like That on 19:47 - Jan 12 with 2324 viewsMancR

Do I Not Like That on 17:30 - Jan 12 by DevonWhite

Two nice stories about him I've read this afternoon:

"Ian, a friend had cystic fibrosis which meant although he was an avid Villa fan his condition wouldn't allow him to get to a game. My Dad wrote to Villa, Steve Stride if he remembers rightly, to see if Ian could get along to Bodymoor Heath one day for a bit of a behind the scenes visit. Ian had several complications with his CF and wasn't expected to live into his 30s.

Graham Taylor replied personally to my old man (I'm now hoping somewhere at their home he's kept that letter, I did ask him!) promising to fulfil Ian's dream of meeting some players and watching them play & train. Well, I can't even begin to describe what SGT ended up doing with Ian. I know he spent the day at BH and was put up at The Belfry by Villa for a couple of nights with his family. They were picked up on the Saturday and travelled with the team on a Flights coach to an away game, memory is failing, can't remember which one but we think it was Middlesborough. Ian sat next to SGT all the way there and back, I've seen some old Polaroids of him playing cards with some of the players. This meant Ian was away from his family for about 24 hours, CF sufferers need to be massaged and helped with dealing with the mucus build up in the respiratory tract & lungs. Ian's Mum usually helped with this but SGT said if she showed him how to do it he'd make sure him and the physios dealt with it, she can have the day off.

Ian died about 6 months after that amazing experience.

SGT came to Ian's funeral, no mean feat considering it was in Surrey. On Ian's coffin was a picture of him laughing and smiling with SGT."

and

"I had just arrived at Aston Villa as a junior reporter in 2002 — working as a No.2 on the matchday programme with the illustrious Rob Bishop.

To be working in football was something that had my heart glowing — for it to be at Villa Park, home to some of my fondest memories as a teenager was another thing entirely.

Every morning brought a concoction of nervousness and delight as I made my way to my new workplace to learn my trade under ‘Bish’ — he of Birmingham Mail, Express & Star and Birmingham Post repute — and something of a legend on the patch.

Bish’s role on the News & Record was standard — as was mine.

Bish spoke to the manager for his column, the captain too while I worked on the more peripheral pages like News Desk, Junior Villans and the Visitors section.

So imagine my shock when ‘Bish’ suggested that I take care of the manager’s notes one week as he had been called away on a family event.

Tension was the only emotion I felt as I made my way to Bodymoor Heath to chat to Graham Taylor — ‘The Gaffer’ and a man of the highest standing in the game.

I waited furtively in the reception of the old training ground before being beckoned in.

First words from Graham could easily have been: “Wow your palms are sweaty”, “Are you old enough to be working, shouldn’t you be at school?”

Instead he smiled and roared out: “Great to meet you young man and welcome to Aston Villa.”

I listened spellbound as he explained: “You’ll do well here. And please don’t forget — Juan Pablo Angel is over there and Dion Dublin too. You’re just as important as them…you’re one of my team.”

I could barely believe my ears.

Graham and I had a chat for 30 minutes during which time he previewed the Sunderland game and discussed a range of other issues for his upcoming column.

As we finished, my mind raced with how I was going to ‘shape’ the column, how I was going to make it flow well and how I hoped I ‘got it right’.

As I walked away, he finished: “One last thing, just send the column through to my secretary Kathy on fax. I usually change one or two things when Bish writes it so give me a chance to check it.”

Several hours later…it felt like days…I typed in the numbers and the 600-word piece zoomed from Villa Park to Bodymoor Heath.

All other work took a back seat as I stared intently at my phone…when will it ring?

Tring…Tring…”Hello”…..”Hi Paul, it’s Kathy….Graham says that’s perfect, thank you very much, no changes.”

I couldn’t believe it. I had nailed it.

Several days later, I made my way into the Player’s Lounge, with Bish who had driven me, ahead of the pre-match press conference to listen in on Graham face the press.

We arrived early and GT meandered past us on his way back to his office.

“Ah, it’s One Take Brown!” he said as he patted me on the shoulder. “Hey Bish, this lad is good. You can learn a thing or two from him” before he winked at my celebrated partner-in-crime and walked off into the distance.

Remember, this was during a very, very difficult spell in his career with Villa fighting relegation.

He must have had so much on his plate.

But instead he took the time to put a young reporter at ease and welcome him into the Aston Villa family.

I will never forget it — and I will never forget Graham. A true gent!"

Brilliant post. I kinda hoped he would be that sort of bloke. RIP
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024