Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
First thoughts on the newbies.. 13:49 - Feb 2 with 4262 viewskarlski

...and Goss in particular (because we've seen Feeman play at this level for other clubs).

Despite his first touch being a bit of a Gerrard v Chelsea slip nightmare, his second was an absolute pinpoint accurate howitzer of a diagonal out to the left wing. He looked very encouraging: good touch and awareness, constantly moving into space to receive the ball and start things off, forward looking with his passes, and instinctively dropped back into the defensive line when cover was needed. We've obviously missed that type of player since Faurlin...

As for Freeman I didn't pay as much attention to him but also looks to have a good touch. Tried a few tricks that didn't really work, but signs of encouragement there too. Not sure what his best position might be, Goss looks like the base of a midfield three would suit him best, be interesting to see if he can play in a two (and who his partner might be).

Obviously loads of ups and downs to come but we may have made some decent additions in this window...

Matt Smith looked large on the bench!
First thoughts on the newbies.. on 13:57 - Feb 2 with 4224 viewsAntti_Heinola

I think the correct way to talk of debuts is thusly:

Did well / scored: Dream debut

No howlers: Showed some nice touches.

Own goal: Nightmare start.

Good to think about debuts? Best and worst?

Worst I imagine has to be Bob Malcolm (although De Canio did make a decent defence including him, amazingly, eventually).

Best - John Spencer? Gareth Ainsworth?

Bare bones.

First thoughts on the newbies.. on 14:00 - Feb 2 with 4205 viewsJamieNaz

Agree with you on Goss. Very brief appearance but can see the comparisons with Carrick. He was constantly in space to receive the ball. Could go either way that, as a large number of fans love to dig out the one player who wants the ball after we've been battered.

Freeman wears the number 2 which is completely unacceptable. He looked to be playing left side of midfield, which is where LuaLua was as well. They looked like two players who have never played together.

LuaLua concerns me. Not sure what he has that Shodipo doesn't?
First thoughts on the newbies.. on 14:33 - Feb 2 with 4102 viewsDWQPR

First thoughts on the newbies.. on 14:00 - Feb 2 by JamieNaz

Agree with you on Goss. Very brief appearance but can see the comparisons with Carrick. He was constantly in space to receive the ball. Could go either way that, as a large number of fans love to dig out the one player who wants the ball after we've been battered.

Freeman wears the number 2 which is completely unacceptable. He looked to be playing left side of midfield, which is where LuaLua was as well. They looked like two players who have never played together.

Freeman looked a bit lightweight on first evidence, cant remember him as a stand out player for Brizzle before, but early days. Goss, hopefully is the midfield general we have been missing all season. As far as LuaLua is concerned, he put over two very good crosses, one which led to the goal and one where Washington got very close to, that is encouraging with a big lump like Smith up front to get on the end of some balls. What I did like about LuaLua on Saturday is that he was always looking for the cut backed cross and it was a shame that our forwards and more particularly the likes of Luongo weren't on the same hymn sheet. But watching last night, especially with that Luongo header, arriving late that he might soon suss this out and get that long awaited goal for Rangers.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

First thoughts on the newbies.. on 15:53 - Feb 2 with 3881 viewskensalriser

Spot on noting LL's two excellent crosses there. We've been sorely lacking this kind of dangerous ball in from difficult positions. Once the other players get up to speed with what he can do we will benefit from more than just a freak own goal.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

First thoughts on the newbies.. on 15:57 - Feb 2 with 3861 viewsvegasranger

According to City fans he isn't really quick enough to play out wide. They seem to think he is best in the #10 free role.
First thoughts on the newbies.. on 16:11 - Feb 2 with 3802 viewsMedwayR

Goss - I'm going to defend him on the slip because I thought it was a rather poor pass that caught him out. The rest of the time he looked tidy, very left footed but it looks a wand of a left foot, and he tries to go forward with his passes. I could see him at the base of a midfield three with Manning and Luongo/Morrison either side of him. If played in a two I think him & Cousins would work well together.

Freeman - I'm not convinced by his signing because I don't think he's particularly good at this level and is better in the #10 role, so it kind of feels like we've already got all of that in Gladwin.

LuaLua - Lots of faffing about but decent delivery. What does he have that Shodipo doesn't - experience and probably a better engine, I'm not against getting LuaLua in to allow Shodipo to go out and get regular games and experience for the rest of the season.

Poll: Who’s better?

First thoughts on the newbies.. on 19:34 - Feb 2 with 3488 views100percent

the similarities of Goss with carrick were really obvious even though he was only on the pitch for 10/15 mins... he looked really comfortable on the ball and showed great vision.... really excited about the role he will play in the team.
I don't think we should get too vexed up about the Shodipo/lua Lua comparisons - Shodipo is our player and will come back with more experience under his belt and tear up the division. Lua Lua will be under the bigger pressure to prove that he wants to earn a contract. Win/win for me - Lua Lua puts in some great balls - whilst the own goal was a bit of a freak last night, the fact that he is putting balls into that space is more important - he brought the mistake out or them.
Freeman looked a little bit lost but again, he showed a few neat passes and linked up well. Once he is played in position he will flourish.
I thought last night was Washington's best game for us last night - he looked so much more confident that previous games....
All in all a solid performance - but we all want consistency - that will be the defining factor....
First thoughts on the newbies.. on 19:40 - Feb 2 with 3463 viewsmcqpr10

I thought Lua Lua was our best player against Burton. Has a trick and put some balls in. Not sure what more was expected of him?
Login to get fewer ads

First thoughts on the newbies.. on 19:58 - Feb 2 with 3412 views100percent

First thoughts on the newbies.. on 19:40 - Feb 2 by mcqpr10

I thought Lua Lua was our best player against Burton. Has a trick and put some balls in. Not sure what more was expected of him?

I think he will only get better with more game time.....
First thoughts on the newbies.. on 20:04 - Feb 2 with 3398 viewskarlski

First thoughts on the newbies.. on 19:34 - Feb 2 by 100percent

the similarities of Goss with carrick were really obvious even though he was only on the pitch for 10/15 mins... he looked really comfortable on the ball and showed great vision.... really excited about the role he will play in the team.
I don't think we should get too vexed up about the Shodipo/lua Lua comparisons - Shodipo is our player and will come back with more experience under his belt and tear up the division. Lua Lua will be under the bigger pressure to prove that he wants to earn a contract. Win/win for me - Lua Lua puts in some great balls - whilst the own goal was a bit of a freak last night, the fact that he is putting balls into that space is more important - he brought the mistake out or them.
Freeman looked a little bit lost but again, he showed a few neat passes and linked up well. Once he is played in position he will flourish.
I thought last night was Washington's best game for us last night - he looked so much more confident that previous games....
All in all a solid performance - but we all want consistency - that will be the defining factor....

Agree with all of this (although more in hope than expectation that Shodipo will tear the league apart! experience on loan will do him good though) and also that LuaLua was probably the pick against Burton - he got behind his full back and cut the ball back numerous times. But obviously a poor team performance.

Washington looks like the type who will flourish after a couple of goals and some confidence - I think he can really kick on from here. He's got the tenacity and ethic of Mackie with a bit more goal threat.

Let's hope Goss can stay injury free...not really much blame for the slip, it happened and he didn't let his head drop. It was an awful first moment though, Smithies to the rescue..

Praying for a similar performance v Blackburn.
First thoughts on the newbies.. on 20:06 - Feb 2 with 3387 views100percent

First thoughts on the newbies.. on 20:04 - Feb 2 by karlski

Agree with all of this (although more in hope than expectation that Shodipo will tear the league apart! experience on loan will do him good though) and also that LuaLua was probably the pick against Burton - he got behind his full back and cut the ball back numerous times. But obviously a poor team performance.

Washington looks like the type who will flourish after a couple of goals and some confidence - I think he can really kick on from here. He's got the tenacity and ethic of Mackie with a bit more goal threat.

Let's hope Goss can stay injury free...not really much blame for the slip, it happened and he didn't let his head drop. It was an awful first moment though, Smithies to the rescue..

Praying for a similar performance v Blackburn.

Its all about that illusive consistency, Karlski......
First thoughts on the newbies.. on 20:06 - Feb 2 with 3387 viewsbosh67

First thoughts on the newbies.. on 19:34 - Feb 2 by 100percent

Spot on, all of that.

A lot of Man U fans are completely vexed as to why they sold Goss to us when he was being groomed as Carrick's successor. We may have just got a bargain there.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

First thoughts on the newbies.. on 20:16 - Feb 2 with 3358 viewsBoston

I was very surprised to see how many teams Louie Louie had played for, I particularly enjoyed this appearance.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=motorhead+louie+louie&qft=+filterui%3amsite
[Post edited 2 Feb 2017 20:18]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

First thoughts on the newbies.. on 22:58 - Feb 2 with 3174 viewswombat

First thoughts on the newbies.. on 20:16 - Feb 2 by Boston

I was very surprised to see how many teams Louie Louie had played for, I particularly enjoyed this appearance.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=motorhead+louie+louie&qft=+filterui%3amsite
[Post edited 2 Feb 2017 20:18]

How's about this idea , Lua Lua, mackie . Washington as a sort of front 3

Poll: which is your favouite foot

First thoughts on the newbies.. on 23:03 - Feb 2 with 3159 viewsQPRinCT

First thoughts on the newbies.. on 14:00 - Feb 2 by JamieNaz

Not including the pass that set up the own goal, LuaLua turned the ball over five times. A pretty good Joey Barton imitation right there.
First thoughts on the newbies.. on 23:07 - Feb 2 with 3156 views1BobbyHazell

Very excited about Goss and the type of football his purchase indicates is coming.

A serious pair of (young) left pegs between him and Manning. Exciting.

Don't know much about Freeman but not sure we'll be playing a number 10 anytime soon.
First thoughts on the newbies.. on 23:42 - Feb 2 with 3097 views08olesen

The one thing that bugs me is that i dont think they have been signed with a formation in mind. If look at a lot of the best teams over the years they have stuck to a club formation. I think this would help all the youth players transition into the first team quicker.

These new lads appear to be quite a random bunch.

Personally i want to see Ravel as the heart of the team. I think his ability can lead to an Adel style year next season. We just need to find a way of playing him.

I think a team as follows would be good. With everyone fit. 343

...................Smithies
......Nedem...................Lynch
...................Hall/Goss
Furlong....Manning......Luongo..Bidwell
.......Pawel....................Morrison
.......................Sylla.................

That team has legs and will outwork any team.
Sad to lose Mackie, but i do think we need to be creating more in the final 3rd. Sylla has to be there to hold the ball up, and Pawel is the best player in the team at the moment.

Poll: Who will the other play off

First thoughts on the newbies.. on 23:44 - Feb 2 with 3087 viewsnix

First thoughts on the newbies.. on 20:06 - Feb 2 by bosh67

Spot on, all of that.

A lot of Man U fans are completely vexed as to why they sold Goss to us when he was being groomed as Carrick's successor. We may have just got a bargain there.

But haven't they got a buy back clause. Which just means they are in effect loaning him to us for three years, getting us to pay his wages and give him first team football and then buy him back if he looks like he's going to make it.

No real risk to them and we lose the chance to cash in. This is how the top five premiership clubs are taking away our chance to make decent money from developing players. They hoover up practically all the young talent now and loan them out, thus not having to pay their wages but can either slot the finished article into their team or make a decent profit by selling them to a second tier premiership team if they don't reach the highest levels.
First thoughts on the newbies.. on 23:50 - Feb 2 with 3074 viewsDannytheR

As much as you can draw conclusions from nine minutes, Goss has clearly got a lot of potential. (Everyone falls over, what was impressive was that he didn't hide for a second afterwards). As already mentioned though, he looks tailor made for a midfield three, and as good as he is, another player who dictates the whole the shape of the team as soon as you pick him. (Much like Chery did).

Could be great for us, and last night was cheering stuff. Still have no idea where the manager plans on putting all these players though, and we'd still be in all sorts of bother without Smithies. Extending his contract must surely be the most urgent bit of business the club could do between now and summer.

Also hope Cousins doesn't get thrown out with the bathwater. Still reckon he'll come good.

Still baffled by the point of LuaLua.
[Post edited 2 Feb 2017 23:54]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024