Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
6 Nations 2017 Thread 11:39 - Feb 3 with 16013 viewsrobith

A new thread for a new year. England look sure fire good things to me, though they'll need to win in Dublin which won't be easy.

France and Italy both look terrible.

Get all your posts about posh people in pubs out of the way now.

I know some of you have liked or been angered by my blogs in the past - I've tried to make it a proper thing now, so it's here. Let me know if that's not OK clive and I'll take it down, don't want to be stealing your traffic now:

https://thejackalist.wordpress.com/2017/02/03/robs-6-nations-preview/
6 Nations 2017 Thread on 17:09 - Feb 4 with 2674 viewsjohncharles

My predictions (yesterday) were that the first games this weekend will be close. Scotland v Ireland certainly was. England v France 3 - 3 at the moment. Wales must be favourites tomorrow but Italy have improved recently and are at home for the first game. Could br tricky.

Strong and stable my arse.

6 Nations 2017 Thread on 17:13 - Feb 4 with 2663 viewslondonscottish

6 Nations 2017 Thread on 16:14 - Feb 4 by SimonJames

Fantastic performance by Scotland!

Loved that.

(still gutted by the Rangers game though).

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

6 Nations 2017 Thread on 17:22 - Feb 4 with 2650 viewsjohncharles

6 Nations 2017 Thread on 16:14 - Feb 4 by SimonJames

Fantastic performance by Scotland!

Great game, a real cracker. England - France is pretty good too.

6 Nations 2017 Thread on 19:36 - Feb 4 with 2610 viewsSimonJames

6 Nations 2017 Thread on 17:22 - Feb 4 by johncharles

Great game, a real cracker. England - France is pretty good too.

France must be sitting in their changing room wondering how the Merde! they didn't win that.
Glad I didn't go to Twickers today.
The Celtic nations will quite rightly fancy themselves to win if England repeat that performance.

100% of people who drink water will die.

6 Nations 2017 Thread on 19:44 - Feb 4 with 2608 viewsBlackCrowe

This six nations will be won on fine margins. this was one of them. Think we'll do Italy with ease, just about scatch a win in cardiff, beat Scotland at home and then last match in Dublin, all bet's are off.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

6 Nations 2017 Thread on 10:47 - Feb 5 with 2492 viewsElHoop

Fascinating first couple of games yesterday. What I don't really understand is the advantage of the vastly superior physical force against a lesser but perhaps more nimble incisive canny outfit. As represented by the Scotland v Ireland game. Were Scotland just lucky to come across a slow starting Ireland or do they have a style of play which can combat the juggernauts? What will happen when Scotland play France? France looked bigger than England and possibly bigger than anyone in the tournament, yet that wasn't enough either at the end of the day. If you can keep the ball out of the scrum often enough then does size matter much at all? I'd genuinely be interested to know what you think.
6 Nations 2017 Thread on 17:34 - Feb 5 with 2434 viewsTGRRRSSS

Good win for Wales in what could have been a banana skin - especially first up.
I thought Italy acquitted themselves well early on but as Wales got on top and then got the YC (correctly) they took proper advantage, should have got a BPO try at the end butt Williams went for "Me before We which could be costly later on potentially.

I fear for Italy as I think that might've been there best chance, a Ireland next week licking their wounds after their loss at Murrayfield yesterday expect a hammering.
6 Nations 2017 Thread on 21:39 - Feb 5 with 2397 viewsrobith

6 Nations 2017 Thread on 10:47 - Feb 5 by ElHoop

Fascinating first couple of games yesterday. What I don't really understand is the advantage of the vastly superior physical force against a lesser but perhaps more nimble incisive canny outfit. As represented by the Scotland v Ireland game. Were Scotland just lucky to come across a slow starting Ireland or do they have a style of play which can combat the juggernauts? What will happen when Scotland play France? France looked bigger than England and possibly bigger than anyone in the tournament, yet that wasn't enough either at the end of the day. If you can keep the ball out of the scrum often enough then does size matter much at all? I'd genuinely be interested to know what you think.

Ireland were incredibly inaccurate in the opening 30 - made for a more broken up game which suited the Scottish backline. Secondly, a combination of factors. Ireland were lacking their usual intensity at the breakdown, and Scotland were absolutely wired there. Scotland's rush defence in the first half was wonderful and Ireland didn't mix the game up by chipping over the top - meant Ireland had really stodgy ball at constant risk of a turnover. Scotland absolutely had Ireland's number in the first 40
Login to get fewer ads

6 Nations 2017 Thread on 22:06 - Feb 5 with 2385 viewsjohncharles

Very pleased with the way we handled the early setback. Slipping and sliding in the first half.
Not too bothered about the bonus point. Won't be many in this time round. Strangely Italy can take heart from this hard and bloody game.
Stick with my original prediction that it's all going to be very close.

6 Nations 2017 Thread on 08:32 - Feb 6 with 2326 viewsElHoop

6 Nations 2017 Thread on 21:39 - Feb 5 by robith

Ireland were incredibly inaccurate in the opening 30 - made for a more broken up game which suited the Scottish backline. Secondly, a combination of factors. Ireland were lacking their usual intensity at the breakdown, and Scotland were absolutely wired there. Scotland's rush defence in the first half was wonderful and Ireland didn't mix the game up by chipping over the top - meant Ireland had really stodgy ball at constant risk of a turnover. Scotland absolutely had Ireland's number in the first 40

I wasn't sure whether Scotland sat back with the lead or were forced back. It seemed as if they stepped up again when they went behind anyway. Compared to Italy, Scotland had a dry ball to work with which probably meant fewer handling errors, and the way it looked to me handling errors lead to scrums and if you are weak there you then get penalties and yellow cards following on, so it's a downward spiral if you don't handle it well, which seemed to be Italy's fate. I'll never fully understand this game but it does intrigue me.

That lineout try for Scotland was amazing. Something that El Tel might have come up with had he been a rugby coach.
6 Nations 2017 Thread on 10:10 - Feb 6 with 2291 viewsSimonJames

6 Nations 2017 Thread on 10:47 - Feb 5 by ElHoop

It wasn't a surprise to me that Scotland turned over Ireland (and I won £30 at the bookies).
Vern Cotter has made a huge difference, and they are capable of big performances - they just need that extra bit of steely nerves to close out games they are winning. Although in this particular instance I think Finn Russell didn't seem himself after the head injury and I would have replaced him with Duncan Weir.
Also the team predominantly play for Glasgow Warriors, who have been in the top 3 of the Pro 12 for the past 5 years.
Actually I would have completely unflappable Greig Laidlaw as my scrum half over Youngs or Murray.

6 Nations 2017 Thread on 10:19 - Feb 6 with 2286 viewsSimonJames

I think Hartley and Marler need to be dropped for next weekend.
And Itoje will probably replace Launchbury in the 2nd row.
Also although Daly acquitted himself well I think Nowell will be back on the wing.

6 Nations 2017 Thread on 11:30 - Feb 6 with 2261 viewsrobith

6 Nations 2017 Thread on 08:32 - Feb 6 by ElHoop

I wasn't sure whether Scotland sat back with the lead or were forced back. It seemed as if they stepped up again when they went behind anyway. Compared to Italy, Scotland had a dry ball to work with which probably meant fewer handling errors, and the way it looked to me handling errors lead to scrums and if you are weak there you then get penalties and yellow cards following on, so it's a downward spiral if you don't handle it well, which seemed to be Italy's fate. I'll never fully understand this game but it does intrigue me.

That lineout try for Scotland was amazing. Something that El Tel might have come up with had he been a rugby coach.

The lineout try had me tearing my hair out - their inside centre is in the middle of the line out, anyone think perhaps we should mark him?
6 Nations 2017 Thread on 13:21 - Feb 6 with 2210 viewsSimonJames

6 Nations 2017 Thread on 11:30 - Feb 6 by robith

The lineout try had me tearing my hair out - their inside centre is in the middle of the line out, anyone think perhaps we should mark him?

I thought it was hilarious - likewise Italy's mini maul for their try.
Smaller teams showing inventiveness...

6 Nations 2017 Thread on 13:44 - Feb 6 with 2201 viewsheadhoops

with the exception of Italy looks like any one could beat anyone. Particularly enjoyed the Scottish win.

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

6 Nations 2017 Thread on 14:38 - Feb 6 with 2907 viewsAlbRanger

6 Nations 2017 Thread on 10:10 - Feb 6 by SimonJames

It wasn't a surprise to me that Scotland turned over Ireland (and I won £30 at the bookies).
Vern Cotter has made a huge difference, and they are capable of big performances - they just need that extra bit of steely nerves to close out games they are winning. Although in this particular instance I think Finn Russell didn't seem himself after the head injury and I would have replaced him with Duncan Weir.
Also the team predominantly play for Glasgow Warriors, who have been in the top 3 of the Pro 12 for the past 5 years.
Actually I would have completely unflappable Greig Laidlaw as my scrum half over Youngs or Murray.

Likewise, I thought Scotland may well turn Ireland over - will be interesting to see how the Irish cope. Personally I felt they were overrated - but so many far more knowledgeable than I (not just here) had it down as England and Ireland in either order for the top 2.

All the weekend has shown me is that 2-4 will be very hard to call.

Still think England will win. I reckon EJ will have learnt a lot and you'll see Marler, Haskell and Nowell back in the starting line up against the Welsh.

Can see France, Ireland and Scotland all beating each other so those 3 spots could go any way. Really impressed with the Scots and I hope they continue on their current trajectory.

I always felt Italy/Wales was the Wooden Spoon match and nothing from yesterday made me think otherwise.
6 Nations 2017 Thread on 10:48 - Feb 9 with 2816 viewsrobith

Really late this week as I've been doing a pitch at work which means a week of 7am starts and 2am finishes.

https://thejackalist.wordpress.com/2017/02/08/10-thoughts-on-six-nations-weekend
6 Nations 2017 Thread on 13:42 - Feb 10 with 2764 viewsTGRRRSSS

Some big games this weekend - England to win in Cardiff by 10-15 points

Ireland to destroy Italy by 25 plus.

Scotland to be gallant but lose to France by 7 or less.
[Post edited 10 Feb 2017 13:48]
6 Nations 2017 Thread on 13:49 - Feb 10 with 2756 viewsBlackCrowe

6 Nations 2017 Thread on 13:42 - Feb 10 by TGRRRSSS

That's worth a punt actually. Though i suspect the Wales Eng game will be closer.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

6 Nations 2017 Thread on 13:55 - Feb 10 with 2753 viewsTGRRRSSS

It probably is now you mention it but I get where your coming from on the Wales/ENg game by really 10 points isn't a huge amount for Rugby so could be tight with 3 points in it then a intercept try inside Englands 22 goes under posts - Farrel can put those over blindfolded and bingo you got your 10 points from a tight close game
6 Nations 2017 Thread on 14:23 - Feb 10 with 2744 viewsSimonJames

I think England will have to step up their game 2 or 3 gears from last week if they want to beat Wales (although obviously I hope they absolutely annihilate them).

I think Scotland will beat France, and I fear for Italy over the Irish backlash.

6 Nations 2017 Thread on 14:53 - Feb 10 with 2735 viewsAlbRanger

6 Nations 2017 Thread on 13:42 - Feb 10 by TGRRRSSS

Pretty much agree with this.

The one I've been undecided on is the France/Scotland game. I think the fact it is in Paris makes me go for the French win - reckon it'd be the other way round if it was in Murrayfield
6 Nations 2017 Thread on 15:01 - Feb 10 with 2730 viewsEastR

6 Nations 2017 Thread on 10:48 - Feb 9 by robith

Really late this week as I've been doing a pitch at work which means a week of 7am starts and 2am finishes.

https://thejackalist.wordpress.com/2017/02/08/10-thoughts-on-six-nations-weekend

Thanks robith, enjoyed that. There’s only queer fellas come from Dundalk!
Been taking a look at the handicap market for this weekend, there’s usually some value to be had:
France — 6 +6 Scotland
Italy +23 -23 Ireland
Wales +5 - 5 England
Of that lot I reckon Ireland won’t cover their handicap. The other 2 are too close to call on the evidence of last weekend.

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

6 Nations 2017 Thread on 15:55 - Feb 10 with 2702 viewsrobith

My early thoughts on this weekend having ruminated a bit.

I fancied Eng Wal to be close BUT Wales looked very susceptible to a good maul vs Italy, especially with Charteris injured. I don't think England will need to improve too much from being pretty bosh to secure a comfortable victory.

Ireland - Rory Best being hit by a stomach bug has really worried me. Scannell has been good for Munster but I get the feeling something isn't quite right in the squad. Schmidt, usually a picture of serenity and fair play is still going on about the bloody bus. This is giving me some ugly vibes

I want to back Scotland to win, but they were hanging on by their fingernails for 20 minutes vs Ireland and the French players are bigger and more direct. I think Scotland can move them around and use their pace to score tries, but the defensive effort required is going to be huge. France with a gutting late win with a front row try
6 Nations 2017 Thread on 07:39 - Feb 11 with 2647 viewsElHoop

Having backed Wales and Scotland outright and also France for the wooden spoon, it wasn't the worst of starts last week. I also backed Scotland to beat Ireland but will probably back France tomorrow if I play at all in that one, as a sort of hedge. I would fancy the points being high in that game so that might be a possibility.

Elsewhere, Wales v England looks tight. I'm not sure about England without Billy Vunipola - surely he's a big miss? OK Wales might not look that great, but they tend to find a way to make things difficult at the very least. Too hard to call in any way shape or form. I just hope that England can do it.

Italy v Ireland looks easy enough for Ireland, but it looks a dry day over there and relatively warm and maybe Italy won't make so many handling errors this time. In which case it might be pretty tight, so Italy on the handicap might be the play - I see Italy plus 15.5 points is about 5/2 on Betfair - worth a tenner I reckon.
[Post edited 11 Feb 2017 7:40]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024