Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
6 Nations 2017 Thread 11:39 - Feb 3 with 16341 viewsrobith

A new thread for a new year. England look sure fire good things to me, though they'll need to win in Dublin which won't be easy.

France and Italy both look terrible.

Get all your posts about posh people in pubs out of the way now.

I know some of you have liked or been angered by my blogs in the past - I've tried to make it a proper thing now, so it's here. Let me know if that's not OK clive and I'll take it down, don't want to be stealing your traffic now:

https://thejackalist.wordpress.com/2017/02/03/robs-6-nations-preview/
6 Nations 2017 Thread on 18:28 - Mar 18 with 1702 viewsHayesender

Dejavu happening in Dublin

Poll: Shamima Beghum

6 Nations 2017 Thread on 18:30 - Mar 18 with 1694 viewsFredManRave

6 Nations 2017 Thread on 18:28 - Mar 18 by Hayesender

Dejavu happening in Dublin

And not for the first time either.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

6 Nations 2017 Thread on 19:02 - Mar 18 with 1671 viewsMrSheen

6 Nations 2017 Thread on 12:04 - Feb 3 by MrSheen

France on the mend, Wales on the skids, Scots a real threat. Can see England, Ireland and Scotland taking a game off each other.

Don't say you weren't warned.
6 Nations 2017 Thread on 19:09 - Mar 18 with 1651 viewsMoonshineSteve

Considering how much had been said about that tournament finale, what a dull game.

I am still Steve but no longer in Dagenham.

6 Nations 2017 Thread on 08:23 - Mar 19 with 1538 viewsBlackCrowe

6 Nations 2017 Thread on 07:59 - Feb 4 by BlackCrowe

England
Ireland
France
Scotland
Wales
Italy

Should've put a fiver on it.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

6 Nations 2017 Thread on 15:56 - Mar 22 with 1402 viewsrobith

My thoughts on the end of the 6 Nations

https://thejackalist.wordpress.com/2017/03/22/six-nations-2017-just-a-bunch-of-s

A victory for Ireland that was both satisfying and hollow.

Thanks for all reading and commenting guys, legit taken aback by it all
6 Nations 2017 Thread on 16:18 - Mar 22 with 1382 viewsBlackCrowe

6 Nations 2017 Thread on 15:56 - Mar 22 by robith

https://thejackalist.wordpress.com/2017/03/22/six-nations-2017-just-a-bunch-of-s

Great read, thanks mate.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

6 Nations 2017 Thread on 01:37 - Mar 23 with 1311 viewsisawqpratwcity

Thanks for that.

And fwiw, I thought Ireland were going to win the tournament, and took no small satisfaction from them beating England.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Login to get fewer ads

6 Nations 2017 Thread on 07:32 - Mar 23 with 1280 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I'm very late to the RU party, and quite frankly still not sure what's going on half the time.

Great and amusing insight into it all. Well done.
6 Nations 2017 Thread on 08:08 - Mar 23 with 1271 viewsElHoop

Yeah that's a great write up thanks.

I didn't get to watch much of the England Ireland game for various reasons, but would have managed it had it mattered. So that's probably England's excuse too. Ireland wanted it, England had done it and there's the Lions tour. It's not rocket science blah blah. Unbeaten records? We kind of lost the moral right to that against Italy. We need to improve. There's something not very likeable about us too, as you referred to in your write up. That attitude can cost you injuries in games that don't really matter, as they'll kick the shite out of you for being c*nts, and hell knows it's hard enough being England at the best of times.

What about the Lions though? Should the side be dominated by England and Ireland? I suspect that it will be but doubt that it should. The best elements of Wales and Scotland seem more willing to run through brick walls and they're a bit less up themselves on first impressions. We shall see, but I'm not optimistic. Titsup here we come.
6 Nations 2017 Thread on 10:13 - Mar 23 with 1237 viewsrobith

6 Nations 2017 Thread on 08:08 - Mar 23 by ElHoop

Yeah that's a great write up thanks.

I didn't get to watch much of the England Ireland game for various reasons, but would have managed it had it mattered. So that's probably England's excuse too. Ireland wanted it, England had done it and there's the Lions tour. It's not rocket science blah blah. Unbeaten records? We kind of lost the moral right to that against Italy. We need to improve. There's something not very likeable about us too, as you referred to in your write up. That attitude can cost you injuries in games that don't really matter, as they'll kick the shite out of you for being c*nts, and hell knows it's hard enough being England at the best of times.

What about the Lions though? Should the side be dominated by England and Ireland? I suspect that it will be but doubt that it should. The best elements of Wales and Scotland seem more willing to run through brick walls and they're a bit less up themselves on first impressions. We shall see, but I'm not optimistic. Titsup here we come.

Maybe it's because Ireland have been so starved of them, but a grand slam is pretty prized thing, and no one's ever done back to backs in the 6N era. I find it so puzzling that England were as flat as they were. Any player should want to win a grand slam so badly. I suspect Jones told them to relax and they took it a bit too literally - I doubt Jones is very happy with the performance.

One thing with the Lions - Gatland was flagrantly biased towards his Welsh players last time out. There are some interesting calls - two of the national captains are hookers, but the form hookers are Welsh and England's sub. Also fitness - a fit Billy V walks into the Lions team, but an unfit Billy V looks the ineffectual mess we saw on Saturday

If you were looking purely at playing form from this 6N only I'd pick this

McGrath
Owens
Furlong
Launchbury
Lawes
Warburton
Tipuric
Stander
Murray
Sexton
Liam Williams
Farrell
Joseph
North
Hogg

Ireland - 5
England - 4
Wales - 5
Scotland - 1

But swap Billy V for Tipuric and England and Wales switch round. Also depends on the system - Engand work really well as a whole without having necessarily stand out performers, while Wales often were bad so players like Warburton, North shine brighter.

Although academic. The Lions will be lucky to get nil against the All Blacks
6 Nations 2017 Thread on 10:41 - Mar 23 with 1227 viewsElHoop

6 Nations 2017 Thread on 10:13 - Mar 23 by robith

Maybe it's because Ireland have been so starved of them, but a grand slam is pretty prized thing, and no one's ever done back to backs in the 6N era. I find it so puzzling that England were as flat as they were. Any player should want to win a grand slam so badly. I suspect Jones told them to relax and they took it a bit too literally - I doubt Jones is very happy with the performance.

One thing with the Lions - Gatland was flagrantly biased towards his Welsh players last time out. There are some interesting calls - two of the national captains are hookers, but the form hookers are Welsh and England's sub. Also fitness - a fit Billy V walks into the Lions team, but an unfit Billy V looks the ineffectual mess we saw on Saturday

If you were looking purely at playing form from this 6N only I'd pick this

McGrath
Owens
Furlong
Launchbury
Lawes
Warburton
Tipuric
Stander
Murray
Sexton
Liam Williams
Farrell
Joseph
North
Hogg

Ireland - 5
England - 4
Wales - 5
Scotland - 1

But swap Billy V for Tipuric and England and Wales switch round. Also depends on the system - Engand work really well as a whole without having necessarily stand out performers, while Wales often were bad so players like Warburton, North shine brighter.

Although academic. The Lions will be lucky to get nil against the All Blacks

I'd be surprised if England/Ireland only get 9, but you know far more about all this than I do. I guess I'm thinking that NZ will naturally have an estabished balance of ego, subordinacy and graft, whereas the Lions almost certainly won't have that balance.
6 Nations 2017 Thread on 10:55 - Mar 23 with 1219 viewsrobith

Well, that's my form pick - what I think Gatland *will* pick is

McGrath/Hartley/Furlong/Launchbury/AWJ/Stander/Warbs/Billy V/Murray/Sexton/North/Farrell/Joseph/Watson/Hogg

Which is 4/6/4/1
6 Nations 2017 Thread on 11:19 - Mar 23 with 1206 viewsPhildo

6 Nations 2017 Thread on 10:55 - Mar 23 by robith

Well, that's my form pick - what I think Gatland *will* pick is

McGrath/Hartley/Furlong/Launchbury/AWJ/Stander/Warbs/Billy V/Murray/Sexton/North/Farrell/Joseph/Watson/Hogg

Which is 4/6/4/1

AWJ out for at least 6 weeks so I doubt he will make the test side. Do you really think he would pick Hartley?

I loathe Gatland BTW,
6 Nations 2017 Thread on 12:19 - Mar 23 with 1179 viewsrobith

6 Nations 2017 Thread on 11:19 - Mar 23 by Phildo

AWJ out for at least 6 weeks so I doubt he will make the test side. Do you really think he would pick Hartley?

I loathe Gatland BTW,

Oh really, god I'm out of touch. Sad for him, but better for the Lions. Gatland 100% would pick him and if the Lions are to have any chance they need two English locks in there. Rettalick and Whitelock would devour AWJ.

A gobby Kiwi born wind up merchant of a hooker - Gatland is just a 53 year old Hartley. Dispiriting as it is I have no doubt he'll pick him sadly
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024