Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Turntablists 23:13 - Mar 28 with 8287 viewsPunteR

As vinyl has made a bit of a comeback ,just wondered what everyone has?
Im looking at buying a new pair of Audio Technicas LP120 USB. Got good reviews. Good price. Ticks all the boxes. Technics 1200s out of my price range really, they've gone up in price. The new ones £1500-£2000 just for one deck..!

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Turntablists on 00:35 - Mar 29 with 6674 viewsFredManRave

Once you're got back into the groove, so to speak, be sure to post a few soundcloud mixes...

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Turntablists on 07:33 - Mar 29 with 6612 viewssilky

Got 8 vinyl releases due this year for what I produce, so in short "YES!" It's making a massive come back and it's still very strong.

Still rocking my Technics 1200's MKII although I don't really DJ any more just produce!

Bought some lovely custom made slipmats with my Producing name and logo, very happy with them.

Poll: Do you think this current QPR team has got what is takes to go up this year?

Turntablists on 08:21 - Mar 29 with 6577 viewsLblock

Still got my Technic 1200's but they've not seen the light of day (or the moonlight) for many a month.
I must dust them off and get them serviced.

In fact, I've not bought a record for a very long time. I used to buy off of HTFR quote regular but not for at least 8 months now I'd say.

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Turntablists on 08:50 - Mar 29 with 6559 viewsOutWestR

Still using my 1210s, which are over twenty years old and still going strong. Would recommend not skimping on the cartridges too; you can have the best turntable in the world but it means nothing with crap needles.
Turntablists on 09:02 - Mar 29 with 6547 viewsHantsR

Deep in a cupboard upstairs I've got an old Thorens (TD165?) turntable I've had since mid-1970s - been stored away and little used. Considering its future - still got lots of vinyl but need to rationalise all old hi-fi as I use SONOS most of the time now
Turntablists on 09:14 - Mar 29 with 6532 viewspaulparker

a bit like my good friend Lblock , my old technics haven't seen the light of day for about 8 years either , still got my SL-1200 In the loft had them for over 25 years now and about 16 boxes of records
im afraid to say im so sh1t with modern technology that I wouldn't have clue to work the new stuff I can just about switch on my mobile phone these days

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Turntablists on 09:19 - Mar 29 with 6518 viewsToast_R

I was on the brink of buying a turn table as I really wanted to hear the sound quality. But having seen the price of vinyl I decided against it. £20 odd quid for an album? Have a word.
Then there's the storage issue in the house, just don't have the space for a collection which will no doubt be gathering dust most of the time.

Decided that digital music is still the best overall way to keep your music.
Turntablists on 09:41 - Mar 29 with 6496 viewsLblock

Just seen the mention of SONOS on here

There was a thread a while back on this where I was in twenty eight minds about whether to opt for this or not. In the end I went for it.
Have to say using SONOS has taken me back to the first time I used an iPod - I'm still in awe of it and am very, very slowly building up a system. My wifi network isn't the best so I invested in a BOOST on Monday which will hopefully remove the drop out frustration I have

Despite loving the digital platform I cannot see a day I'll ever get rid of my LP90 flight cases and the crackly classics contained therein

Login to get fewer ads

Turntablists on 10:58 - Mar 29 with 6440 viewsrobith

I've got some garbage turntable I got for £20 off gumtree. Does the job, but have my eyes on a Project one once I can stop going to the 900 weddings I'm invited to this year
Turntablists on 12:03 - Mar 29 with 6413 viewsColesIndyRs

Brought a Rega Planar P2 and dug out all the vinyl. Do yourself a favour and don't sign up to Discogs.com it is costing me fortune in impulse buys.

Also found out my Mrs has an exception collection including all the Nirvana releases in coloured vinyl. Puts my 80's Hip hop to shame.
Turntablists on 12:25 - Mar 29 with 6398 viewsrobith

Those Rega turntables are fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit
Turntablists on 12:33 - Mar 29 with 6392 viewsultramagnetic

Vinyl made a comeback? If never went for me
Turntablists on 12:56 - Mar 29 with 6375 viewsColesIndyRs

Turntablists on 12:33 - Mar 29 by ultramagnetic

Vinyl made a comeback? If never went for me

Mine only went away due to kids, now they are a more responsible age it is back out.
Turntablists on 13:06 - Mar 29 with 6362 viewsJuzzie

Whilst I agree the sound and warmth of vinyl is better, the fact I can have 7,000 songs on my Fiio X1ii DAP (would have got the X3 had it had bluetooth connectivity) means I don't need to faff around with blowing fluff off needles, turning a record over every 20-30 mins, changing LP's every 50-odd mins etc.

Having a 2 1/2 year old boy at home means I neither have the time nor the ability to do all this. Just turn on my DAP, connect via bluetooth to my Soundbase and off I go.

It would take the best part of 17 days (24 hours a day) before I needed to change it!
Turntablists on 13:39 - Mar 29 with 6347 viewsBrixtonR

That's seriously expensive PunteR !
I got 2 1210 MKII's back in '98 but still can't mix lol.
Got burgled in 2005 and they nicked one (ripping off the earthing wire to the mixer ha ha cnts) so got a replacement for that. Got a Stanton needle on one and a Ortofon cartridge on the other and the Ortofon is head and shoulders better (is newer though)

Split them off the mixer onto two systems a few years ago cos just didn't have room for the two decks and mixer together - needed the desk for working.....boring !

On the system downstairs (old school Arcam Amp n Mission speakers, Revox CD ) I sometimes listen to tracks through my PC and the difference if I play the same track on 12'' on the 1210's through the same system is unbelievable - it's like two different pieces of music. Massively noticeable on Thelma Houston You used to hold me so tight (Original 12'' from1985)and amazingly Let the Music Play - Shannon (Original 12'' from 1983). I don't know what it is but the 12's sound deeper and richer even against the same CD.
[Post edited 29 Mar 2017 13:47]
Turntablists on 14:22 - Mar 29 with 6304 viewsmarkqpr

3 x Technics SL-1200MKII - Two set up for mixing downstairs so I can keep an eye on the kids, 1 connected to the SP1200 in my studio
2 x Technics SL-1210MKII - Set up for mixing in my studio with Serato
1 x Rega Planar 2 - Set up in the lounge
1 x Project Essential 2 - Set up in the back room.
1 x Denon DP-200USB - Used for vinyl to digital conversion.
1 x Numark TTUSB - still boxed, emergency back up.

QPR FC & Vinyl For Life.
Turntablists on 15:49 - Mar 29 with 6260 viewswestberksr

Had a Linn Sondek LP12 in storage for about 15 years as I went digital; highly recommend Sonos for day to day stuff connected to spotify.

post divorce, my stereo guy suggested man caving the living room with a refurb of the Linn. So by the time I bought new speakers (Linn), amp & CD (pro-ject) serviced the LP12 I'm just over £2.5k out of pocket and I love it.

only problem with the Linn is it doesn't play 45's so I might need another for the 12" collection!
Turntablists on 17:58 - Mar 29 with 6208 viewsR_from_afar

I don't do any DJing (although a relative is in the entertainment business and when he isn't DJing, he's a sound and lighting engineer who works with bands, street artists and circuses; he recently got invited to South Africa to make an album. The jammy sod).

I have a massive hifi set up which Mrs R from Afar loathes because it's a dust magnet (and takes up too much room in the living room).

I like the ironic juxtaposition of a Pro-Ject record deck on top of a Yamaha hard disk recorder - two technologies about a hundred years apart. I still have a - gasp - tape deck on display. Granted, it is pretty crap...after all, it's a single not twin cassette model LOL.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Turntablists on 19:56 - Mar 29 with 6163 viewsPunteR

Turntablists on 14:22 - Mar 29 by markqpr

3 x Technics SL-1200MKII - Two set up for mixing downstairs so I can keep an eye on the kids, 1 connected to the SP1200 in my studio

QPR FC & Vinyl For Life.

Blimey, serious kit there fella.. What music do you play?

Fred- Thats the plan mate.

The cheapest i've seen 1200s go for on Ebay is around £350 for one. Ive put in a couple of cheeky bids at the £300 mark but usually get outbid. Ive owned both 1200s and 1210s over the years, big regret selling them. The problem buying 2nd hand as you never really know the condition of them as most are about 20 years old. Robust as they are they still need looking after. At the right price and condition I'm tempted.
Brand new Audio Technicas are going for £240 though. No idea how they play but look just like Technics and probably fine for what i need these days. Anybody out there tried them?
At the mo , i've just got a cheap as chips Kam deck , plugged into a 2 channel USB Numark mixer, which is linked to my PC (Spotify etc). Agree with Outwester that decent cartridges makes a big difference. Changed mine to Ortofon.
I looked at Sonos speakers but went for a pair of KRK Rokit 5 active speakers which are great.
Like paulparker i'm a bit behind on the digital front although i've recently downloaded Audacity(again!) so can record my vinyl straight onto that, then hopefully Soundcloud with a few mixes, once i've got my house finished and decorated lol. (thats the deal with missus)

Turntablists on 00:49 - Mar 30 with 6071 viewsPunteR

Turntablists on 07:33 - Mar 29 by silky

Got 8 vinyl releases due this year for what I produce, so in short "YES!" It's making a massive come back and it's still very strong.

Still rocking my Technics 1200's MKII although I don't really DJ any more just produce!

Bought some lovely custom made slipmats with my Producing name and logo, very happy with them.

Where can I buy your records from Silky?. I've heard your tunes before mate, liked it a lot. Are they the same old skool breakbeat stuff? Just bought Prodigy first release "What Evil Lurks" on Discogs.
I've also been tracking down Foul play - Finest illusion on 12"vinyl. Can't seem to find the original, just repres's. Do you know a good site that sells old dance vinyl other than Discogs.? Those old skool tracks can set you back a bit.
[Post edited 30 Mar 2017 7:13]

Turntablists on 06:16 - Mar 30 with 6031 viewsLblock

Turntablists on 00:49 - Mar 30 by PunteR

Where can I buy your records from Silky?. I've heard your tunes before mate, liked it a lot. Are they the same old skool breakbeat stuff? Just bought Prodigy first release "What Evil Lurks" on Discogs.
I've also been tracking down Foul play - Finest illusion on 12"vinyl. Can't seem to find the original, just repres's. Do you know a good site that sells old dance vinyl other than Discogs.? Those old skool tracks can set you back a bit.

Mate try HTFR.com or Juno. I use them and whilst they can be expensive you do get some good tunes and great service

Turntablists on 06:51 - Mar 30 with 6021 viewsPunteR

Turntablists on 06:16 - Mar 30 by Lblock

Mate try HTFR.com or Juno. I use them and whilst they can be expensive you do get some good tunes and great service

Cheers Lblock..I've been on Juno but not HTFR.com. I'll have a browse.. :)

Turntablists on 08:28 - Mar 30 with 5975 viewsDrewster

QPR FC & Vinyl For Life.

Funny I was going to start a thread on this subject the other day to look for advice.
Looking to upgrade from my 30yr old Technics SL-B210 and was considering a Rega Planar2 or the Project Debut Carbon. Any advice on which to go for?
Turntablists on 09:12 - Mar 30 with 5963 viewssilky

Turntablists on 00:49 - Mar 30 by PunteR

Hey PunteR,

Thanks for the support fella, really appreciate it.

Yes my works are all breakbeat related, under the Breakbeat Hardcore, Jungle Techno umbrella.
Unfortunately Discogs & Ebay are your best bet for Old Skool vinyl, if you like the newer take on Old Skool with the occasional vintage Old Skool records then Redeye is a great site....

https://www.redeyerecords.co.uk/home/

I don't buy vinyl any more, I just receive Test Presses and Full Releases of my works from the labels I deal with.
Lots of label owners are selling through their own bandcamp pages.

I have about 4-5 copies left of my first ever EP back in 2011 which if you want to listen to it it's on the Discogs page, that's more Breakbeat House, Techno at a slower pace
https://www.discogs.com/Worldwide-Epidemic-Worldwide-Epidemic-EP/master/391155

One of my more recent releases last year
https://www.discogs.com/Worldwide-Epidemic-The-Waveshaper-EP/master/1034791
https://soundcloud.com/silky1122/worldwide-epidemic-the-waveshaper-ep-7th-12009-

I am also doing a charity vinyl which is a 4 track EP with 3 other artists. Once pressing costs are covered all proceeds with go to the Charity "MIND" which is a great cause, details are here
https://djflow-uk.bandcamp.com/album/osrt-recordings-volume-1

Apologies for the self indulgence everyone I don't often do this sort of spamming I personally hate it, but hope you enjoy.

Oh and here is the rig if you are interested in my setup! :D

Poll: Do you think this current QPR team has got what is takes to go up this year?

Turntablists on 09:28 - Mar 30 with 5950 viewssilky

QPR FC & Vinyl For Life.

Love the SP1200, great machine.

I have an Akai S950, the two go hand in hand. So much hip hop was done with just these two machines! :D

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024