Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New CBs? 14:44 - May 2 with 8435 viewsJigsore

Saw Ryan Bennett is going to be released this summer by Norwich. 27 is a decent age. Thoughts? Anyone else you're eyeing up?

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

New CBs? on 15:01 - May 2 with 6136 viewsToast_R

Aden Flint at Bristol City. Player of the season with them last season, bought him for 300K I see from Swindon and you'd think he'd be affordable.

Gave Matt Smith no quarter at theirs recently and we desperately need a CB who can do that no nonsense stuff.

I'd make him captain too. Captain Flint.... get it?
New CBs? on 15:04 - May 2 with 6131 viewsNorthernr

There's a reason Norwich have released their goalkeeper and most of the defenders in front of him.

Do like Flint.
New CBs? on 15:04 - May 2 with 6129 viewsTheJudge

I've always like the Boro CB tall fella Daniel Ayala
New CBs? on 15:11 - May 2 with 6104 viewsDannytheR

Grant Hanley, Luke Chambers, Tommie Hoban, Tommy Elphick...

Any of them would be an improvement on what we've seen of Lynch this season, although none of them will be unless our defensive coaching encourages it. We have had a knack for some time now of taking defenders from previously solid back fours at other clubs and making them look a shambles at ours.
New CBs? on 15:33 - May 2 with 6038 viewsenfieldargh

New CBs? on 15:11 - May 2 by DannytheR

Grant Hanley, Luke Chambers, Tommie Hoban, Tommy Elphick...

Any of them would be an improvement on what we've seen of Lynch this season, although none of them will be unless our defensive coaching encourages it. We have had a knack for some time now of taking defenders from previously solid back fours at other clubs and making them look a shambles at ours.

Chatting with a Villa fan after the game last month, said that Elphick was hopeless

But then again so are most Villa defenders

I like Tom Clake Defender and Jordan Hurgill Forward at PNE

Marley Watkins Barnsley Forward

Most Brentford players

Dan Burn Wigan Def

Aaron Mooy Huddersfield(wont get him)

Sam Gallagher Blackburn/Saints forward

Yes to Flint

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

New CBs? on 15:47 - May 2 with 5994 viewsDannytheR

Talking of Villa, apparently they have that absolute rock of a centre back Chris Samba on trial at the moment.

Can't believe he's a free agent. Was so immense at Blackburn. I lost track of him after that though, wonder what happened...
New CBs? on 16:18 - May 2 with 5911 viewsWadR

Like Luke Chambers (out of contract this summer I think) and Tom Clarke as shouts for a no nonsense centrehalf. Ayala I've always liked too, but presumably he'll be Boro's first choice again when they inevtiably lose Gibson.

Think Flint would be out of our price range and seems to be attracting interest from bigger clubs. Realistically, we should be looking for an equivalent to when he moved from Swindon to City.

Don't watch enough League 1 football but Ryan Sweeney has been brilliant for Bristol Rovers, along with Lumley they've massively tightened up a very leaky defence, and is a realistic loan signing from Stoke.

Not a Centreback, but Eric Lichaj is out of contract at Forest, has been one of their better players and would be an upgrade on Perch, offering good compettion to Furlong.
New CBs? on 16:22 - May 2 with 5892 viewsparker64

New CBs? on 15:47 - May 2 by DannytheR

Talking of Villa, apparently they have that absolute rock of a centre back Chris Samba on trial at the moment.

Can't believe he's a free agent. Was so immense at Blackburn. I lost track of him after that though, wonder what happened...

Alot of games merge into one over the years, but Samba's display at Fulham that night still stands out.
Login to get fewer ads

New CBs? on 16:57 - May 2 with 5816 viewsDorse

New CBs? on 15:47 - May 2 by DannytheR

Auto-correct fail there Danny. I think you meant 'absolute cock of a centre back Chris Samba'.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

New CBs? on 17:00 - May 2 with 5813 viewsCroydonCaptJack

New CBs? on 16:22 - May 2 by parker64

Alot of games merge into one over the years, but Samba's display at Fulham that night still stands out.

Horrific wasn't it.
New CBs? on 17:33 - May 2 with 5745 viewsHarbour

Beevers from Bolton but doubt they would let him go
New CBs? on 18:13 - May 2 with 5634 viewsderbyhoop

New CBs? on 15:33 - May 2 by enfieldargh

Chatting with a Villa fan after the game last month, said that Elphick was hopeless

But then again so are most Villa defenders

I like Tom Clake Defender and Jordan Hurgill Forward at PNE

Marley Watkins Barnsley Forward

Most Brentford players

Dan Burn Wigan Def

Aaron Mooy Huddersfield(wont get him)

Sam Gallagher Blackburn/Saints forward

Yes to Flint

With all due respect to our friend Konk, there's a reason why Fulham let Burn go to relegated Wigan. About as much use as a barge pole, which he resembles.

I like Flint but we'll out of our price range. Suspect Evil Les may already have someone in mind. Hope so.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

New CBs? on 22:15 - May 2 with 5422 viewsWatford_Ranger

I think Flint is destined for bigger things than us and would command a big fee with probably bigger suitors.

Newcastle will be looking to get rid of loads of solid Championship players- Hanley is a good shout but he's probably on frightening wages there. Ditto for anyone looking at someone like Daryl Murphy who won't get near the team there but is probably on at least double what any other club would pay.
New CBs? on 22:20 - May 2 with 5413 viewsenfieldargh

Also Billy Bodin one for the evil gasheads connection

captains fantastic

New CBs? on 10:06 - May 4 with 5018 viewsdodge_stoke_r

Nathan Smith at Port Vale. Only 21 and yes they have been relegated. But mates of mine say he has the makings of a really decent center half.
New CBs? on 12:48 - May 4 with 4894 viewsDando

Agreed that we need new defenders, but got a bad feeling Ollie will stick with Lynch as seems to be a bit of an Ollie player. I thought he started reasonably well for us, but has become clumsy and awful distribution. Hope hes a squad player at best next year. Same goes for Bidwell who is not the worst player in the world but very limited
New CBs? on 15:36 - May 4 with 4779 viewspaulparker

Bassong who I think is being released by Norwich is still only 30 him ned and Hall at the back could be decent
down the leagues David Buchannan is very decent at Northampton
im also a big fan of jake cooper at Millwall
or maybe cian bolger at Fleetwood

if we were to break the bank 9which we wont ) then Kalas who is on loan at Fulham from Chelsea would be the man to get

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

New CBs? on 15:47 - May 4 with 4762 viewsBromleyHoop

I wouldn't personally be inclined to take anyone that was being 'released' by a fellow Championship team. If they're not good enough for a competitor then why would we have them?

Poll: Who is your player of the season

New CBs? on 15:49 - May 4 with 4755 viewspaulparker

New CBs? on 15:47 - May 4 by BromleyHoop

I wouldn't personally be inclined to take anyone that was being 'released' by a fellow Championship team. If they're not good enough for a competitor then why would we have them?

TBF didn't we pick up Hill & Derry on frees ?

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

New CBs? on 17:01 - May 4 with 4690 viewsWadR

New CBs? on 15:47 - May 4 by BromleyHoop

Because that's a bit simplistic. As PP says, Hill and Derry were free signings considered over the hill by Palace fans (and a lot of QPR fans) but were integral to our promotion and subsequent survival. Hill's probably the best value signing we've made in the last 10 years relative to transfer fee/wages.

If we're cutting our cloth, we can't afford to just sign the best of the Championship. We need to be looking to sign those who haven't quite made it at big clubs (e.g. Hall) or the best of lower divisions (Luongo) or, sometimes look for value in players who are unwanted at Championship clubs.

It's a potentially good market, Tom Lees wasn't wanted by Leeds and was picked up cheap by Sheff Wed - now one of the best centre halves outside the prem. Sone Aluko, released by Hull, been superb for Fulham. Ipswich obviously been poor this year, but their play-off season - their whole team was basically free signings from other Championship sides - McGoldrick, Chambers, Murphy.

Of course, all that said, there's a hell of a lot of dross that we should rightly be avoiding. Kyle Lafferty, I'm looking at you.
New CBs? on 20:00 - May 4 with 4593 viewsBromleyHoop

Derry had been offered a new contract by Palace which he declined in order to sign for QPR so a totally different set of circumstances to being 'released' which implies that the player is unwanted. Hill...I'll give you that, but he is exceptional. 7 years later and still playing.
[Post edited 4 May 2017 20:32]

Poll: Who is your player of the season

New CBs? on 21:29 - May 4 with 4526 viewsenfieldargh

New CBs? on 15:36 - May 4 by paulparker

Bassong who I think is being released by Norwich is still only 30 him ned and Hall at the back could be decent

if we were to break the bank 9which we wont ) then Kalas who is on loan at Fulham from Chelsea would be the man to get

if your keen on Bassong then you must think our Ned is Franz Beckenbauer.

Please also read Clives Norwich City interview piece.

Whenever Ive seen Bassong I'm reminded of the custard pie fight scene in bugsy malone

captains fantastic

New CBs? on 14:59 - May 5 with 4352 viewsphilc

New CBs? on 10:06 - May 4 by dodge_stoke_r

Nathan Smith at Port Vale. Only 21 and yes they have been relegated. But mates of mine say he has the makings of a really decent center half.

I've just googled Nathan, it would appear he won every player of the year award for Port Vale.. 5 in total, he may be worth looking at.
New CBs? on 15:01 - May 5 with 4348 viewsNorthernr

New CBs? on 15:36 - May 4 by paulparker

Bassong?!
New CBs? on 15:08 - May 5 with 4331 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

New CBs? on 14:59 - May 5 by philc

I've just googled Nathan, it would appear he won every player of the year award for Port Vale.. 5 in total, he may be worth looking at.

Sort of player we should be going for, but I'll give it 20 minutes before some armchair commentator says 'league 1 his level'.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024