Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Characters 14:35 - Jun 1 with 5466 viewsToast_R

See Marc Bircham's interview yesterday about the recruitment this summer and that the type of players they are looking for and that rather then having talent, the players they're looking for have to be "characters" and "personality being massive".

I'm starting to worry, really I am. I get the whole dressing room thing and that but the way QPR were so well short of talent and quality last season I'm not sure a tight dressing room will completely cut the mustard for next season. "We're going down but at least we're all having a good laugh about it".
I'd rather have some boring professionals who let their football do the talking then a team of Jimmy Bullards.

I dunno, I might be being paranoid but I get this horrible feeling that this whole setup is going to blow up in our faces and forever tarnish some good names.

[Post edited 1 Jun 2017 14:37]
Characters on 14:37 - Jun 1 with 3867 viewseghamranger

Be a bit like the finals of Britains got talent... all characters but none of them much good!!
Characters on 14:40 - Jun 1 with 3854 viewsDannytheR

It was a pretty bizarre interview for the club to put out. You can say what he presumably wanted to say without making it seem like "talent" is a dirty word.

I think what "characters" means is the owners hoping they can distract attention from their dwindling support of us financially by bringing in some "right sort"/badge kissing types.
[Post edited 1 Jun 2017 14:41]
Characters on 14:45 - Jun 1 with 3833 viewskingsburyR

Gotta love a serial badge kisser!!!

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Characters on 14:58 - Jun 1 with 3806 viewscaliforniahoop

Characters on 14:45 - Jun 1 by kingsburyR

Gotta love a serial badge kisser!!!

I refuse to watch a video with MB talking about recruitment, not good, I hope I am wrong but we will struggle with these two at the helm, Hooped legends for sure, but not the people to carry the club forward!

My biggest concern is that we will waste the best group of young players at the club in years!
Characters on 14:59 - Jun 1 with 3803 viewsdaveB

He never said character rather than talent he said you want talent but you also need characters.

We talk on here a lot about lacking leaders yet when Bircham says we need these kind of players with personality and character in the dressing room it goes the other way and suddenly he's wrong.

I don't think when he talks of personality he is looking for someone to perform a comedy act, it's more having the personality to be brave on the ball and fight when things are not going well.
[Post edited 1 Jun 2017 15:05]
Characters on 15:10 - Jun 1 with 3772 viewsTheChef

Characters on 14:59 - Jun 1 by daveB

He never said character rather than talent he said you want talent but you also need characters.

We talk on here a lot about lacking leaders yet when Bircham says we need these kind of players with personality and character in the dressing room it goes the other way and suddenly he's wrong.

I don't think when he talks of personality he is looking for someone to perform a comedy act, it's more having the personality to be brave on the ball and fight when things are not going well.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. As per usual.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Characters on 15:10 - Jun 1 with 3771 viewsToast_R

Characters on 14:59 - Jun 1 by daveB

You say that but knowing that Gallen and Birch were known as the chuckle brothers and that he always has a cheeky Chappy "little racal" funny story to tell down the pub about his time at Rangers, you can't help but wonder what "personality being massive for us" actually relates to.

Why not say leaders, good professionals, lead by example etc?
Characters on 15:17 - Jun 1 with 3747 viewsJamesB1979

Basically just saying "right sort". Same message since Mark Hughes days, just different manager. Talent secondary to running around a lot. All to be ready for the hardest pre-season ever take 3.
Login to get fewer ads

Characters on 15:31 - Jun 1 with 3725 viewsWrightUp5hit___

It's a bit like when we signed the furore when we signed that sublimely talented pair, Sean Derry and Clint Hill.

All the talent in the world, but no personality.
Characters on 15:34 - Jun 1 with 3715 viewsJamesB1979

Characters on 15:31 - Jun 1 by WrightUp5hit___

It's a bit like when we signed the furore when we signed that sublimely talented pair, Sean Derry and Clint Hill.

All the talent in the world, but no personality.

We had Ale Faurlin and Adel though too. Bit of balance needed. In faurlin someone who had talent and the other 2 traits. And we had Akos as well. Plenty of talent in that side.
[Post edited 1 Jun 2017 15:37]
Characters on 16:31 - Jun 1 with 3614 viewsLblock

I kind of agree with Birch as we sorely lake players with the right character to sustain a mammoth battle in the Championship or anywhere else for that matter.
I do think you can easily survive at this level with a hard running fighting squad; but surely we want more than that? Everyone connected with the club wants a bit more skill combined with it all dont they? Or was the chat around that table really Foney Tony and Amit shrugging their shoulders and saying "we've done our load - make your targets cheap and agricultural"..?????????

I'll accept a few battlers -- the only characters we have currently (bar one or three) seem to be from cartoons and just jokers.
I'd take a Lee Cattermole "right 'orrible fukka" in there and a young Clint Hill Mk II and add a sprinkle of Freeman plus two more skillz players who work hard. They are however far from cheap or available

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Characters on 16:40 - Jun 1 with 3592 viewsdaveB

Characters on 15:10 - Jun 1 by Toast_R

You say that but knowing that Gallen and Birch were known as the chuckle brothers and that he always has a cheeky Chappy "little racal" funny story to tell down the pub about his time at Rangers, you can't help but wonder what "personality being massive for us" actually relates to.

Why not say leaders, good professionals, lead by example etc?

They were a laugh in the dressing room but they were also good players.

Whatever he said someone would pick holes in it
Characters on 16:49 - Jun 1 with 3573 viewsHooped_Pullie

To be fair, Brighton & Huddersfield put an element of success down to the player's personal qualities too, so I wouldn't completely discount the value of 'character'.

However, sitting in Ellerslie a few weeks back at the Forest game and seeing the big screen given over to Al Pacino speechifying in 'Any Given Sunday' was borderline embarrassing in 2017. Up and At 'Em worked up to a point fifteen years ago, but it's a different world now, including for footballers. Watched a fascinating interview with Marcus Rashford before the Europa Final last week - only a very young chap, but thoughtful, intelligent and clearly looking for a more complex level of guidance from those who were leading him. I don't think he's unique either, the players of today seem to have more between their ears generally than they used to, though I'm sure there's still a few not troubling the Mastermind big chair.

The Howes and the Dyches know this and manage accordingly - can we get by without it ?
Characters on 16:55 - Jun 1 with 3553 viewsSimonJames

Heaven forbid we recruit the sort of dullards that turn into the next Ronaldo or Messi.

100% of people who drink water will die.

Characters on 17:07 - Jun 1 with 3520 viewsNov77

Bircham and Ollie

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Characters on 17:15 - Jun 1 with 3497 viewsTacticalR

What about the players who are already here? Should they be sent on character building courses? Or will cold showers do the trick?

Air hostess clique

Characters on 17:16 - Jun 1 with 3490 viewsdaveB

Dyche and Howe both regularly talk about not only scouting talent but making sure they have the right characters in the squad. When they say it they are a progressive young manager, when Bircham and Holloway say it our own fans call them dinosaurs.
Characters on 18:56 - Jun 1 with 3336 viewsHunterhoop

Characters on 17:16 - Jun 1 by daveB

Dyche and Howe both regularly talk about not only scouting talent but making sure they have the right characters in the squad. When they say it they are a progressive young manager, when Bircham and Holloway say it our own fans call them dinosaurs.

Well, not all our fans, Dave, but, yes, certainly some.

I must say my first reaction was similar to Danny's. Why put it out? Whenever you talk about wanting to bring in new players, whether it's characters, a bit more quality, numbers, whatever, you're basically saying the crop you have isn't good enough, and doesn't have the traits you want. It may be true and accurate, but it's not great management to say it!

It's a very delicate message. I'm not convinced of the need or wisdom to shout it from the rooftops. Just get on with it, and focus on how you manage the current players well, in conjunction with this approach.
Characters on 20:50 - Jun 1 with 3189 viewsdaveB

Characters on 18:56 - Jun 1 by Hunterhoop

Well, not all our fans, Dave, but, yes, certainly some.

I must say my first reaction was similar to Danny's. Why put it out? Whenever you talk about wanting to bring in new players, whether it's characters, a bit more quality, numbers, whatever, you're basically saying the crop you have isn't good enough, and doesn't have the traits you want. It may be true and accurate, but it's not great management to say it!

It's a very delicate message. I'm not convinced of the need or wisdom to shout it from the rooftops. Just get on with it, and focus on how you manage the current players well, in conjunction with this approach.

every club in the world does it though and talks about who they want to sign, they can't all be wrong.

I watched the interview and saw nothing wrong with it, does seem to me that whatever is said the pitch forks come out. Still we'll have a new manager at some stage next season for people to get angry at
Characters on 20:53 - Jun 1 with 3187 viewsHunterhoop

Characters on 20:50 - Jun 1 by daveB

every club in the world does it though and talks about who they want to sign, they can't all be wrong.

I watched the interview and saw nothing wrong with it, does seem to me that whatever is said the pitch forks come out. Still we'll have a new manager at some stage next season for people to get angry at

Agree that pitchforks are out to a small extent.

Disagree on the other point. All clubs may do it, but I still think it's stupid, unnecessary, and not good man management. We are allowed to be different from other clubs.
Characters on 21:40 - Jun 1 with 3111 viewsichbinnaughty

I find it all a bit embarrassing.
Characters on 21:55 - Jun 1 with 3069 viewsdaveB

Characters on 20:53 - Jun 1 by Hunterhoop

Agree that pitchforks are out to a small extent.

Disagree on the other point. All clubs may do it, but I still think it's stupid, unnecessary, and not good man management. We are allowed to be different from other clubs.

When you hear from players though they are saying the same thing that the are looking forward to new players coming in. If he was saying the current lot are crap and we're going to replace them all then fair enough thats stupid but to say they want to add a few good characters to the squad to help the current ones out, I really don't see the problem
Characters on 23:36 - Jun 1 with 2958 viewsHunterhoop

Characters on 21:55 - Jun 1 by daveB

When you hear from players though they are saying the same thing that the are looking forward to new players coming in. If he was saying the current lot are crap and we're going to replace them all then fair enough thats stupid but to say they want to add a few good characters to the squad to help the current ones out, I really don't see the problem

Well, to a degree he is implying that!

Look, it's nothing out of the ordinary for football. And it's not a major deal.

However, having managed large teams in a number or roles, it just doesn't sit well with me as an approach. In any other walk of life it would be considered poor man management and not a leadership approach. I don't think football is that different. It's predominantly still about people.
Characters on 23:40 - Jun 1 with 2948 viewsmcqpr10

We really need characters. We need two centre backs who win headers and a centre mid who puts his foot in and can get about the pitch.
Characters on 23:46 - Jun 1 with 2929 viewsHunterhoop

Characters on 23:40 - Jun 1 by mcqpr10

We really need characters. We need two centre backs who win headers and a centre mid who puts his foot in and can get about the pitch.

Don't think anyone disagrees, it's just you don't need to go shouting about it publically. What benefit does it have? What about the players you'll still have to work with? Presumably they're not all the right characters. Good way to build trust, this approach. Just keep it to yourself and get on bringing them in, whilst getting the best from your current squad.

We cannot afford to, nor should look to, overhaul this squad.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024