Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Underrated Films 22:15 - Jun 7 with 7248 viewsBrianMcCarthy

This is a truly awful trailer, but it's a great film. Joyous and evocative, then dark. As you'd expect from Chris Menges, cinematographer on 'The Mission' and Director here, it's visually stunning. Add in superb music, a gripping story and fine acting from many names on the up and it's a cracking bit of cinema.

Every bit as good, I would suggest, as Attenborough's more celebrated 'Cry Freedom'. Perhaps better.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Underrated Films on 22:51 - Jun 7 with 4158 viewsHooped_Pullie

I fully agree with you that 'A World Apart' is a great movie, for me so is 'Cry Freedom'. I remember seeing 'A World Apart' on the day it was released at the Curzon Shaftesbury Avenue in the time when that was a lovely single-screen cinema.

You've chosen to have this thread about underrated films, of which there are legion : it could also be all about great films with appalling trailers (as you've shown here) - I recently saw the original trailer for 'Blade Runner' which does that great classic no favours whatsoever.
Underrated Films on 22:54 - Jun 7 with 4145 viewsbosh67

Good call.

Sex Lies And Videotape (simple, a bit creepy and beautifully acted)
10 Cloverfield Lane (see above)
Skywest And Crooked (Hayley Mills and Ian McShane totally brilliant)
Being There (Peter Sellers best and final work)

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Underrated Films on 23:02 - Jun 7 with 4126 viewsHooped_Pullie

A few to add :

'Manhunter'
"To Live & Die In LA' (both starring William Petersen)

And the truly great "Internal Affairs' - Richard Gere & Andy Garcia classic.

So many more...
Underrated Films on 23:28 - Jun 7 with 4088 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Underrated Films on 22:51 - Jun 7 by Hooped_Pullie

I fully agree with you that 'A World Apart' is a great movie, for me so is 'Cry Freedom'. I remember seeing 'A World Apart' on the day it was released at the Curzon Shaftesbury Avenue in the time when that was a lovely single-screen cinema.

You've chosen to have this thread about underrated films, of which there are legion : it could also be all about great films with appalling trailers (as you've shown here) - I recently saw the original trailer for 'Blade Runner' which does that great classic no favours whatsoever.

That's where I watched it, Pullie, with Jenny, the dream date from the Upper 6th.

Either she didn't fancy me or she didn't fancy the film, because we've been "friends" ever since.

Underrated Films on 23:57 - Jun 7 with 4045 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Difficult one this Brian.

Sometimes you see a film and think it's amazing then watch it again and it's a disappointment (obvious QPR similarities there).

I'm going to go with Quick Change. I enjoyed it once, so it might be garbage.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Underrated Films on 01:02 - Jun 8 with 3988 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Underrated Films on 22:54 - Jun 7 by bosh67

Good call.

Sex Lies And Videotape (simple, a bit creepy and beautifully acted)
10 Cloverfield Lane (see above)
Skywest And Crooked (Hayley Mills and Ian McShane totally brilliant)
Being There (Peter Sellers best and final work)

Another endorsement for 'Being There'. Clever and superbly funny.

Underrated Films on 08:39 - Jun 8 with 3819 views18StoneOfHoop

Can She Bake A Cherry Pie (1973)
Small budget flick funnier than Woody Allen Noo Yoyk odd couple romance.

The Parallax View (1974) Warren Beatty at his best in
pacy paranoid conspiracy thriller
Donald Trump's modus operandi made clear 43 years ago.

Something Wild (1986)

That rare thing an under-rated Scorsese
After Hours (1985) Rosanne Arquette @ 2:40 so cute..what a nose!
[Post edited 8 Jun 2017 8:40]

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

Underrated Films on 08:55 - Jun 8 with 3791 viewsMrSheen

Underrated Films on 08:39 - Jun 8 by 18StoneOfHoop

Can She Bake A Cherry Pie (1973)
Small budget flick funnier than Woody Allen Noo Yoyk odd couple romance.

The Parallax View (1974) Warren Beatty at his best in
pacy paranoid conspiracy thriller
Donald Trump's modus operandi made clear 43 years ago.

Something Wild (1986)

That rare thing an under-rated Scorsese
After Hours (1985) Rosanne Arquette @ 2:40 so cute..what a nose!
[Post edited 8 Jun 2017 8:40]

See your Rosanna Arquette and raise you Patricia Arquette - Flirting With Disaster, great stuff. Something Wild was very enjoyable.

Two others - could have been a routine action comedy, but an absolute gem - Midnight Run. Ingenious plot, great pace and some superb performances. May have been the gateway drug to lure Bobby De Niro down the path to The Fan, Meet The Fockers and The Intern, but wonderful entertainment.

Jim Carrey has made some real stinkers, but The Cable Guy is very funny and rather strange.
Login to get fewer ads

Underrated Films on 09:04 - Jun 8 with 3786 viewsMetallica_Hoop

The best Italian horror I've ever seen.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Underrated Films on 09:06 - Jun 8 with 3774 viewssimmo

Once Were Warriors - a little bit slept on as it's a NZ film but also a bit of a cult classic for those that had the VHS kicking about as a kid. Really good film if hard to watch in places.

Kubo and the 2 strings - absolutely stunning film and a really cool story. Didn't get much coverage as shite but better marketed animations like 'the secret life of pets' was out around the same time, but it's a thousand times better and I have a soft spot for well made stop-motion films

What we do in the Shadows - A bit more well known due to word of mouth and being loaded onto Netflix but this is a really funny film and a unique take on the many vampire films that have been put out, watch it then watch 'Hunt for the Wilderpeople' by the same people, both great.

Boogie Nights - A well known film and character but I still think this film is really underrated. A great case and Wahlberg in probably his best film. Also an insanely hot Heather Graham and cool 70's soundtrack

Kung Fu Hustle - So much more than a kung fu film, it's stylised and properly funny. No idea why more people don't love this film

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Underrated Films on 09:45 - Jun 8 with 3719 viewsPhildo

Serpico- only saw it for the first time recently and loved it. The real Serpico is still alive
Underrated Films on 09:57 - Jun 8 with 3697 viewsqprxtc

Not sure if it's under rated but it's not over rated and it's bloomin funny.

De Niro was never better.

Underrated Films on 09:59 - Jun 8 with 3693 viewsdanehoop

Underrated Films on 09:06 - Jun 8 by simmo

Once Were Warriors - a little bit slept on as it's a NZ film but also a bit of a cult classic for those that had the VHS kicking about as a kid. Really good film if hard to watch in places.

Kubo and the 2 strings - absolutely stunning film and a really cool story. Didn't get much coverage as shite but better marketed animations like 'the secret life of pets' was out around the same time, but it's a thousand times better and I have a soft spot for well made stop-motion films

What we do in the Shadows - A bit more well known due to word of mouth and being loaded onto Netflix but this is a really funny film and a unique take on the many vampire films that have been put out, watch it then watch 'Hunt for the Wilderpeople' by the same people, both great.

Boogie Nights - A well known film and character but I still think this film is really underrated. A great case and Wahlberg in probably his best film. Also an insanely hot Heather Graham and cool 70's soundtrack

Kung Fu Hustle - So much more than a kung fu film, it's stylised and properly funny. No idea why more people don't love this film

ung Fu Hustle is a totally genius film by Stephen Chow, came out about the same time as Gangs of New York and was brilliant mockery of that Hollywood OTT with fantastic comedic Kung fu talent through out. Just decided to watch that again at the weekend now.

Never knowingly understood

Underrated Films on 10:17 - Jun 8 with 3660 viewsRBlock

Leon the Professional is fantastic. Never understood why it didn't get more publicity.
Underrated Films on 10:38 - Jun 8 with 3632 views18StoneOfHoop

How about over-rated?

Inception (2010)

I had enjoyed the small-budget original Memento with Guy Pearce very much - and Insomnia with Shouty Pacino too up to a point - (don't do comic book films) - so was expecting a lot
from Christopher Nolan here but amazing special effects try to make up for a terrible complicated pretentious nonsensical plot and every actor has a 2D character - talented actors completely wasted.

As Joseph Gordon-Levitt so trenchantly shouts: "Raw infinite subconcious!"

An underrated film with Joseph Gordon-Levitt in is the urban cycling thrill-ride chase flick Premium Rush (2012) shown on BBC2 just recently.Also enjoyed Robot and Frank with Frank Langella on BBC2 the other night. The dreadful computer care home future we can all look forward to. Recommended.

[Post edited 8 Jun 2017 11:15]

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

Underrated Films on 11:06 - Jun 8 with 3583 viewsTacticalR

Underrated Films on 23:02 - Jun 7 by Hooped_Pullie

A few to add :

'Manhunter'
"To Live & Die In LA' (both starring William Petersen)

And the truly great "Internal Affairs' - Richard Gere & Andy Garcia classic.

So many more...

None of those are underrated by me.

It's a shame that Manhunter got overshadowed by the showy Silence of the Lambs - Manhunter is much more interesting.

Air hostess clique

Underrated Films on 11:26 - Jun 8 with 3552 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Underrated Films on 13:36 - Jun 8 with 3439 views1BobbyHazell

Todd Solondz's Happiness.
Underrated Films on 13:42 - Jun 8 with 3422 viewsichbinnaughty

Underrated Films on 11:26 - Jun 8 by Metallica_Hoop

Fantastic film
Underrated Films on 13:44 - Jun 8 with 3416 viewsichbinnaughty

Also, "Summer of Sam".
Great film about a hot summer of serial killings in steamy 70's New York.
Very evocative. Great music. Hot chicks.
John Leguizamo is fantastic in it.
Underrated Films on 16:19 - Jun 8 with 3339 viewsEsox_Lucius

Dogma
Ex Machina
Betty Blue
Strange Days

The grass is always greener.

Underrated Films on 17:04 - Jun 8 with 3300 viewssimmo

Underrated Films on 16:19 - Jun 8 by Esox_Lucius

Dogma
Ex Machina
Betty Blue
Strange Days

Ex Machina a good shout, not sure it's underrated though, certainly not by me!

Haven't seen Dogma for years either, Jason Mewes is fckin great in that film

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Underrated Films on 17:33 - Jun 8 with 3269 viewshubble

Some of the films mentioned can hardly be called underrated - Being There won the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor and Sellers was nominated for Best Actor and got plenty of other awards. Likewise Boogie Nights was hugely acclaimed and nominated for 3 Oscars.

I'm not sure if underrated or simply not well known relates to some of the best films I've seen - French film The Dreamlife of Angels I thought was superb, similarly Danish film Mifune was joyful. Another Danish movie Festen is fantastic - not sure if its underrated, but again perhaps not that well known.

Another film I though brilliant was Salaam Bombay, again not very well known. The Warrior by Asif Kapadia is another one.

I haven't done well in the underrated category have?! Ummm.... Apocalypto really enjoyed that, A History of Violence by Cronenburg, Shame starring Michael Fassbinder, In Bruges with Colin Farrell - do they count? All brilliant films IMHO.
Underrated Films on 17:44 - Jun 8 with 3251 viewsMrSheen

Underrated Films on 17:33 - Jun 8 by hubble

Some of the films mentioned can hardly be called underrated - Being There won the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor and Sellers was nominated for Best Actor and got plenty of other awards. Likewise Boogie Nights was hugely acclaimed and nominated for 3 Oscars.

I'm not sure if underrated or simply not well known relates to some of the best films I've seen - French film The Dreamlife of Angels I thought was superb, similarly Danish film Mifune was joyful. Another Danish movie Festen is fantastic - not sure if its underrated, but again perhaps not that well known.

Another film I though brilliant was Salaam Bombay, again not very well known. The Warrior by Asif Kapadia is another one.

I haven't done well in the underrated category have?! Ummm.... Apocalypto really enjoyed that, A History of Violence by Cronenburg, Shame starring Michael Fassbinder, In Bruges with Colin Farrell - do they count? All brilliant films IMHO.

Apocalypto!! Slow start and a bit formulaic near the end (but not the very end), but my jaw fell open about 15 minutes in and stayed there for an hour. Perhaps the most thrilling film I've ever seen.

Haven't seen In Bruges, but The Guard is a cracker and not that well known - even if pretty much everyone who has seen it loves it.
Underrated Films on 18:11 - Jun 8 with 3231 viewsHooped_Pullie

Here's some more...

'The Majestic' - not a big Carrey fan, but God this film leaves me on the floor. It's the father-son thing. Far better IMO than the over-rated 'The Truman Show' :

'Munich' - Spielberg in very serious mode. Some scenes in this are unforgettable :

'A Dry White Season' - great film, worth seeing for Brando alone.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024