Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Political Podcasts 13:29 - Jun 11 with 2766 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Hey all,

Just going out for a walk and wondered if there was a good podcast on British politics that ye could recommend?

Ta,

B.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Political Podcasts on 14:01 - Jun 11 with 2737 viewsdanehoop

Brian, for something amusing I would recommend the Bugle Podcast. The brilliant John Oliver has recently stopped doing the show after 10 years (something about being a hugely successful satirist in America) but Andy Saltzman has continued it (despite spending a lot his spare time on test match special as the guest statistician).

It will make you smile in places.

Never knowingly understood

Political Podcasts on 14:11 - Jun 11 with 2731 viewsAntti_Heinola

Echo dane - been listening to the Bugle for years and it's tip top. Not quite as great since John Oliver left, but still very good indeed.

Bare bones.

Political Podcasts on 14:21 - Jun 11 with 2723 viewsTacticalR

For UK politics, the Financial Times Politics Podcast
https://www.ft.com/uk-politics-podcast

The rss feed is:
http://rss.acast.com/ft-politics

I've been listening to it since March, when I was trying to find out why the Tories had decided to bring in the tax rise on the self-employed. Obviously it's coming from a capitalist perspective, but it's quite analytical.

For more general politics I'd recommend 'From Alpha to Omega' by your countryman Tom O'Brien. He has interviewed a lot of the leading Marxist economists including Andrew Kliman, Tony Norfield and Michael Roberts. He's done about 80 podcasts so far - I would start with one of the Kliman interviews (e.g. #017 Kliman All Over The Rate Of Profit) or the Tony Norfield interview (#076 The City).

'From Alpha to Omega'
http://fromalpha2omega.podomatic.com/

Air hostess clique

Political Podcasts on 14:49 - Jun 11 with 2692 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Thanks, folks.

In the end the only one I could find on British politics covering the aftermath of the election was The Guardian's. It was comprehensive, but extremely subjective, with opinions and facts interchangeable.

Will try yours, in future.

Political Podcasts on 14:58 - Jun 11 with 2676 viewslondonscottish

Political Podcasts on 14:49 - Jun 11 by BrianMcCarthy

Thanks, folks.

In the end the only one I could find on British politics covering the aftermath of the election was The Guardian's. It was comprehensive, but extremely subjective, with opinions and facts interchangeable.

Will try yours, in future.

Oddly enough I was wondering the exact same thing this morning and found a reference to some Radio 4 podcasts by Nick Robinson who's pretty good.

They're called "political thinking" and I'll deffo listen to the next one.

The current one, though, is from June 3rd before May turned her crock of gold to a crock of shit, to quote one senior Tory.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Political Podcasts on 15:07 - Jun 11 with 2665 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Political Podcasts on 14:58 - Jun 11 by londonscottish

Oddly enough I was wondering the exact same thing this morning and found a reference to some Radio 4 podcasts by Nick Robinson who's pretty good.

They're called "political thinking" and I'll deffo listen to the next one.

The current one, though, is from June 3rd before May turned her crock of gold to a crock of shit, to quote one senior Tory.

What's Robison's background/personality, Londonscottish?

Sorry, his name is familiar but I just can't recall him.

Political Podcasts on 23:00 - Jun 11 with 2581 viewspaesanu

The Bugle has been mentioned, it's OK but John Oliver is sorely missed.

BBC Friday Night Comedy alternates between a sketch show called The Now Show and a panel show called The News Quiz. Both very satirical, and yet I wish people would listen to them as a trusted news source compared to the newspapers they buy.

And something that's American but still highly entertaining and relevant, Wait Wait Don't Tell Me is really polished.

Poll: If you see someone filming their partner driving at 160mph.. would you

Political Podcasts on 23:35 - Jun 11 with 2569 viewsDevonWhite

From a left wing perspective, Owen Jones & Ellie Mae O'Hagan's Agitpod is worth a listen. As are the Novara Media podcasts. Unashamedly left wing so may or may not be what you're looking for.
Login to get fewer ads

Political Podcasts on 23:41 - Jun 11 with 2564 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Christ I go on long walks to forget about politices. Just look at the nature instead, smell the smells. It'll teach you much more!

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Political Podcasts on 23:55 - Jun 11 with 2549 viewsFDC

Political Podcasts on 23:35 - Jun 11 by DevonWhite

From a left wing perspective, Owen Jones & Ellie Mae O'Hagan's Agitpod is worth a listen. As are the Novara Media podcasts. Unashamedly left wing so may or may not be what you're looking for.

For left wing discussion and analysis Novara is essential listening.

Brian, Nick Robinson off of ITV, and formerly some young Conservative position or other I think. His podcast is quite good, although obviously from a particular perspective.

I'm not sure an objective political podcast exists tbh - is such a thing possible?

Here's some others I listen too, mostly unapologetically left-biased although not all.

This Is Hell - US, hit and miss but occasionally good guests. Most recently Richard Seymour on the election

Behind The News - also US

Politics Home

Headspace - Prospects magazine

Brexit means - Guardian on Brexit

Edit: oh and I occasionally dip my toe into Reel Politik. Young left-Labour types slagging off Labour centrists, but also with some good guests such as Matt Zarb-Cousins
[Post edited 12 Jun 2017 9:54]
Political Podcasts on 00:43 - Jun 12 with 2520 viewsPunteR

Well thats me off then..

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Political Podcasts on 08:30 - Jun 12 with 2450 viewsMistication92

Bit of a political nerd myself so I'll chip in:
New Statesman - left-leaning but a fun listen, enjoyable. Don't take themselves too seriously.
Talking Politics - From Cambridge academics, very interesting.
FT Politics - as mentioned above, very good and neutral.
Times Red Box - pretty neutral but good.
Commons People - HuffPost's politics, like NS they don't take it too seriously, which makes it more fun.

Also recommend The Bugle, if you want to go through the older Bugle then someone has put up the old Times episodes. http://gamesplusone.com/thebugle/
Political Podcasts on 22:47 - Jun 12 with 2365 viewslondonscottish

Political Podcasts on 15:07 - Jun 11 by BrianMcCarthy

What's Robison's background/personality, Londonscottish?

Sorry, his name is familiar but I just can't recall him.

Currently presents on R4 Today programme although was BBC political editor at one point, ITV before that and was once an active Conservative - which I only found out when I looked him up now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Robinson

I listened to this earlier - new one out this Friday, the one I listened to was right after the GE so "old" in some ways. But Chopper gets an impressive line up of former MP's, cabinet members, party chairmen and a couple of pollsters on the stump. Interesting.

My favourite line was about the dementia tax "It's not the cock up. It's the cover up."

https://choppersbrexitpodcast.telegraph.co.uk/

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024