Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Latimer Road 02:31 - Jun 14 with 95396 viewsstowmarketrange

A big fire in a tower block in Latimer Road just been reported on 5live.Eyewitness says there are people trapped on the upper floors.
I hope everyone gets out safely.
Latimer Road on 04:17 - Jun 16 with 2813 views18StoneOfHoop

Latimer Road on 04:19 - Jun 15 by LadbrokeR

I live 300 yards from Grenfell Tower. I watched the leader of the council on TV last and have listened to residents talking about having their health and safety requests continually ignored. Indeed at one point the local authority were threatening legal action against the residents. This will become political and I believe that the local authority will be looking for a scape goat.

#JusticeForGrenfell

LadbrokeR "This will become political..."
Me,18 "...not bleeding half will it!...
Me,18 to rephrase: "..and I too believe that the local people led by Grenfell Action Group will be looking 4 a sacrificial lamb 2 barbecue with the RBK&C stooge scapegoat."

#JusticeForGrenfell
[Post edited 16 Jun 2017 6:10]

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

Latimer Road on 05:22 - Jun 16 with 2789 viewsJAPRANGERS

Latimer Road on 00:08 - Jun 16 by Northernr

Lawyer on Newsnight just pointed out that it's either a public enquiry (with a government appointed judge) or inquests (with a jury). By calling a public enquiry so quickly, they've already ruled out people having an inquest with a jury and unlawful killing or narrative verdicts.

It's going to go off.

If riots break out, nobody will be surprised. the whole situation is just so disgusting. I just can't get my head around it all.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/15/eight-failures-left-people-grenfell-t

Very informative article.
Latimer Road on 06:03 - Jun 16 with 2773 views18StoneOfHoop

Latimer Road on 10:30 - Jun 15 by smegma

The longest day of my life but it's minuscule in comparison to what those families are going through. I played on the building site that became Lancaster West Estate in the late 60s early 70s. . I lived 100 yards from the building for most of my childhood. My bedroom looked out onto the flats. Working at Holland Park station (nearest station opened) I had to deal with loads of distraught people looking to find one of the five assistance centres. We also had to deal with the numerous volunteers looking to help out. Then news filtered through that a work colleague had lost his sister in law and five kids under 10 years old. Everyone openly wept for him.Then I had to send another colleague home when his missus text to say her uncle is missing. Turns out he's the one reported missing on TV as he couldn't escape from the 20th floor as he was disabled. His wife and daughter had to leave him behind to escape. Then I got told my mate Eddie Daffarn lived on the 16th floor. When I saw him being interviewed on ITV at 7pm I wept for joy. He's even in last nights Standard on page 5 telling how he was lucky to escape when a fireman found him in the darkness and dragged him to the stairs. I've also been given a list of blokes I knew growing up but haven't seen for over 20 years that are on the missing list. It numbers over a dozen but could rise.
[Post edited 15 Jun 2017 10:31]

The Best Post On This Thread By Miles.
#NoBullspit #NoLies #NoSpin #NoIllInformedExaggeration
Just the stone cold unadorned bone-chilling true facts.

Well done and virtual thanks on behalf of the community you palpably helped and served in time of need.
Get some rest Holland Park hero and please pass on best wishes to our mutual friend - I understand you play(ed) 5-a-side footie with him? - Citizen Charlie Gurney once of St Anne's Villas and Holland Park Comprehensive school.

Sincerely Olly

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

Latimer Road on 07:11 - Jun 16 with 2722 views2Thomas2Bowles

Lawyer on Newsnight just pointed out that it's either a public enquiry (with a government appointed judge) or inquests (with a jury). By calling a public enquiry so quickly, they've already ruled out people having an inquest with a jury and unlawful killing or narrative verdicts.

It's going to go off.

That came up in the meeting they had at the commons yesterday, that one inquiry should not have an impact on others under some umbrella system , how they will work that
I don't know.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Latimer Road on 09:34 - Jun 16 with 2586 viewsTheChef

Allegations of gerrymandering back in 2015:

https://grenfellactiongroup.wordpress.com/2015/07/12/rbkc-gerrymandering-in-nort

Remember what Shirley Porter did in Westminster?

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Latimer Road on 09:49 - Jun 16 with 2558 viewssmegma

Latimer Road on 23:07 - Jun 15 by zicoshoops

Let's have this right.

Interesting listening to the Lad talking about the Lifts not working.

Four year after the building opened, the Lifts were always breaking down even then.

Grenfell Tower was a shitehole 39 years ago when I lived in it.

I'm sure that everyone from the Leader of the Council down, are all saying the right things now, and no doubt someone way down the ladder will be hung out to dry, but............

This Block was built by The Council.
A 'Jerry built' shitehole.

It was in the late 70's.
Christ knows what it was like before the sad event.

Condolences to all of the families and friends of the lost
And RIP to all of those who lost their lives.

I hope this doesn't get whitewashed, because this is a disgrace.

This is in the court of Kensington and Chelsea Council.

You are not wrong Steve. I lived in Silchester Rd directly below you on the Silchester Estate, just the other side of the arches from the Silchester Baths which became the plastic football pitch. We had elderly family friends who lived on the 12th floor and those lifts used to be out of service about 50% of the time it seemed.
Latimer Road on 09:51 - Jun 16 with 2551 viewssmegma

Latimer Road on 06:03 - Jun 16 by 18StoneOfHoop

The Best Post On This Thread By Miles.
#NoBullspit #NoLies #NoSpin #NoIllInformedExaggeration
Just the stone cold unadorned bone-chilling true facts.

Well done and virtual thanks on behalf of the community you palpably helped and served in time of need.
Get some rest Holland Park hero and please pass on best wishes to our mutual friend - I understand you play(ed) 5-a-side footie with him? - Citizen Charlie Gurney once of St Anne's Villas and Holland Park Comprehensive school.

Sincerely Olly

Charlie's a ST holder in Ellerslie Rd stand.
Latimer Road on 09:54 - Jun 16 with 2540 viewshubble

Latimer Road on 09:34 - Jun 16 by TheChef

Allegations of gerrymandering back in 2015:

https://grenfellactiongroup.wordpress.com/2015/07/12/rbkc-gerrymandering-in-nort

Remember what Shirley Porter did in Westminster?

That is an excellent article, thanks for posting it. I remember well what Shirley Porter did in Westminster; I was living in the Hermes Point tower block on Harrow Road during her tenure, a tower block that was riddled with white asbestos. As we were 'short-life' tenants, we were left there to rot, even though the dangers of the white asbestos were not only known to all, the stuff was leaking out all over the place. When I called the council to try and get rehoused the glib c*nt on the other end of the phone almost laughed at me. He went on to tell me they were only interested in people who wanted to buy council properties and he could send me a list if I wanted.

It is beyond despicable that it takes a tragedy of this proportion for the heinous practices of these corrupt councillors to come to light, but if there is to be any kind of silver lining, then this is it. RBKC has long been known for its shenanigans and its utter disregard for the less well off in the borough.

Another thing I remember from back then is how in 1986 the council, in cahoots with the chief of police at Ladbroke Grove police station and a bunch of property developers got together to force out the rougher elements and the poor from Notting HIll properties, buying them all up on the cheap and then operating a zero-tolerance policing policy using violence and unlawful practices until they'd got rid of all the 'undesirables'. In many ways, it has ever been thus in our society. Perhaps people have now woken up, once again, to these injustices and maybe this time, something will actually change. For the sake of all those who have suffered so horrendously, I hope it is so.
Login to get fewer ads

Latimer Road on 10:05 - Jun 16 with 2517 viewsozexile

Being in oz I'm not getting all the facts. They say the stairwell was blocked ? What was it blocked with? People and smoke? Or was it something that shouldn't have been there?
Latimer Road on 10:17 - Jun 16 with 2486 viewssmegma

Latimer Road on 10:05 - Jun 16 by ozexile

Being in oz I'm not getting all the facts. They say the stairwell was blocked ? What was it blocked with? People and smoke? Or was it something that shouldn't have been there?

It appears to be bodies.
Latimer Road on 10:22 - Jun 16 with 2462 viewsJamesB1979

It's going to go off.

I think 2 key things are needed though, first that it is public so that there can be no cover up. I presume this must be the case with a public inquiry, but others will know more that me. Second, the inquiry should not inhibit a criminal prosecution after. I don't actually have a massive issue with a judge deciding. Maybe i'm naive but I would hope/expect them to be impartial and if all info is public, there will be no escape if it is a "dodgy" verdict.
Latimer Road on 10:28 - Jun 16 with 2436 viewsTheChef

Latimer Road on 10:22 - Jun 16 by JamesB1979

I think 2 key things are needed though, first that it is public so that there can be no cover up. I presume this must be the case with a public inquiry, but others will know more that me. Second, the inquiry should not inhibit a criminal prosecution after. I don't actually have a massive issue with a judge deciding. Maybe i'm naive but I would hope/expect them to be impartial and if all info is public, there will be no escape if it is a "dodgy" verdict.

Didn't May say there would be both?

An inquest first 'by the end of the summer'? Followed by an inquiry later on.

Sadly I'm not going to hold my breath on this one.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Latimer Road on 10:29 - Jun 16 with 2431 views2Thomas2Bowles

Latimer Road on 09:54 - Jun 16 by hubble

That is an excellent article, thanks for posting it. I remember well what Shirley Porter did in Westminster; I was living in the Hermes Point tower block on Harrow Road during her tenure, a tower block that was riddled with white asbestos. As we were 'short-life' tenants, we were left there to rot, even though the dangers of the white asbestos were not only known to all, the stuff was leaking out all over the place. When I called the council to try and get rehoused the glib c*nt on the other end of the phone almost laughed at me. He went on to tell me they were only interested in people who wanted to buy council properties and he could send me a list if I wanted.

It is beyond despicable that it takes a tragedy of this proportion for the heinous practices of these corrupt councillors to come to light, but if there is to be any kind of silver lining, then this is it. RBKC has long been known for its shenanigans and its utter disregard for the less well off in the borough.

Another thing I remember from back then is how in 1986 the council, in cahoots with the chief of police at Ladbroke Grove police station and a bunch of property developers got together to force out the rougher elements and the poor from Notting HIll properties, buying them all up on the cheap and then operating a zero-tolerance policing policy using violence and unlawful practices until they'd got rid of all the 'undesirables'. In many ways, it has ever been thus in our society. Perhaps people have now woken up, once again, to these injustices and maybe this time, something will actually change. For the sake of all those who have suffered so horrendously, I hope it is so.

He is off again

Sadly I think we all know that there won't be many if any policy changes in how the lower class and poor will be treated, they are not suddenly going to start building social housing in Westminster or many parts of London, they will always use the excuse of cost.

Again look at Haygate.

To be honest how can you reverse the housing policies of both Tory and Labour (Blair did nothing) over the last 40 years, it would be too little to late.
[Post edited 16 Jun 2017 10:46]

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Latimer Road on 10:32 - Jun 16 with 2414 viewsozexile

Latimer Road on 10:17 - Jun 16 by smegma

It appears to be bodies.

Ok, awful awful thing.
Latimer Road on 10:33 - Jun 16 with 2413 viewslondonscottish

Another thing; I work in Tower42 in the city (the old Natwest Tower, built at roughly the same time).

If there is a fire the staff get to leave by one set of stairs whilst the firefighters come up another. And you can bet that the dry risers work and alarms work...

Meanwhile those poor people in Grenfell Tower were told to stay put as the firefighters needed to use the stairs in the event of a fire.

That might have worked of course if the fire had been isolated as designed and the whole building hadn't been wrapped in polystyrene so save £5k.....

One rule for the rich, something else entirely for the poor.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Latimer Road on 10:42 - Jun 16 with 2388 viewsstevec

Reading this thread LBlock clearly has a decent amount of knowledge and experience about the Building trade.

As such, local Councils and Councillors may well have a lot to answer for but maybe they are also an easy target. The obsession with meeting Climate change targets and the related pressure to enact the Act of 2008 as fast as is humanly possible, particularly in this country, needs to be thoroughly examined and held to account before lowly Council officials take a hit.

This is not just down to finance and pretty facades, the money should have been spent on safety rather than Green conscious initiatives.
Latimer Road on 10:58 - Jun 16 with 2329 viewsNorthernr

Latimer Road on 10:42 - Jun 16 by stevec

Reading this thread LBlock clearly has a decent amount of knowledge and experience about the Building trade.

As such, local Councils and Councillors may well have a lot to answer for but maybe they are also an easy target. The obsession with meeting Climate change targets and the related pressure to enact the Act of 2008 as fast as is humanly possible, particularly in this country, needs to be thoroughly examined and held to account before lowly Council officials take a hit.

This is not just down to finance and pretty facades, the money should have been spent on safety rather than Green conscious initiatives.

Are you actually Tony Gallagher? These council officials had been warned repeatedly the building was a fire hazard and all they did was send legal letters to the residents threatening them with court cases if they didn't stop moaning about it online. They deliberately picked the less fire resistant panels because they were £2 cheaper than the other ones.
Latimer Road on 11:10 - Jun 16 with 2293 viewstoboboly

Latimer Road on 10:42 - Jun 16 by stevec

I'm not sure you can blame the polar bears on this one.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Latimer Road on 11:20 - Jun 16 with 2260 viewsstevec

Latimer Road on 10:58 - Jun 16 by Northernr

Are you actually Tony Gallagher? These council officials had been warned repeatedly the building was a fire hazard and all they did was send legal letters to the residents threatening them with court cases if they didn't stop moaning about it online. They deliberately picked the less fire resistant panels because they were £2 cheaper than the other ones.

Totally agree with that, they deserve all that's coming to them.

But to put the onus onto Council officials to distinguish between what is and isn't least fire resistant, assuming it was ever properly explained to them, is asking them to go way beyond their technical knowledge. Let's face it, if you or I bought something that cost £2 less the only real question we'd ask is 'is it British Standard?' If yes, we'd buy it. These Councillors have no more knowledge on this subject than any of us.

Way above their heads are people telling them 'here's your budget and don't forget, all building work must adhere to Climate Change efficiency' That's how it works, people with no direct responsibility to local people putting pressure on local councils. I'd guarantee if a Councillor said 'fúck you're climate initiative's, I'm not putting cladding up, i'm installing sprinklers instead' he or she would have pretty quickly been shown the door.

This stuff, Diesel fuels, it all goes way above the likes of us, it is the fault of gullible Governments attempting to run before they can walk, just to appease the climate lobby.

Simple truth, no cladding, no needless deaths.
Latimer Road on 11:26 - Jun 16 with 2240 viewsNorthernr

Latimer Road on 11:20 - Jun 16 by stevec

But to put the onus onto Council officials to distinguish between what is and isn't least fire resistant, assuming it was ever properly explained to them, is asking them to go way beyond their technical knowledge. Let's face it, if you or I bought something that cost £2 less the only real question we'd ask is 'is it British Standard?' If yes, we'd buy it. These Councillors have no more knowledge on this subject than any of us.

Way above their heads are people telling them 'here's your budget and don't forget, all building work must adhere to Climate Change efficiency' That's how it works, people with no direct responsibility to local people putting pressure on local councils. I'd guarantee if a Councillor said 'fúck you're climate initiative's, I'm not putting cladding up, i'm installing sprinklers instead' he or she would have pretty quickly been shown the door.

This stuff, Diesel fuels, it all goes way above the likes of us, it is the fault of gullible Governments attempting to run before they can walk, just to appease the climate lobby.

It is not unfair or unreasonable to force councils to provide people with properly insulated and heated homes. If they choose to accomplish that by wrapping the building in flammable plastic because it's the cheapest option then they deserve to go to prison when this happens.
Latimer Road on 11:32 - Jun 16 with 2220 viewspaulparker

Latimer Road on 10:58 - Jun 16 by Northernr

These tower blocks have been a death trap since they were built no expense has ever been used to make people safe , what the big question that should be asked is what really caused this to go up after 40 plus years ,
im not totally convinced that some poor sod started it by having a faulty fridge, I hope the truth does come out and whoever is responsible for this tragedy is held accountable
lots of political point scoring on both sides with people jumping the bandwagon for their own crusade which I find pretty sickening at this stage
some people haven't even been identified or accounted for yet

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Latimer Road on 11:35 - Jun 16 with 2216 viewsstevec

Latimer Road on 11:26 - Jun 16 by Northernr

It is not unfair or unreasonable to force councils to provide people with properly insulated and heated homes. If they choose to accomplish that by wrapping the building in flammable plastic because it's the cheapest option then they deserve to go to prison when this happens.

But do you know which is flammable and which is not? I don't.

I think you'll find all this stuff will have come with a British Standard kitemark. Are you suggesting local Councillors are capable of challenging the authenticity of this?

The answer to your first sentence is to knock down every one of these high rises built over 40 years ago and start again.
Latimer Road on 11:37 - Jun 16 with 2210 viewsDannytheR

Latimer Road on 11:20 - Jun 16 by stevec

I'm completely at a loss as to who you're arguing with Steve.

I don't think anyone, including most importantly people locally, wants 9-5 council officers to bear the responsibility for this, legally or morally. The responsibility clearly lies far higher up the chain of command.

If ordinary council officials end up being hung out to dry here, it will be because they're being offered up as sacrificial lambs by the people above them, not from any pressure from ordinary people, Lily Allen or even the dreaded media.

It's much harder to explain/excuse the role of the councillors in K&C - but you say council offers and councillors interchangeably, so I genuinely don't know which one you mean.

The cladding wasn't used because of any kind of environmental directive. The cladding was used to make the building more "aesthetically pleasing" for the benefit of people other than the actual residents.

Like the mythical people demanding the admin assistant in the council housing office gets the guillotine, you'll be hard pressed to find anyone concerned about climate change demanding that high rise social housing blocks are covered in what appears to essentially be sheets of plastic.
[Post edited 16 Jun 2017 11:40]
Latimer Road on 11:46 - Jun 16 with 2175 viewsDesertBoot

Even if it was a fridge that started the fire, it;s a kitchen fire - perhaps the flat next door or the one directly above if not dealt with quickly. The whole tower block!!!! No cladding, no fire.

Wish I could be like David Watts

Latimer Road on 11:48 - Jun 16 with 2168 viewsstevec

Latimer Road on 11:37 - Jun 16 by DannytheR

I'm completely at a loss as to who you're arguing with Steve.

I don't think anyone, including most importantly people locally, wants 9-5 council officers to bear the responsibility for this, legally or morally. The responsibility clearly lies far higher up the chain of command.

If ordinary council officials end up being hung out to dry here, it will be because they're being offered up as sacrificial lambs by the people above them, not from any pressure from ordinary people, Lily Allen or even the dreaded media.

It's much harder to explain/excuse the role of the councillors in K&C - but you say council offers and councillors interchangeably, so I genuinely don't know which one you mean.

The cladding wasn't used because of any kind of environmental directive. The cladding was used to make the building more "aesthetically pleasing" for the benefit of people other than the actual residents.

Like the mythical people demanding the admin assistant in the council housing office gets the guillotine, you'll be hard pressed to find anyone concerned about climate change demanding that high rise social housing blocks are covered in what appears to essentially be sheets of plastic.
[Post edited 16 Jun 2017 11:40]

I get what you are saying and agree with most of it, but are you sure the cladding isn't an environmental directive?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024