Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Smithies to Sunderland? 10:00 - Jul 10 with 20971 viewsbosh67

A few rumours around in the press that a bid may be imminent. I would very much hope we can keep him but I can also see this potentially happening.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Smithies to Sunderland? on 13:26 - Jul 10 with 2809 viewsCFW

Smithies to Sunderland? on 13:19 - Jul 10 by DejR_vu

He's the only reason we're not in League1 next season. False economy imo. We'll be weaker in the goalkeeping department, and given what outfield players are costing these days, we'll end up with quantity not quality. I think we'll be weaker overall.

Three most important personnel on the playing side: manager, goalkeeper, striker. We'll end up average or weak in all three.

He is without doubt a very good keeper but he is not the only reason we are not in League 1 next season. The reason is we got lucky and had three shite teams in Rotherham, Wigan and Blackburn in our league. Without them we would have gone down.

Lets pray for another three shite teams this year!!!
Smithies to Sunderland? on 13:27 - Jul 10 with 2800 viewsToast_R

10M and we'll throw in Lynch and Perch.
Smithies to Sunderland? on 13:28 - Jul 10 with 2793 viewsThGrimRanger

Smithies to Sunderland? on 13:27 - Jul 10 by Toast_R

or 12M without them

TheGrimRanger

Smithies to Sunderland? on 13:30 - Jul 10 with 2782 viewsNorthernr

Smithies to Sunderland? on 13:27 - Jul 10 by Toast_R

Which would value Smithies at approximately £13m
Smithies to Sunderland? on 13:35 - Jul 10 with 2757 viewsDejR_vu

Smithies to Sunderland? on 13:26 - Jul 10 by CFW

He is without doubt a very good keeper but he is not the only reason we are not in League 1 next season. The reason is we got lucky and had three shite teams in Rotherham, Wigan and Blackburn in our league. Without them we would have gone down.

Our defence is calamitous. We needed one of the best keepers in the league just to keep it respectable at times last season. Take him out and replace him with even a competent keeper and you're playing with fire.

If it was a luxury player we were talking about I'd agree it would be sensible to sell and re- invest. But anything in the spine of the team, especially the one position which tends to be under- valued, I think is a bad move.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Smithies to Sunderland? on 14:00 - Jul 10 with 2685 viewsPinnerPaul

Smithies to Sunderland? on 13:26 - Jul 10 by CFW

We finished 19th, I make that 5 teams worse than us
Smithies to Sunderland? on 14:18 - Jul 10 with 2631 viewsSilverfoxqpr

Smithies to Sunderland? on 13:35 - Jul 10 by DejR_vu

Our defence is calamitous. We needed one of the best keepers in the league just to keep it respectable at times last season. Take him out and replace him with even a competent keeper and you're playing with fire.

If it was a luxury player we were talking about I'd agree it would be sensible to sell and re- invest. But anything in the spine of the team, especially the one position which tends to be under- valued, I think is a bad move.

Can't help but agree 100% with this. yes there were other teams worse than us (just about) but without Smithies we would have been rock bottom by Christmas and then it really would have been a mountain to climb. Every single game I went to last season both home and away he pulled off 2 sometimes 3 world class saves to either earn us a point or keep it respectable, Huddersfield away, SW away etc. Actually Forest at home, our last game of the season I counted 3 unbelievable stops..........I guess I'd have to re-read CW's end of season goalkeeping review to jog my memory of the countless other matches. I know we need to buy low, sell high but Smithies is surely the last player we should be considering doing this with.
Smithies to Sunderland? on 14:28 - Jul 10 with 2594 viewssuperhoopdownunder

If Smithies was to leave how good is Ingram?
I thought on his 4 appearances for us he has been pretty average.

Lumley has been impressive from what I have seen and heard.
Login to get fewer ads

Smithies to Sunderland? on 14:40 - Jul 10 with 2541 viewsJeff

Smithies to Sunderland? on 14:28 - Jul 10 by superhoopdownunder

if the question is 'is Ingram a like for like replacement for Smithies...' then the answer is 'No, he's not as good'

if the question is 'is Ingram good enough for the 40th best side in the Country?' then the answer is, 'absolutely'

Can we not knock it?

Smithies to Sunderland? on 14:55 - Jul 10 with 2486 viewsNorthernr

Smithies to Sunderland? on 14:28 - Jul 10 by superhoopdownunder

I wouldn't judge Ingram on what we've seen so far (not good in the cups last year, pretty good in his league outings the year before). No player benefits from not playing first team football for prolonged periods of time, goalkeepers especially because any loss of sharpness is going to be exposed even more.
Smithies to Sunderland? on 15:00 - Jul 10 with 2458 viewsBrightonhoop

I'd say he's our best player and we dont want to lose him, but we'll listen to any bids £15 Mil upwards plus add-ons and see how much they want him. It's a win win for us at the right price.
Smithies to Sunderland? on 15:17 - Jul 10 with 2389 viewsdanehoop

Smithies to Sunderland? on 15:00 - Jul 10 by Brightonhoop

I'd say he's our best player and we dont want to lose him, but we'll listen to any bids £15 Mil upwards plus add-ons and see how much they want him. It's a win win for us at the right price.

Smithies is good and had a great season in a relatively poor/inconsistent QPR side and probably is as good keeper as we have had in 15 years. He was also great value comparatively for such an experienced young keeper.

He has the potential to be an England keeper and will have seen that there isnt a great deal of quality to compete against. If he is ambitous he will want/need to go to a bigger club to get the sort of profile and experience he needs to make the next step up. Not sure if Sunderland represent that as much as some other options might, but if they come in with an offer and its upwards of £5-6M expect to see him on his way. That will a 3-400% return on investment in the space of a year and will be good business.

Ingram was one of the best young keepers in the lower leagues when we bought him and on the limited exposure so far he coped reasonably well for us. With more regular football he will improve again and be a good and capable keeper for us, again with the potential to progress.

Lumley has been the surprise package from last year when he proved just how good he was on loan and showed how much goal keepers can progress with regular football. If we do lose Smithies, whilst it may take a little while to get right, we will have a good set of replacements. If Smithies doesnt go I'd expect to see Lumley on loan again (possibly with a contract extension before he goes out).

Never knowingly understood

Smithies to Sunderland? on 15:30 - Jul 10 with 2350 viewsNorthernr

If we get offered decent money (and hey, Sunderland have just fetched in £30m for a goalkeeper so let's not rollover too readily for a keeper who's got years left on a contract) then he should be sold.

The defence is rubbish, the attack is rubbish, but the only way we're going to improve either is by coaching what we have, playing to their strengths, and reinvesting money we do receive for players wisely in recruitment. This is the way we absolutely have to operate as a club now. We cannot spend on a player, write player off quickly, cast player aside, spend on another player any more. Nor can we cling grimly onto a sellable asset until his contract runs down. You buy Smithies for £1m, you work on his game and improve him, you sell him for £6m (or whatever it is), you buy three more players for £1m and you repeat.

We want Lynch and Perch replacing, some want Bidwell replacing, some want Luongo replacing. Fine, you can do all of that with the Smithies money and step Ingram up.

We have to get into this mindset as a club and a support base. Marginal gains and improvements year on year in what we already have (can we get more games out of Robinson, can we get more goals out of Luongo, can we get Cousins fit, are we playing to Smith and Sylla's strengths) and buy low sell high repeat recruitment.
Smithies to Sunderland? on 15:38 - Jul 10 with 2318 viewsGloucs_R

Smithies to Sunderland? on 15:30 - Jul 10 by Northernr

If we get offered decent money (and hey, Sunderland have just fetched in £30m for a goalkeeper so let's not rollover too readily for a keeper who's got years left on a contract) then he should be sold.

The defence is rubbish, the attack is rubbish, but the only way we're going to improve either is by coaching what we have, playing to their strengths, and reinvesting money we do receive for players wisely in recruitment. This is the way we absolutely have to operate as a club now. We cannot spend on a player, write player off quickly, cast player aside, spend on another player any more. Nor can we cling grimly onto a sellable asset until his contract runs down. You buy Smithies for £1m, you work on his game and improve him, you sell him for £6m (or whatever it is), you buy three more players for £1m and you repeat.

We want Lynch and Perch replacing, some want Bidwell replacing, some want Luongo replacing. Fine, you can do all of that with the Smithies money and step Ingram up.

We have to get into this mindset as a club and a support base. Marginal gains and improvements year on year in what we already have (can we get more games out of Robinson, can we get more goals out of Luongo, can we get Cousins fit, are we playing to Smith and Sylla's strengths) and buy low sell high repeat recruitment.

Agreed. Basically back to running a smart operational football club.

I think 3-4 could leave by September, mainly the French connection and a couple of surplus midfielders. With Smithies too, that could generate funds of £10 - £12m.

Poll: Warburton, What's next?

Smithies to Sunderland? on 15:52 - Jul 10 with 2271 viewsBrazilNutR

At current prices, he has to be worth at least 10 million. Stand out performer for a sh1t team last season, young - especially for a keeper. Even goalkeepers are fetching silly money these days... if he has a long contract, and is fit and wanted by a team who sold a goalkeeper for 30m.. we'd be very silly to let him go cheaply. And I would insist on a sizeable sell on clause as well..
Smithies to Sunderland? on 16:11 - Jul 10 with 2208 viewsAntti_Heinola

Indeed.
And none of this, like the youth system, will happen in quick time.
but as with Austin, when people were demanding £15m and upwards, when AS does go for £6m people will be in uproar because they think a keeper who some fans wrote off after 20 mins v Forest less than 2 years ago, is suddenly worth ten times what we paid him.

I love Smithies - very good keeper, very good attitude, but I find some of the stuff about him a little OTT - saying he's the best keeper in the division, for example, when 2 years ago, when he was likely not much less of a keeper than he is now, the same people probably wouldn't have had him in their top 10 or 12 for the division. £6m is huge money for him and I admit anything less I'd be furious. Having said that, Sunderland have money to spend and we know it. AS is under contract. We can afford to play hardball.

Bare bones.

Smithies to Sunderland? on 16:13 - Jul 10 with 2194 viewsrsonist

Smithies to Sunderland? on 10:15 - Jul 10 by 1BobbyHazell

Is this real or just standard getwestlondon/HITC clickbait madeuppery?

Two days ago some speculative fiction on HITC: "Could Sunderland turn to QPR's Alex Smithies if they miss out on John Ruddy signing?"

A day after that, a GetWestLondon regurgitation vaguely worded to make ti seem more factual "has been linked with a move to Sunderland, according to reports online [....]It's thought that the former-Huddersfield Town boss may turn his attention to..."

A day after that, this thread, because people aren't interested in how the news sausage gets made never mind what's in it.
[Post edited 10 Jul 2017 16:13]
Smithies to Sunderland? on 16:16 - Jul 10 with 2177 viewshoopdog

If we could get 10m for Smithies Luongo must fetch 5m plus the 1.5 from Everton we could do some serious rebuilding with that
Smithies to Sunderland? on 16:25 - Jul 10 with 2137 viewsNorthernr

Smithies to Sunderland? on 16:13 - Jul 10 by rsonist

Two days ago some speculative fiction on HITC: "Could Sunderland turn to QPR's Alex Smithies if they miss out on John Ruddy signing?"

A day after that, a GetWestLondon regurgitation vaguely worded to make ti seem more factual "has been linked with a move to Sunderland, according to reports online [....]It's thought that the former-Huddersfield Town boss may turn his attention to..."

A day after that, this thread, because people aren't interested in how the news sausage gets made never mind what's in it.

Very true this. Conor Washington got linked with Birmingham earlier this summer because Vital Birmingham did a "top ten strikers the Blues could look at" and it got picked up by the Birmingham equivalent of GetWestLondon. As if Redknapp has ever fcking heard of Conor Washington.
Smithies to Sunderland? on 16:35 - Jul 10 with 2104 viewsDejR_vu

Smithies to Sunderland? on 16:13 - Jul 10 by rsonist

Don't think anyone is taking this as gospel, but it's not much of a stretch to think Smithies could be the subject of a bid or two, so it's a reasonable basis for a discussion surely? Would be a pretty dull forum if no one commented on anything until it was confirmed.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Smithies to Sunderland? on 16:42 - Jul 10 with 2070 viewsPunteR

How long has he got on his contract?
I would like another couple of seasons out of him. I just feel we will go backwards if we keep selling our best players. We're not stable enough as a club.
I get the idea of being a selling club, buy lower league players, bring through youth but is our coaching good enough to improve these players and sell them on for massive sums of money?
I just want to watch a good football team, is that too much to ask?!!
What is our ambition these days? Is it to become a premier league club again.? or have the board just excepted we're a midtable championship club that will probably yo yo between this league and the league below and cut our cloth accordingly?

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Smithies to Sunderland? on 17:44 - Jul 10 with 1918 viewsCamberleyR

Smithies to Sunderland? on 16:42 - Jul 10 by PunteR

How long has he got on his contract?
I would like another couple of seasons out of him. I just feel we will go backwards if we keep selling our best players. We're not stable enough as a club.
I get the idea of being a selling club, buy lower league players, bring through youth but is our coaching good enough to improve these players and sell them on for massive sums of money?
I just want to watch a good football team, is that too much to ask?!!
What is our ambition these days? Is it to become a premier league club again.? or have the board just excepted we're a midtable championship club that will probably yo yo between this league and the league below and cut our cloth accordingly?

Under contract until 2020.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Smithies to Sunderland? on 17:56 - Jul 10 with 1875 viewsmakaveli1882

He should be made Captain also - build a team around him,
Smithies to Sunderland? on 18:14 - Jul 10 with 1827 viewsCiderwithRsie

Smithies to Sunderland? on 13:35 - Jul 10 by DejR_vu

You may be right about the defence but surely the solution to that is to sort out the defence (and defensive play generally).

I'd like to keep Smithies but if the choice is (a) Smithies playing behind terrible defence, or (b) Ingram plus funds to improve the defence, then I'd go for the latter. Especially if it's possible to improve the defence by better team selection, formation and coaching.

Relying on a brilliant keeper means him keeping us in games by brilliant saves while we all watch one-way traffic. A decent keeper and a decent defence should be just as effective and better to watch.

The £10m question (or £5m or whatever it is) is whether the club can be trusted to get the right players in and whether Holloway knows what to do with them.
Smithies to Sunderland? on 18:18 - Jul 10 with 1817 viewssmegma

so in about 6 hours we've gone from a 'rumour' to its 'nailed on'.......
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024