Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Smithies to Sunderland? 10:00 - Jul 10 with 21094 viewsbosh67

A few rumours around in the press that a bid may be imminent. I would very much hope we can keep him but I can also see this potentially happening.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Smithies to Sunderland? on 18:21 - Jul 10 with 3987 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Smithies to Sunderland? on 18:18 - Jul 10 by smegma

so in about 6 hours we've gone from a 'rumour' to its 'nailed on'.......

Slower than usual.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Smithies to Sunderland? on 18:54 - Jul 10 with 3918 viewsstevec

If you're relying on your goalkeeper to save you from relegation you've most likely got 10 more pressing problems.

If this is genuine then sell and build.
Smithies to Sunderland? on 19:15 - Jul 10 with 3880 viewsQPR_John

If he is under contract till 2020 as mentioned above we have 3 more seasons. It does not matter what we paid for him or what the return is what matters is how hard the club plays it. If Sunderland do want him and it seems the reports are hardly 100% reliable then anything less than £10m is laughable and I would expect more under the circumstances. We may now be a selling club but that does not mean we should be push overs and to succeed if we have go adopt that position we have to play hard ball and not accept the first offer.
Smithies to Sunderland? on 19:34 - Jul 10 with 3848 viewsjohncharles

Smithies to Sunderland? on 19:15 - Jul 10 by QPR_John

If he is under contract till 2020 as mentioned above we have 3 more seasons. It does not matter what we paid for him or what the return is what matters is how hard the club plays it. If Sunderland do want him and it seems the reports are hardly 100% reliable then anything less than £10m is laughable and I would expect more under the circumstances. We may now be a selling club but that does not mean we should be push overs and to succeed if we have go adopt that position we have to play hard ball and not accept the first offer.

As you say anything less than £10 million is laughable.
Let's leave it at that.

Strong and stable my arse.

Smithies to Sunderland? on 20:24 - Jul 10 with 3766 viewsMatch82

Smithies to Sunderland? on 19:15 - Jul 10 by QPR_John

Credit to the club for getting him under contract, we have the upper hand in negotiations at least
Smithies to Sunderland? on 20:49 - Jul 10 with 3708 viewsVancouverHoop

What would Smithies get out of this? He'd be going to his third Championship team – so not really a forward move career-wise. And uprooting his wife and kids – who by all accounts are settled in the London area – and shifting them to the other end of the country. He'd probably be making more money, but would it be enough to compensate for the disruption?
Smithies to Sunderland? on 21:27 - Jul 10 with 3601 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Smithies to Sunderland? on 16:35 - Jul 10 by DejR_vu

Don't think anyone is taking this as gospel, but it's not much of a stretch to think Smithies could be the subject of a bid or two, so it's a reasonable basis for a discussion surely? Would be a pretty dull forum if no one commented on anything until it was confirmed.

I don't thing there is a problem commenting on it but the way it has been generated is typical of the throwaway recycled stuff we see nowadays professing to be a story.
Smithies to Sunderland? on 21:32 - Jul 10 with 3576 viewsTopCat34

Atleast this will give Steve McLaren some much needed cash in January
[Post edited 10 Jul 2017 21:33]
Login to get fewer ads

Smithies to Sunderland? on 21:46 - Jul 10 with 3541 viewsconnell10

Why would he want to go to sunderland a club thats even a bigger basket case than we are!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Smithies to Sunderland? on 22:04 - Jul 10 with 3479 viewsaston_hoop

Surely theres nothing more to discuss? Further up the poster who states that it stars with a suggestion on clickbait site HITC is correct. there is no rumour, Vito Mannone is probably perfectly fine for Sunderland with a backup in the Championship anyway

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Smithies to Sunderland? on 22:51 - Jul 10 with 3372 viewsdavman

We'd get more for him as a Championship club than a League One club though.

Just saying...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Smithies to Sunderland? on 07:31 - Jul 11 with 3196 viewsSuffolkHoop

Where shall I buy next house? Windsor or Sunderland....hmmm
Smithies to Sunderland? on 09:40 - Jul 11 with 3015 viewsdaveB

Smithies to Sunderland? on 20:49 - Jul 10 by VancouverHoop

What would Smithies get out of this? He'd be going to his third Championship team – so not really a forward move career-wise. And uprooting his wife and kids – who by all accounts are settled in the London area – and shifting them to the other end of the country. He'd probably be making more money, but would it be enough to compensate for the disruption?

a better chance of promotion, higher profile club playing in front of over 50,000 most weeks and big away following, working with a manager he got on within the past. Windsor is very nice but it would be a good move for him
Smithies to Sunderland? on 09:41 - Jul 11 with 3007 viewsRangersDave

OK, i think a reality check is needed here............

Smithies is a fantastic goalkeeper, and can save a team (quite literally in penalties saved) loads of points in a year. The fact is that in a crap team (last season etc) he can only fight the law of averages ....better defence means less to save etc.

He is, in my opinion a £20m keeper if put in a good team, the trouble is, we need to recognise that, so i'd say £15m starting price plus add ons

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Smithies to Sunderland? on 12:51 - Jul 11 with 2867 viewssimmo

Smithies to Sunderland? on 17:56 - Jul 10 by makaveli1882

He should be made Captain also - build a team around him,

Or in front of him?

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Smithies to Sunderland? on 14:16 - Jul 11 with 2727 viewsNorthernr

Smithies to Sunderland? on 12:51 - Jul 11 by simmo

Or in front of him?

Given his distribution is better than most of our players maybe we could move him forwards and pick Ingram in goal after all.
Smithies to Sunderland? on 15:25 - Jul 11 with 2576 viewsW7Ranger

Smithies to Sunderland? on 09:40 - Jul 11 by daveB

a better chance of promotion, higher profile club playing in front of over 50,000 most weeks and big away following, working with a manager he got on within the past. Windsor is very nice but it would be a good move for him

Playing in front of 50k most weeks? Are they playing there home games at St James Park?
Smithies to Sunderland? on 15:57 - Jul 11 with 2520 viewsdaveB

Smithies to Sunderland? on 15:25 - Jul 11 by W7Ranger

Playing in front of 50k most weeks? Are they playing there home games at St James Park?

OK 40k most weeks, a massive difference
Smithies to Sunderland? on 16:00 - Jul 11 with 2512 viewsW7Ranger

Smithies to Sunderland? on 15:57 - Jul 11 by daveB

OK 40k most weeks, a massive difference

Sorry Dave, just me being anal.
Smithies to Sunderland? on 23:56 - Jul 18 with 2203 viewsaston_hoop

OK, I take it back. Sunderland need a keeper now

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/football/sunderland-afc/simon-grayson-explai

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Smithies to Sunderland? on 13:34 - Jul 19 with 1899 viewsBklynRanger

Smithies to Sunderland? on 23:56 - Jul 18 by aston_hoop

OK, I take it back. Sunderland need a keeper now

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/football/sunderland-afc/simon-grayson-explai

I'm now classifying this as 'nailed on' what with the bomb going off and everything...
Smithies to Sunderland? on 13:45 - Jul 19 with 1842 viewskingsburyR

Smithies to Sunderland? on 14:16 - Jul 11 by Northernr

Given his distribution is better than most of our players maybe we could move him forwards and pick Ingram in goal after all.

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Smithies to Sunderland? on 00:34 - Jul 20 with 1546 viewsDylanP

Smithies to Sunderland? on 17:56 - Jul 10 by makaveli1882

He should be made Captain also - build a team around him,

You can't build a team around a goalie. That makes no sense.

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

Smithies to Sunderland? on 00:56 - Jul 20 with 1515 viewsPunteR

Smithies to Sunderland? on 00:34 - Jul 20 by DylanP

You can't build a team around a goalie. That makes no sense.

Its a good starting point though.
A good reliable keeper takes a bit of pressure from the defence plus his distribution of the football is pretty darn good.
I say keep him for as long as possible, but we'll probably sell him for £4 million put £3.5 mill back into what ever debt we owe or our FFP fine and buy a couple of players from Peterborough or somewhere with the rest of the cash. One of the players will probably be injury prone and the other cant score. Or something.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Smithies to Sunderland? on 00:56 - Jul 20 with 1514 viewsHooped_Pullie

I cannot see Sunderland selling their first-choice keeper - as they have done - for £2 million quid and then spending £10 million plus on a replacement. Makes no sense, even in this crazy world.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024