Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Smithies to Sunderland? 10:00 - Jul 10 with 21081 viewsbosh67

A few rumours around in the press that a bid may be imminent. I would very much hope we can keep him but I can also see this potentially happening.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Smithies to Sunderland? on 01:39 - Jul 20 with 2498 viewsbob566

Smithies to Sunderland? on 00:56 - Jul 20 by Hooped_Pullie

I cannot see Sunderland selling their first-choice keeper - as they have done - for £2 million quid and then spending £10 million plus on a replacement. Makes no sense, even in this crazy world.

Yeah but they've just sold a keeper for thirty million. Buy a replacement for ten million they're quids in
Smithies to Sunderland? on 07:29 - Jul 20 with 2317 viewsrsonist

Smithies to Sunderland? on 00:56 - Jul 20 by Hooped_Pullie

I cannot see Sunderland selling their first-choice keeper - as they have done - for £2 million quid and then spending £10 million plus on a replacement. Makes no sense, even in this crazy world.

What doesn't make sense about it? Mannone wasn't wanted there.

You're probably right though - they won't spend £10m because in all likelihood we would accept less than that.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2017 7:29]
Smithies to Sunderland? on 07:43 - Jul 20 with 2284 viewskingsburyR

Smithies to Sunderland? on 07:29 - Jul 20 by rsonist

What doesn't make sense about it? Mannone wasn't wanted there.

You're probably right though - they won't spend £10m because in all likelihood we would accept less than that.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2017 7:29]

Why would we accept less than that?

One of the best keepers in the division and the market has gone crazy.

Whoever gets him will have a solid keeper for the 5-7 years!

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Smithies to Sunderland? on 08:24 - Jul 20 with 2193 viewsDejR_vu

Smithies to Sunderland? on 07:43 - Jul 20 by kingsburyR

Why would we accept less than that?

One of the best keepers in the division and the market has gone crazy.

Whoever gets him will have a solid keeper for the 5-7 years!

Because we appear to be desperate. Noises being made that we need to sell to buy. Fear the worst if this happens. When have we ever sold our best player and got better?

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Smithies to Sunderland? on 08:31 - Jul 20 with 2175 viewskingo

Smithies to Sunderland? on 08:24 - Jul 20 by DejR_vu

Because we appear to be desperate. Noises being made that we need to sell to buy. Fear the worst if this happens. When have we ever sold our best player and got better?

Sinton for Trevor

RIP: Sniffer, Doug and Pat

Smithies to Sunderland? on 08:39 - Jul 20 with 2144 viewsDejR_vu

Smithies to Sunderland? on 08:31 - Jul 20 by kingo

Sinton for Trevor

We were top London club, 5th in the league, with Sinton if memory serves me right? We were relegated with Sinclair, no?

Smithies to Sunderland? on 08:42 - Jul 20 with 2130 viewssimmo

It's still nothing but conjecture right? Based on the facts that Sunderland probably need a keeper and we have a good one and will have to sell to buy - that's it right? Shall we wait for something firm first?

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Smithies to Sunderland? on 08:44 - Jul 20 with 2121 viewsDejR_vu

Smithies to Sunderland? on 08:42 - Jul 20 by simmo

It's still nothing but conjecture right? Based on the facts that Sunderland probably need a keeper and we have a good one and will have to sell to buy - that's it right? Shall we wait for something firm first?

As said before, would be pretty dull if we were only allowed to comment on done deals.

Login to get fewer ads

Smithies to Sunderland? on 08:50 - Jul 20 with 2094 viewskingsburyR

Smithies to Sunderland? on 08:31 - Jul 20 by kingo

Sinton for Trevor

Two great players but I'd have Sinton over Trevor every day of the week!!!

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Smithies to Sunderland? on 09:26 - Jul 20 with 2014 viewsDejR_vu

Smithies to Sunderland? on 08:50 - Jul 20 by kingsburyR

Two great players but I'd have Sinton over Trevor every day of the week!!!

And, as an added bonus, Sinton has never been on Match of the Day defending Joey Barton for cheating to try and get a lower league player sent off
[Post edited 20 Jul 2017 9:33]

Smithies to Sunderland? on 10:20 - Jul 20 with 1925 viewskingo

Smithies to Sunderland? on 08:39 - Jul 20 by DejR_vu

We were top London club, 5th in the league, with Sinton if memory serves me right? We were relegated with Sinclair, no?

That wasn't your question though. And although rare for QPR, we have sold a very good star player, in Andy Sinton, and got a cheaper replacement who was a more successful player than Sinton.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2017 10:31]

Smithies to Sunderland? on 10:36 - Jul 20 with 1870 viewsichbinnaughty

Smithies to Sunderland? on 01:39 - Jul 20 by bob566

Yeah but they've just sold a keeper for thirty million. Buy a replacement for ten million they're quids in

If Sunderland even think about coming sniffing round Smithies, the club should obviously have a mindset that includes:
1) you have just sold Pickford for £30m
2) you have just sold Mannone for around £2m
3) on this basis, you have around £32m available to spend.

If you're serious about wanting Smithies, the best keeper in the division, and the club's reigning player of the year, talk smart.
If you start off on the wrong foot, talking derisory figures, the price goes up by £5m - EVERY time you do that.

If Pickford went for £30m; Smithies MUST NOT go for less than £15m to Sunderland.
Smithies to Sunderland? on 10:42 - Jul 20 with 1851 viewsDejR_vu

Smithies to Sunderland? on 10:20 - Jul 20 by kingo

That wasn't your question though. And although rare for QPR, we have sold a very good star player, in Andy Sinton, and got a cheaper replacement who was a more successful player than Sinton.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2017 10:31]

Well it was meant to be my question. I think you've misinterpreted. When I said 'got better' I was referring to the team, not the player.

Smithies to Sunderland? on 10:45 - Jul 20 with 1833 viewsdavman

Smithies to Sunderland? on 10:36 - Jul 20 by ichbinnaughty

If Sunderland even think about coming sniffing round Smithies, the club should obviously have a mindset that includes:

If you're serious about wanting Smithies, the best keeper in the division, and the club's reigning player of the year, talk smart.
If you start off on the wrong foot, talking derisory figures, the price goes up by £5m - EVERY time you do that.

If Pickford went for £30m; Smithies MUST NOT go for less than £15m to Sunderland.

No offence, but back in reality, we'll never get £15m for a 'keeper who has not played in the top flight, even in this silly, silly market.
£10m would be nice, but somewhere between £5-7m will be enough imo.

Anyone know whether Uddersfield have a sell on?

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Smithies to Sunderland? on 10:54 - Jul 20 with 1799 viewsNorthernr

This is the subject of Dave Mc's Twitter fishing expedition today which always pass the time at work nicely.
Smithies to Sunderland? on 10:58 - Jul 20 with 1789 viewsdaveB

Smithies to Sunderland? on 10:36 - Jul 20 by ichbinnaughty

even in todays market we won't get anything like £15 million for Smithies, thats fantasy land
Smithies to Sunderland? on 11:04 - Jul 20 with 1767 viewskingo

Smithies to Sunderland? on 10:58 - Jul 20 by daveB

even in todays market we won't get anything like £15 million for Smithies, thats fantasy land

Only if we let Levy negotiate for us :)

Sunderland have played their hand though, by letting Pickford and Manone go. So if Smithies is their target we are in a strong position. But 8-10 would be realistic.

Smithies to Sunderland? on 11:07 - Jul 20 with 1757 viewsrsonist

Smithies to Sunderland? on 10:54 - Jul 20 by Northernr

This is the subject of Dave Mc's Twitter fishing expedition today which always pass the time at work nicely.

We've not much left to be proud of as a club any more but truly Dave Mc is a grand master at what he does.
Smithies to Sunderland? on 11:21 - Jul 20 with 1719 viewsichbinnaughty

Smithies to Sunderland? on 10:58 - Jul 20 by daveB

My point is that, rather like we have been in years gone by when we've been known to have money to throw around, we should effectively hold the buying club to ransom.
I'd love to think that we don't need to sell him.
So, if someone else really wants him, FCKN PAY UP.

Other clubs seem to be so good at enforcing this (Spurs, obviously, but Swansea are doing it with Sigurdsson; Everton did it with Lukaku; Sunderland did it with Pickford; fck me Stoke are doing it with Arnautovic) = so I want to see us play a bit of hard ball.
"Pay up or fck off"
Smithies to Sunderland? on 11:45 - Jul 20 with 1644 viewsfrancisbowles

The key question will be is the increase in salary enough to persuade Alex Smithies to uproot his family and move back up north closer to his roots.

If he wants this move and they are prepared to pay the asking price, which I think should be close to £10 million based on length of contract and the market, then we should take it, thank him sincerely and use Ingram.

Maybe, we might find ourselves in a similar position in a couple of years.
Smithies to Sunderland? on 12:06 - Jul 20 with 1552 viewsBrightonhoop

Smithies to Sunderland? on 11:21 - Jul 20 by ichbinnaughty

My point is that, rather like we have been in years gone by when we've been known to have money to throw around, we should effectively hold the buying club to ransom.

Other clubs seem to be so good at enforcing this (Spurs, obviously, but Swansea are doing it with Sigurdsson; Everton did it with Lukaku; Sunderland did it with Pickford; fck me Stoke are doing it with Arnautovic) = so I want to see us play a bit of hard ball.
"Pay up or fck off"

Word.

In the context of Wolved shelling out £15 Mil on a player whose never played in UK before, and Sunderland placing themselves over a barrell with no effective keeper, I cant see why we would let Smithies go for less than £20 Mil.

We need to play hard ball.
Smithies to Sunderland? on 12:52 - Jul 20 with 1427 viewsDejR_vu

Smithies to Sunderland? on 11:21 - Jul 20 by ichbinnaughty

"Pay up or fck off"

Well, I think our manager announcing bombs going off, needing to sell to buy etc. weakens our negotiating position somewhat. Other clubs will know we're desperate. I'm sure LF is over the moon with that interview.

Smithies to Sunderland? on 13:15 - Jul 20 with 1344 viewsAntti_Heinola

Smithies to Sunderland? on 12:52 - Jul 20 by DejR_vu

Well, I think our manager announcing bombs going off, needing to sell to buy etc. weakens our negotiating position somewhat. Other clubs will know we're desperate. I'm sure LF is over the moon with that interview.

I suspect some of this is Ollie hyperbole.
clive said the other day you have people on social media complaining that we didn't sign Defoe a couple of weeks ago. The bomb Ollie is referring to is not necessarily the FFP fine. It's that we have to cut our cloth - and that went off months ago, irt's just that some fans haven't accepted it yet. A 20 year old now was just 10 when Ecclestone and Briatore turned up. 10 years old. That's a decade of ludicrous spending and desperate attempts at promotion or fights against relegation. They literally know nothing else. for anyone over 30, what we have now is a return to the norm. It's annoying, but this is what we are. For the next 100 years we'll bounce between the top 3 divisions, no matter what we do.
So our negotiating position with Smithies is unchanged. Everyone knows our situation. But that situation includes that he is happy here, and is on a long contract and more than one club are probably watching him.

Bare bones.

Smithies to Sunderland? on 13:19 - Jul 20 with 1328 viewsIrishR

Age is on Smithies side compared to the other good keepers in the league, What would you expect Wednesday to get for Westwood? Brum for Stockdale? Jakupovic went very cheap in comparison to some figures being branded about here but he is 5 years older then Smithies. Given the club we are and the fact he has not done this in the prem 5-7m would be the max we would get i expect despite our love for him and the important role he played and will play in keeping us in the division.
Smithies to Sunderland? on 13:40 - Jul 20 with 1267 viewsichbinnaughty

Smithies to Sunderland? on 13:15 - Jul 20 by Antti_Heinola

I suspect some of this is Ollie hyperbole.
clive said the other day you have people on social media complaining that we didn't sign Defoe a couple of weeks ago. The bomb Ollie is referring to is not necessarily the FFP fine. It's that we have to cut our cloth - and that went off months ago, irt's just that some fans haven't accepted it yet. A 20 year old now was just 10 when Ecclestone and Briatore turned up. 10 years old. That's a decade of ludicrous spending and desperate attempts at promotion or fights against relegation. They literally know nothing else. for anyone over 30, what we have now is a return to the norm. It's annoying, but this is what we are. For the next 100 years we'll bounce between the top 3 divisions, no matter what we do.
So our negotiating position with Smithies is unchanged. Everyone knows our situation. But that situation includes that he is happy here, and is on a long contract and more than one club are probably watching him.

"For anyone over 30, what we have now is a return to the norm. It's annoying, but this is what we are. For the next 100 years we'll bounce between the top 3 divisions, no matter what we do. "

I am in my forties, and I have watched 25 years of us being brilliant, sh!t, sh!tter, appalling, a bit better, average, unexpectedly good, and manically erratic - so I "know what we are".

But I do not 'accept' that this is what we are. We can change that at any time.
There needs to be that desire and belief that we can do better and be better. There should never be a meek surrendering to some pre-ordained identity.
We're a basket case very often; but we most definitely have it within ourselves to be better.

In their darkest days 5-10 years ago, I'm sure Southampton could have quite justifiably had the same 'oh woe is me' thoughts. But they've actually had a period of sound management and organisation, good planning, LUCK, and astute decision-makers.
There is no reason why we can't do that. No reason at all.

WIBBLE. WIBBLE.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024