Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Smithies to Sunderland? 10:00 - Jul 10 with 21131 viewsbosh67

A few rumours around in the press that a bid may be imminent. I would very much hope we can keep him but I can also see this potentially happening.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Smithies to Sunderland? on 13:42 - Jul 20 with 3087 viewsOldPedro

If we sell Smithies, I guess the fee would be an amount up front followed by more if Sunderland get promoted and possibly further add-ons for Premier League appearances and/or sell on clause.

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Smithies to Sunderland? on 14:03 - Jul 20 with 3030 viewsAntti_Heinola

Smithies to Sunderland? on 13:40 - Jul 20 by ichbinnaughty

"For anyone over 30, what we have now is a return to the norm. It's annoying, but this is what we are. For the next 100 years we'll bounce between the top 3 divisions, no matter what we do. "

I am in my forties, and I have watched 25 years of us being brilliant, sh!t, sh!tter, appalling, a bit better, average, unexpectedly good, and manically erratic - so I "know what we are".

But I do not 'accept' that this is what we are. We can change that at any time.
There needs to be that desire and belief that we can do better and be better. There should never be a meek surrendering to some pre-ordained identity.
We're a basket case very often; but we most definitely have it within ourselves to be better.

In their darkest days 5-10 years ago, I'm sure Southampton could have quite justifiably had the same 'oh woe is me' thoughts. But they've actually had a period of sound management and organisation, good planning, LUCK, and astute decision-makers.
There is no reason why we can't do that. No reason at all.

WIBBLE. WIBBLE.

Agree, that's not what i meant at all, though. I meant we have to accept that we need to cut our cloth and can't spend oodles of cash on fees and wages - not that we should accept that we are a lower table championship side. We should never accept that. But sometimes, that's what we will be, sadly. As we are now. But we can change it. Yes.
wibble, indeed.

Bare bones.

Smithies to Sunderland? on 15:04 - Jul 20 with 2877 viewsTacticalR

I can't help worrying that if we pull Smithies out of the pile we'll go kerplunk.

Air hostess clique

Smithies to Sunderland? on 15:06 - Jul 20 with 2872 viewsichbinnaughty

Smithies to Sunderland? on 14:03 - Jul 20 by Antti_Heinola

Agree, that's not what i meant at all, though. I meant we have to accept that we need to cut our cloth and can't spend oodles of cash on fees and wages - not that we should accept that we are a lower table championship side. We should never accept that. But sometimes, that's what we will be, sadly. As we are now. But we can change it. Yes.
wibble, indeed.

I agree we have to live within our means; but I hope that
a) we do not HAVE to sell our best player; and
b) if a) is not the case, and we do actually have to sell him, then the club has the balls to stand firm in a marketplace where Marko Arnautovic

I'll say that again, MARKO ARNAUTOVIC is actually being sold for £24 million.

If this world has gone that crazy, I want us to have a slice of that.

Smithies should not go for less than £10m.

Fck me.
We sell Austin for £4m and Stoke sell Arnautovic for £24m.
Who would we rather have?
I know what answer 20,000 people would give.
(And yes, I know that I am [deliberately] not factoring in contract length, agitation for a move etc etc)
Smithies to Sunderland? on 15:07 - Jul 20 with 2865 viewsichbinnaughty

Smithies to Sunderland? on 15:06 - Jul 20 by ichbinnaughty

I agree we have to live within our means; but I hope that
a) we do not HAVE to sell our best player; and
b) if a) is not the case, and we do actually have to sell him, then the club has the balls to stand firm in a marketplace where Marko Arnautovic

I'll say that again, MARKO ARNAUTOVIC is actually being sold for £24 million.

If this world has gone that crazy, I want us to have a slice of that.

Smithies should not go for less than £10m.

Fck me.
We sell Austin for £4m and Stoke sell Arnautovic for £24m.
Who would we rather have?
I know what answer 20,000 people would give.
(And yes, I know that I am [deliberately] not factoring in contract length, agitation for a move etc etc)

In fact, it is so absolutely bonkers, I'm going to say it again.
Marko Arnautovic is actually going for a fee of £24million.
HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA.
I might actually have a chance of sticking my <AHEM> up Rachel Riley's <COUGH>
Smithies to Sunderland? on 15:08 - Jul 20 with 2863 viewsichbinnaughty

Smithies to Sunderland? on 15:07 - Jul 20 by ichbinnaughty

In fact, it is so absolutely bonkers, I'm going to say it again.
Marko Arnautovic is actually going for a fee of £24million.
HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA.
I might actually have a chance of sticking my <AHEM> up Rachel Riley's <COUGH>

TWENTY FOUR MILLION!!!!!!!!!
Smithies to Sunderland? on 15:10 - Jul 20 with 2852 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Smithies to Sunderland? on 08:31 - Jul 20 by kingo

Sinton for Trevor

Sinton was far, far superior to Sinclair.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Smithies to Sunderland? on 15:28 - Jul 20 with 2807 viewsAntti_Heinola

Smithies to Sunderland? on 15:10 - Jul 20 by BrianMcCarthy

not having that.
sinclair a better player. Sinton a better crosser.

Bare bones.

Login to get fewer ads

Smithies to Sunderland? on 15:43 - Jul 20 with 2768 viewsichbinnaughty

Smithies to Sunderland? on 15:28 - Jul 20 by Antti_Heinola

not having that.

I'm with Brian.
If I had to choose, I'd go with Sints.
Smithies to Sunderland? on 15:58 - Jul 20 with 2727 viewsNov77

sinton far better, two footed, could go past a player on either side. scored more goals in less games too.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Smithies to Sunderland? on 15:58 - Jul 20 with 2722 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Smithies to Sunderland? on 15:28 - Jul 20 by Antti_Heinola

not having that.

Fair enough, all down to opinions.

I thought Sinclair was certainly more talented but Sinton was the better player - better at finishing, passing, crossing, defending, work rate and teamwork.

I think that if I was a Rangers player (pauses to dream...) that no matter what position I played I'd want Sinton at before Sinclair.

Smithies to Sunderland? on 16:06 - Jul 20 with 2693 viewsAntti_Heinola

Smithies to Sunderland? on 15:58 - Jul 20 by Nov77

sinton far better, two footed, could go past a player on either side. scored more goals in less games too.

For us, yes. But career overall, no. Sinclair scored more goals in 100 less games.
Think West Ham had the best of him to be fair, so if we're judging just on QPR careers, it's closer. but I'd still take Trev all day. Les probably wouldn't, I agree ;)

Bare bones.

Smithies to Sunderland? on 16:07 - Jul 20 with 2686 viewsdavman

Smithies to Sunderland? on 15:10 - Jul 20 by BrianMcCarthy

Sinton was hilarious when he started with us. He didn't beat people, like Tricky Trev; he went straight through them taking the ball with him. He improved every season and deservedly won an England Cap though albit out of position.

Still think Trev was better though, even though he didn't perform his best in the struggling team he left.

As you say, opinions...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Smithies to Sunderland? on 16:08 - Jul 20 with 2683 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Smithies to Sunderland? on 16:06 - Jul 20 by Antti_Heinola

For us, yes. But career overall, no. Sinclair scored more goals in 100 less games.
Think West Ham had the best of him to be fair, so if we're judging just on QPR careers, it's closer. but I'd still take Trev all day. Les probably wouldn't, I agree ;)

You might be right on that. I didn't see much of him after he left, so can't really comment.

Smithies to Sunderland? on 20:02 - Jul 20 with 2478 viewskensalriser

Has anyone who isn't a QPR fan ever called Smithies as the best keeper in the Championship?

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Smithies to Sunderland? on 20:43 - Jul 20 with 2383 viewsrsonist

Smithies to Sunderland? on 20:02 - Jul 20 by kensalriser

Has anyone who isn't a QPR fan ever called Smithies as the best keeper in the Championship?

Yes, they do actually - all the highlights blaggers see him save the penalties and jump to that conclusion. Turns out this time they're right.

Sky's own twitter account even had a montage with that title recently if I recall correctly.
Smithies to Sunderland? on 22:17 - Jul 20 with 2231 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Smithies to Sunderland? on 20:02 - Jul 20 by kensalriser

Well he's the best keeper in the championship in a QPR shirt for sure!

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Smithies to Sunderland? on 10:16 - Jul 21 with 1979 viewssimmo

Sunderland have taken Dutch goalkeeper Robbin Ruiter on trial. The 30-year-old was released by Utrecht in the summer and is training with Simon Grayson's side.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Smithies to Sunderland? on 12:07 - Jul 21 with 1826 viewsenfieldargh

Smithies to Sunderland? on 10:16 - Jul 21 by simmo

Sunderland have taken Dutch goalkeeper Robbin Ruiter on trial. The 30-year-old was released by Utrecht in the summer and is training with Simon Grayson's side.

Hull & Sunderland seem to have to sell sell sell even with parachute payments while boro have improved their squad without letting any of their top assets go.

Window still open and lots more moving about still to happen but a trend seems to have been started.

When Allardyce kept Sunderland up that Jan window he got a lot of foreign players in probably(?) bon big bucks to keep them up which they did.

Quite a few were perm transfers with big wages/agents fees and both owners possibly want out

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Smithies to Sunderland? on 12:22 - Jul 21 with 1786 viewsBrightonhoop

Smithies in the squad going to Germany so unlkely to be going anywhere else right now.
Smithies to Sunderland? on 13:51 - Jul 21 with 1724 viewsNorthernr

Smithies to Sunderland? on 12:07 - Jul 21 by enfieldargh

Hull & Sunderland seem to have to sell sell sell even with parachute payments while boro have improved their squad without letting any of their top assets go.

Window still open and lots more moving about still to happen but a trend seems to have been started.

When Allardyce kept Sunderland up that Jan window he got a lot of foreign players in probably(?) bon big bucks to keep them up which they did.

Quite a few were perm transfers with big wages/agents fees and both owners possibly want out

Hull's a unique case - the Allam's are stripping the place. Their aim for last season was to pocket £40m of the Premier League money for themselves. Long feature coming up on them prior to our game with them in August so watch out for it.
Smithies to Sunderland? on 14:15 - Jul 21 with 1670 viewsBluce_Ree

Smithies to Sunderland? on 13:40 - Jul 20 by ichbinnaughty

"For anyone over 30, what we have now is a return to the norm. It's annoying, but this is what we are. For the next 100 years we'll bounce between the top 3 divisions, no matter what we do. "

I am in my forties, and I have watched 25 years of us being brilliant, sh!t, sh!tter, appalling, a bit better, average, unexpectedly good, and manically erratic - so I "know what we are".

But I do not 'accept' that this is what we are. We can change that at any time.
There needs to be that desire and belief that we can do better and be better. There should never be a meek surrendering to some pre-ordained identity.
We're a basket case very often; but we most definitely have it within ourselves to be better.

In their darkest days 5-10 years ago, I'm sure Southampton could have quite justifiably had the same 'oh woe is me' thoughts. But they've actually had a period of sound management and organisation, good planning, LUCK, and astute decision-makers.
There is no reason why we can't do that. No reason at all.

WIBBLE. WIBBLE.

"There is no reason why we can't do that. No reason at all."

I've got a reason, IBN.

The QPR curse by Dorse 6 Dec 2016 13:01
The universe hates QPR.

The best example of how much can be found in Julio Cesar's record.

5 consecutive Serie A titles between 2006 and 2010
3 Coppa Italia
4 Italian Super Cups
1 Champions League (2010)
FIFA World Club Cup (2010)
Serie A Goalkeeper of the Year 2009 & 2010
UEFA Club Goalkeeper of the Year 2009

2012 - Signs for QPR...

2014 - Signs for Benfica and wins:
2 Primera Liga (2015 & 2016)
Taca de Liga (2015)
Primera Liga Best Goalkeeper 2014-15

Stephane M'Bia anyone?

FFS

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Smithies to Sunderland? on 14:26 - Jul 21 with 1654 viewsMick_S

Smithies to Sunderland? on 14:15 - Jul 21 by Bluce_Ree

"There is no reason why we can't do that. No reason at all."

I've got a reason, IBN.

The QPR curse by Dorse 6 Dec 2016 13:01
The universe hates QPR.

The best example of how much can be found in Julio Cesar's record.

5 consecutive Serie A titles between 2006 and 2010
3 Coppa Italia
4 Italian Super Cups
1 Champions League (2010)
FIFA World Club Cup (2010)
Serie A Goalkeeper of the Year 2009 & 2010
UEFA Club Goalkeeper of the Year 2009

2012 - Signs for QPR...

2014 - Signs for Benfica and wins:
2 Primera Liga (2015 & 2016)
Taca de Liga (2015)
Primera Liga Best Goalkeeper 2014-15

Stephane M'Bia anyone?

FFS

Come on. We can do this.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Smithies to Sunderland? on 13:09 - Jul 26 with 1386 viewssimmo

They've signed Steele from Blackburn now so I guess that's that. Ingram on the other hand....

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Smithies to Sunderland? on 13:14 - Jul 26 with 1357 viewsmakaveli1882

Smithies to Sunderland? on 13:09 - Jul 26 by simmo

They've signed Steele from Blackburn now so I guess that's that. Ingram on the other hand....

ssshhhhuuusshhhhhhh

Meanwhile, Sunderland need to bolster their goalkeeping ranks following the sale of Jordan Pickford to Everton for £30million and Vito Mannone to Reading for £2million. The Black Cats currently only have Mika and youngster Max Stryjek on the books - both of which are yet to make a first team appearance - with Dutch stopper Robbin Ruiter currently on trial at the club. Ruiter, a free agent, starred in the 3-2 win over Bradford City and is expected to be involved against Scunthorpe United in tonight’s friendly (KO 7.30pm) at Glanford Park as he bids to win a deal. Boss Simon Grayson has hinted he is looking to bring two goalkeepers into the club and Steele would fit the bill.

Read more at: http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/football/sunderland-afc/sunderland-set-for-d
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024