Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Berlin 16:49 - Jul 11 with 9708 viewsSonofNorfolt

I'm trying to gauge numbers for my German mates, so a show of hands please from those on here.
Berlin on 17:00 - Jul 11 with 8579 viewsthame_hoops

I'm not going if that helps Mel.
Berlin on 17:03 - Jul 11 with 8579 viewskingshill

3 of us out first thing Saturday morning and heading back on Monday
Berlin on 23:20 - Jul 11 with 8394 viewsCheshireR

Two from here.
Arriving in Berlin late Friday night and flying home late Sunday after a quick departure from Leipzig.
Berlin on 13:40 - Jul 12 with 8216 viewsSonofNorfolt

That makes six then.

Based on the Daphne Duckworth Lewis mythical estimation, I reckon about 250-300.

I know about 100 going, so it must be true.

Meet in the Abseitsfalle (Offside Trap) from 12.30 onwards.
This is the Union bar next to the stadium, most of the other bars close to the ground aren't big enough.
Berlin on 14:39 - Jul 12 with 8131 viewswealdstoners

Berlin on 13:40 - Jul 12 by SonofNorfolt

That makes six then.

Based on the Daphne Duckworth Lewis mythical estimation, I reckon about 250-300.

This is the Union bar next to the stadium, most of the other bars close to the ground aren't big enough.

4 of us leaving early Friday back Monday evening and getting bang on it
Berlin on 18:13 - Jul 12 with 8048 viewskingshill

2 questions, 1 for Mel and one for anyone who may know.

OK wearing colours to Union, I understand they're a pretty decent crowd?

Anyone know anything about Leipzig, I'm led to believe that may be livelier?
Berlin on 21:36 - Jul 12 with 7985 viewsSonofNorfolt

Should be fine.

Livelier when Union play old East German rivals, BFC Dynamo, Dynamo Dresden, Locomotiv Leipzig or Magdeburg.
You may get the odd idiot or two but as long as none of our lot large it up?

Nailed on trouble then.
Berlin on 22:50 - Jul 12 with 7923 viewsCheshireR

Berlin on 18:13 - Jul 12 by kingshill

2 questions, 1 for Mel and one for anyone who may know.

OK wearing colours to Union, I understand they're a pretty decent crowd?

Anyone know anything about Leipzig, I'm led to believe that may be livelier?

We will have no problem at Union - but possible issues in Leipzig.
Several mates have been to Loki in recent years and experienced problems with some of the locals and also the police.
The city centre of Leipzig will be fine - but around the ground may be a little more lively.
Login to get fewer ads

Berlin on 10:25 - Jul 13 with 7815 viewsstevepiece

Just booked my plane tickets last night - Friday morning to Sunday morning via Heathrow.
Berlin on 11:09 - Jul 13 with 7783 viewssmegma

8 of us. Although I'm Billy no mates until Saturday.

Mel, I've found a game on Friday evening 30 miles north of Berlin in Gruneberg, 12 euros return.
Berlin on 10:47 - Jul 17 with 7613 viewsUnionInEnglisch

Hello all,

My name is Andrew and I help run the English language site about Union Berlin.

Union is a great place to watch football and hopefully there will be a few hundred of you making the trip. Weather forecast looks good for Saturday.

First of all here's a bit of practical information you might useful: http://union-berlin.com/sample-page/...o-the-stadium/

That's basically all you need to know on getting to the ground. Unlike other German clubs, your transport ticket is not included with your match ticket so you'll have to make sure you're covered. Kick-off is at 15.30 and there are plenty of place to get something to eat and drink near the ground, so if you're coming from the centre of town I'd suggest making your way out 2 or 3 hours before the game.

Some advice re bars and places to drink. Union fans on the whole are friendly and will most likely come up and make conversation, ask you about QPR and tell you how much they love Liverpool (don't ask). The best places to get a drink are both on the walk from the station to the stadium. The Hauptmann von Köpenick pub on the corner directly opposite the station (turn right at the bottom of the stairs) is an old-school smokey boozer with Union memorabilia plastered on the walls. If the weather's good, the Union Tanke is an outdoor bar about 500m down the road where you'll also be welcome. They do also do good food from the BBQ.

There is another pub called the Abseitsfalle, which is traditionally the main Ultras bar. It's just past the railway bridge as you begin the walk through the forest. After the Crystal Palace friendly 2 years ago there were a couple of incidents there with moody ultra kids hanging round outside trying to stop Palace fans coming in. A couple idiots threw plastic pint cups at some Palace fans waiting on the other side of the road. We tried to reason with them but unfortunately they still seem to hold this perception that English football fans are all game for a scrap and they seemed to think they were rightfully defending their turf (from families, women and kids in full replica gear). As soon as a burly 6ft Palace fan tried to get in they melted and said nothing to stop him. As a season-ticket holder for 5 years drinking in there this was the first time I had seen anything of the kind and we don't drink there anymore. Thankfully after moving on to the pubs I mentioned above we saw Palace and Union fans swapping songs and shirts (despite some being 2 sizes too small) well into the evening and the majority of fans went home with a great impression of the club.

So my advice would be to stick to the pubs outlined above. There are no rules on away fans at the Abseitsfalle, but it's really nothing special and not worth going through the hassle that those Palace fans went through.

You should look to get in the ground fairly early as it's a fantastic experience. The ground itself will be redeveloped in the next 3 years and many people fear that it will lose some of its charm. Drinks in the ground are slightly more expensive but still reasonable, and of course you can drink (and smoke) on the terrace.

After the game I'd recommend heading into Köpenick old town, one of the most picturesque parts of the city (10 mins walk from the ground). On the Schlossplatz there is a great brewery which claims to be Germany's smallest.

The club shop is on Bahnhofstrasse - turn left at the bottom of the stairs as you come out of Köpenick S Bahn station and follow the main road for 200m. There are also trucks dotted around the ground selling official stuff. Unfortunately there isn't a club shop in the city yet.

Interest in this hasn't been huge, I would expect no more than 10,000 so unfortunately you won't get the full atmosphere, but it should be relatively loud still. Union were promotion candidates up until the final few games of the season and start as one of the favourites in a weakened division this year, so I'd put them as slight favourites (we beat Palace 2-0 a couple of years ago).

Berlin is a fantastic and relatively city but common sense applies. Keep your wits about you and try not to #### the locals off, you'll have a great time.

If you've got any further questions feel free to ask them here or you can write to me on twitter - @BerlinYellow

Cheers.
Berlin on 10:48 - Jul 17 with 7612 viewsUnionInEnglisch

Berlin on 10:47 - Jul 17 by UnionInEnglisch

Hello all,

My name is Andrew and I help run the English language site about Union Berlin.

Union is a great place to watch football and hopefully there will be a few hundred of you making the trip. Weather forecast looks good for Saturday.

First of all here's a bit of practical information you might useful: http://union-berlin.com/sample-page/...o-the-stadium/

That's basically all you need to know on getting to the ground. Unlike other German clubs, your transport ticket is not included with your match ticket so you'll have to make sure you're covered. Kick-off is at 15.30 and there are plenty of place to get something to eat and drink near the ground, so if you're coming from the centre of town I'd suggest making your way out 2 or 3 hours before the game.

Some advice re bars and places to drink. Union fans on the whole are friendly and will most likely come up and make conversation, ask you about QPR and tell you how much they love Liverpool (don't ask). The best places to get a drink are both on the walk from the station to the stadium. The Hauptmann von Köpenick pub on the corner directly opposite the station (turn right at the bottom of the stairs) is an old-school smokey boozer with Union memorabilia plastered on the walls. If the weather's good, the Union Tanke is an outdoor bar about 500m down the road where you'll also be welcome. They do also do good food from the BBQ.

There is another pub called the Abseitsfalle, which is traditionally the main Ultras bar. It's just past the railway bridge as you begin the walk through the forest. After the Crystal Palace friendly 2 years ago there were a couple of incidents there with moody ultra kids hanging round outside trying to stop Palace fans coming in. A couple idiots threw plastic pint cups at some Palace fans waiting on the other side of the road. We tried to reason with them but unfortunately they still seem to hold this perception that English football fans are all game for a scrap and they seemed to think they were rightfully defending their turf (from families, women and kids in full replica gear). As soon as a burly 6ft Palace fan tried to get in they melted and said nothing to stop him. As a season-ticket holder for 5 years drinking in there this was the first time I had seen anything of the kind and we don't drink there anymore. Thankfully after moving on to the pubs I mentioned above we saw Palace and Union fans swapping songs and shirts (despite some being 2 sizes too small) well into the evening and the majority of fans went home with a great impression of the club.

So my advice would be to stick to the pubs outlined above. There are no rules on away fans at the Abseitsfalle, but it's really nothing special and not worth going through the hassle that those Palace fans went through.

You should look to get in the ground fairly early as it's a fantastic experience. The ground itself will be redeveloped in the next 3 years and many people fear that it will lose some of its charm. Drinks in the ground are slightly more expensive but still reasonable, and of course you can drink (and smoke) on the terrace.

After the game I'd recommend heading into Köpenick old town, one of the most picturesque parts of the city (10 mins walk from the ground). On the Schlossplatz there is a great brewery which claims to be Germany's smallest.

The club shop is on Bahnhofstrasse - turn left at the bottom of the stairs as you come out of Köpenick S Bahn station and follow the main road for 200m. There are also trucks dotted around the ground selling official stuff. Unfortunately there isn't a club shop in the city yet.

Interest in this hasn't been huge, I would expect no more than 10,000 so unfortunately you won't get the full atmosphere, but it should be relatively loud still. Union were promotion candidates up until the final few games of the season and start as one of the favourites in a weakened division this year, so I'd put them as slight favourites (we beat Palace 2-0 a couple of years ago).

Berlin is a fantastic and relatively city but common sense applies. Keep your wits about you and try not to #### the locals off, you'll have a great time.

If you've got any further questions feel free to ask them here or you can write to me on twitter - @BerlinYellow

Cheers.

That link for the transport info - http://union-berlin.com/sample-page/getting-to-the-stadium/
Berlin on 10:52 - Jul 17 with 7601 viewsUnionInEnglisch

Berlin on 13:40 - Jul 12 by SonofNorfolt

That makes six then.

Please refer to the post I just made. Would advise you to avoid the Abseitsfalle, especially in big groups. The Union Tanke is acutally bigger than the Abseitsfalle and a lot more welcoming.
Berlin on 13:05 - Jul 17 with 7462 viewsBoston

Is there some sort of rally going on?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Berlin on 00:21 - Jul 18 with 7322 viewsSonofNorfolt

Probably too late to change. There are a lot of us meeting there as it seemed a better location
Than the small Turkish bars near the station.
I've been following Union for long enough and went to the Pokalfinale in 2001, and have been a
regular visitor since. Was at Dortmund last season and Greuther Furth last game.
Hope to put a Union flag next to mine in the ground.

Eisern Union/We are QPR which we will sing in the ground.
Berlin on 11:45 - Jul 18 with 7184 viewsUnionInEnglisch

Berlin on 00:21 - Jul 18 by SonofNorfolt

Probably too late to change. There are a lot of us meeting there as it seemed a better location
Than the small Turkish bars near the station.
I've been following Union for long enough and went to the Pokalfinale in 2001, and have been a
regular visitor since. Was at Dortmund last season and Greuther Furth last game.
Hope to put a Union flag next to mine in the ground.

Eisern Union/We are QPR which we will sing in the ground.

As you wish. Probably best avoided after the game though.
Berlin on 09:12 - Jul 19 with 7013 viewsRBlockG

Two of us flying lunch time Friday and leaving Sunday lunch time so over for Union game only.
Berlin on 12:45 - Jul 19 with 6924 viewsSonofNorfolt

Berlin on 11:45 - Jul 18 by UnionInEnglisch

Will probably head back to the centre.
We may end up in the Pilsner Urban Brewery off Alexanderplatz as we did in
February 2011 after beating Hertha you may recall.
Berlin on 21:24 - Jul 22 with 6612 viewsNortholt_Rs

Berlin on 11:45 - Jul 18 by UnionInEnglisch

https://mobile.twitter.com/andygreenpage/status/888773270211833857/video/1

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Berlin on 21:32 - Jul 22 with 6578 viewsdistortR

Berlin on 21:24 - Jul 22 by Northolt_Rs

https://mobile.twitter.com/andygreenpage/status/888773270211833857/video/1

hope you're all alright
Berlin on 21:46 - Jul 22 with 6533 viewsCheshireR

Not sure what happened but dozens of R's in the pub before the game and no bother at all. We left about 40 mins before ko and then later heard stories of it all "kicking off"
All I know is that the friendly atmosphere that prevailed before the game certainly wasn't in evidence afterwards. A few scuffles but all ok.
[Post edited 22 Jul 2017 21:52]
Berlin on 11:05 - Jul 23 with 6067 viewsdistortR

Berlin on 21:46 - Jul 22 by CheshireR

Not sure what happened but dozens of R's in the pub before the game and no bother at all. We left about 40 mins before ko and then later heard stories of it all "kicking off"
All I know is that the friendly atmosphere that prevailed before the game certainly wasn't in evidence afterwards. A few scuffles but all ok.
[Post edited 22 Jul 2017 21:52]

glad to hear it, you'll have to watch each other's backs out there now, which is a shame, hope you all have a great time.
Berlin on 11:54 - Jul 23 with 5929 viewsBoston

We can send hundreds of small boats over to the French coast....

Berlin on 18:25 - Jul 23 with 5498 viewsBoston

Berlin on 22:15 - Jul 23 with 5276 viewssmegma

Berlin on 13:05 - Jul 17 by Boston

Is there some sort of rally going on?

Berlin Pride was on Saturday. Although following sponsorship it's now called PayPal Pride. Peter Tatchell will be fuming.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024