Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ever been in an earthquake? 14:15 - Jul 21 with 2626 viewsstevec

6.6 at the epicentre I'm told, here in Rhodes the furniture and bed was shaking for the longest 20 seconds of my life and nothing to do with the wife, the worlds lightest sleeper, who managed to sleep through the entire thing.

According to our beach barman it had absolutely nothing to do with Thatcher, Brexit or the savage Tory cuts, but what would he know.

Ever been in an earthquake? on 14:23 - Jul 21 with 2615 views1MoreBrightonR

yeah, also in Greece on holiday. Got woken up and knew soemthing wasnt right but had no idea what as we were a bit sleepy.then sort of noticed the floor moving. very strange! it was a pretty small one though.
Ever been in an earthquake? on 14:33 - Jul 21 with 2603 viewsMrSheen

A few times visiting Japan. You're right, it's quite amazing how long 20 seconds lasts when you're in a creaking, swaying building.
Ever been in an earthquake? on 14:37 - Jul 21 with 2591 viewsMick_S

Your barman Steve?

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Ever been in an earthquake? on 15:43 - Jul 21 with 2530 viewsSimonJames

The Market Rasen earthquake of 2008 shook me in my armchair for quite a few seconds. But because I was very pissed at the time I decided that I'd set the vibration alarm on my phone to some mega level.

100% of people who drink water will die.

Ever been in an earthquake? on 15:43 - Jul 21 with 2530 viewsCliff_Schitzinabag

I'm in Rhodes too. Woke my wife and I up but fortunately not our little 'un, who is none the wiser that we felt it and will remain so as long as we don't get involved in too many conversations about how, um, how we sh4t ourselves.
20 seconds, was it? I was wondering how long it actually lasted.
Ever been in an earthquake? on 15:48 - Jul 21 with 2519 viewsMetallica_Hoop

The one we had about 5 years ago I woke up and thought I was being haunted.

Such a weird sensation.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Ever been in an earthquake? on 17:06 - Jul 21 with 2449 viewsTacticalR

This is why we must keep away from that doomed continent and not allow earthquakes in our country.

Air hostess clique

Ever been in an earthquake? on 18:03 - Jul 21 with 2404 viewsJAPRANGERS

I must have been in dozens in all the years I've been here. The worst one was the terrible earthquake in March 2011 in NE Honshu which lead on to the tsunami and Fukushima nuclear disaster where about 15,000 people died. The Earthquake that day lasted some 2 and a half minutes and it seemed to get weaker and stronger, weaker and stronger, as earthquakes were set off like dominoes in that area's sea bed. Most strange feeling that was as the room in my office that day was moving around with a mind of its own!
Login to get fewer ads

Ever been in an earthquake? on 18:42 - Jul 21 with 2373 viewsBklynRanger

We had one when I was in Peru in 2007. We were a couple of hundred miles away but it was still big enough to shake the building. I was lying in bed at the time with my usual grim case of food poisoning, staring at the ceiling light twirling around.

Being in the middle of one must be terrifying - my mother in law is Chilean and had to sleep outside on several occasions when she was a kid because of them. She's a spectacularly nervous woman anyway but that can't have helped.
Ever been in an earthquake? on 19:31 - Jul 21 with 2337 viewsdanehoop

Ever been in an earthquake? on 18:42 - Jul 21 by BklynRanger

We had one when I was in Peru in 2007. We were a couple of hundred miles away but it was still big enough to shake the building. I was lying in bed at the time with my usual grim case of food poisoning, staring at the ceiling light twirling around.

Being in the middle of one must be terrifying - my mother in law is Chilean and had to sleep outside on several occasions when she was a kid because of them. She's a spectacularly nervous woman anyway but that can't have helped.

A few in Slovenia when I lived there, strangest thing seeing a parquet floor in my apartment start rippling like someone running their fingers across piano keys. About 100 years ago it suffered a massive earthquake which devastated half of the city, so they take it very seriously there as they experience a lot of tremors and you learn to get out quick (which is made easier by having very few tall buildings).

When I lived in Beijing, we had a few mild ones there, but that was more aftershocks from elsewhere. The biggest was from the Sichuan earthquake in 2008, which was 1200 miles away and killed around 70, 000 people. It was so strong that even in Beijing we were getting tremors of 3-4 on the Richter Scale, our downtown office on the 28th floor about a mile from where I was working lost power and had to be evacuated, and lost quite a few windows. It was scary I think because of just how much of the Chinese capital (and most other large cities) are high rise. You just knew that a big quake would be catastrophic.

Never knowingly understood

Ever been in an earthquake? on 19:50 - Jul 21 with 2319 viewsLblock

I was in one at Wembley once

The weirdest thing

Some fella called Zamora scored and then it was 9.9 on the Richter scale
Crazy times

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Ever been in an earthquake? on 22:03 - Jul 21 with 2230 viewsSteveB

Yes, here in Dubai in 2008. I was in my Office on the 26th floor of the Dubai World Trade Centre, tapping away at my laptop when my chair literally moved sideways. Very surreal feeling indeed. Horrible. Panic ensued as everyone piled down the Staircases to evacuate.

Building was closed, everybody sent home - bonus. I never knew until that day that the UAE is on a major earthquake fault line centering in Iran. Been many tremors since, but nothing like that particular day.
Ever been in an earthquake? on 23:25 - Jul 21 with 2184 viewsPommyhoop

We had one a couple of years back.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

(No subject) (n/t) on 01:02 - Jul 22 with 2129 viewsKiwi76

Ever been in an earthquake? on 06:48 - Jul 22 with 2057 viewscyprusmel

There have been 16 earthquakes in July this year in Cyprus but not one has been over 1.5 and you don't feel them.
In the last year there have been 5 that were over 1.5 the largest was 4.5 on March 18th.
In all the years I have lived here only once have I had structural damage to my house.
All modern properties in Cyprus have to be built to earthquake standards. Anyone who has been here and seen the skeleton structures dotted around the Island will have seen the pillars holding things up. these concrete pillars are all filled with Steel re enforced bar (Rebar) The last thing put up are the walls which are mainly blocks with holes in, they are light because they don't have to bear any weight.
Ever been in an earthquake? on 07:26 - Jul 22 with 2042 viewsdistortR

over 30 years ago i was sitting on the toilet here in the isle of man, just chilling after doing my business, and my bottom got splashed for no good reason at all. Turns out i had become just another victim of a natural disaster.

Anyway, it got me thinking and i went on to design the bidet and i am now a multi-millionaire and i for one don't have to pick up dog shit for a living, oh no sir.
Ever been in an earthquake? on 15:31 - Jul 22 with 1940 viewsBoston

Done a few quakes, two sixers, one a .2 the other a .6. Fairly close to the epicenter of both, rock 'n' roll.
Also enjoyed blizzards, ice storms, and as for tsunami, where's me surf board. But, Mother Natures biggest rush for me was ....tornado. First the sirens, then the darkness, cops, shouting, cars going 100mph, then the noise.
[Post edited 22 Jul 2017 15:32]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Ever been in an earthquake? on 15:36 - Jul 22 with 1932 viewsHoopsarrr

I was at school in 2011 when the earthquake hit in Christchurch. Horrific experience.
Ever been in an earthquake? on 21:23 - Jul 22 with 1822 viewsUPPERLOFTNZ

A few of us live in the Land of the Long White cloud... and yeah, we've experienced a few Earthquakes lol!

Football is Faith
Poll: OK.. Next season. Where do you think we will finish?

Ever been in an earthquake? on 16:01 - Jul 24 with 1677 viewssmegma

Ever been in an earthquake? on 21:23 - Jul 22 by UPPERLOFTNZ

A few of us live in the Land of the Long White cloud... and yeah, we've experienced a few Earthquakes lol!

In Taiwan on way to Japan World Cup. I nearly sh@t myself. I felt physically sick for about ten seconds. My mates who lived in Taipei at the time all pointed at me and shouted 'earthquake virgin'. At least I got to know what the small bars hanging from under the pub tables were for.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024