Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Saw Dunkirk yesterday 19:34 - Jul 23 with 10558 viewsBlackCrowe

jesus.

Just can't imagine what it must've been like to have been there nor how effected you'd be for the rest of your life.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 07:33 - Jul 25 with 2592 viewsPommyhoop

Going to see it tonight.
Already warned the Mrs that I will probably get ''something in my eye''
at some stage.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 00:11 - Jul 26 with 2410 viewsHooped_Pullie

Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 07:33 - Jul 25 by Pommyhoop

Going to see it tonight.
Already warned the Mrs that I will probably get ''something in my eye''
at some stage.

Saw it this afternoon in IMAX, it's a highly out of the ordinary, Nolan-unique experience...the highest of dramas played out in the lowest of keys. Already hoping to see it again soon.

For an overwhelmingly unsentimental film, the "something in my eye" moment arrives very near the end - those of you who've seen it will know what I mean...won't go further than that out of respect for those yet to see it.
Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 05:09 - Jul 26 with 2369 viewsPommyhoop

Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 00:11 - Jul 26 by Hooped_Pullie

Saw it this afternoon in IMAX, it's a highly out of the ordinary, Nolan-unique experience...the highest of dramas played out in the lowest of keys. Already hoping to see it again soon.

For an overwhelmingly unsentimental film, the "something in my eye" moment arrives very near the end - those of you who've seen it will know what I mean...won't go further than that out of respect for those yet to see it.

Agree with all of that mate
Superb film.
How good was the music in the background?
Oscar incoming I reckon.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 07:36 - Jul 26 with 2333 viewsstowmarketrange

I went to see it yesterday in IMAX and I thought it was a brilliant film.A bit hard to follow Sometimes with the way it jumps around a bit.Maybe it's my age?
It certainly would've be a terrible situation to be for any length of time,but if the men kept their discipline like they did in the film,I take my hat off to them.
Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 10:59 - Jul 26 with 2265 viewsHooped_Pullie

Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 05:09 - Jul 26 by Pommyhoop

Agree with all of that mate
Superb film.
How good was the music in the background?
Oscar incoming I reckon.

Absolutely, Pommy, the music was incredible, massive part of the film's building tension.

Can't imagine there'll be a more Oscar-worthy score than that.
Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 12:59 - Jul 26 with 2191 viewsstowmarketrange

Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 10:59 - Jul 26 by Hooped_Pullie

Absolutely, Pommy, the music was incredible, massive part of the film's building tension.

Can't imagine there'll be a more Oscar-worthy score than that.

The yanks won't understand it at the war didn't start until 1941.
Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 00:05 - Jul 27 with 2098 viewsToast_R

Just back...

Enjoyed it very much a very well put together piece of cinema. Not sure I would hold it up as the best war movie ever though. Whilst it were gripping from start to finish there was also an incling of the Hollywood factor for one of the movie's stars ...in my opinion anyway.
The French didnt really get the recognition they deserved for their part either which is a bit of a shame. Well worth the ticket though.
Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 11:58 - Jul 27 with 2017 viewsrobith

Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 12:59 - Jul 26 by stowmarketrange

The yanks won't understand it at the war didn't start until 1941.

And in Britain we're under the misapprehension it started in 1939 ;)
Login to get fewer ads

Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 16:36 - Jul 27 with 1939 viewsthame_hoops

In the minority here I know but I thought it was just OK.

Was very sobering but odd that it was made as a 12A. A good story and well put together but I didn't think it lived up to all the hype. Just IMHO.
Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 15:25 - Jul 30 with 1810 viewsTacticalR

I haven't seen it but is it one of those Christopher Nolan movies where everybody wakes up and it was all a dream?

Air hostess clique

Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 17:00 - Jul 30 with 1763 viewsFDC

Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 00:05 - Jul 27 by Toast_R

Just back...

Enjoyed it very much a very well put together piece of cinema. Not sure I would hold it up as the best war movie ever though. Whilst it were gripping from start to finish there was also an incling of the Hollywood factor for one of the movie's stars ...in my opinion anyway.
The French didnt really get the recognition they deserved for their part either which is a bit of a shame. Well worth the ticket though.

Similar here. Enjoyed it a lot, glad to have seen it, but didn't quite live up to the hype. In fact it wouldn't even be a shoe-in to my top 3 Nolan films. Definitely worth watching though, kept me engrossed throughout
Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 01:06 - Aug 2 with 1623 viewsSonofNorfolt

As a cinematic film it was good but there are buts.

330 000 troops were rescued from the beaches by nearly 900 boats and the film doesn't give the impression of scale that took place over the ten days. 100 000 of those saved were French. Perhaps CGI may have been necessary to expand on this, not in keeping with Nolan's tradition.
As for Zimmer's score, I kept expecting the main tune to become Elgar's Nimrod but it never quite does but sounds like a clear lift to me.

As we were queuing to buy the tickets, my wife heard the couple behind us discussing which film they were going to see, and the clearly English bloke who was about my age asked whether 'Dunkirk' was based on a true story? I think they opted for 'Cars3' and Brexit.
Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 03:54 - Aug 2 with 1599 viewsFredManRave

Saw it at the weekend. Nowhere near as good as the hype, imo. Personally don't think it should be classed as a war film. It's more a "Tale of survival" (Nolans own words). There's very little dialogue whatsoever so it's difficult to get any feelings towards any of the characters. It's got to be the slowest paced "War Film" I've ever seen. And as mentioned above I don't think it depicts the scale and intensity of what Dunkirk must have actually been like.

So yeah actually dissapointed with it after all the hype. Still, if you think my take on it is harsh then you should have heard my wifes cutting remarks along the lines of, "Why was there no love story included in such a tragic situation like there was in Titanic".

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 05:19 - Aug 2 with 1591 viewsdaveinmelbourne

For my two pennies worth, I thought it was an excellent piece of cinema, very Nolan so pretty bleak. Also very very different to the Dunkirk scenes from 'Atonement' which I'd guess would be more accurate? As in nowhere near as orderly, drunken soldiers clowning about as well as the lines of men patiently awaiting rescue, those contrasts making it even more chaotic to watch. But again it's Nolan's take on an important passage of history
Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 07:56 - Aug 2 with 1550 viewsPhildo

Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 01:06 - Aug 2 by SonofNorfolt

330 000 troops were rescued from the beaches by nearly 900 boats and the film doesn't give the impression of scale that took place over the ten days. 100 000 of those saved were French. Perhaps CGI may have been necessary to expand on this, not in keeping with Nolan's tradition.
As for Zimmer's score, I kept expecting the main tune to become Elgar's Nimrod but it never quite does but sounds like a clear lift to me.

As we were queuing to buy the tickets, my wife heard the couple behind us discussing which film they were going to see, and the clearly English bloke who was about my age asked whether 'Dunkirk' was based on a true story? I think they opted for 'Cars3' and Brexit.

Totally agree. I wanted to like it but was a bit disappointed.

400k troops on a beach would have looked very different. The small boats played a very important role- for national morale later as much as at the time and many of them made 3 or 4 trips. The majority of men were taken off by bigger ships along the Mole and that was because one naval officer was clever enough to realise they could safely come aside there.

There was a huge amount of skirmishes in the air and the RAF were dominant. Hardy a bit old to play a spitfire pilot as well. He seemed to have limitless bullets which pilots certainly did not.

I don't think the film made any of that clear. I enjoyed it but it is not a definitive Dunkirk account.
Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 09:19 - Aug 2 with 1513 viewsBromleyHoop

Small spoiler alert.

Prepare yourselves, I'm about to go into rant mode.

I've never been so disappointed by a film. I love a war film and, as a patriotic Brit, was really looking forward to it.
I could go on for ages about what a poor film it was. The most obvious one was the almost total absence of CGI. If ever a film needed CGI it was this one. As has previously said, 400,000 men on a beach and Nolan gives us shots of a beach as packed as Camber Sands in November. He completely understated the death toll, the air battle, the number of small boats, the number of big boats.
As for the non exsistant dialogue, lack of storytelling, lack of characterisation, lack of context. Totally unnecessary 'triptych' which obstructed the story telling and gave us only a third of a film in a way. Of the main 'characters' in the film only two of them died and one of them fell over and banged his head! The soundtrack used a ticking clock device to build tension-really annoying.
Amongst all that heroism and loss of life and Nolan bases his storyline on two blokes trying to con their way off the beach; insulting to those that were there.
The review in the Guardian has it exactly right for me; a cold, bloodless, emotionless effort.

I've never left a cinema feeling more cheated.

ps. To make up for this sorry excuse of a film, I went home and watched 'In which we serve' from 1942 with Noel Coward, Johnny Mills and Celia Johnson...bliss.
[Post edited 2 Aug 2017 9:26]

Poll: Who is your player of the season

Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 11:06 - Aug 2 with 1485 viewsMetallica_Hoop

In related news, apparently only 10 of 'The Few' are left.

Very sad.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-40791988

I remember when there were only 7 'old contemptibles' left and now no one from that war is left.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 12:12 - Aug 2 with 1455 viewsrobith

I can't believe that people are complaining that the film didn't have poorly rendered CGI ants crawling around the beach a la Lord of the Rings. If you want to see what actually happened watch a documentary jeez.

EDIT: also - it lacked the scale of showing me 400,000 people but also I didn't like it because there wasn't enough characterisation. What a mess of a film that would be!
[Post edited 2 Aug 2017 12:14]
Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 12:26 - Aug 2 with 1420 viewsstevec

Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 09:19 - Aug 2 by BromleyHoop

Small spoiler alert.

Prepare yourselves, I'm about to go into rant mode.

I've never been so disappointed by a film. I love a war film and, as a patriotic Brit, was really looking forward to it.
I could go on for ages about what a poor film it was. The most obvious one was the almost total absence of CGI. If ever a film needed CGI it was this one. As has previously said, 400,000 men on a beach and Nolan gives us shots of a beach as packed as Camber Sands in November. He completely understated the death toll, the air battle, the number of small boats, the number of big boats.
As for the non exsistant dialogue, lack of storytelling, lack of characterisation, lack of context. Totally unnecessary 'triptych' which obstructed the story telling and gave us only a third of a film in a way. Of the main 'characters' in the film only two of them died and one of them fell over and banged his head! The soundtrack used a ticking clock device to build tension-really annoying.
Amongst all that heroism and loss of life and Nolan bases his storyline on two blokes trying to con their way off the beach; insulting to those that were there.
The review in the Guardian has it exactly right for me; a cold, bloodless, emotionless effort.

I've never left a cinema feeling more cheated.

ps. To make up for this sorry excuse of a film, I went home and watched 'In which we serve' from 1942 with Noel Coward, Johnny Mills and Celia Johnson...bliss.
[Post edited 2 Aug 2017 9:26]

Must admit I'd convinced myself that I did enjoy it but you're pretty much right about everything you say.
Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 12:28 - Aug 2 with 1421 viewsSonofNorfolt

Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 12:12 - Aug 2 by robith

I can't believe that people are complaining that the film didn't have poorly rendered CGI ants crawling around the beach a la Lord of the Rings. If you want to see what actually happened watch a documentary jeez.

EDIT: also - it lacked the scale of showing me 400,000 people but also I didn't like it because there wasn't enough characterisation. What a mess of a film that would be!
[Post edited 2 Aug 2017 12:14]

If you are going to make a film called 'Dunkirk' then get it right, otherwise call it 'Small evacuation from a beach.'
The more I think about it the more it disappoints.
For the first forty five I was gripped, but the film didn't expand the way it should have, almost as if the budget was exhausted.
I'll reiterate as a piece of cinema it was enjoyable as a piece of history, flawed.
Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 12:33 - Aug 2 with 1411 viewssmegma

Cars 3 is a true story
Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 12:45 - Aug 2 with 1405 viewsGloryHunter

A former work colleague of mine was evacuated from Dunkirk. I kept in touch with him after he retired, and we used to meet up for lunch. After a few years he eventually told me that he had had the same nightmare every night of his life - he had tried to save another soldier whose head had been split open, and he was trying to hold it together to stop his brains spilling out, but eventually he was pulled away and bundled onto a boat. He said he had never told anyone else about this before - not even his wife. The guy just carried on with a stiff upper lip, took part in the Normandy landings, and the liberation of a concentration camp, and then had a career and family - no counselling, no PTSD diagnosis - he just got on with it.
Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 13:15 - Aug 2 with 1381 viewsMrSheen

Most of the French were shipped back across the Channel via Normandy and Brittany to rejoin the campaign. France didn't surrender for another three weeks. Only 3,000 stayed to join the Free French. De Gaulle didn't come over to England until a day or so before the surrender, and was still a relatively junior battlefield commander, only promoted to General at the beginning of June. In the immediate aftermath of the evacuation the assumption was that the fight would continue, even directed from North Africa behind the protection of an intact Navy.
Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 14:04 - Aug 2 with 1353 viewsrobith

Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 12:28 - Aug 2 by SonofNorfolt

If you are going to make a film called 'Dunkirk' then get it right, otherwise call it 'Small evacuation from a beach.'
The more I think about it the more it disappoints.
For the first forty five I was gripped, but the film didn't expand the way it should have, almost as if the budget was exhausted.
I'll reiterate as a piece of cinema it was enjoyable as a piece of history, flawed.

Again, sounds like you wanted to watch a documentary.

I also don't get how the film should have expanded given the whole idea of it was contracting down to a single cross over moment.

I guarantee you if it was this grand bog standard war film with tons of CGI everyone would be talking about naff it looked. Nolan's aesthetic is to eschew CGI to make things look more real. For me that landed what happened far more than basically watching a computer game.

Art's subjective obviously, I just feel that criticising a piece of cinema for not being a literal recreation is an unfair criticism, in a way that saying it was light on characterisation isn't (a valid critique of any Nolan film imo)
Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 14:33 - Aug 2 with 1330 viewsSonofNorfolt

Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 14:04 - Aug 2 by robith

Again, sounds like you wanted to watch a documentary.

I also don't get how the film should have expanded given the whole idea of it was contracting down to a single cross over moment.

I guarantee you if it was this grand bog standard war film with tons of CGI everyone would be talking about naff it looked. Nolan's aesthetic is to eschew CGI to make things look more real. For me that landed what happened far more than basically watching a computer game.

Art's subjective obviously, I just feel that criticising a piece of cinema for not being a literal recreation is an unfair criticism, in a way that saying it was light on characterisation isn't (a valid critique of any Nolan film imo)

No, some CGI would have enhanced this film massively.
All his other films have been fantasy, here you are dealing with facts and largely they have been by-passed in favour of characters without a decent script.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024