Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
End of the combustion engine 13:15 - Jul 26 with 3396 viewsloftboy

So we have 25 years to get organised with charging points etc, anyone know how this will affect oil prices etc, obviously electricity has to be made from somewhere, but surely the all powerful oil barons are going to have their noses put out of joint.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

End of the combustion engine on 13:57 - Jul 26 with 2227 viewsMelakaRanger

Ive had an electric car for 2 years now. The only slight issue is the range of only 90 miles. But this actually covers 90% of all our journies. However the new model has a range of 160miles and the upcoming new Leaf is supposed to have a range of 200 miles.

If anyone is hesitant about getting an electric car all I can say is Go For It.
End of the combustion engine on 14:01 - Jul 26 with 2220 viewsTonto

diddums...

This is, essentially a good thing, although 25 years seems like a bloody long time considering how far electric cars have come in the last 10 years (g-whizz to tesla). But this target can be brought forward as soon as a more progressive government comes in.

I know we are going to see a lot of change in the charging infrastructure as well - currently the charge points are chunky and take up half the pavement, but I can see it eventually going to induction. As the poor sod at a Council who is in charge (scuse pun) of putting them in, its a bit of a minefield right now - we have very little money in any case, and the last thing I want to do is put in the Betamax when the world goes VHS... (young people may need to Google this analogy)

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

End of the combustion engine on 14:09 - Jul 26 with 2195 viewshubble

Indeed 'electricity has to be made from somewhere' - and to make it from oil is now antiquated technology. We have an unlimited, abundant supply - solar, wind, wave, take your pick - and the cost of generating it from such methods is dropping all the time. And that's not even mentioning other tech, some wilfully ignored or suppressed by those with vested interests. Tesla discovered you could basically get free energy from the air - in other words the energy field that exists all around us. Unfortunately for Nikola, others at the time had invested heavily in providing cabling to and from power stations - and subsequently this genius died in obscurity.

Good times ahead though for the human race if we can truly wean ourselves off fossil fuels and the entire petrodollar system that has so blighted our planet - both environmentally and sociologically. We also clearly need to avoid the nuclear option, surely Fukushima has proved that, if nothing else.
End of the combustion engine on 15:27 - Jul 26 with 2128 viewsrunningman75

I am disappointed we have not got a flux capacitor as yet.
End of the combustion engine on 16:01 - Jul 26 with 2082 viewsblacky200

End of the combustion engine on 15:27 - Jul 26 by runningman75

I am disappointed we have not got a flux capacitor as yet.

Need something better than a flux capacitor. It only got the car to 88 MPH.
End of the combustion engine on 16:27 - Jul 26 with 2058 viewsizlingtonhoop

Govey obviously read my post on the 'threat to the planet ' thread...

That's twice I've got through to him now.

Previously was the public sector March from broadcasting house to trafalgar Sq. "Gove out!" we shouted.
A colleague of mine; when I was trying to persuade him to join the union and strike declared: "these things don't change anything!"

A week later Gove was gone!
End of the combustion engine on 16:39 - Jul 26 with 2034 viewsPhildo

We have been very remiss at adding generating capacity in this country for a long time and these vehicles will need power generated to run them. We have to hope the impressive technological advances of people like Elon Musk (surely a Timothy Dalton era bond villain) make it possible to do all that in time.
End of the combustion engine on 16:55 - Jul 26 with 2002 viewsessextaxiboy

Just one more thing I am glad that I wont be around to witness, I cant imagine an electric car with the soul of an E Type or a Mustang , not to mention bikes.
Purely functional souped up hoovers driving a tin box with seats ..no thanks ...
Login to get fewer ads

End of the combustion engine on 17:01 - Jul 26 with 1983 viewsPinnerR

At the age of 67 it won't affect me. It's only new petrol and diesel cars banned from 2040, when I'll be 90 (or not), and I've never had a new car in my life. I shall continue to be a petrolhead.
End of the combustion engine on 17:33 - Jul 26 with 1930 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

I suspect drivers are in for tax rises. I hope i'm wrong!

Poll: Expectations for this season?

End of the combustion engine on 18:29 - Jul 26 with 1875 viewsSimonJames

In 25 years time we'll all be transported about in computer controlled pods.

100% of people who drink water will die.

End of the combustion engine on 23:07 - Jul 26 with 1753 viewsBrightonhoop

End of the combustion engine on 18:29 - Jul 26 by SimonJames

That or 24 hour curfews in which car ownership is banned.

Hitthe road fellas, road trip south to Rome or Spain whilst you still can, drive the Augurian coast at night with the roof down without a care in the world. Whilst you still can.
End of the combustion engine on 23:35 - Jul 26 with 1722 viewskropotkin41

Far too little far too late. By 2040 it won't matter if we all give up mechanised transport, make our own sandals out of hemp and eat nothing but organic lettuce and wholemeal bread. Catastrophic anthropogenic climate change is now advancing at such a rate and precipitating such dramatic positive feedback that we may already be passed tipping points once believed to be decades if not centuries away; if we do still have time to ameliorate the nightmare scenario now unfolding then we need to act not in 20-odd years time, but now, turning the whole economy to new and sustainable ends. 2040? FFS! A policy written by c - unts who neither understand nor care to learn about climate change.

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

End of the combustion engine on 23:54 - Jul 26 with 1699 viewsSimonJames

End of the combustion engine on 23:35 - Jul 26 by kropotkin41

Far too little far too late. By 2040 it won't matter if we all give up mechanised transport, make our own sandals out of hemp and eat nothing but organic lettuce and wholemeal bread. Catastrophic anthropogenic climate change is now advancing at such a rate and precipitating such dramatic positive feedback that we may already be passed tipping points once believed to be decades if not centuries away; if we do still have time to ameliorate the nightmare scenario now unfolding then we need to act not in 20-odd years time, but now, turning the whole economy to new and sustainable ends. 2040? FFS! A policy written by c - unts who neither understand nor care to learn about climate change.

Will we be able to blame another bad season and near relegation on this?

100% of people who drink water will die.

End of the combustion engine on 01:45 - Jul 27 with 1658 viewsBoston

End of the combustion engine on 23:35 - Jul 26 by kropotkin41

Hopefully I'll be on our 51st State by then, the Moon. Cheerio Earthling.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

End of the combustion engine on 02:36 - Jul 27 with 1646 viewsSydneyRs

End of the combustion engine on 04:41 - Jul 27 with 1629 viewsPlanetHonneywood

I fear the more apocalyptic posts of some above are closer to the reality, then my worry that some fear their vehicle of choice might lack grunt!

We should have seen electric vehicles, better transport systems and advances in renewables long before now. Bloody oil and car companies blocking such initiatives; sincerely hope these scum have a long time in the lower levels of Dante's Inferno to consider the actions of their greed.

What diminishing chances we have to redress Earth's permanent human-inflicted destruction, need to be ramped up fast. Having that monstrous twunty knob cheese in the White House and his religious retard supporters denying global warming is unfortunate to say the least! Oh, and if there is a chance that Clarkson might be peeved by it, all the better!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

End of the combustion engine on 04:45 - Jul 27 with 1625 viewsPlanetHonneywood

End of the combustion engine on 18:29 - Jul 26 by SimonJames

...and n 25 years time, it'll still be a bastard at the Hanger Lane gyratory. Trust me, I know, I've seen the future!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

End of the combustion engine on 08:37 - Jul 27 with 1553 viewsblacky200

Can't wait to see our countryside full of wind turbines, our tidal waterways full of floats and solar panels everywhere that we'll need to generate the "clean" energy needed for the 9 million cars currently on our roads.
End of the combustion engine on 08:44 - Jul 27 with 1541 viewsizlingtonhoop

End of the combustion engine on 08:37 - Jul 27 by blacky200

Can't wait to see our countryside full of wind turbines, our tidal waterways full of floats and solar panels everywhere that we'll need to generate the "clean" energy needed for the 9 million cars currently on our roads.

Yep. You can't see the filth pumped out by 9 million internal combustion engines. So let's keep it that way.

Actually you can. Travel on what is now the south London Overground loop and look back at town, you'll see a terrifying orange haze...
End of the combustion engine on 09:59 - Jul 27 with 1495 viewsdodge_stoke_r

End of the combustion engine on 13:57 - Jul 26 by MelakaRanger

Ive had an electric car for 2 years now. The only slight issue is the range of only 90 miles. But this actually covers 90% of all our journies. However the new model has a range of 160miles and the upcoming new Leaf is supposed to have a range of 200 miles.

If anyone is hesitant about getting an electric car all I can say is Go For It.

The issue I have is that a car such as the Nissan Leaf, that, if it was a petrol motor would be priced at around 13/15K. Costs 22K to the best part of 30K. Plus I'm sure that there is a cost of "leasing" the battery. Motoring that will be out of most people's range. But then gain maybe that's the master plan
End of the combustion engine on 10:32 - Jul 27 with 1463 viewsTheBlob

Nothing about electric planes then?

Poll: So how was the season for you?

End of the combustion engine on 10:44 - Jul 27 with 1448 viewsdodge_stoke_r

End of the combustion engine on 10:32 - Jul 27 by TheBlob

Nothing about electric planes then?

Exactly. Or LGV's.
End of the combustion engine on 11:01 - Jul 27 with 1432 viewshopphoops

The transition to electric cars will have a significant but marginal benefit, it will basically be a transition from petrol to natural gas. A big shift to solar and wind will make another small dent overall but no more.

A bigger change will be the jump to semi-public pooled pod thingies. It's all in the algorithms. You'll soon be able to go door to door for a fraction of uber costs, if you'll go with five random strangers; or sign up for the pod with the Spanish lesson; wait 20 minutes and you can take the one which drops off at Hammersmith not Brook Green, but is hosting an orgy.

Kropotkin is bang on of course, except there's little remaining doubt about the fact we're past the tipping point. Given this, it may be worth considering what will have a greater long term impact on the state of the planet - proactive crisis management that at least stops current levels of warming, pollution, population, agricultural land use from growing, or business as usual and catastrophic human population collapse?

Edit: referring to Kropotkin's post not FDC's.
[Post edited 27 Jul 2017 12:26]

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

End of the combustion engine on 11:38 - Jul 27 with 1403 viewsblacky200

End of the combustion engine on 08:44 - Jul 27 by izlingtonhoop

Yep. You can't see the filth pumped out by 9 million internal combustion engines. So let's keep it that way.

Actually you can. Travel on what is now the south London Overground loop and look back at town, you'll see a terrifying orange haze...

Not saying it was clean. I was making a sarcastic point that we can barely meet our electricity needs now. If you add into that equation 9 million cars that will be charged on a daily basis then we are going to need more than the one new (currently planned) power generation plant.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024