Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hopes for the new season... 16:24 - Jul 26 with 7918 viewstraininvain

Not expecting much but I'll get the ball rolling.

I'd happily take mid table mediocrity with the emergence of a maverick player who gets the fans off their seats.

Maybe the latter part is asking too much but having a Wegerle or Taarabt makes going to games much more enjoyable even when we're drawing or losing to an extent.
Hopes for the new season... on 02:36 - Jul 27 with 1539 viewsPlanetHonneywood

I ended last season saying; three defenders, maybe a striker, settled team and obvious style of play emerge.

The first two have yet to materialise and who knows about the latter two. Twice Ollie got us going really well last season, and then twice he inexplicably tinkered with it.

So, hope for the season: we don't slide into a season long relegation battle and mid-table safety is secured in early March.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Hopes for the new season... on 07:31 - Jul 27 with 1494 viewsPunteR

I also hope we keep Holloway for the whole season.
Imagine that.! One manager for a whole season....

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Hopes for the new season... on 08:35 - Jul 27 with 1459 viewsheadhoops

Pick the best 11 consistently - play them in their rightful positions and have set pattern/style of play. Don't hit the panic button if we lose a few and stick with Holloway. A cup run would be nice but would really like us to bury the Forest hoodoo.

Anywhere mid table would be OK if we are making progress on and off the pitch.

Not saying we will do anything near the same but I daresay quite a few Huddersfield fans were contemplating a tough season this time last year.

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

Hopes for the new season... on 08:38 - Jul 27 with 1453 viewsrsonist

The personnel on paper is no better than 16th/17th. I question the judgement of anyone arguing otherwise.

However - in this division it's a rarity for a team to be equal to the sum of their parts, let alone becoming a cohesive unit which exceeds that. There's a tremendous level of wastage and underachievement in this division relative to investment. I still have faith we can hang in there and build the club fairly quickly if we do things attentively and competently - teamwork, cultivate a couple of big sales, buy smart, rinse and repeat - we know the drill.

That's what we need to believe in because we don't have much margin for error any more. If we repeat last season we're toast this time. If we get hammered by sides with better players and mug ourselves off against sides with equal or worse players then that's relegation.
Hopes for the new season... on 08:46 - Jul 27 with 1445 viewsElHoop

Obviously all the usual things - progress, stability etc.

Was trying to define how my hopes might be reflected in something easily measurable. I think that the midfield needs to score goals so if say Manning, Freeman, Cousins and Wzoslek could score 16 league goals between them then I think that we'd be on the up, whereas if they only score say 6 then we might be in a load of trouble. You could change the names and numbers but at the end of the day 16 between those four might not be very many, and they won't play every game for sure, but it would signify that we were getting it together.
Hopes for the new season... on 08:55 - Jul 27 with 1426 viewsbosh67

Hopes for the new season... on 07:31 - Jul 27 by PunteR

I also hope we keep Holloway for the whole season.
Imagine that.! One manager for a whole season....

Not sure any team has lost 46 straight games but let's give it a try with Ollie

I love the guy but I am really worried that he, even in his early 50s isn't quite with it anymore in terms of how a team can and should play. Countless times last season we were beaten by teams who simply played better as a team. I think we have a half decent squad, lacking forward power an perhaps one more CB but I am not sure Ollie has the wherewithall to craft a team.

Could be a huge struggle if we get off to a bad start but hoping we finally do click as a unit.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Hopes for the new season... on 09:02 - Jul 27 with 1420 viewswhittocksRs

If we can keep the core 15 or 16 players in the squad fit, I think we'll be alright. First team on paper is a solid Championship team, especially at the back, with decent depth.

That said, we still need a goalscorer — hoping Wash will step up and Sylla can contribute 10-15 — and that might be where we struggle if things starts going badly.

Tentatively saying an 11th place finish, with most of the season somewhere slightly below that.
Hopes for the new season... on 09:29 - Jul 27 with 1396 viewsloftus77

Stay up - end of. 21st would be fantastic.

In all of my 40 seasons of suporting Rangers (crikey!!), I have never felt so certain about a relegation than this one.

Positive - expectations are low...
Login to get fewer ads

Hopes for the new season... on 09:33 - Jul 27 with 1394 viewsdavman

Hopes for the new season... on 23:56 - Jul 26 by SimonJames

I pretty sure I watched us winning at Peterborough...

Bloody facts.

It wasn't a real game, it was four quarters FFS!

OK, three wins in around 15 games - that may take us to 23rd!

Still going to be a struggle if this lot go one down in a game - the "here we go again" mentality will cut in for both the team and the fans. That is my point - they are becoming used to losing - not a good habit...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Hopes for the new season... on 09:39 - Jul 27 with 1383 viewspaulparker

Hopefully Olly gets his mojo back and we stay up
im also hoping for a Sylla/Yenni partnership upfront with 2 wingers either side
we have Freeman , Manning, Cousins, Goss , Ariel, and Scowen so our midfield is decent
what we lack is real decent fullbacks/wingbacks and a proper centre back to partner Hall
its going to be a long season and I think our lack of goals and the fact we look very weak in defence is going to be our achilles heel , I expect us to be relegated so anything above that is a bonus , but even we were relegated a season or two in league one wouldn't be the end of the world at least we would have some decent away days instead of traipsing all over the poxy north

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Hopes for the new season... on 09:42 - Jul 27 with 1378 viewsdodge_stoke_r

Hopes for the new season... on 19:34 - Jul 26 by Dorse

1. Survival without the traditional coronary.
2. Birmingham (Home): 90 consecutive minutes of vicious hatred, libellous invective and anatomically impossible suggestions aimed at their new Captain, Leader, Legend resulting in him dissolving into a sobbing heap as Manning skins him to score our fifth.
3. Birmingham (Away): see above, although with a kick in the bollocks thrown in.
4. Open top bus parade for whoever delivered the hoof in the knackers, freedom of West London, bronze effigy on South Africa Road depicting the event.

Point No 3. Classic
Hopes for the new season... on 09:49 - Jul 27 with 1359 viewsstevec

Hopes..

Midfielders who grasp the meaning of the words 'making space'.

Forwards who can actually create their own chances every now and then rather than handed them on a plate.

Basically, if you're going to pay them thousands a week, at least make some attempt at employing proactive rather than reactive footballers.
Hopes for the new season... on 09:55 - Jul 27 with 1350 viewsElHoop

Hopes for the new season... on 09:42 - Jul 27 by dodge_stoke_r

Point No 3. Classic

F*ck knows what will happen when we play Villa then.
Hopes for the new season... on 10:07 - Jul 27 with 1338 viewsAntti_Heinola

Hopes for the new season... on 09:39 - Jul 27 by paulparker

Hopefully Olly gets his mojo back and we stay up
im also hoping for a Sylla/Yenni partnership upfront with 2 wingers either side
we have Freeman , Manning, Cousins, Goss , Ariel, and Scowen so our midfield is decent
what we lack is real decent fullbacks/wingbacks and a proper centre back to partner Hall
its going to be a long season and I think our lack of goals and the fact we look very weak in defence is going to be our achilles heel , I expect us to be relegated so anything above that is a bonus , but even we were relegated a season or two in league one wouldn't be the end of the world at least we would have some decent away days instead of traipsing all over the poxy north

paul, pretty bad when your achilles heel is both a leaky defence and an inability to score goals ;)

Bare bones.

Hopes for the new season... on 10:32 - Jul 27 with 1312 viewsrobith

My hope is after that shaky start, Holloway got us looking pretty good. He then thought we were safe too early and started messing around and ended up in a right auld mess.

I hope with a bit of consistency we can play like that middle spell more often and have a bit of fun.

Other than that win some more at home, and one rollicking away day a la Brum last season
Hopes for the new season... on 10:41 - Jul 27 with 1296 viewsSomersetHoops

Well we've already failed in my preference to have an almost full squad resolved at the start of pre-season. Having had a whole season to identify targets this time round, why can't we do our business early so players bed in before the season starts. We have another situation where too many players aren't wanted or included in pre-season and more names proposed as replacements, but not sorted yet. I know there are reasons and excuses, but to be where we are now is a management failure, before the season even starts. Some of the reasons for this might be almost insurmountable, but I'm not sure we try hard enough to sort them early enough to get the most benefit from pre-season.

I may have mentioned this before, but it was obvious to me we were going to have a good season during Warnock's first pre-season in the West Country when many of his incoming players were already with us from the start and very quickly became part of the team before things started in earnest. The lack of a settled team at the early stages since has always led to a failed season and we've had much too many of those, so I'm expecting just survival, but hoping for better.

I also think players not injured and having treatment who are not included in pre-season must either have made it clear they want to leave, or the management is sending them a message that they are not wanted. It would be better if we could get them out sooner if that is the case. Its inevitable they won't all leave, so those that are left are hanging about like a bad smell and having a negative impact on the squad. I hope we don't give up too early on some of these players who are left on the payroll at the start of the season, who with a bit more encouragement and focused training could do a job for us if and when they might be needed. I know from my own experience if you want to be successful in any type of business you need to make the best use of resources you have even, when they may not be ideal.

Who's Next?

Hopes for the new season... on 10:47 - Jul 27 with 1284 viewsTacticalR

Hopes for the new season... on 10:07 - Jul 27 by Antti_Heinola

paul, pretty bad when your achilles heel is both a leaky defence and an inability to score goals ;)

Due to stringent cutbacks we can no longer afford attack or defence.

Air hostess clique

Hopes for the new season... on 10:48 - Jul 27 with 1281 viewsPunteR

Hopes for the new season... on 08:38 - Jul 27 by rsonist

The personnel on paper is no better than 16th/17th. I question the judgement of anyone arguing otherwise.

However - in this division it's a rarity for a team to be equal to the sum of their parts, let alone becoming a cohesive unit which exceeds that. There's a tremendous level of wastage and underachievement in this division relative to investment. I still have faith we can hang in there and build the club fairly quickly if we do things attentively and competently - teamwork, cultivate a couple of big sales, buy smart, rinse and repeat - we know the drill.

That's what we need to believe in because we don't have much margin for error any more. If we repeat last season we're toast this time. If we get hammered by sides with better players and mug ourselves off against sides with equal or worse players then that's relegation.

I think the personell player wise has the ability to do better than 16th/17th. Its the management and coaching staff im more worried about. But hey.. We've stuck to our guns so far with Ollie, i just hope he can find the right formula and stick with it.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Hopes for the new season... on 11:23 - Jul 27 with 1231 viewshopphoops

As last season I'm predicting with confidence that we'll finish 4th.And last year we stayed up so it obviously worked.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Hopes for the new season... on 12:16 - Jul 27 with 1178 viewsLadbrokeR

Holloway has gone some way to reconfiguring any slight aspirations that we had by stating two things first is the much publicised bomb that's gone off along with the notion that we have got to create a sustainable side. I for one don't expect to much.
but I couldn't tolerate another period of a protracted run of defeats. But what do I know. Rangers please prove me wrong.
Hopes for the new season... on 12:17 - Jul 27 with 1177 viewsichbinnaughty

Hopes for the new season... on 09:49 - Jul 27 by stevec

Hopes..

Midfielders who grasp the meaning of the words 'making space'.

Forwards who can actually create their own chances every now and then rather than handed them on a plate.

Basically, if you're going to pay them thousands a week, at least make some attempt at employing proactive rather than reactive footballers.

I like these comments.
Bravo.
Hopes for the new season... on 12:21 - Jul 27 with 1175 viewsBromleyHoop

Hopes for the new season... on 19:34 - Jul 26 by Dorse

1. Survival without the traditional coronary.
2. Birmingham (Home): 90 consecutive minutes of vicious hatred, libellous invective and anatomically impossible suggestions aimed at their new Captain, Leader, Legend resulting in him dissolving into a sobbing heap as Manning skins him to score our fifth.
3. Birmingham (Away): see above, although with a kick in the bollocks thrown in.
4. Open top bus parade for whoever delivered the hoof in the knackers, freedom of West London, bronze effigy on South Africa Road depicting the event.

Personally Ive never had a problem with Paul Robinson, model pro in my book. Don't quite understand your ire.

Poll: Who is your player of the season

Hopes for the new season... on 12:43 - Jul 27 with 1152 viewsPhildo

I am always optimistic at the beginning of the season.

I really hope we get to see Cousins as I think he could make a big difference.

If all goes well we have a squad that could trouble the playoffs. I hope Ollie stays the course and keeps things fairly stable.

I hope we do not feature in any football stings or scandals.

I haven't learnt much over the years have I?
Hopes for the new season... on 13:42 - Jul 27 with 1088 viewsLowerloftLad

18th in the league
3rd carling cup decent premier league side
3rd fa cup decent premier league side
[Post edited 27 Jul 2017 13:43]

Ohhhhhh bobby zamora

Hopes for the new season... on 13:43 - Jul 27 with 1082 viewsNorthernr

Occasional use of the wide areas for attacking purposes.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024