Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Encouraged....but where are our strikers?! 20:11 - Jul 29 with 2931 viewsPhilothesuperhoop

I went to the magnificent Stan game today and sat in the Paddock for the first time in years.

I have been fearing this season...but I was really encouraged. I thought that generally we were great. The midfield was great - Josh S was brill....he could be a great addition. Maybe there is even something about Sean Goss being as part of the back three. Let' also hope that we can keep Robinson fit.

Also maybe we have a bit of depth,because so many of the changes were OK.

However what the hell are we going to do up front?

Smith has his heart in the right place and works hard - but is poor. He can hardly win a header and simply can't run. He missed an open goal in the first half.

Washington simply just isn't the real deal at this level. He got completely dominated by the centre halves today.

Finally, let's be honest Sylla is mad as a bag of frogs! He isn't the answer to anything let alone our striking issues.

With all of the other improvements I am very worried that we are nowhere unless we buy a striker.

Here is one for you...Ricky Lambert is out of contract!!
Encouraged....but where are our strikers?! on 21:07 - Jul 29 with 2722 viewsLazyFan

We should Ogle the Bogle:
Bogle @ 5/2 on Skybet to join the Rs by PlanetHonneywood 28 Jul 2017 10:10
Is that the big brute who threatened to tear us a second one last season?

[Post edited 29 Jul 2017 21:07]

zzzzzzzzzz

Encouraged....but where are our strikers?! on 21:40 - Jul 29 with 2621 viewsbosh67

I thought Bournemouth's Tyrone Mings was just about the most elegant CB I've seen at LR since Glenn Roeder. Completely dominated our attack.

We were better with Sylla and Yeni up front than Matt and Connor. Connor made some good runs but there is just no conviction in his finishing if he has any time to think about it. Matt looked pretty slow today but as ever works like mad.

The positives today.

Josh f*cking Scowen. How good does this lad look. I am sure we can coach it all out of him but I thought he was on his own planet in terms of midfield vision. Crunching tackles and a little bit of Ale's passing skills. Could be a very important p[layer with the right partnering in MF.

Ariel back and looks sharp. Some crunching tackles. He and Luongo will fight that place out.

Mass - back and a stone heavier of muscle. Didn't get knocked off the ball at all today. Much more physical.

Manning - Picked up where he left off. I think we should play him down the left on that wing because the boy has one hell of a cross on him.

Goss - He's a big unit with a good left foot. Looked much fitter than his cameo roles last season. Actually pretty good at CB today. Good positioning and like Mings at the other end, played his way elegantly out of everything. He may be a natural football playing CB.

Yeni - After converting 2 freekicks rugby style the third was a peach and very unlucky not to go in off the post. His overall play was sharp and direct. I like up front. Again, seems to have put on weight to toughen up.

Smithies - Outstanding save (the one and only thing he really had to do) and well, he's just excellent.

We just need a powerful striker I think and we could be okay. But we are still toothless.

Enjoyable match today. Both sides played it properly. Lovely of the Bournemouth fans to stand and applaud Stan as one when he went over to them at half time. Class from their supporters.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Encouraged....but where are our strikers?! on 21:49 - Jul 29 with 2581 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

@bosh67

I think they've all been following the Mark Bircham diet regime.

Washington will have much easier days than today. Go easy!

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Encouraged....but where are our strikers?! on 21:59 - Jul 29 with 2542 viewsNortholt_Rs

Encouraged....but where are our strikers?! on 21:49 - Jul 29 by CliveWilsonSaid

@bosh67

I think they've all been following the Mark Bircham diet regime.

Washington will have much easier days than today. Go easy!

I think lots of us are really concerned about the lack of firepower up front. Neither Washington nor Smith are Championship standard. ATAF. If the club doesn't do something to address our chronic lack of a goalscoring threat then they should be done for criminal negligence.

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Encouraged....but where are our strikers?! on 22:09 - Jul 29 with 2496 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Encouraged....but where are our strikers?! on 21:59 - Jul 29 by Northolt_Rs

I think lots of us are really concerned about the lack of firepower up front. Neither Washington nor Smith are Championship standard. ATAF. If the club doesn't do something to address our chronic lack of a goalscoring threat then they should be done for criminal negligence.

I think the fault is less to do with the strikers. We lack cohesion as a team. Have done for as long as I can remember really, besides 1 or 2 seasons.

Encouraged....but where are our strikers?! on 22:21 - Jul 29 with 2439 viewsbosh67

Encouraged....but where are our strikers?! on 22:09 - Jul 29 by CliveWilsonSaid

I think the fault is less to do with the strikers. We lack cohesion as a team. Have done for as long as I can remember really, besides 1 or 2 seasons.

Agree with this. Strikers don't get the service and when they do it is down the right. We have two very good left footed players in Manning and Freeman that are both natural wide players and should be deployed as such. I saw Manning when he came here in a few games and as good as he is in midfield he is that and more as a left winger. Take your point on Washington, I like his attitude but most goals he scores come when he doesn't have time to think. When he does he tends to drag shots or look to pass. That for me is still a concern. I thought Mings was the stand out player and you are right, Washington won't face that type of player most weeks, but... Mings had him in his pocket with a lot of room to spare today.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Encouraged....but where are our strikers?! on 22:36 - Jul 29 with 2356 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Encouraged....but where are our strikers?! on 22:21 - Jul 29 by bosh67

Agree with this. Strikers don't get the service and when they do it is down the right. We have two very good left footed players in Manning and Freeman that are both natural wide players and should be deployed as such. I saw Manning when he came here in a few games and as good as he is in midfield he is that and more as a left winger. Take your point on Washington, I like his attitude but most goals he scores come when he doesn't have time to think. When he does he tends to drag shots or look to pass. That for me is still a concern. I thought Mings was the stand out player and you are right, Washington won't face that type of player most weeks, but... Mings had him in his pocket with a lot of room to spare today.

I thought Wsolek struggled today too. Not sure what they'd asked him to do. I much prefered us second half with the 3 back + 2 wing backs. It just naturally pushes the play forwards and opens the game.

Encouraged....but where are our strikers?! on 22:41 - Jul 29 with 2326 viewsbosh67

Encouraged....but where are our strikers?! on 22:36 - Jul 29 by CliveWilsonSaid

I thought Wsolek struggled today too. Not sure what they'd asked him to do. I much prefered us second half with the 3 back + 2 wing backs. It just naturally pushes the play forwards and opens the game.

I thought Goss looked great as a ball playing CB. We do need a CB that can actually play and pass their way out from the back. He may just be it. I think Wsolek suffers because everything goes down the right... still. So he gets doubled up on.

Never knowingly right.

Login to get fewer ads

Encouraged....but where are our strikers?! on 22:58 - Jul 29 with 2274 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Encouraged....but where are our strikers?! on 22:41 - Jul 29 by bosh67

I thought Goss looked great as a ball playing CB. We do need a CB that can actually play and pass their way out from the back. He may just be it. I think Wsolek suffers because everything goes down the right... still. So he gets doubled up on.

One thing I liked today. I thought we played with humour. I think Ned was genuinely shocked when they put Goss next to him. I thought he did ok too but wasn't put under any real pressure.

Encouraged....but where are our strikers?! on 23:03 - Jul 29 with 2253 viewsdaveB

real lack of players getting in the box to help the forwards, too often we had free kicks or balls out wide and the only players within 30 yards of the goal were the two forwards who were both marked, need more help from midfield
Encouraged....but where are our strikers?! on 23:11 - Jul 29 with 2213 viewsTheChef

Actually thought Perch looked OK as one of the back three, but he's still a walking red card. Had it not been a friendly he'd have been off today.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Encouraged....but where are our strikers?! on 00:35 - Jul 30 with 2026 viewsNov77

Surprised by so many positive comments, I was actually bored shitless watching that today. An entire 90 minutes without having a single shot on target.
Zero threat in the final third of the field.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Encouraged....but where are our strikers?! on 01:47 - Jul 30 with 1946 viewsconnell10

Encouraged....but where are our strikers?! on 00:35 - Jul 30 by Nov77

Surprised by so many positive comments, I was actually bored shitless watching that today. An entire 90 minutes without having a single shot on target.
Zero threat in the final third of the field.

Apart from yenis freekick!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Encouraged....but where are our strikers?! on 07:51 - Jul 30 with 1732 viewsdavman

Encouraged....but where are our strikers?! on 22:58 - Jul 29 by CliveWilsonSaid

One thing I liked today. I thought we played with humour. I think Ned was genuinely shocked when they put Goss next to him. I thought he did ok too but wasn't put under any real pressure.

Dunno what "played with humour" means, but I'D agree that Ned, OUR CAPTAIN, did look confused when Sean told him he was playing at CB alongside him. I really hope we're wrong because if the manager is trying something they haven't spoken about in training on our final pre season friendly a week before our first match, I'D say that's a worry.

If we are going into this season with Lynch, Onouha, Hall and Perch as our "regular" CBs (still refusing to count Caulker despite what Ollie says...), the players need to know what happens when Perch is suspended, Hall is injured and Lynch is sick, especially if he is going to play three at the back.

If they hadn't discussed that before today, they should do now!

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Encouraged....but where are our strikers?! on 08:19 - Jul 30 with 1668 viewshorshamHoop

Agree with most of you what you say but think Ned is also worth a mention as he pretty much dealt with everything yesterday.

Despite nearly scoring on the tenth minute which would have been amazing, we were more threatening in the second half but it is difficult to see where the goals are going to come from.

But yesterday was obviously about Stan, very emotional day. Even my 17 year old was very touched by the reception he got. I was his age when I hardly missed a game in that wonderful 75/76 season and was treated to something very special by him and the rest of the team.
Encouraged....but where are our strikers?! on 08:28 - Jul 30 with 1635 viewsenfieldargh

Encouraged....but where are our strikers?! on 07:51 - Jul 30 by davman

Dunno what "played with humour" means, but I'D agree that Ned, OUR CAPTAIN, did look confused when Sean told him he was playing at CB alongside him. I really hope we're wrong because if the manager is trying something they haven't spoken about in training on our final pre season friendly a week before our first match, I'D say that's a worry.

If we are going into this season with Lynch, Onouha, Hall and Perch as our "regular" CBs (still refusing to count Caulker despite what Ollie says...), the players need to know what happens when Perch is suspended, Hall is injured and Lynch is sick, especially if he is going to play three at the back.

If they hadn't discussed that before today, they should do now!

The Bournemouth defenders were fast, skillfull and anti their anticipation of were the ball might go and their distribution was much more superior to what were likely to face in the chumps. So an improving Connor might still surprise a few on here. This good be a good season and as has been mentioned before he has been a slow starter at all his previous clubs.

Thought every player gave as much as they should have in a friendly and it will be interesting to see how they perform when the proper games start.

Thought petrasso looked good when he came on as I've struggled to see what his game is about.

We gave a really good squad and us as fans should be a lot more positive and show a bit more faith in the club as a whole

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Encouraged....but where are our strikers?! on 08:37 - Jul 30 with 1608 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Encouraged....but where are our strikers?! on 23:03 - Jul 29 by daveB

real lack of players getting in the box to help the forwards, too often we had free kicks or balls out wide and the only players within 30 yards of the goal were the two forwards who were both marked, need more help from midfield

This!

We know we're ropey at the back and goals don't come easy. Consequently Rangers need to shift the attack and defence being responsibilities of the team more than those playing in the ack 3, 4 or 5 and those in the front 1, 2 or 3!

How we do is going to depend on how quick our midfield can shift from defending to getting in where it hurts up the other end. I think they're in for a busy season.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Encouraged....but where are our strikers?! on 08:59 - Jul 30 with 1518 viewsLadbrokeR

Encouraged....but where are our strikers?! on 23:11 - Jul 29 by TheChef

Actually thought Perch looked OK as one of the back three, but he's still a walking red card. Had it not been a friendly he'd have been off today.

In which case he probably didn't look ok. As you say he is a red card waiting to happen. Me and my pals were talking yesterday at the game saying that we would put money on Perch getting sent off twice in a season.
Encouraged....but where are our strikers?! on 09:24 - Jul 30 with 1432 viewsWatford_Ranger

The thought of Goss at CB in a Championship match slightly terrifies me.

The thought of Perch being first choice continues to terrify me.
Encouraged....but where are our strikers?! on 10:03 - Jul 30 with 1332 viewsfrancisbowles

Encouraged....but where are our strikers?! on 22:36 - Jul 29 by CliveWilsonSaid

I thought we were playing three at the back until the subs. Perch/Onuoha/Lynch first half, then Furlong/Onuoha/Perch start of second half. Wzsolek and Robinson were wing backs with Pavel being pushed very deep by their play down the left. He worked very hard and was consequently knackered when we made the subs changed to a 4231, I think not sure it could have been 4141, and he returned closer to his natural position.

After the subs we went four at the back with Furlong/Onuoha/Goss/Manning with Boysuik sitting in front.

I thought we looked better and pushed Bournemouth back.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024