Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tougher Border Controls 21:50 - Aug 2 with 11238 viewseasthertsr

The front page of the Daily Fail today complaining of tourists stuck by tougher controls by customs officials is pretty damn ironic in that that is exactly what they have been banging on about for the last two years!
[Post edited 2 Aug 2017 21:51]
Tougher Border Controls on 22:21 - Aug 2 with 7300 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

I haven't read the article in question. Apparently the delays are nothing to do with Brexit. It's new Schengen rules (we were never in Schengen). I'd imagine that with tougher border controls we should expect it to take longer to get through customs. Especially at busy times of year. I think regular travellers get special passes so it shouldn't effect them i'd have thought.
[Post edited 2 Aug 2017 22:22]

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Tougher Border Controls on 23:04 - Aug 2 with 7224 viewsGloryHunter

I agree with the OP - this is exactly what the Leavers have voted for - Control our Borders! Enjoy your extended journeys home, chaps!
Tougher Border Controls on 23:09 - Aug 2 with 7216 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Tougher Border Controls on 23:04 - Aug 2 by GloryHunter

I agree with the OP - this is exactly what the Leavers have voted for - Control our Borders! Enjoy your extended journeys home, chaps!

Wrong. I voted leave and it had nothing at all to do with immigration.

Tougher Border Controls on 23:21 - Aug 2 with 7195 viewsNorthernr

Tougher Border Controls on 23:09 - Aug 2 by CliveWilsonSaid

Wrong. I voted leave and it had nothing at all to do with immigration.

Whatever your reasons for voting out, it's not only a very clear and obvious consequence of leaving, it's also a central pillar to the leave campaign. And if you didn't see that when voting then do take a friend with you when buying a used car.

A huge part of the leave campaign and why many people voted to leave (not including yourself apparently) is the idea that too many immigrants are coming in here and doing work at ridiculously low wages which keeps pay down and reduces the number of jobs available for Brits and the number of posts paid a salary that Brits deem acceptable. Too many people coming in and getting housed here courtesy of the councils/state which is putting further pressure on already limited housing stock, particularly in London which is too expensive for even well paid people in this city to afford to buy. Too many people coming into London and putting pressure on already over-stretched, under-funded, antiquated hospitals, public transport, doctors surgeries etc. Too many people moving in and out relatively unchecked at a time of a heightened terrorist threat. The Schengen area, in particular, regularly flagged as a massive threat whenever it goes off in Paris, Belgium etc.

Fair enough. All legitimate arguments.

The solution to that is tighter border controls.

That means more than a cursory glance at the passport and a wave through. That means you'll spend more time at the passport gate. I fly to the US for work every January, 2 hour wait on an off peak afternoon at passport control in Dulles airport is absolutely standard and will be worse now that orange shitgibbon is in charge.

This is all fine. If that's what we want, democratically, as country, then fine. But for the Daily Mail, agitator in chief for all of this, to be moaning that we're starting to see longer queues at passport control because of increased checks (for whatever reason) is absolutely hilarious. They've spent the last 10 years saying there should be more stringent checks at passport control!
Tougher Border Controls on 00:29 - Aug 3 with 7115 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

@northernr

I don't particularly want to go into specifics here. I voted leave because I was given a vote. I voted leave because of absolutely mental EU regulations that I've faced at work. I mean beyond mental. I voted leave because friends/acquaintances/colleagues whose opinions I respect, voted leave.

I don't agree that 52% is a mandate for us leaving the eu.

I haven't read the mail article so can't comment although I thought these delays were mostly to do with Schengen?

Tougher Border Controls on 01:14 - Aug 3 with 7091 viewsbob566

You guys are going to be enforced to longer queues traveling in Europe. It's what you voted for
Tougher Border Controls on 01:58 - Aug 3 with 7063 viewsFDC

Fair enough. All legitimate arguments

Fair enough as a GCSE answer to a "supply and demand" question, which is the framework within which most anti-immigration arguments are couched but it bears no relation to real world economics.

#legitimateconcerns
[Post edited 3 Aug 2017 2:18]
Tougher Border Controls on 03:09 - Aug 3 with 7034 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Since the late 80s, I've probably flown, sailed, drove and walked to more border entry points than most, and while not wishing to offend, no one has cited the main, and arguably, the actual reason why you get huge queues at border controls: a lack of staff! And that in my experience is both a global and historical issue, not a recent British problem.

Brexit, Shenghen, Trump, ISIS so on and so forth, don't make any difference if, upon arrival, half the booths are not manned. I'd also add poor systems, no trained staff to manage crowds and the ignorance of some travellers when it comes to queuing, as contributory factors as well.

As for those electronic booths that are supposed to effortlessly guide arrivals through passport control? They still require a human to decide yes or no! Well for now at least. Twenty available booths, only Derek, Elaine and Sanjay rostered to work, maybe only nine booths operating.
[Post edited 3 Aug 2017 5:35]

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Login to get fewer ads

Tougher Border Controls on 07:41 - Aug 3 with 6896 viewsNorthernr

Tougher Border Controls on 03:09 - Aug 3 by PlanetHonneywood

Since the late 80s, I've probably flown, sailed, drove and walked to more border entry points than most, and while not wishing to offend, no one has cited the main, and arguably, the actual reason why you get huge queues at border controls: a lack of staff! And that in my experience is both a global and historical issue, not a recent British problem.

Brexit, Shenghen, Trump, ISIS so on and so forth, don't make any difference if, upon arrival, half the booths are not manned. I'd also add poor systems, no trained staff to manage crowds and the ignorance of some travellers when it comes to queuing, as contributory factors as well.

As for those electronic booths that are supposed to effortlessly guide arrivals through passport control? They still require a human to decide yes or no! Well for now at least. Twenty available booths, only Derek, Elaine and Sanjay rostered to work, maybe only nine booths operating.
[Post edited 3 Aug 2017 5:35]

While that is true, when I fly to the US for work they want to know what work, what it entails, how long I'm staying, how often I come, where I'm staying, if I've got return flights booked, and they want to know that of everybody else in the queue which is why we stand there two hours. When I fly to Nice, they make sure the bloke in the picture looks a bit like me and that's it, which is why we stand there for 10 minutes.
Tougher Border Controls on 07:45 - Aug 3 with 6882 viewsNorthernr

Tougher Border Controls on 00:29 - Aug 3 by CliveWilsonSaid

@northernr

I don't particularly want to go into specifics here. I voted leave because I was given a vote. I voted leave because of absolutely mental EU regulations that I've faced at work. I mean beyond mental. I voted leave because friends/acquaintances/colleagues whose opinions I respect, voted leave.

I don't agree that 52% is a mandate for us leaving the eu.

I haven't read the mail article so can't comment although I thought these delays were mostly to do with Schengen?

Whatever your reasons for voting leave, tougher border controls were an obvious consequence of it.

These delays aren't due to Brexit, but they will become the norm for Brits once it has happened and they are exactly what the Mail has been campaigning for for years. The Mail says, repeatedly, that Schengen is a security threat, now they tighten it up slightly and it's branded "a shambles".

Reading the article it's difficult not to form the impression that what they actually meant when they asked for tougher border controls is all the brown and yellow people from Eastern Europe should be interrogated and sent back, but the fine upstanding white people of middle England should still be allowed to waltz straight through, swatting the gate officials aside with their lovely blue passports as they go.
Tougher Border Controls on 07:46 - Aug 3 with 6876 viewsNorthernr

Tougher Border Controls on 01:58 - Aug 3 by FDC

Fair enough. All legitimate arguments

Fair enough as a GCSE answer to a "supply and demand" question, which is the framework within which most anti-immigration arguments are couched but it bears no relation to real world economics.

#legitimateconcerns
[Post edited 3 Aug 2017 2:18]

"Legitimate arguments" in that you could feasibly have an argument with that as your point of view (i.e. not something ridiculous like 'the earth is flat' or 'bob malcolm is quick') not because it's my point of view or something I agree with.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Tougher Border Controls on 08:26 - Aug 3 with 6813 viewsderbyhoop

There has been a tightening up of border controls across Europe. It is not anything to do with punishing UK holidaymakers, but a response to previous Daesh attacks in Belgium, France and other European cities.
The Daily Fail should not resort to lurid headlines that bear little resemblance to the truth, even if it is their raison d'etre.

And if you think it is difficult for individuals now, look forward to March 29 2019 when goods vehicles will be stopped for checks on import and export licences, country of origin certificates, tariff payments, rights to travel across EU countries. How long will it take before a truckload of components, destined for Toyota in Derby or Nissan in Sunderland, gets delayed for a day or two. And how long will those companies tolerate JIT manufacturing turning into JTL (just Too Late)? Or Welsh Lamb exports, at 60% tariffs, rotting in the lorries.
[Post edited 3 Aug 2017 8:30]

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Tougher Border Controls on 08:27 - Aug 3 with 6811 viewsBostonR

As Clive has already commented, long lines at immigration in the US is normal. I am in and out of Newark twice a month (sometimes more) and Logan in Boston and checks on incoming flights from outside the US are strenuous to say the least. The Leavers are in for a huge shock and long queues at airports for the Brits is only the start of it. You reap what you sow.
Large Corporates are drawing up plans to ensure Brexit does not damage their business and if that means leaving the UK - that will happen. Brexit will have a huge hit in the R&D sector,especially in Pharma (where we lead the world in research) and a large part of that sector are already on the move. The £ is vulnerable, as David Davies and his team fumble their way through negotiations. It beggars belief that a clown like Davies has the head-seat at the table for the UK. Word is that we (the UK) started to throw our weight around and our European colleagues laughed us out of Court! Our bill will be in the region of £60 Billion (with perhaps some relief if we can negotiate it). First question to the Leavers - where is that money coming from? I was considering moving back to the UK but I have put that on-hold for a few years as I can see "tough-times" ahead.
Tougher Border Controls on 08:54 - Aug 3 with 6743 viewsheadhoops

A lot of us will not have to worry about long queues to fly in and out of the UK. Once Brexit bites, and its going to have bigger teeth than Esther Rantzen, we wont be able to afford to go on holiday!

If you don't think that we will see an exodus of companies leaving the UK wake up now. Dozens of businesses are already looking at alternative European headquarters and thousands of the blue collar workers who do the jobs 'our' people deem below them have already left with the border control doors smacking them on the @rse on the way out.

Put another 10p in my head and I will have a rant about the Daily Fail.....

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

Tougher Border Controls on 09:00 - Aug 3 with 6727 viewshopphoops

The Mail's MO is giving angry people a buzz by making them even angrier. The coming shitshow wil give it many happy days, lots of angry people are forecast over the next few years.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Tougher Border Controls on 09:04 - Aug 3 with 6716 viewsNorthernr

Tougher Border Controls on 09:00 - Aug 3 by hopphoops

The Mail's MO is giving angry people a buzz by making them even angrier. The coming shitshow wil give it many happy days, lots of angry people are forecast over the next few years.

Yeh few of the people I trained with and know through work have been unfortunate enough to work there. Two central bits of the editorial policy
1 - story should make reader afraid, or angry, or preferably both.
2 - story needs to feature "people like us". They spend an absolute fortune on wardrobe and makeup to achieve this in their photographs. If you're giving them the standard 'Easyjet ruined our holiday' type story then as well as the journo and the photographer coming to see you, you can expect wardrobe and make-up to turn up as well to make sure you've got clothes, hair, appearance of "people like us" for the picture.

I try not to get involved in the politics on here, it's the media element that provoked me on this. The idea that the Daily Mail would be cross about any sort of stricter border controls is hilarious.
Tougher Border Controls on 09:08 - Aug 3 with 6694 viewsstevec

Suspect most of the pictures of chaos are time sensitive.

What we're not hearing, as the demand for flights is ever increasing, is the budget airlines are being shunted by various means to land in batches.

We recently arrived back from Greece at 2 in the morning. No less than than 7 Easy jet flights and 5 Thomson flights arrived back at virtually the same time, even at this ridiculous hour.

Needless to say there were huge queues at passport control and baggage took forever to get unloaded. This is also happening in reverse so whilst these failings are being aired in the newspapers, come back at another time and everything will be back to normal.

Still sh it, but normal.
Tougher Border Controls on 09:09 - Aug 3 with 6689 viewsMick_S

Tougher Border Controls on 09:00 - Aug 3 by hopphoops

I'm waiting for Diana's views on Brexit.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Tougher Border Controls on 09:21 - Aug 3 with 6649 viewsNorthernr

Tougher Border Controls on 09:08 - Aug 3 by stevec

Suspect most of the pictures of chaos are time sensitive.

What we're not hearing, as the demand for flights is ever increasing, is the budget airlines are being shunted by various means to land in batches.

We recently arrived back from Greece at 2 in the morning. No less than than 7 Easy jet flights and 5 Thomson flights arrived back at virtually the same time, even at this ridiculous hour.

Needless to say there were huge queues at passport control and baggage took forever to get unloaded. This is also happening in reverse so whilst these failings are being aired in the newspapers, come back at another time and everything will be back to normal.

Still sh it, but normal.

I don't know enough about it but I assumed the budget airlines got charged less by the airports for landing at less busy times - hence five or six RyanAir flights coming into Stansted at 1 in the morning every night.
Tougher Border Controls on 09:22 - Aug 3 with 6648 viewsJeff

Tougher Border Controls on 09:09 - Aug 3 by Mick_S

I'm waiting for Diana's views on Brexit.

according to a Psychic in the daily express, she's all for it :)

http://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/836123/Princess-diana-death-Kate-Middleton-M

Can we not knock it?

Tougher Border Controls on 10:02 - Aug 3 with 6573 viewsBrightonhoop

Daft thing is the tight security was warned about 2 months ago, and they still haven't got extra staff in to mitigate arrivals and departures with people consequently missing flights.
Flying back into Heathrow I always found wearing a Triumph Motorcycles t-shirt helped,the blokes, faced with 250 marauding Italians who dont understand the concept of queing welcomed the chance to talk motorbikes with a Brit bloke and you'd always get ushered to the front first.

We all know about the Mail, it's like a cantacorous mother in law malignantly sitting at the centre of the family setting siblings against each other and sitting back and enjoying the distress she's causing.
Tougher Border Controls on 10:31 - Aug 3 with 6521 viewsEastR

Tougher Border Controls on 07:41 - Aug 3 by Northernr

While that is true, when I fly to the US for work they want to know what work, what it entails, how long I'm staying, how often I come, where I'm staying, if I've got return flights booked, and they want to know that of everybody else in the queue which is why we stand there two hours. When I fly to Nice, they make sure the bloke in the picture looks a bit like me and that's it, which is why we stand there for 10 minutes.

Tip for anyone travelling to the US - consider going via Dublin and go through US preclearance there. Much more civilised experience and you go though as a domestic passenger at the other end.

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Tougher Border Controls on 10:36 - Aug 3 with 6511 viewstoboboly

Although this is down to staffing levels rather than anything else.

Nowt to do with UK or Brexit.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Tougher Border Controls on 10:42 - Aug 3 with 6496 viewsWatfordR

Seems to be a distinct shortage of Leavers rushing to involve themselves in this debate.

Penny dropping?
Tougher Border Controls on 10:50 - Aug 3 with 6477 viewsNorthernr

Tougher Border Controls on 10:31 - Aug 3 by EastR

Tip for anyone travelling to the US - consider going via Dublin and go through US preclearance there. Much more civilised experience and you go though as a domestic passenger at the other end.

Interesting, cheers.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024