Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
It was 25 years ago today that the SKY MondayNightFootball band began to play.. 00:44 - Aug 18 with 1652 views18StoneOfHoop

I was in mercifully brief exile from W12/W11/W10 Civilisation in poxy Waterloo/Elephant/Walworth Road/Depressing Blackfriars Road Millwall Country ShortLifeHousing SE1.

Watching the game on me todd @ The Stage Door pub behind The Old Vic with just 1 other punter a silent Manc there.

My word didn't Andy catch it off the sweet spot!?! A pearler!

Where did you watch the game middle and silver aged LFWers?
[Post edited 18 Aug 2017 0:54]

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

It was 25 years ago today that the SKY MondayNightFootball band began to play.. on 07:45 - Aug 18 with 1593 viewsthame_hoops

I thought the first year of the New Prem was when names were put on the back of the shirts? I was 14 and pretty sure I watched this with my mate at a social club in a sleepy Oxfordshire village called Chinnor.
It was 25 years ago today that the SKY MondayNightFootball band began to play.. on 07:53 - Aug 18 with 1592 viewsLblock

Sadly I recall it like yesterday

Watched in The Roebuck on Chiswick High Road with quite a few of my pals that I'm honoured to still be watching the R's with to this day
The guv'nor of the time was Conn, big no nonsense paddy with Dave Allen fingers. I distinctly remember him telling a table of Asian lads to "feck off and come back when you're thirsty" as they were watching the footy but not drinking

I recall getting a bit tiddly and thinking that we had struck gold on how to liven up Monday nights

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

It was 25 years ago today that the SKY MondayNightFootball band began to play.. on 08:21 - Aug 18 with 1574 viewsqueensparker

I was at that. A brilliant night out at Maine Road. A bit of a love-in with the City fans beforehand as well as we'd beaten United 4-1 the season before (and City 4-0) so we were quite popular up there.

In those pre-internet days I don't think anyone really realised what the Sky deal entailed and when there was fireworks and SImple Minds at the start, cheerleaders, then bloody Undercover murdering Baker Street at half time there was a lot of "what the f--k" faces going around.

What gets forgotten is it was also the first season after they changed the back pass rule (which really did change the game massively for the better, no more Hansen passing it back and forth to Grobelaar for 90 minutes). A few keepers really struggled with it, Jan Steskjal had quite a few "moments" in that game.
It was 25 years ago today that the SKY MondayNightFootball band began to play.. on 08:54 - Aug 18 with 1552 viewsterryb

I was sat on my sofa at home in Ipswich watching the game. We had subscribed to Sky Sports for the cricket world cup as a favour to our eldest son.

Tuesday morning I had to travel to the Guildford area for a three day training course (acting as a mentor). Come the Wednesday night I had to excuse myself from my mentoring to attend Loftus Road to watch us beat Southampton.

Playing Premier League games on the Monday & Wednesday. It wouldn't happen now!
It was 25 years ago today that the SKY MondayNightFootball band began to play.. on 09:18 - Aug 18 with 1530 viewsthame_hoops

Wasn't half time extended to 15mins from 10 too?
It was 25 years ago today that the SKY MondayNightFootball band began to play.. on 09:18 - Aug 18 with 1531 viewsBrianMcCarthy

We had a good craic at that one. Ourselves and City, who were getting on famously at the time, shared a few pints beforehand and then joined in for some communal anti-Sky chants. Seems a long time ago now but we really were disgusted with the cheerleading and the Americanization (see what I did there?) of the game.

If only we knew how bad it would get.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

It was 25 years ago today that the SKY MondayNightFootball band began to play.. on 09:31 - Aug 18 with 1515 viewspaulparker

I watched it in the fox & geese in Ickenham I had just started work that summer , I do recall old Gerry doing his nut as we had to play Soton (bardsley freekick) 2 days later
still a great time to be alive was the early nineties it still cost a fiver to get in the paddocks and the loft , what a team we had and I would say probably the last season that we had proper football before the whole thing SKY thing took off and went into overdrive

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

It was 25 years ago today that the SKY MondayNightFootball band began to play.. on 10:09 - Aug 18 with 1479 viewsdodge_stoke_r

It was 25 years ago today that the SKY MondayNightFootball band began to play.. on 07:45 - Aug 18 by thame_hoops

I thought the first year of the New Prem was when names were put on the back of the shirts? I was 14 and pretty sure I watched this with my mate at a social club in a sleepy Oxfordshire village called Chinnor.

I think the names came about 93/94 ish
Login to get fewer ads

It was 25 years ago today that the SKY MondayNightFootball band began to play.. on 12:49 - Aug 18 with 1425 viewsLblock

It was 25 years ago today that the SKY MondayNightFootball band began to play.. on 08:21 - Aug 18 by queensparker

I was at that. A brilliant night out at Maine Road. A bit of a love-in with the City fans beforehand as well as we'd beaten United 4-1 the season before (and City 4-0) so we were quite popular up there.

In those pre-internet days I don't think anyone really realised what the Sky deal entailed and when there was fireworks and SImple Minds at the start, cheerleaders, then bloody Undercover murdering Baker Street at half time there was a lot of "what the f--k" faces going around.

What gets forgotten is it was also the first season after they changed the back pass rule (which really did change the game massively for the better, no more Hansen passing it back and forth to Grobelaar for 90 minutes). A few keepers really struggled with it, Jan Steskjal had quite a few "moments" in that game.

Now I do not recall Undercover being part of that??!!?!?!!

Nice fella John Mathews (didn't like being called Johnny Mathis) and I recall being in Gran Canaria with him in 91.....he pulled an absolute Swedish stunner. On the plane back he spoke of little else than going back out there and marrying her....never did.

He used to DJ in Richmond in that basement club by the river, name escapes me.

He used to Slip Away now and then.

Anyway...moving on.

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

It was 25 years ago today that the SKY MondayNightFootball band began to play.. on 12:57 - Aug 18 with 1417 viewsMrSheen

It was 25 years ago today that the SKY MondayNightFootball band began to play.. on 12:49 - Aug 18 by Lblock

Nice fella John Mathews (didn't like being called Johnny Mathis) and I recall being in Gran Canaria with him in 91.....he pulled an absolute Swedish stunner. On the plane back he spoke of little else than going back out there and marrying her....never did.

Anyway...moving on.

Watched it at the house of a City-supporting friend. Didn't get Sky for another 10 years.
It was 25 years ago today that the SKY MondayNightFootball band began to play.. on 13:03 - Aug 18 with 1407 viewskingshill

I too was one of about 500 of us in the top corner behind the goal where Sinton scored.

Parked up in the cobbled streets around the ground and a lad of no more than about 11 offered to look after our car. Told him the radio had better be in it when we got back and when we did and it was gave him an extra pound. His smile was wider than mine had been when Sinton scored.
It was 25 years ago today that the SKY MondayNightFootball band began to play.. on 13:44 - Aug 18 with 1382 viewsSuperhoop83

It was 25 years ago today that the SKY MondayNightFootball band began to play.. on 12:49 - Aug 18 by Lblock

Anyway...moving on.

Park Avenue was the club in Richmond.

It always took me a day to regain normal hearing.

Suffering since 1978.

It was 25 years ago today that the SKY MondayNightFootball band began to play.. on 13:55 - Aug 18 with 1366 viewsheadhoops

I remember hurtling out of a plane, skydiving towards the maine road pitch only to be blown off course and onto the stand roof...................

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

It was 25 years ago today that the SKY MondayNightFootball band began to play.. on 14:11 - Aug 18 with 1358 viewsdaveB

Watched in at bar at Calella in Spain with some Man City fans, great night and seems like only last week
It was 25 years ago today that the SKY MondayNightFootball band began to play.. on 14:25 - Aug 18 with 1346 viewsTW_R

I like the way those highlights were edited to completely miss any of the goalmouth action!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024