Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
League cup - Boycott 14:40 - Aug 23 with 6691 viewsCorbyQPR

I am still angry at last nights team/performance & the attitude shown to the defeat by the club after.

How can we get the message across that we are not happy with the attitude towards cup competitions, especially the league cup. Would a boycott make any difference?

At the end of the day if they can't be bothered, why should we?
League cup - Boycott on 14:42 - Aug 23 with 5152 viewsdaveB

fans didn't seem to bothered last night, only 7,000 QPR fans turned up
League cup - Boycott on 14:53 - Aug 23 with 5113 viewsizlingtonhoop

League cup - Boycott on 14:42 - Aug 23 by daveB

Those (we) 7000 were bothered.
League cup - Boycott on 14:53 - Aug 23 with 5112 viewsTonto

you have a whole year to stew on this too...

however, Im surprised you didn't think of this before. its over 20 years since we showed any interest in this cup. its about 15 years since I last went to a league cup match..

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

League cup - Boycott on 14:57 - Aug 23 with 5097 viewsRs_Holy

I'm boycotting all cup matches from now on! ... made the decision at about 8:20 yesterday evening...
I did say the same thing about 5 years ago tho!
[Post edited 23 Aug 2017 14:58]
League cup - Boycott on 14:58 - Aug 23 with 5087 viewsBushRanger82

You could be on to something there.
If the club insists on taking money from fans for piss-takes like last night, then fans should refuse to attend en masse.
Think the club, Holloway, players, Fernandes, all the directors, should fork out for that dishonest spectacle, not the fans.
Might have been only 7,000 diehards at the game, but they're exactly the kind of fans the club should be looking after, not taking the piss out of.
And what about last nights programme?
Half the pages, even for the visit of Brentford, but costing the full £3 quid!
The club took the piss last night, and gave another victory over to our close rivals.
It has to stop.
League cup - Boycott on 15:13 - Aug 23 with 5022 viewsDeepcutHoop

Lost all respect for Boycott this week tbh
League cup - Boycott on 15:17 - Aug 23 with 4994 viewsCorbyQPR

League cup - Boycott on 14:58 - Aug 23 by BushRanger82

You could be on to something there.
If the club insists on taking money from fans for piss-takes like last night, then fans should refuse to attend en masse.
Think the club, Holloway, players, Fernandes, all the directors, should fork out for that dishonest spectacle, not the fans.
Might have been only 7,000 diehards at the game, but they're exactly the kind of fans the club should be looking after, not taking the piss out of.
And what about last nights programme?
Half the pages, even for the visit of Brentford, but costing the full £3 quid!
The club took the piss last night, and gave another victory over to our close rivals.
It has to stop.

Hadn't even thought about the programme, which I brought but haven't looked at yet!

Something needs to change so maybe the embarrassment of playing in front of away fans only might make the club think...

For 1, I wont be going to a LC game again, until I see a change in approach.
League cup - Boycott on 15:19 - Aug 23 with 4985 viewsMistication92

League cup - Boycott on 15:13 - Aug 23 by DeepcutHoop

:)

The League Cup will be gone within a decade anyway. PL clubs don't care about it, FL clubs don't care about it, the attendances are awful until at least the quarters. The prize money is tiny and I can't find out if the gates are split like in the FA Cup. It served a purpose to showcase floodlit football, but is unnecessary now.
Login to get fewer ads

League cup - Boycott on 15:37 - Aug 23 with 4928 viewsdaveB

League cup - Boycott on 14:53 - Aug 23 by izlingtonhoop

Those (we) 7000 were bothered.

true and I was among them but I think it works both ways, very few fans bother with cup games so club treats them as pre season games
League cup - Boycott on 15:40 - Aug 23 with 4910 viewsdaveB

League cup - Boycott on 15:19 - Aug 23 by Mistication92

:)

The League Cup will be gone within a decade anyway. PL clubs don't care about it, FL clubs don't care about it, the attendances are awful until at least the quarters. The prize money is tiny and I can't find out if the gates are split like in the FA Cup. It served a purpose to showcase floodlit football, but is unnecessary now.

it's one of only 3 cups 90% of English teams can win but most clubs including our own, are more worried about finishing 14th than winning something
League cup - Boycott on 15:42 - Aug 23 with 4899 viewsEsox_Lucius

League cup - Boycott on 15:13 - Aug 23 by DeepcutHoop

Mine went years ago, the "man" is a dinosaur. He wasn't even good to watch in his pomp.

The grass is always greener.

League cup - Boycott on 15:57 - Aug 23 with 4848 viewsCiderwithRsie

I think it would have the opposite effect, confirming the belief that no-one cares. I suppose it might hasten the day when we simply don't enter the completion at all, maybe that is for the best, but I think it would be a shame.

What would make a difference would be if the fixture sold out a week in advance, social media was buzzing with anticipation, and the crowd was up for it from the start. And yeah, if the crowd then gave the team dog's abuse if they weren't living up to that level of support.

That might get over the message that we bloody care, that anyone who put in a match-winning performance might become a cult hero, and that the club had got a financial incentive in getting to the next round and another sell-out crowd.

It won't happen though because most of us have frankly lost the will after literally decades of crap, and I for one can't blame anyone if they don't care anymore.

Being constructive for a bit, it might be worth at a fans' forum proposing massive discounts on ticket sakes for these fixtures - at very least it would be a recognition of the poor quality of product that has been on offer, and it might just produce the sort of atmosphere that would lift the team.
League cup - Boycott on 16:08 - Aug 23 with 4817 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

League cup - Boycott on 15:40 - Aug 23 by daveB

it's one of only 3 cups 90% of English teams can win but most clubs including our own, are more worried about finishing 14th than winning something

There seems to be an assumption that by picking our best players and "trying harder" we've got a chance of winning this thing. IMO the playoffs are our best chance of a big club day out. If not in this season, then another. If not in the Championship, then in League 1... Not in the Carabou fcking Cup!

Poll: Expectations for this season?

League cup - Boycott on 16:20 - Aug 23 with 4775 viewsHayesender

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if the final is played in Thailand or China within the next few years.

Don't think I'll bother again with it now after last night

Poll: Shamima Beghum

League cup - Boycott on 16:22 - Aug 23 with 4771 viewsThe_Mole

League cup - Boycott on 16:08 - Aug 23 by CliveWilsonSaid

There seems to be an assumption that by picking our best players and "trying harder" we've got a chance of winning this thing. IMO the playoffs are our best chance of a big club day out. If not in this season, then another. If not in the Championship, then in League 1... Not in the Carabou fcking Cup!

Couldn't agree with this more and what winds me up further is the backlash the players/staff etc.. get from armchair fans who don't eve attend these games!

I do fear that the FA Cup is destined for the same outcome sadly; Utd set the tone all those moons ago when they entered a fizzy pop tournament in outer Mongolia!

That said, I do believe there's a way the club can amend for last night (partly) and set a precedent for the rest of the league... Come the 1st round of the FA cup, send out a statement to all fans letting them know the clubs/Holloway's intentions for that game. They need to be as transparent and honest as possible, i.e...

"With one or two key players out injured and our main goal to reach 6th in the playoffs this year, we intend to make several changes to the starting line-up for this cup game, which will see certain fringe players and maybe some youth playing. With that in mind we are setting out admission fees accordingly; £5 adults in advance and all children under 8 FREE. Match day programmes will be half price with a reduced selective food menu."
League cup - Boycott on 16:42 - Aug 23 with 4720 viewsRANGERS4EVER

to be fair in fa cup and league cup recent history- semi finalists/finalists have seen teams like Bradford, Sunderland, Wigan, Swansea, Birmingham, Millwall, Cardiff.....etc. I'm not saying its likely, but with teams now playing weaker sides, who says we couldn't? I'm not too fussed about the cup either, i accept losing normally in it. But the mindset that we can't will just make playing in it even more pointless.

Poll: Who would you most like to see at QPR?

League cup - Boycott on 16:46 - Aug 23 with 4694 viewseastside_r

Oh come on. Where else could you watch live comedy gold like our defending last night for a tenner?
League cup - Boycott on 17:04 - Aug 23 with 4644 viewsWatfordR

League cup - Boycott on 16:22 - Aug 23 by The_Mole

Couldn't agree with this more and what winds me up further is the backlash the players/staff etc.. get from armchair fans who don't eve attend these games!

I do fear that the FA Cup is destined for the same outcome sadly; Utd set the tone all those moons ago when they entered a fizzy pop tournament in outer Mongolia!

That said, I do believe there's a way the club can amend for last night (partly) and set a precedent for the rest of the league... Come the 1st round of the FA cup, send out a statement to all fans letting them know the clubs/Holloway's intentions for that game. They need to be as transparent and honest as possible, i.e...

"With one or two key players out injured and our main goal to reach 6th in the playoffs this year, we intend to make several changes to the starting line-up for this cup game, which will see certain fringe players and maybe some youth playing. With that in mind we are setting out admission fees accordingly; £5 adults in advance and all children under 8 FREE. Match day programmes will be half price with a reduced selective food menu."

Yeah I'd agree a little honesty from the club might be welcome. Do we think that only 7000 would have turned up last night if the club said actually we're making a good cup run in this competition a priority?

Then as a fan you know where you are. You expect a strong team, and a competitive performance. Criticise those who don't turn up if you like, but why should fans put their hands in their pocket, organise their work and family commitments to prioritise a visit to LR for a game the club has no interest in. The club need to take the lead here, not the fans.

All we get from Olly is "well, the league is critical to us". Of course it is, but what are we aiming for this season. Promotion? Avoid relegation? Almost certainly something in between, so is it really beyond us to compete in the odd cup game that gets thrown up? It might be different if we really had expectations to challenge for promotion, then keeping our best players safe might be a greater priority.

Nevertheless Brentford, a club who've had a bad start to the season, could still be bothered enough to put out a team good enough to compete for their club and fans, even though they'll be every bit as worried about league performance and outcome. Have they got a bigger squad than us? Or just a bit more pride in their performance?
League cup - Boycott on 17:08 - Aug 23 with 4632 viewstimcocking

League cup - Boycott on 14:42 - Aug 23 by daveB

Well Christ, that's 7000 people who knew they'd see the youth team play and lose to our local rivals in the only thing we could theoretically ever win.
League cup - Boycott on 17:21 - Aug 23 with 4596 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

League cup - Boycott on 17:04 - Aug 23 by WatfordR

Yeah I'd agree a little honesty from the club might be welcome. Do we think that only 7000 would have turned up last night if the club said actually we're making a good cup run in this competition a priority?

Then as a fan you know where you are. You expect a strong team, and a competitive performance. Criticise those who don't turn up if you like, but why should fans put their hands in their pocket, organise their work and family commitments to prioritise a visit to LR for a game the club has no interest in. The club need to take the lead here, not the fans.

All we get from Olly is "well, the league is critical to us". Of course it is, but what are we aiming for this season. Promotion? Avoid relegation? Almost certainly something in between, so is it really beyond us to compete in the odd cup game that gets thrown up? It might be different if we really had expectations to challenge for promotion, then keeping our best players safe might be a greater priority.

Nevertheless Brentford, a club who've had a bad start to the season, could still be bothered enough to put out a team good enough to compete for their club and fans, even though they'll be every bit as worried about league performance and outcome. Have they got a bigger squad than us? Or just a bit more pride in their performance?

I think they're just a better team than us at the moment. 3 comprehensive wins out of 3 is no fluke. No one pays attention to league positions in August. I don't think our players tried to lose 4-1 last night. They actually started quite well but then they were just outplayed. It happens.

League cup - Boycott on 17:52 - Aug 23 with 4513 viewsWatfordR

League cup - Boycott on 17:21 - Aug 23 by CliveWilsonSaid

I think they're just a better team than us at the moment. 3 comprehensive wins out of 3 is no fluke. No one pays attention to league positions in August. I don't think our players tried to lose 4-1 last night. They actually started quite well but then they were just outplayed. It happens.

I'm sure they didn't try to lose. But I'd be very surprised if any of them were looking to do much more than come through the game unscathed. 10 changes to the team last night says the club wasn't remotely @rsed to win. And in fairness, my previous comments had nothing to do with whether we won or lost. They were to do with our club's attitude to the game.

Brentford went in with six that started on the weekend. Is the league not important to them?
League cup - Boycott on 18:08 - Aug 23 with 4478 viewsdaveB

I don't expect to win the cup but throwing the towel in every year before the end of August seems mad to me, far more chance of winning a cup over 7 games or just get to the last 8 than getting to the playoffs over 46 games
League cup - Boycott on 18:09 - Aug 23 with 4478 viewsoddball

left work early, travelled down from northampton to watch that.there use to be a decent following from up here now im the last man standing. but after last night ive had it myself when it comes to cup games.
League cup - Boycott on 19:19 - Aug 23 with 4369 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

League cup - Boycott on 17:52 - Aug 23 by WatfordR

I'm sure they didn't try to lose. But I'd be very surprised if any of them were looking to do much more than come through the game unscathed. 10 changes to the team last night says the club wasn't remotely @rsed to win. And in fairness, my previous comments had nothing to do with whether we won or lost. They were to do with our club's attitude to the game.

Brentford went in with six that started on the weekend. Is the league not important to them?

I think the team selection was a greater reflection of the clubs desire to do well in the league. I think most of the team selected deserved to start but came up short. I'm sure Brentford fans will be suffering a sleepless night waiting for the cup draw at 4am...

League cup - Boycott on 19:28 - Aug 23 with 4348 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

League cup - Boycott on 18:08 - Aug 23 by daveB

I don't expect to win the cup but throwing the towel in every year before the end of August seems mad to me, far more chance of winning a cup over 7 games or just get to the last 8 than getting to the playoffs over 46 games

I just don't know anymore Dave. I used to think this competition was worth going for but I just don't rate it now. Can we be sure a different team selection would have fared much better? I'm not convinced. I had a good seat last night and think the stadium looks great at the moment. Shame about the result but that's about it for me.
[Post edited 23 Aug 2017 19:30]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024