Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Time For U23s To Step Up? 17:31 - Sep 17 with 3478 viewsDorse

No agenda here, I'm genuinely interested. With the current personnel issues at the back, have the U23s got the chops to step up? Furlong and Manning have made the jump and seem to be developing well. I don't know whether Lynch will be ready for Burton - is it time for one of the U23s or do we stick with Furlong, Jon-da and Robinson?

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Time For U23s To Step Up? on 18:28 - Sep 17 with 3390 viewsHayesender

I think that's a question for smegma

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Time For U23s To Step Up? on 19:49 - Sep 17 with 3262 viewsdaveB

I think the back four that started yesterday, although not ideal, is good enough for next week, the problem will be 3 games in 6 days for the likes of Robinson and Baptise so I'd be surprised if we don't sign someone this week
Time For U23s To Step Up? on 20:07 - Sep 17 with 3228 viewsterryb

Time For U23s To Step Up? on 19:49 - Sep 17 by daveB

I think the back four that started yesterday, although not ideal, is good enough for next week, the problem will be 3 games in 6 days for the likes of Robinson and Baptise so I'd be surprised if we don't sign someone this week

Is there anyone out of contract that would be worth signing?

Alex Bruce is possibly the best available, but would he accept our wage ceiling?

Come to that, having seen him play, would he be an improvement?
Time For U23s To Step Up? on 20:54 - Sep 17 with 3149 viewsTacticalR

It's all part of Dorse's globalist agenda to install U23 sleeper agents in key positions.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2017 20:54]

Air hostess clique

Time For U23s To Step Up? on 23:26 - Sep 17 with 3005 viewsCheshireR

The current U23 defensive crop includes Osman Kakay - right back, Niko Hamalainen - centre back, Chris Paul - centre back, Giles Phillips - centre back, Alex Finney - centre back (on loan to Maidstone), Charlie Fox- centre back and Jack Williams - left back.
I think that only Kakay and Hamalainen have featured in competitive first team games for us, although Phillips did play impressively at Lokomotive Leipzig in July.
All of these lads show promise - but having watched them a time or two - I'm not sure any are currently ready for a first team slot.
The main problem being their lack of senior football. The methodology of loaning players out seems to be our prefrred option to give them some proper competitive matches. We do need to be more diligent in selecting their host club as I think that the loan of Kakay to a woeful Chesterfield team last season seems to have damaged his confidence, and may have actually hindered his development.
If pressed I would say that Phillips and Hamalainen would be ahead of Finney, Paul and Fox for a centre half position - but I suspect we will stick with the Furlong, Baptiste, Robinson combo until the more experienced reinforcements recover and return.
No doubt that some of the youngsters mentioned will continue to feature in the match day squads, but probably confined to the bench.
Time For U23s To Step Up? on 03:06 - Sep 18 with 2905 viewstimcocking

What i don't get - every time a young 'un is asked to step up, they usually do well, or do very little wrong, but they won't be picked again anyway.
Time For U23s To Step Up? on 08:02 - Sep 18 with 2808 viewsdanehoop

Time For U23s To Step Up? on 03:06 - Sep 18 by timcocking

What i don't get - every time a young 'un is asked to step up, they usually do well, or do very little wrong, but they won't be picked again anyway.

I think they are. Furlong, manning, lumley, Robinson etc. I think the club has increasingly been very good at having that pathway into the first team squad from the u23.

Never knowingly understood

Time For U23s To Step Up? on 08:23 - Sep 18 with 2784 viewsparker64

It's a massive step up. After the 'Boro game Wheeler, experienced at Div 2, said it's the mental challenge, the speed of it and having to be alert and switched on all the time. I think that's partly why Goss struggled at the Brentford game last season.
Login to get fewer ads

Time For U23s To Step Up? on 08:29 - Sep 18 with 2774 viewsDorse

I think Finney is out on loan at Maidstone.

There must be reasons Phillips, Paul and co (sounds like a haulage company) haven't featured and it can't simply be 'I don't like them' from Ollie. If they're not ready or unsuited to a particular opponent then fair enough. Both of the Millwall and Boro games might have been tricky for a new face but Burton might be a better opportunity, even if they are just included as subs.

Maybe Lynch is closer to a return than we think?

Time For U23s To Step Up? on 09:33 - Sep 18 with 2700 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

http://uboat.net/boats/u23.htm
Time For U23s To Step Up? on 09:50 - Sep 18 with 2664 viewsDorse

Time For U23s To Step Up? on 09:33 - Sep 18 by BazzaInTheLoft

http://uboat.net/boats/u23.htm

Scuttled in the Black Sea? Now there's a euphemism.

[Post edited 18 Sep 2017 9:52]

Time For U23s To Step Up? on 10:04 - Sep 18 with 2624 viewsrobith

We also have to manage the guys stepping up - throwing them in against one of the best teams in the division in a makeshift defence would be pretty harsh and could damage development - it took Furlong two loans to get those Arsenal and Palace beastings out of his syetm. Vs Burton, I'm much more open minded as the pace of the game (not disrespecting Burton here, I include us in that) will be a bit more temperate
Time For U23s To Step Up? on 10:56 - Sep 18 with 2579 viewssmegma

Time For U23s To Step Up? on 23:26 - Sep 17 by CheshireR

The current U23 defensive crop includes Osman Kakay - right back, Niko Hamalainen - centre back, Chris Paul - centre back, Giles Phillips - centre back, Alex Finney - centre back (on loan to Maidstone), Charlie Fox- centre back and Jack Williams - left back.
I think that only Kakay and Hamalainen have featured in competitive first team games for us, although Phillips did play impressively at Lokomotive Leipzig in July.
All of these lads show promise - but having watched them a time or two - I'm not sure any are currently ready for a first team slot.
The main problem being their lack of senior football. The methodology of loaning players out seems to be our prefrred option to give them some proper competitive matches. We do need to be more diligent in selecting their host club as I think that the loan of Kakay to a woeful Chesterfield team last season seems to have damaged his confidence, and may have actually hindered his development.
If pressed I would say that Phillips and Hamalainen would be ahead of Finney, Paul and Fox for a centre half position - but I suspect we will stick with the Furlong, Baptiste, Robinson combo until the more experienced reinforcements recover and return.
No doubt that some of the youngsters mentioned will continue to feature in the match day squads, but probably confined to the bench.

What Martin said. I would add that Kakay has really improved in the last two Under 23 games and looks like he did before he went on loan last season. Of the names mentioned I would say Hamalainen is the best option IF needed . And as mentioned Phillips debut in Leipzig was outstanding BUT we were playing a team from the fourth level of German football. Reads the game well , tackles robustly if necessary and rarely gets beaten for pace. He is a Alan Macca, Martin Keown type of no nonsense defender.
Time For U23s To Step Up? on 12:41 - Sep 18 with 2471 viewsdaveB

Time For U23s To Step Up? on 10:56 - Sep 18 by smegma

What Martin said. I would add that Kakay has really improved in the last two Under 23 games and looks like he did before he went on loan last season. Of the names mentioned I would say Hamalainen is the best option IF needed . And as mentioned Phillips debut in Leipzig was outstanding BUT we were playing a team from the fourth level of German football. Reads the game well , tackles robustly if necessary and rarely gets beaten for pace. He is a Alan Macca, Martin Keown type of no nonsense defender.

Has Phillips been playing much for the under 23's this season? I thought he looked promising against Peterbrough in pre season
Time For U23s To Step Up? on 15:27 - Sep 18 with 2345 viewsqprd

Time For U23s To Step Up? on 08:29 - Sep 18 by Dorse

I think Finney is out on loan at Maidstone.

There must be reasons Phillips, Paul and co (sounds like a haulage company) haven't featured and it can't simply be 'I don't like them' from Ollie. If they're not ready or unsuited to a particular opponent then fair enough. Both of the Millwall and Boro games might have been tricky for a new face but Burton might be a better opportunity, even if they are just included as subs.

Maybe Lynch is closer to a return than we think?

Game theory may provide an alternative explanation for why the U23s aren't given a chance.

Managers in England are highly risk-averse due to the short-term mentality of their fan bases. Ian Holloway is no different.

If we lose the next 2 matches, the vocal minority of our fan base will go absolutely mental, regardless of how many injuries we may have. They'll tweet Tony Fernandes telling him to sell the team, and otherwise blabber on about how Ollie and Les need to get the sack.

As a result of the short-termism of English fan bases, managers basically have no job security. If you're Ian Holloway, and you know that 3 bad results could mean you lose your job, are you going to start Chris Paul or a more experienced pro like Jack Robinson?

To the average fan, starting Chris Paul is the riskier proposition. If Paul starts, struggles and we lose, the twitter mob will criticize the decision and start breathing down Ollie's neck. If Ollie starts Robinson, Robinson struggles and we lose, Ollie is less likely to get criticized than if he gives a debut to an inexperienced youth team player.

Managers are unfortunately afraid to take (calculated) risks because they have so little job security. Until the vocal minority of our fan base learns to stomach a bad result without thinking the world is going to end, this risk aversion will continue.
Time For U23s To Step Up? on 09:52 - Sep 19 with 2077 viewsfrancisbowles

Time For U23s To Step Up? on 15:27 - Sep 18 by qprd

Game theory may provide an alternative explanation for why the U23s aren't given a chance.

Managers in England are highly risk-averse due to the short-term mentality of their fan bases. Ian Holloway is no different.

If we lose the next 2 matches, the vocal minority of our fan base will go absolutely mental, regardless of how many injuries we may have. They'll tweet Tony Fernandes telling him to sell the team, and otherwise blabber on about how Ollie and Les need to get the sack.

As a result of the short-termism of English fan bases, managers basically have no job security. If you're Ian Holloway, and you know that 3 bad results could mean you lose your job, are you going to start Chris Paul or a more experienced pro like Jack Robinson?

To the average fan, starting Chris Paul is the riskier proposition. If Paul starts, struggles and we lose, the twitter mob will criticize the decision and start breathing down Ollie's neck. If Ollie starts Robinson, Robinson struggles and we lose, Ollie is less likely to get criticized than if he gives a debut to an inexperienced youth team player.

Managers are unfortunately afraid to take (calculated) risks because they have so little job security. Until the vocal minority of our fan base learns to stomach a bad result without thinking the world is going to end, this risk aversion will continue.

Adding to that is that the opposition will target them and try and bully them into mistakes. It is such a difficult step up, particularly for a defender and we don't even have Ned to play alongside them, just Baptiste, Bidwell and other inexperienced defenders at the moment. A bad experience could ruin them as it will probably introduce elements of hesitancy and uncertainty into their game.
Time For U23s To Step Up? on 16:02 - Sep 19 with 1979 viewsfrancisbowles

Just been on the offy and Kakay, Paul and Phillips all played for the U23s yesterday but were beaten for the first time this season, 4-1 at Sheff Weds, no sign of Hamalainen though.
Time For U23s To Step Up? on 12:33 - Sep 20 with 1810 viewsDorse

Onuoha out for four months now according WLS. We might need those U23s sooner than we expect.

http://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/qpr-captain-onuoha-longer-three-months
[Post edited 20 Sep 2017 12:34]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024