Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Washington? 20:08 - Sep 23 with 9595 viewskingo

I am all for giving a player a chance but he offers absolutely nothing up front. Sylla must have really done something wrong.

RIP: Sniffer, Doug and Pat

Washington? on 20:03 - Sep 25 with 1535 viewsSpaghetti_Hoops

Washington? on 16:53 - Sep 25 by PinnerPaul

Giving up your season ticket because one player isn't playing very well??????????????

Two season tickets. Obviously Holloway's eccentric selections are the final straw rather than the only reason.

I have always watched QPR for entertainment. Even in the Paladini days it could be entertaining. The result is secondary to me.
Watching QPR, and particularly the clueless Washington, has become more like a visit to the dentist than entertainment. His performance against Burton was just average for him, as far as I'm concerned. All the usual running around, setting off too late to actually challenge for the ball, or slowing down when he looks like getting there. Weak token efforts to head it when other little blokes like Scowen and Freeman challenge for balls in the air. The usual scuffed shot. Bottling shooting when he had a good chance. Never getting on the end of a Smith flick (admittedly few in the Burton game) even though you could predict where they are going and stand and wait for them. It's all par for the course.

Some think with time, coaching and a bit of luck Washington will turn the corner. Good luck with that.
Washington? on 21:31 - Sep 25 with 1471 viewstraininvain

I thought Mackie was even worse on Saturday. Completely anonymous. At least Washington touched the ball.
Washington? on 21:54 - Sep 25 with 1426 viewsdanehoop

Washington? on 20:03 - Sep 25 by Spaghetti_Hoops

Two season tickets. Obviously Holloway's eccentric selections are the final straw rather than the only reason.

I have always watched QPR for entertainment. Even in the Paladini days it could be entertaining. The result is secondary to me.
Watching QPR, and particularly the clueless Washington, has become more like a visit to the dentist than entertainment. His performance against Burton was just average for him, as far as I'm concerned. All the usual running around, setting off too late to actually challenge for the ball, or slowing down when he looks like getting there. Weak token efforts to head it when other little blokes like Scowen and Freeman challenge for balls in the air. The usual scuffed shot. Bottling shooting when he had a good chance. Never getting on the end of a Smith flick (admittedly few in the Burton game) even though you could predict where they are going and stand and wait for them. It's all par for the course.

Some think with time, coaching and a bit of luck Washington will turn the corner. Good luck with that.

But holloway's selections this year have been eccentric and his substitutions have generally been pretty good. We have played some pretty good stuff this year, Burton aside the performances have been pretty good this season and the players really trying. We seem to be overachieving, getting quite a few more players from U23s getting towards the first team. The atmosphere is getting to be a little more like HQ used to be, and mildly less negative/toxic.

Obviously up to you whether to get season ticket or not, but your reasoning seems flawed from the outside.

Never knowingly understood

Washington? on 21:59 - Sep 25 with 1423 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Did you have STs when Stefan Moore scored one in ten?
Washington? on 09:29 - Sep 26 with 1298 viewssimmo

Washington? on 17:01 - Sep 24 by Spaghetti_Hoops

Yesterday's was a typical Washington performance reminding me why I gave up the season tickets.

There's one of you every season, but this season is particularly odd. Our home games have been very entertaining, especially Ipswich and Millwall.

Either way I am pleased you're making sure there's more space for the rest of us

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Washington? on 09:35 - Sep 26 with 1285 viewsGloucs_R

Washington? on 21:59 - Sep 25 by BazzaInTheLoft

Or Lee Charles scored against West Ham?

Poll: Warburton, What's next?

Washington? on 10:07 - Sep 26 with 1266 viewsstevec

Stefan Moore.

He was stupendously awful. Took the time to go on the Walsall Forum saying he'll probably have a brilliant first game (he scored in first 5 minutes) and stink the place out thereafter.

Only good thing I can recall from him was a run dribble and shot to score against Sheffield United sending us top of the Championship (gunfight at the OK Corral day too, I think).

Anyway, that was a run and dribble more than we've ever got from Washington.
Washington? on 10:15 - Sep 26 with 1253 viewsTacticalR

Some discussion about Washington on this week's podcast including a staunch defence of Washington by Peter Hucker.

Air hostess clique

Login to get fewer ads

Washington? on 10:19 - Sep 26 with 1247 viewsEsox_Lucius

The fact he is being discussed on an open forum is a sign that that there are mutterings; not a good thing IMO. Also, having seen some of Peter Hucker's posts on the QPR FB group I got the overwhelming impression that he knows as much about football as the rest of us. I can see why he never continued in football when he retired, it's not pleasant to find out your former idols have feet of clay. :-(

The grass is always greener.

Washington? on 11:46 - Sep 26 with 1192 viewsSpaghetti_Hoops

Funny you should mention Stefan Moore when discussing Washington.

The thing with Moore was that he was never a regular starter, 21 starts in three seasons, and nobody was stupid enough to try to build an attack around him.

No we didn't have STs then and went to about a dozen games a season home and away in those days. Good memories, the desperate 0-2 at Barnsley, the Nygaard 'wondergoal' at Leicester...
Washington? on 11:53 - Sep 26 with 1176 viewsPinnerPaul

What about Clive's mate who we got in from West Ham?

Forgotten his name - he scored once- from about 6 inches - think it was his debut?
Washington? on 11:54 - Sep 26 with 1175 viewsAntti_Heinola

Washington? on 11:46 - Sep 26 by Spaghetti_Hoops

Funny you should mention Stefan Moore when discussing Washington.

The thing with Moore was that he was never a regular starter, 21 starts in three seasons, and nobody was stupid enough to try to build an attack around him.

No we didn't have STs then and went to about a dozen games a season home and away in those days. Good memories, the desperate 0-2 at Barnsley, the Nygaard 'wondergoal' at Leicester...

I'm sure Saturday was awful, I was abroad and couldn't go, but generally this season the games have been really entertaining at LR - thoroughly enjoyed them all.
But anyone with half a brain knows that sport is not like standard entertainment. You cannot guarantee entertainment, unless maybe you're Man City or Real Madrid. In which case, please do enjoy their football from the comfort of your armchair and stop your whingeing about a mid-table Championship team with four mid-to-lower table Championship forwards.

Bare bones.

Washington? on 11:59 - Sep 26 with 1169 viewsdaveB

Saturday was a pretty poor game but I've quite enjoyed the other home league games, thought we played very well in all of them and each game been quite entertaining. Even on Saturday only one team wanted to win the game and we still managed to create several chances
Washington? on 12:05 - Sep 26 with 1157 viewsPinnerPaul

In a 46 game season, anyone expecting the same level of entertainment every game is being very ambitious!

At the moment we have the perfect 'average' record W3 D3 L3 F12 A12 and unsurprisingly we're bang mid table with that record.

There are a lot worse of than us - indeed at time of writing our next 3 oppos are all below us in the table, which is why it puzzled me that someone wrote after Saturday 'Not sure where our next point is coming from?' !!!!
Washington? on 12:11 - Sep 26 with 1151 viewsAntti_Heinola

Washington? on 12:05 - Sep 26 by PinnerPaul

In a 46 game season, anyone expecting the same level of entertainment every game is being very ambitious!

At the moment we have the perfect 'average' record W3 D3 L3 F12 A12 and unsurprisingly we're bang mid table with that record.

There are a lot worse of than us - indeed at time of writing our next 3 oppos are all below us in the table, which is why it puzzled me that someone wrote after Saturday 'Not sure where our next point is coming from?' !!!!

I love it when people write that. It's like you have a poor performance or two, and someone actually thinks that will continue for the rest of time, in the face of all evidence. Always makes me smile.
Having said that, I was laughing at people saying we might go down last season with 6 or 7 games left. And they were much closer to being right than I was!

Bare bones.

Washington? on 12:13 - Sep 26 with 1151 viewsHooparoo

Eze doesn't seem to he getting a game on
Loan at Wycombe so why not bring him back? Greco-Cox probably worth a bench spot too.

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Washington? on 12:22 - Sep 26 with 1138 viewskenthoop11

Washington? on 12:13 - Sep 26 by Hooparoo

Eze doesn't seem to he getting a game on
Loan at Wycombe so why not bring him back? Greco-Cox probably worth a bench spot too.

He's started their last 2 games.
Washington? on 13:43 - Sep 26 with 1096 viewsbacardiinbrissie

Bit late to this one but im guess that some are still trying to make Washington our newest scapegoat?
Give the bloke a break. He's an average championship striker atm and I don't think he believes he'll become a legend but give him some credit for the effort he continues to put in every week.
Then again we did have complaints a while back where Chaz had a bit of a drought....:)
Washington? on 14:02 - Sep 26 with 1076 viewsWadR

As Simmo mentioned either in this thread or the Burton match report one, one of the biggest issues with Washington is his inability to anticipate second balls and knock ons . Frequently he's on his heels, slow to react to a Smith flick on, or a loose ball.

This, coupled with the fact his defensive positional awareness and knowledge of when/where to press is so poor (foolishly, I thought after Reading that he'd improved) means that all his hard work and pace is rendered largely redundant as he's unable to utilise it effectively. He can't play up front on his own, and even when in a two, he hasn't demonstrated any real understanding with Matt Smith.

He's shown enough in the last year, with the improvements he has made to his upper body strength and his first touch, to make me think he can still potentially score double figures at this level - but not until he works on some fundamentals that are missing from his game.
Washington? on 14:35 - Sep 26 with 1035 viewsSpaghetti_Hoops

Washington? on 11:54 - Sep 26 by Antti_Heinola

I'm sure Saturday was awful, I was abroad and couldn't go, but generally this season the games have been really entertaining at LR - thoroughly enjoyed them all.
But anyone with half a brain knows that sport is not like standard entertainment. You cannot guarantee entertainment, unless maybe you're Man City or Real Madrid. In which case, please do enjoy their football from the comfort of your armchair and stop your whingeing about a mid-table Championship team with four mid-to-lower table Championship forwards.

No you have got that wrong. Three mid-to-lower Championship forwards and one who should be back in League One where he belongs. Thanks for telling a supporter of fifty years plus to watch from an armchair and stop whinging. I realise from your posts, including this one, that you are arrogant enough to really believe it's your job to tell others what to think.
Washington? on 15:03 - Sep 26 with 1009 viewsAntti_Heinola

Washington? on 14:35 - Sep 26 by Spaghetti_Hoops

No you have got that wrong. Three mid-to-lower Championship forwards and one who should be back in League One where he belongs. Thanks for telling a supporter of fifty years plus to watch from an armchair and stop whinging. I realise from your posts, including this one, that you are arrogant enough to really believe it's your job to tell others what to think.

nah mate, you can think what you like. But I'm allowed to think what I like too. It's great innit?!
Not sure where I told you what to think anyway?
Merely pointed out that if you're unable to handle some bad performances after FIFTY YEARS (well done for being born before I was, by the way) of supporting the same team then you might be happier watching someone else. That's not telling you what to think. That's giving you sound advice you'd do well to heed if you'd like to feel a bit happier... while deliberately sounding really arrogant because I know how much it winds up certain blow-hards on this site ;)

I actually think most of your points about Wash are pretty fair. He's a frustrating player, but not as bad as some make out, and certainly not even close to being as bad as some of our signings in the late 90s. My personal view is that Sylla has to play and we need to live with his less than Mackie-like energy because he's a genuine goal threat.

It was more your point about entertainment. It was unfair. As I and Simmo and Norf and others have all said, it's been pretty entertaining at LR this season, Burton apart. Easy wins against decent oppo (Reading); last minute winners (Hull); comebacks (Hull, Millwall). Been fun. But as I'm sure you know after 50 years, it can't always be like that, can it? Not for us. Even the year we won this league we got battered at Scunthorpe, FFS. And you can hardly have a go at me for saying you should go and watch from an armchair, when that's what you told yourself at the end of last season, is it not?

And if no one really did ever tell people what to think - how would anyone ever learn anything? Look at paulparker - he's a different man since I started telling him what to think on here.

Bare bones.

Washington? on 15:41 - Sep 26 with 976 viewsPinnerPaul

Washington? on 12:11 - Sep 26 by Antti_Heinola

I love it when people write that. It's like you have a poor performance or two, and someone actually thinks that will continue for the rest of time, in the face of all evidence. Always makes me smile.
Having said that, I was laughing at people saying we might go down last season with 6 or 7 games left. And they were much closer to being right than I was!

Agree with all that especially the last part, I too was saying it was ridiculous to expect 8 results to all go against us in the last two weeks, little expecting that 7 actually would!
Washington? on 15:48 - Sep 26 with 964 viewsNorthernr

Washington's not looking very good but I don't see how you can look at our games this season prior to Burton and say they haven't been entertaining.
Washington? on 15:50 - Sep 26 with 960 viewsNorthernr

Washington? on 11:53 - Sep 26 by PinnerPaul

What about Clive's mate who we got in from West Ham?

Forgotten his name - he scored once- from about 6 inches - think it was his debut?

Maiga. Insufferably bad.
Washington? on 16:28 - Sep 26 with 921 viewsAntti_Heinola

Washington? on 15:41 - Sep 26 by PinnerPaul

Agree with all that especially the last part, I too was saying it was ridiculous to expect 8 results to all go against us in the last two weeks, little expecting that 7 actually would!

and that's where i have some sympathy for Spaghetti. Can't say I was hugely enthused by the prospect of dumping £500-odd quid I frankly didn't really have on another ST after those last few weeks. I just think I've really enjoyed the games this season and they've been pretty exciting. You certainly could never say the effort isn't there, and a lot of fans in the bad times say they can forgive everything if the effort is there. And it palpably is - in difficult circumstances too, with our first choice and most of our second choice back three all unavailable.

Bare bones.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024