Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Plan following FA's review of Youth Football 14:25 - Oct 15 with 4495 viewsWrightUp5hit___

Some good points, but also a whole lot of 5hit in there

Plan following FA's review of Youth Football on 20:45 - Oct 19 with 963 viewsMrSheen

Plan following FA's review of Youth Football on 20:02 - Oct 19 by karl

I coach under 8s and at the moment they've played 'fun 4s' on a 30 x 20mt pitch from the age of 5, no keeping score, no goalie and no referee. The parents are encouraged to watch and help the kids make judgement on kick ins/corners etc and tbh it does seem to keep everyone sensible.
Next year our lot move up to 'super 5s' which is basically the same but with the introduction of a goalkeeper. They play this till they are good enough to start playing 7s across a full pitch by which time they will be 10-11, full pitch football is at U15 but they really want 13s in this or even good 12s.
Comparatively there are lots more kids playing football and although we've yet to see any adult footballers come through from this the skill levels are excellent and if there is the typical tenacity and effort associated with our game allied to these skills then we will see some huge benefits.
I'm all for letting the kids play for fun under no pressure other than their own will to win but there has to be some help along the lines of positioning etc. One area I do struggle with is the 'A' 'B' situation as it is difficult, you don't want to label kids top or bottom but tbh when we mix our 15/18 kids into teams if you put them all evenly across 4 teams then there is 1 'poor' standard player in every team and they generally don't get near the ball, they actually seem to enjoy the game as they win more than lose as opposed to when more of the poorer ones play together and consequently they all equally get the ball despite losing more games! It's not the easiest to guage and I've been picking the same kids for 3 yrs so know them well.
Edit. There is no record of results but the kids know exactly what all their results have been regardless! Usually play 6 games 8 mins one way
[Post edited 19 Oct 2017 20:13]

The only question the kids ever ask me is "What's The Score?" I tell them I thought they were keeping score.

In rugby you start with 4-a-side at 7, 5 at Under 8. The Under 9s have gone up to 7 a side and the pitches are getting bigger. The physical, technical stuff gets dripped in a little at a time, so tackling for the first time this season, but no rucks, mauls or scrums.

You can see some exceptional players at a very young age, but with others, it can take time for them to grasp the way play unfolds or to get the confidence to think they belong and so participate fully. Some start big and end up average, and others start small and slight and fill out. Don't put all your efforts into one group and turn your back on the others.

I think its ludicrous that people think the structure of the kids' game should be designed to maximise the performance of the national side. The important thing is to have as many kids wanting to play for as long as possible. You do that by giving them game time and being nice to them, not shouting at them and getting rid of ones who aren't good enough at 7 or 10. Show them the skills, and if they like playing, they'll put the time in to get good. The All Blacks aren't the best rugby team in the world because of the size of the pitches or how many are on the team. It's because kids love playing so much, that they spend hours a week, every week of their childhood getting better.
[Post edited 19 Oct 2017 20:46]
Plan following FA's review of Youth Football on 20:56 - Oct 19 with 953 viewskarl

Agree Mr Sheen
We can fairly equally divide our regulars into good/middle/poor but the important thing to remember is that one of the 'good' players will undoubtedly be friends with a poorer player and if he drops out then so might the good player, it pays to have the broad base of abilities and school hierarchy too.
We do pride ourselves that from a class of 23 kids we regularly have 15 (from a total of 18 that do come) attend training twice a week and can only really point to one girl who has dropped out although now we're going inside for the winter she may well come back again and that suggests all the different levels are having fun
Plan following FA's review of Youth Football on 21:23 - Oct 19 with 929 viewsWrightUp5hit___

If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

Vince Lombardi Jr.
Plan following FA's review of Youth Football on 22:10 - Oct 19 with 905 viewsdistortR

Plan following FA's review of Youth Football on 20:56 - Oct 19 by karl

Agree Mr Sheen
We can fairly equally divide our regulars into good/middle/poor but the important thing to remember is that one of the 'good' players will undoubtedly be friends with a poorer player and if he drops out then so might the good player, it pays to have the broad base of abilities and school hierarchy too.
We do pride ourselves that from a class of 23 kids we regularly have 15 (from a total of 18 that do come) attend training twice a week and can only really point to one girl who has dropped out although now we're going inside for the winter she may well come back again and that suggests all the different levels are having fun

surprised to see the score from my kids u12 games in the local paper today. Every sunday there are 3 teams in each little group, which means one team plays 2 games in a row, and the team that does that generally struggles in the second game. So for our lot, who pulled the short straw, it was 0-0 and then 0-4. They are a young team for the league and seeing the second result won't help their morale any.
Plan following FA's review of Youth Football on 23:17 - Oct 19 with 881 viewskarl

Plan following FA's review of Youth Football on 22:10 - Oct 19 by distortR

surprised to see the score from my kids u12 games in the local paper today. Every sunday there are 3 teams in each little group, which means one team plays 2 games in a row, and the team that does that generally struggles in the second game. So for our lot, who pulled the short straw, it was 0-0 and then 0-4. They are a young team for the league and seeing the second result won't help their morale any.

It's a hard one as I'm sure the organisers and paper think they're helping by having the results and I'm sure when a team is winning they'll love it! Get them in hoops and it'll be like 2nd nature
Plan following FA's review of Youth Football on 23:21 - Oct 19 with 875 viewskarl

In reality what they are recreating here is an element of street football where there were no parents bellowing instructions, referees getting in the way and even daft things like throw ins and free kicks. Just get the ball , beat a man, shoot and start again
Plan following FA's review of Youth Football on 04:54 - Oct 20 with 842 viewsMatch82

Plan following FA's review of Youth Football on 12:06 - Oct 16 by nadera78

Speaking as a coach of U9s I think some of those are insane. The idea that I should stand on the sidelines and not guide the kids is laughable - it would descend into a playground bundle within minutes. How are they going to develop then?

Coaches may not shout instructions but should prompt players to think for themselves.

"Oi Jonny, do you think it might be a good idea to get yourself out wide, sling it in to the big lad, far post?" "Not telling you what to do right, just encouraging you to think"
Plan following FA's review of Youth Football on 14:53 - Oct 25 with 748 viewsMrSheen

Under 17s beat Brazil 3-1, through to the final.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024