Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Our best ever passer of the ball? 12:08 - Oct 16 with 10872 viewsOakR

I rarely watch MOTD , but I did watch this weekend and saw Kevin de Bruyne's passing masterclass - it was amazing.

So it got me thinking about who we've had with an unbelievable eye for a pass, and the talent to make it happen. It also helps having people make the runs, and clearly they often come hand in hand.

The only 2 I have in my mind that standout are:

1. Ray Wilkins. I used to sit in the Loft Upper, and watching him pick up the ball from the back and thread them through the middle for Ferdinand to run onto was something you could almost rely on.

2. Adel. I don't want to start another Adel thread, but again his ability to see a pass others couldn't, and make it work was amazing. At times his delivers and passes were unplayable.

Anyway, I have an awful memory - who have I missed?
[Post edited 18 Oct 2017 11:29]

Poll: Will we stay up?

Our best ever passer of the ball? on 12:22 - Oct 20 with 1470 viewsAntti_Heinola

Our best ever passer of the ball? on 10:13 - Oct 20 by BazzaInTheLoft

I'm in my early thirties so only have Wilkins in the periphery of my memory, but it feels like he was slagged a lot at the time.

Only as manager, mate. As a player he was idolised by the fans, and everyone wanted him back as manager. The atmosphere for his first game as boss v Leeds was incredible.

Wilins made many superb passes. But the one that sticks in my mind was in a win at Ipswich, I think it was. He played Les in (of course), with this amazing ball. He needed to hit it quite hard to get it through, but not so hard that it would run to the keeper, so he used backspin. It zipped through, then almost stopped dead and Les did the rest. Genius.

Bare bones.

Our best ever passer of the ball? on 14:28 - Oct 20 with 1396 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Wilkins for me. The touch, vision, guile, weight of pass, it was all there. What's makes it all the more impressive was that he played for us in his mid to late thirties. He must have been a joy to watch in his prime.

I simply can't vote for Adel because although he pulled off 1 or 2 brilliant Hollywood passes he would often overlook a simple pass to a teammate in a better position, much to the chagrin of team and supporters alike.

Masson was before my time but sounded awesome. If I ever find a time portal I'll be sure to go back and watch him play. Whilst I'm at it I also put something in Liverpool's tea prior to the Wolves match, cut off Terry's phone before Barcelona call, and ram Paul Hart's car before it gets to Loftus Road.
Our best ever passer of the ball? on 14:38 - Oct 20 with 1389 viewsAntti_Heinola

'I simply can't vote for Adel because although he pulled off 1 or 2 brilliant Hollywood passes he would often overlook a simple pass to a teammate in a better position, much to the chagrin of team and supporters alike.'

Not true. If it was Ale, he would make the pass.

Although only because he knew Ale would give it straight back. But still. ;)

Bare bones.

Our best ever passer of the ball? on 14:58 - Oct 20 with 1372 viewsMrSheen

Our best ever passer of the ball? on 12:22 - Oct 20 by Antti_Heinola

Only as manager, mate. As a player he was idolised by the fans, and everyone wanted him back as manager. The atmosphere for his first game as boss v Leeds was incredible.

Wilins made many superb passes. But the one that sticks in my mind was in a win at Ipswich, I think it was. He played Les in (of course), with this amazing ball. He needed to hit it quite hard to get it through, but not so hard that it would run to the keeper, so he used backspin. It zipped through, then almost stopped dead and Les did the rest. Genius.

Was Palace away his first game for us? He and Peter Reid cut them to pieces, Sinton ran riot behind them, 3-0. Then Reid left for City the next week. Ah, what might have been.
Our best ever passer of the ball? on 15:55 - Oct 20 with 1355 viewspaulparker

Our best ever passer of the ball? on 14:58 - Oct 20 by MrSheen

Was Palace away his first game for us? He and Peter Reid cut them to pieces, Sinton ran riot behind them, 3-0. Then Reid left for City the next week. Ah, what might have been.

i could be wrong but wasn't that Palace game don howes first in charge ?

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Our best ever passer of the ball? on 16:06 - Oct 20 with 1350 viewsloftboy

Our best ever passer of the ball? on 15:55 - Oct 20 by paulparker

i could be wrong but wasn't that Palace game don howes first in charge ?

It was, the next week we beat Chelsea 4-2 with Tony Roberts in goal and Les Ferdinand showing us what he was capable of for the first time.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Our best ever passer of the ball? on 16:16 - Oct 20 with 1339 viewsAntti_Heinola

Our best ever passer of the ball? on 14:58 - Oct 20 by MrSheen

Might well have been! I meant his first game as a manager, when we won 3-2.
Yeah, Reid effed off to manage City didn't he?

Bare bones.

Our best ever passer of the ball? on 16:31 - Oct 20 with 1328 viewsMrSheen

Our best ever passer of the ball? on 16:16 - Oct 20 by Antti_Heinola

Might well have been! I meant his first game as a manager, when we won 3-2.
Yeah, Reid effed off to manage City didn't he?

That's right. Can hardly blame him and I wonder if the club knew and had Wilkins in as a long term replacement.
Login to get fewer ads

Our best ever passer of the ball? on 09:09 - Oct 21 with 1255 viewsmacclesfieldman

Top 2 imo and a mile ahead of the rest are Don Masson and Ray Wilkins

Wild horses couldn't drag me away...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024