Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Our best ever passer of the ball? 12:08 - Oct 16 with 10678 viewsOakR

I rarely watch MOTD , but I did watch this weekend and saw Kevin de Bruyne's passing masterclass - it was amazing.

So it got me thinking about who we've had with an unbelievable eye for a pass, and the talent to make it happen. It also helps having people make the runs, and clearly they often come hand in hand.

The only 2 I have in my mind that standout are:

1. Ray Wilkins. I used to sit in the Loft Upper, and watching him pick up the ball from the back and thread them through the middle for Ferdinand to run onto was something you could almost rely on.

2. Adel. I don't want to start another Adel thread, but again his ability to see a pass others couldn't, and make it work was amazing. At times his delivers and passes were unplayable.

Anyway, I have an awful memory - who have I missed?
[Post edited 18 Oct 2017 11:29]

Poll: Will we stay up?

Our best ever passer of the ball? on 12:21 - Oct 16 with 6859 viewsMedwayR

The two that sprang to mind for the time that I've been watching Rangers were Wilkins & Faurlin, but I think Taarabt is a good shout. Also a shout for Gallen, if you watch Ferdinand's goals from 94-95 you'll be amazed how many seemed to be laid on by the magic hat, his link-up play was excellent.

Poll: Who’s better?

Our best ever passer of the ball? on 12:30 - Oct 16 with 6841 viewsNov77

Tony Currie could hit 50 yard passes with his eyes closed. for me though Wilkins was our best.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Our best ever passer of the ball? on 12:35 - Oct 16 with 6821 viewsted_hendrix

Probably Wilkins but David Bardsley could hit a sublime pass down the wing too.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Our best ever passer of the ball? on 12:43 - Oct 16 with 6797 viewsflitwickhoop

Steve Morrow or George Kulscar

In all honesty for me it would be Faurlin, but I never saw us when we were any good in the Prem so a limited selection pool
Our best ever passer of the ball? on 13:13 - Oct 16 with 6728 viewspaesanu

Faurlin is the one I always looked forward to getting the ball, just to see what tidy pass he was going to spring.

And another shout to Kevin De Bruyne. I watched the highlights, and the weightings and vision of passing were applause-worthy.

Poll: If you see someone filming their partner driving at 160mph.. would you

Our best ever passer of the ball? on 13:20 - Oct 16 with 6706 viewseasthertsr

Don Masson was the best passer I've seen
Our best ever passer of the ball? on 13:24 - Oct 16 with 6694 viewsCamberleyR

Our best ever passer of the ball? on 13:20 - Oct 16 by easthertsr

This. Dave Sexton knew what he needed to improve the Jago team and take it to the next level.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Our best ever passer of the ball? on 13:51 - Oct 16 with 6624 viewsstevec

Beat me to it
Login to get fewer ads

Our best ever passer of the ball? on 13:53 - Oct 16 with 6621 viewsLythamR

Our best ever passer of the ball? on 13:24 - Oct 16 by CamberleyR

This. Dave Sexton knew what he needed to improve the Jago team and take it to the next level.

I started reading this thread thinking i was certainly going to put Masson in glad to see i was beaten to it.

Best progressive passer I have ever seen in the hoops, next best possibly Taraabt
Our best ever passer of the ball? on 14:05 - Oct 16 with 6595 viewsheadhoops

Masson for me as well - what a midfield! Stan, Gerry and Don Masson. Wilkins and Currie definitely up there - sorry not convinced about Adel.

KDB final pass for the Sane goal was worldclass.

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

Our best ever passer of the ball? on 14:06 - Oct 16 with 6591 viewsW7Ranger

Wilkins for me. The heartbeat of our team in the early 90's.

Every goal he scored was a blinder too! Chips, volleys, long range efforts, and even a couple of headers!
Our best ever passer of the ball? on 14:36 - Oct 16 with 6540 viewseghamranger

I can't remember Masson and Currie as I never went so much then.

Faurlin and Adel were great, but sometimes even the other players weren't expecting it.
Our best ever passer of the ball? on 14:40 - Oct 16 with 6522 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Masson was unbelievable, though I mostly have to rely on videos as I was only a nipper during his years with us.

Further down, Wilkins was the best of the last forty years. Consistently brilliant.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Our best ever passer of the ball? on 15:00 - Oct 16 with 6495 viewsEsox_Lucius

In different ways I would go with the consensus of most on here and choose more than one for the different things their passes were influential at. Wilkins, Masson, Currie & Taarabt are all equally comparable to each other with Wilkins and Masson more slightly withdrawn than Currie & Taarabt but had the ability to make the hairs on your neck stand out. Funnily enough I have an outstanding memory of each of those players in one incident except for Currie :-( Wilkins was in a reserve match where the ball was cleared from the opponents (Charlton?) box and would have landed about 5 yards from the halfway line and equidistant from the touchline and the centre circle where Ray was waiting to volley it straight back at the goal and the defenders read it and moved to block the shot; instantly Ray killed the ball on his left foot and flicked it immediately to his left where he volleyed it into the back of the net, I appreciate it wasn't a pass but by God it demonstrated his control of a football. Masson was a home Europa Cup game against Köln? where a ball was launched towards our midfield with Masson staionary underneath the dropping ball and two attackers bearing down on him he droppd his shoulder and killed the ball dead on his foot and flicked it neatly to either Hollins or Kelly I think and turned his body to avoid any contact with the attackers. Taarabt was the no look outside of foot pass to Routledge which should need no further explanation.

The grass is always greener.

Our best ever passer of the ball? on 15:57 - Oct 16 with 6440 viewspeejaybee

Dons Residence now
http://www.thegrangebedandbreakfastnotts.co.uk/

If at first you dont succeed, pack up and f**k off home.

Our best ever passer of the ball? on 16:00 - Oct 16 with 6423 viewsloftus77

Our best ever passer of the ball? on 12:30 - Oct 16 by Nov77

Tony Currie could hit 50 yard passes with his eyes closed. for me though Wilkins was our best.

Amazing isn't it? The immediate person I thought of when I saw the title of this thread was Tony Currie - even after all these years. I can't remember anyone better.
Our best ever passer of the ball? on 16:51 - Oct 16 with 6357 viewsThe_Mole

I thought Wilkins and Taarabt before I opened the thread!

Adel was something else, would find a pass through the eye of a needle and that was after beating two players and probably demonstrating a nut-meg to boast!

Paul Merson jizzed his pants on Soccer Saturday saying he'd just witnessed the best assist ever by De Bruyne... Mr Merson, I urge you to Google 'Adel vs. Coventry for Wayne Routledge!'
Our best ever passer of the ball? on 17:02 - Oct 16 with 6341 viewsGroveR

Our best ever passer of the ball? on 16:51 - Oct 16 by The_Mole

I thought Wilkins and Taarabt before I opened the thread!

Adel was something else, would find a pass through the eye of a needle and that was after beating two players and probably demonstrating a nut-meg to boast!

Paul Merson jizzed his pants on Soccer Saturday saying he'd just witnessed the best assist ever by De Bruyne... Mr Merson, I urge you to Google 'Adel vs. Coventry for Wayne Routledge!'

Or the layoff for Sean Wright-Philips goal at the scum - so good I reckon Stephen Hawkins would have buried it.
Our best ever passer of the ball? on 19:18 - Oct 16 with 6246 viewsPinnerPaul

Yep - he gets my vote.

Hardly gets a mention when THAT team is mentioned, but for me, it was him that made the whole thing work.
Our best ever passer of the ball? on 19:40 - Oct 16 with 6217 viewsjohncharles

Don Masson. Lots of players can hit a teammate on the other side of the field but Masson would drop it gently on your toe.
Stanley was pretty good at that too.

Strong and stable my arse.

Our best ever passer of the ball? on 19:44 - Oct 16 with 6209 viewsonlyrinmoray

Our best ever passer of the ball? on 17:02 - Oct 16 by GroveR

Or the layoff for Sean Wright-Philips goal at the scum - so good I reckon Stephen Hawkins would have buried it.

Agree Adels pass to Wayne Routledge and his finish a thing of beauty
Our best ever passer of the ball? on 20:32 - Oct 16 with 6128 viewsBeauRanger

Got to be Wilkins for me absolutely sublime
Our best ever passer of the ball? on 21:46 - Oct 16 with 6033 viewsblacky200

Yep have to agree with most on here. In my 40 years going its got to be Super Ray. On a side note about Ray, I remember a reserve game he was playing in as he was just coming back from injury. The ball goes out for a throw in and Dominic Iorfa picks it to take the throw. Ray shouts at him to wait and let ray take the throw. So Ray runs across the pitch and DI waits till Ray is about 3 feet away then throws the ball over his head straight to an opponent. Ray had a mouth on him that day
Our best ever passer of the ball? on 21:47 - Oct 16 with 6033 viewsOakR

I never saw Masson or Currie, wishing I had from the comments above.

So we're going back to the 70s, so around 50 years, and only a few names mentioned which I guess shows how rare a truly amazing passer of the ball comes along. We basically have:

Masson
Currie
Wilkins
Adel

Makes you think better appreciate the next one we get as they don't come along often!

Honorable mentions:
Faurlin, Bardsley.

I love Faurlin, but he was in a different class for me, more about keeping the ball moving and getting us playing.

Poll: Will we stay up?

Our best ever passer of the ball? on 23:15 - Oct 16 with 5941 viewsBoston

Excellent choice, slips under the radar with most fans as he was surrounded by so much talent.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024