Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hall and Cousins start for Under 23s 14:02 - Oct 16 with 4885 viewssmegma

Charlton away at the Valley.
1 Lumley 2 Kakay 3 Hamalainen 4 Hall 5 Phillips 6 Wallen 7 Smyth 8 Cousins 9 Grego Cox 10 Akinola 11 Shodipo
[Post edited 16 Oct 2017 14:16]
Hall and Cousins start for Under 23s on 17:08 - Oct 16 with 1765 viewsPunteR

cheers for the updates Smegma

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Hall and Cousins start for Under 23s on 17:21 - Oct 16 with 1732 viewssmegma

Hall and Cousins start for Under 23s on 16:59 - Oct 16 by ozranger

Just back..

That was a game worth attending, especially with the loud Charlton supporters sitting behind us. They went quiet pretty early in the second half. In the first half we were poor and in some cases we looked tired, as if we'd had a hard training session earlier this morning. We gave the ball away too easily and they capitalised. Hall was good, but not great and lacks pace at present. Cousins was trying to be a midfield distributor of the ball, but his first few touches went to them instead of us. On many occasions the defensive midfielders had to pass backwards because there was little or no movement up front. Charlton deserved the lead, but perhaps not by three. The ref allowed for some ten plus minutes of time added on and there were definitely not that much to add on. Just before the break we lost one of our big defenders, Phillips, as he was chasing down their forward, who eventually scored their third. Did not see what happened, but it looked like he may have crashed into the post.

Chris has already given you a quick rundown of the beginning of the second half. But it was a different team. Charlton's tactics, throughout, were to lob the ball forward to their two fast attackers and hope for the best. Ours was to pass it around and send in a cross or corner. In the second half, that worked for us and not for them. Goal after goal after goal and the small gathering of R's fans were clapping - there may have been around two dozen in total.

Hall and Cousins both came off and our final two subs went on, including a new trialist, Deshane Dalling. He is a forward. Hall was reasonably solid and Cousins similar, but neither shone in this game. They just did their jobs and got the minutes under their belt.

Lumley was beaten by three good strikes in the first half, but the fourth goal was a bit of a hash by all as the ball was allowed to bounce around in our box. Kakay and Hamailinen both had good games and worked well with their wingers. Wallen, Phillips and Paul, when he came on, all had decent games, although the lack of any help from the static players in front of them certainly assisted in the goals being conceded in the first half. Shopido was one of the worst players in the first half and at one stage looked absolutely stuffed while Smyth was starved of the ball in the first half. The second was quite different with possibly three of four attacks down Smyth's wing and Shopido woke up. Greco-Cox seemed to be out of the game quite a bit and his touches let him down, both in trapping the ball and laying it off. Many a time he should have done a lot better. Akinola fought hard and deserved his goal. When Dalling came on Akinola was moved into central midfield. This is not a position for him!

Overall a great win for the boys and looking forward to Friday arvo's outing against Ipswich at HQ. They charged £3 to get in and had no canteen or anything open. Those, who were part of the "special home group" were allowed up into a certain area above the stand for half-time drinks and food. A bit pathetic, which of course makes the whole win so much better.

Just got back myself Oz. Good to meet you again. See you on Friday, 1pm in the Spoons for the next u23 game
Hall and Cousins start for Under 23s on 17:41 - Oct 16 with 1696 viewsAntti_Heinola

Thanks for upodates Smegs, sounds an amazing game!
Didn't we buy Smyth as a striker?

Bare bones.

Hall and Cousins start for Under 23s on 17:45 - Oct 16 with 1689 viewssmegma

Hall and Cousins start for Under 23s on 16:17 - Oct 16 by Rs_Holy

looking forward to seeing the highlights on the offish!

Has anyone got any info on the boy Smyth?

Look out for Shodipos 'Panenka' penalty
Hall and Cousins start for Under 23s on 18:32 - Oct 16 with 1596 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Thanks for the updates, folks. Really appreciated.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Hall and Cousins start for Under 23s on 22:38 - Oct 16 with 1362 viewsisawqpratwcity

Hall and Cousins start for Under 23s on 18:32 - Oct 16 by BrianMcCarthy

Thanks for the updates, folks. Really appreciated.

Seconded.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Hall and Cousins start for Under 23s on 23:06 - Oct 16 with 1326 viewsnix

Hall and Cousins start for Under 23s on 17:21 - Oct 16 by smegma

Just got back myself Oz. Good to meet you again. See you on Friday, 1pm in the Spoons for the next u23 game

Can you just turn up and buy tickets on the gate for Friday. Thinking of bringing the boys as on half term?
Hall and Cousins start for Under 23s on 23:45 - Oct 16 with 1293 viewsCiderwithRsie

Hall and Cousins start for Under 23s on 22:38 - Oct 16 by isawqpratwcity

Seconded.

Yeah, I'm really appreciating Smemga's updates on the u-23s this season (great to have Ozranger now too). Getting to be up there with Antti's knee-jerks as one of the highlights of this site.

It doesn't hurt that for the first time in years you feel there may be a chance of one or two of these boys getting into the 1st team.
Login to get fewer ads

Hall and Cousins start for Under 23s on 05:19 - Oct 17 with 1219 viewstimcocking

Hall and Cousins start for Under 23s on 15:47 - Oct 16 by WestbourneR

I still think Shodipo is a big big talent.

Considering we have him and really needed to spend on a striker and centre back you do have to wonder how we ended buying two raw wigners and getting LuaLua on loan.

I think our summer transfer business strategy was poor.

Three raw wingers and Lua Lua; Wheeler, Osayi Samuel and Smyth. Must be a sickener for Shodipo. I'd definitely prefer to see one of our own young players in the team ahead of a loan player, unless there was a significant difference in ability.

Still, nice to see the youngsters doing so well, didn't we get thrashed every week last year?
Hall and Cousins start for Under 23s on 09:57 - Oct 17 with 1113 viewsozranger

Hall and Cousins start for Under 23s on 23:06 - Oct 16 by nix

Can you just turn up and buy tickets on the gate for Friday. Thinking of bringing the boys as on half term?

QPR is one of the few clubs that allows entry for free. You sit in the Sth Africa Rd stand, nearer the School end. Just turn up and walk in. Sit anywhere in that part of the stand. Entry near the shop.
Hall and Cousins start for Under 23s on 10:26 - Oct 17 with 1079 viewssmegma

Hall and Cousins start for Under 23s on 05:19 - Oct 17 by timcocking

Three raw wingers and Lua Lua; Wheeler, Osayi Samuel and Smyth. Must be a sickener for Shodipo. I'd definitely prefer to see one of our own young players in the team ahead of a loan player, unless there was a significant difference in ability.

Still, nice to see the youngsters doing so well, didn't we get thrashed every week last year?

We took a few beatings yes, but dished a few out as well. We beat Colchester and Palace 5-2 but I saw us lose to Hull 6-2 and a similar game to yesterday when we drew 5-5 at home to Huddersfield. For about the first 5 or 6 games we had a settled side .Then we started to make changes, giving first team squad members games, resting kids as apparently playing 3-4 games a month is too tiring for 21 year olds. The only two regulars, Wise and Haran got released in the summer. At the time I was puzzled as Wise had captained the side in 18 appearances. I've seen him twice for Hayes and Yeading this season and the club were correct. Giles Phillips and Chris Paul are huge improvements as much as I liked Wise and Haran. The biggest problem is everyone getting a game. Yesterday Oteh, Chair, Petrasso, Dieng were missing for example. Last season we used something like 60 players, the season before it was 72. We have a lot of players in the academy/under 23 set up (and the first team of course!!) and every week some kids don't play a game at all. Yesterday we even used a triallist. That's something like the 105th triallist at all age groups in just over 12 months.
Hall and Cousins start for Under 23s on 14:05 - Oct 17 with 943 viewsnix

Hall and Cousins start for Under 23s on 09:57 - Oct 17 by ozranger

QPR is one of the few clubs that allows entry for free. You sit in the Sth Africa Rd stand, nearer the School end. Just turn up and walk in. Sit anywhere in that part of the stand. Entry near the shop.

Thanks Oz!
Hall and Cousins start for Under 23s on 15:07 - Oct 17 with 898 viewsvegasranger

Hall and Cousins start for Under 23s on 10:26 - Oct 17 by smegma

We took a few beatings yes, but dished a few out as well. We beat Colchester and Palace 5-2 but I saw us lose to Hull 6-2 and a similar game to yesterday when we drew 5-5 at home to Huddersfield. For about the first 5 or 6 games we had a settled side .Then we started to make changes, giving first team squad members games, resting kids as apparently playing 3-4 games a month is too tiring for 21 year olds. The only two regulars, Wise and Haran got released in the summer. At the time I was puzzled as Wise had captained the side in 18 appearances. I've seen him twice for Hayes and Yeading this season and the club were correct. Giles Phillips and Chris Paul are huge improvements as much as I liked Wise and Haran. The biggest problem is everyone getting a game. Yesterday Oteh, Chair, Petrasso, Dieng were missing for example. Last season we used something like 60 players, the season before it was 72. We have a lot of players in the academy/under 23 set up (and the first team of course!!) and every week some kids don't play a game at all. Yesterday we even used a triallist. That's something like the 105th triallist at all age groups in just over 12 months.

Smegma, what did you think of the trialist? He only signed for Huddersfield in January. Also Grego - Cox? For me when I've had the chance to see him he looks way below the level required.
Hall and Cousins start for Under 23s on 19:41 - Oct 17 with 798 viewsnix

Hall and Cousins start for Under 23s on 15:07 - Oct 17 by vegasranger

Smegma, what did you think of the trialist? He only signed for Huddersfield in January. Also Grego - Cox? For me when I've had the chance to see him he looks way below the level required.

I must admit I thought he was a bit lightweight at first team level but it's been some time since I've seen him play.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024