Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
this makes for grim reading for the UK 13:27 - Oct 18 with 9526 viewsbob566

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/britain/new-figures-show-britain-500
this makes for grim reading for the UK on 01:03 - Oct 19 with 1609 viewsBoston

this makes for grim reading for the UK on 18:00 - Oct 18 by WestbourneR

Oh I see the Brexit was meant to break the economy so that we could have more affordable housing! No one mentioned that master plan in the build up to the referendum. It's good to know that when you're a Brexiteer every cloud, even if it's a huge storm cloud, has a beautifully deluded silver lining.

eh?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

this makes for grim reading for the UK on 13:10 - Oct 19 with 1499 viewsderbyhoop

this makes for grim reading for the UK on 22:44 - Oct 18 by Sharpy36

Norway have to accept the four pillars of the single market, they also have to pay towards the EU project, but have no say at higher level on important issues.

But they are still not in the EU.

They must be happy to accept the 4 freedoms and unconcerned about paying for SM access.

Personally, I've never had an issue with Freedom of Movement. It gives UK citizens the right to live, work and study in 27 other countries, without the need for visas, etc.. I've only managed 3 (Germany, France and Ireland)

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

this makes for grim reading for the UK on 13:25 - Oct 19 with 1480 viewsheadhoops

Don't panic the Uk has just appointed a new financial adviser

fair play.

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

this makes for grim reading for the UK on 14:32 - Oct 19 with 1428 viewsSharpy36

this makes for grim reading for the UK on 13:10 - Oct 19 by derbyhoop

They must be happy to accept the 4 freedoms and unconcerned about paying for SM access.

Personally, I've never had an issue with Freedom of Movement. It gives UK citizens the right to live, work and study in 27 other countries, without the need for visas, etc.. I've only managed 3 (Germany, France and Ireland)

They are all but name in the EU.

See this is where we differ, i do have a problem with FoM, and had tightening of benefits and social welfare including free access to medical treatment been on the agenda when Cameron went cap in hand to Brussels and actually gained some reform i may have agreed with you, but nothing.
The infastructure of the UK was/is not set to invite half a million new arrivals year on year and we are seeing the fall out from this experiment in our front line services be it austerity measures, lack of social housing, poor performing Hospitals/GP`s etc etc etc. Wages being squeezed in the low/semi skilled sector of society.
I have absolutely no problem with controlled migration, but those wishing to work and live here need to be able to support themselves for a set period, as without looking it up i`m sure i couldn`t just turn up in the three countries you mention and expect handouts from day one, as is the case here.

'You didn't know that was wrong, but now you do. If you do it again, I'll know you are doing it on purpose.'

this makes for grim reading for the UK on 15:21 - Oct 19 with 1381 viewsQPR_John

this makes for grim reading for the UK on 13:10 - Oct 19 by derbyhoop

Surely it is semantics. If you are prepared to obey all the rules of a club you are in reality in that club.
this makes for grim reading for the UK on 15:51 - Oct 19 with 1363 viewsPhildo

Really struggling to understand how people can be following all this and still think Brexit is a good idea. Appreciate some do (as in this thread). Still not long now to see how it all turns out
this makes for grim reading for the UK on 15:59 - Oct 19 with 1353 viewsSharpy36

Really Phildo ?, i would suggest after watching Junkers "State of the union" speech, the will to leave the EU is stronger now than it was 16 months ago.
[Post edited 19 Oct 2017 16:00]

'You didn't know that was wrong, but now you do. If you do it again, I'll know you are doing it on purpose.'

this makes for grim reading for the UK on 17:14 - Oct 19 with 1309 viewsderbyhoop

this makes for grim reading for the UK on 14:32 - Oct 19 by Sharpy36

They are all but name in the EU.

See this is where we differ, i do have a problem with FoM, and had tightening of benefits and social welfare including free access to medical treatment been on the agenda when Cameron went cap in hand to Brussels and actually gained some reform i may have agreed with you, but nothing.
The infastructure of the UK was/is not set to invite half a million new arrivals year on year and we are seeing the fall out from this experiment in our front line services be it austerity measures, lack of social housing, poor performing Hospitals/GP`s etc etc etc. Wages being squeezed in the low/semi skilled sector of society.
I have absolutely no problem with controlled migration, but those wishing to work and live here need to be able to support themselves for a set period, as without looking it up i`m sure i couldn`t just turn up in the three countries you mention and expect handouts from day one, as is the case here.

From the BBC Reality Check

Can EU migrants easily claim benefits when they arrive in another EU country?
No - there are conditions, depending on an individual's circumstances.
They can stay for three months, but to stay longer after that they have to be: in work; or actively seeking work with a genuine chance of being hired; or be able to show they have enough money not to be a burden on public services. Apart from that, evidence of benefit abuse or fraud is grounds to exclude or expel a person.

If an EU migrant has permission to stay, can he or she then claim benefits?
Not automatically - a migrant still has to pass a "habitual residence test" under EU law.
The test covers factors such as the duration of the migrant's stay; their activity, including their source of income if they are students; their family status; and their housing situation. The migrant has to demonstrate a sufficient degree of attachment to the host country. The amount of time already spent in the country is not sufficient qualification in itself.
The UK applies an additional "right to reside" test, going beyond the standard EU test.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Login to get fewer ads

this makes for grim reading for the UK on 17:34 - Oct 19 with 1294 viewsWatfordR

this makes for grim reading for the UK on 15:51 - Oct 19 by Phildo

Really struggling to understand how people can be following all this and still think Brexit is a good idea. Appreciate some do (as in this thread). Still not long now to see how it all turns out

Personally I don't think it's going to be obvious just how catastrophic Brexit will turn out to be for the UK fo a decade or more, and by that time the damage will be done and irreversible.
this makes for grim reading for the UK on 17:59 - Oct 19 with 1272 viewsQPR_John

this makes for grim reading for the UK on 17:34 - Oct 19 by WatfordR

Personally I don't think it's going to be obvious just how catastrophic Brexit will turn out to be for the UK fo a decade or more, and by that time the damage will be done and irreversible.

You may be right I do not know but is that what 40 years of being in that club has done to us. From being an independent soveign country we now cannot exist without the protection of the Brussels umbrella
this makes for grim reading for the UK on 18:09 - Oct 19 with 1262 viewsBoston

this makes for grim reading for the UK on 17:59 - Oct 19 by QPR_John

You may be right I do not know but is that what 40 years of being in that club has done to us. From being an independent soveign country we now cannot exist without the protection of the Brussels umbrella

That's what the end game is.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

this makes for grim reading for the UK on 18:12 - Oct 19 with 1259 viewsSharpy36

I think you`re right, look at all the other once proud nations that have been in decline since they left the EU, such as Japan, New zealand the USA etc.

Big wide world out there, have some faith.

this makes for grim reading for the UK on 18:25 - Oct 19 with 1254 viewsWestbourneR

this makes for grim reading for the UK on 18:12 - Oct 19 by Sharpy36

I think you`re right, look at all the other once proud nations that have been in decline since they left the EU, such as Japan, New zealand the USA etc.

Big wide world out there, have some faith.

Sigh. I really despair.

Japan and the USA are not connected to the UK by a short tunnel. Europe is on our doorstep. Japan and USA are not, they're a very long way away. It makes a huge difference.

I know Brexiteers don't do experts but any economist worth his salt will tell you that the idea that we as the UK alone are going to strike better trade deals with other nations that an a huge economic bloc like Europe is totally mad.

There is no upside to this. It's a mess already, sold on lie, and it will be a disaster. I for one am slightly annoyed that we are going to have to destroy our country before the argument is proven.

I'd even vote for Jeremy Corbyn if he's stop this madness.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

this makes for grim reading for the UK on 18:42 - Oct 19 with 1245 viewsQPR_John

this makes for grim reading for the UK on 18:25 - Oct 19 by WestbourneR

Sigh. I really despair.

Japan and the USA are not connected to the UK by a short tunnel. Europe is on our doorstep. Japan and USA are not, they're a very long way away. It makes a huge difference.

I know Brexiteers don't do experts but any economist worth his salt will tell you that the idea that we as the UK alone are going to strike better trade deals with other nations that an a huge economic bloc like Europe is totally mad.

There is no upside to this. It's a mess already, sold on lie, and it will be a disaster. I for one am slightly annoyed that we are going to have to destroy our country before the argument is proven.

I really should not worry we will not leave the EU. Too many people in politics and the media have a vested interest in staying in. The referendum was not expected to give the result it did. The only negotiations are over how to tell 17 million voters their vote does count although ignoring it. In a few years we will have the Euro and be in the Schengen Area.
this makes for grim reading for the UK on 18:46 - Oct 19 with 1239 viewsBrightonhoop

this makes for grim reading for the UK on 13:25 - Oct 19 by headhoops

Don't panic the Uk has just appointed a new financial adviser

fair play.

Ha! Chief negotiater?? The sky is blue....
this makes for grim reading for the UK on 19:01 - Oct 19 with 1224 viewsSharpy36

Westbourne.

The USA are our biggest export market, and only second to Germany, china are our biggest import market.

As i say it`s a big wide world, with many emerging markets across the globe that have the potential to unlock further future growth. You may wish to listen to some self serving economist, me, i`ll continue to believe in my Country and its people. As for JC i think you`ll find he also supports leaving the EU.

this makes for grim reading for the UK on 19:31 - Oct 19 with 1205 viewsGroveR

this makes for grim reading for the UK on 18:14 - Oct 18 by LythamR

LOL . the last money i lent someone was in Thai Baht and i havent even seen the vig

Dunno about Thailand Lytham but it's spelt "vag" here in Blighty
this makes for grim reading for the UK on 19:48 - Oct 19 with 1192 viewsWatfordR

this makes for grim reading for the UK on 17:59 - Oct 19 by QPR_John

Around 100 years ago, Britain had an empire that covered a quarter of the planet and a quarter of its citizens. Now it can hardly persuade the Scots to remain part of the Union.

Prior to entering the EU, its GDP had steadily declined since WW2, and it could be argued that Britain joined the EU in an attempt to arrest that decline.

Whatever the truth of that, Britain has undeniably been in steady economic decline for a lot longer than the EU (or its predecessor the EEC) has been around. We need the help and support of others far more than others need our help and support. Until that penny drops, Britain's decline isn't going to halt. IMO.
this makes for grim reading for the UK on 19:50 - Oct 19 with 1188 viewsWatfordR

this makes for grim reading for the UK on 19:31 - Oct 19 by GroveR

Dunno about Thailand Lytham but it's spelt "vag" here in Blighty

It's "vig" in South Africa though.
this makes for grim reading for the UK on 20:12 - Oct 19 with 1166 viewsessextaxiboy

this makes for grim reading for the UK on 18:42 - Oct 19 by QPR_John

I really should not worry we will not leave the EU. Too many people in politics and the media have a vested interest in staying in. The referendum was not expected to give the result it did. The only negotiations are over how to tell 17 million voters their vote does count although ignoring it. In a few years we will have the Euro and be in the Schengen Area.

It wont ever go away now .

Even if we had another referendum and voted to stay 17 million people will lose confidence in our democracy . In the next election as long as UKIP got themselves organised and promised a third vote they would get millions of votes and would at least hold the balance of power. Their price for a coalition being the referendum of course
this makes for grim reading for the UK on 20:26 - Oct 19 with 1157 viewsessextaxiboy

Why does it have to be that way ?

Why cant we have a reasonable trade deal with the EU ( I understand that it wont be as good as being in, if it is the EU is finished ) , the EU payments being used for whatever we as a democracy demand they are used for when we vote . Trade deals with economies around the world , done or in negotiation .
Immigration used to fill our skills gaps and seasonal demands as required , giving us indication of where we need to focus careers training and recruitment for the future.

In 10 years time economists may be saying we could have been a few % better off here and there . They may have to say (as with the Euro) that we dodged a bullet.

On the missing billions , I listen to many commentators , "experts" and politicians from all parties, no one seems to either believe it or are bothered .
this makes for grim reading for the UK on 20:34 - Oct 19 with 1151 viewsessextaxiboy

this makes for grim reading for the UK on 18:25 - Oct 19 by WestbourneR

Sigh. I really despair.

Corbyn is anti EU , his voting record over decades shows it , he was the opposite to May in Referendum whispering Remain through gritted teeth .

Its amusing to see his followers who I would think overwhelmingly voted Remain chanting his name .

As we saw in the election he will say anything to get a sniff of power .
[Post edited 19 Oct 2017 20:35]
this makes for grim reading for the UK on 20:41 - Oct 19 with 1139 viewsdanehoop

this makes for grim reading for the UK on 19:01 - Oct 19 by Sharpy36

Westbourne.

The USA are our biggest export market, and only second to Germany, china are our biggest import market.

As i say it`s a big wide world, with many emerging markets across the globe that have the potential to unlock further future growth. You may wish to listen to some self serving economist, me, i`ll continue to believe in my Country and its people. As for JC i think you`ll find he also supports leaving the EU.

According to the Office of National Statistic the EU is our biggest export market taking 44% of our entire exports. The the USA is the largest individual country and accounted for 18% of our exports. A recent report in the FT showed how for almost every category of goods exported, the EU was by far a bigger market than the US.

[Post edited 19 Oct 2017 21:06]

Never knowingly understood

this makes for grim reading for the UK on 20:51 - Oct 19 with 1127 viewsQPR_John

this makes for grim reading for the UK on 19:48 - Oct 19 by WatfordR

Around 100 years ago, Britain had an empire that covered a quarter of the planet and a quarter of its citizens. Now it can hardly persuade the Scots to remain part of the Union.

Prior to entering the EU, its GDP had steadily declined since WW2, and it could be argued that Britain joined the EU in an attempt to arrest that decline.

Whatever the truth of that, Britain has undeniably been in steady economic decline for a lot longer than the EU (or its predecessor the EEC) has been around. We need the help and support of others far more than others need our help and support. Until that penny drops, Britain's decline isn't going to halt. IMO.

If we are in continued economic decline how is it that we are a net contributor to the EU. They need us for that very reason alone. Of course Germany and France would rather we were not in the club, remember de Gaulle when we originally tried to join, but they cannot afford for us to leave. But as I have said elsewhere we will not leave the EU too many vested interests
this makes for grim reading for the UK on 20:53 - Oct 19 with 1124 viewsBucksRanger

this makes for grim reading for the UK on 19:50 - Oct 19 by WatfordR

It's "vig" in South Africa though.

It was "vig" in the UK back in the '50s and '60s. It was an abbreviation for "vigorish".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vigorish
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024